Post-Game Talk: Oilers 1 Flames 0

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I admit that it wasn't his greatest game but the amount of flack he takes on here blows my mind. I got ripped on for pointing that out though.

Honest question - what was the flack he took other than observing his sub par performance?

Keep in mind I thought he was just below his average. Not garbage, but some others see it differently.

I thought outside of McD doing what only he can, breaking through a few times, that the whole first line was below average.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Honest question - what was the flack he took other than observing his sub par performance?

Keep in mind I thought he was just below his average. Not garbage, but some others see it differently.

I thought outside of McD doing what only he can, breaking through a few times, that the whole first line was below average.

Drai has games where he looks to be dogging it and not engaged - I would classify last night as one of those games. He needs to get rid of that. That is probably the main reason people have issues with him. If you screw up but look like you are giving 100% you get leeway. If you screw up and look like you are out for a sunday skate it pisses people off.

Reactions: frag2

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Glad to hear it looked better in person. The Snet telecast was as usual awful. Bad sound mix, such poor picture quality (definitely not HD) that you sometimes had trouble picking out the numbers. The production values of the telecast were awful and mostly because of Coles absolutely inane game call. The guy made probably 100 player identification mistakes last night. If it was Saturday Night I could have played along and had a drinking game with it. The funny thing is he was even being subtly corrected on his mistakes and he didn't even realize or care. For instance on shift he's calling Spooner Nuge all shift (poor RNH, I'm sure he doesn't want that) and the other commentator called out the line taking the faceoff on the next shift, including, cough, Spooner. I don't think Cole even realized he was calling players Nuge for around 3 shifts in a row.

Debrusk was almost as bad. I wonder about CTE. he was calling out players and not even having the right player on the play.

A few other things. Show the ****ing game. Faceoffs are a part of the game. sTop panning to the crowd or showing some feature when the game is actually going on. Also maybe pan out once in awhile so we can actually see the game going on and whats going on?

I'm starting to think SNET telecasts are intentionally bad to encourage more gate and people wanting to go to the games. Bring Cole out of retirement and they might have something there..

Since day one of SN taking over all the games I've been bitching about the production. They have no clue how to capture the buildup to the start of the game or bring any of the feel during the game to the broadcast.

Reactions: Aerrol

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Drai has games where he looks to be dogging it and not engaged - I would classify last night as one of those games. He needs to get rid of that. That is probably the main reason people have issues with him. If you screw up but look like you are giving 100% you get leeway. If you screw up and look like you are out for a sunday skate it pisses people off.

I agree. And I also feel this board is knowledgable to know that as s big man he can look less intense at times.

But the excuses for this player when he has a lackadaisical disinterested game are unreal. Proper fans simply call out his play - and yes we do it many times we he is exceptional in games - which he is capable of.

Perhaps there's an easy solution to this. If the defenders of Drais play dont want others to point it out, then maybe he should step it up at times.

And FTR, he seems tired or perhaps under the weather to me. I can give the beast some slack, but dont mind others seeing him differently in a game.

Reactions: frag2

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
While Todd is a very good coach, Hitch has made it very apparent that Todd wasn’t the right coach. He was too hands off. Hitch has been very hands on, and you can see it in the way the guys are playing right now. It’s all the little plays.

And I would argue that he kind of did do some of it with his positivity. Look at Pulju right now vs Yak with Eakins. Both players have all kinds of talent but are extremely raw. Hitch keeps finding things to praise with Jesse, and Jesse in turn seems to have more jump every game. Everything Hitch praises, Jesse seems to do better at the next game, such as how active he’s been with his stick in transition. Yak on the other hand was constantly bashed, and let’s not forget the infamous “I benched him to reinforce his good play”. He got more and more lost as he continued to lose confidence, until he was a ghost of his 12/13 self that lead the NHL in rookie scoring.

I am not a McLellan fan, and not tryin to be overly harsh on him. I agree that Hitch has made it very apparently that Todd wasnt the right coach for this team. He never used the players in the way Chiarelli envisioned. But in all seriousness (and this is not for you but others as well), what kind of team would McLellan need in order to succeed? Seems like to me, he needs a more veteran team with a lot of really good players. But then you ask yourself, if hes even the best person to be coaching a team like that because he doesnt know how to adjust in game and seems to get outcoached in the playoffs. Hes a very good coach in the sense that any coach in the NHL is pretty much a good coach in the grand scheme of things, but honestly I am staring to think hes actually a below average coach in the NHL. He only goes as far as the talent on his roster can take him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I am not a McLellan fan, and not tryin to be overly harsh on him. I agree that Hitch has made it very apparently that Todd wasnt the right coach for this team. He never used the players in the way Chiarelli envisioned. But in all seriousness (and this is not for you but others as well), what kind of team would McLellan need in order to succeed? Seems like to me, he needs a more veteran team with a lot of really good players. But then you ask yourself, if hes even the best person to be coaching a team like that because he doesnt know how to adjust in game and seems to get outcoached in the playoffs. Hes a very good coach in the sense that any coach in the NHL is pretty much a good coach in the grand scheme of things, but honestly I am staring to think hes actually a below average coach in the NHL. He only goes as far as the talent on his roster can take him.

That’s definitely fair. I think the main thing with Todd is too have a strong defense. He was successful in San Jose with a strong defense and just look at the team we had in 16/17. We had 3 #2/3 dmen (Sekera/Larsson/Klefa), 2 #4/5 dmen (Nurse/Russell), and a guy who isn’t a #4/5, but who played like it when with Sekera (Benning). We were able to roll 3 pairings that could be our best pairing any given night, and all 3 could play in any situation. Without that strength on the blueline, Todd’s systems didn’t look nearly as good, and we sucked last year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Serious?

I was pretty entertained. The first half was a frenetic pace with lots of high quality chances (most from the Oilers), there was some huge hits, a fight, some trash talking then the last half of the game was a tight checking battle with both teams fighting hard for their space. This was the type of game that the Kings won in their Cup runs, a team that you admired.

The PP was appalling and it got a bit choppy at times in the latter half but I personally enjoyed it. It was the most engaged I was in an Oilers game since Game 7 against Anaheim.

Please, the Kings would play complete games without giving up a serious scoring chance. The Flames had a handful of chances early in the game including their top scorer having all kinds of time to setup from scoring range who just sifts a shot into Koski's pad. The Kings would limit shots to perimeter, not call on their goalie to make constant in close saves.

If I thought this was a great D team I could be excited about. But I know how porous this club is, how normal the D is, and how disinclined they are to cover lanes and assignments for any length of time.

Plus the 1970's called, they want 4 players standing on the blueline back. jebus, how long before that stunt starts getting scouted and owned. I'm a purist, if pro players and pro teams can't figure out how to defeat that I'm sitting there laughing at incompetence.

Hey, credit, the Oilers learned not to sucker for the Flames stupid shit as per last game, I get that, but the Flames currently lack tactical coaching and didn't have one specific scheme for the oilers or response to what the Oilers were doing.

If I had faith this team was going to retain this type of result I'd be more behind it. But theres very rare games this team is going to be winning 1-0.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
That’s definitely fair. I think the main thing with Todd is too have a strong defense. He was successful in San Jose with a strong defense and just look at the team we had in 16/17. We had 3 #2/3 dmen (Sekera/Larsson/Klefa), 2 #4/5 dmen (Nurse/Russell), and a guy who isn’t a #4/5, but who played like it when with Sekera (Benning). We were able to roll 3 pairings that could be our best pairing any given night, and all 3 could play in any situation. Without that strength on the blueline, Todd’s systems didn’t look nearly as good, and we sucked last year.

I agree. Makes you wonder though if the Sharks had a different coach when the majority of their players were in their prime if they would of done a lot more. In hindsight, McLellans "success" with the Sharks is probably a weakness because another coach would of got much more out of the team than he did. Even Deboer got the Sharks to the cup final with a worse roster and players that were past their prime than McLellan had.

Reactions: The Nuge

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yeah it’s a shame that Russell and Larsson get so much hate simply because certain posters hate the GM who acquired them.

I got time on my team for a guy who sacrifices his body like Russell. Im just hoping Nurse steps it up a lil.

In all things considered, this East Coast Oiler fan is very happy

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As per what I do, usually late with catching up with threads.

But I have to disagree with the being a lot of anger in here.
Seems like just observations to me.

No anger or unpleasantness? One poster not even participating was being mocked in name in several posts. With several posters cheering that bullying on.

Another poster that was participating was told to GTFO and start cheering for Calgary.

I've seen the zoo here, know what it looks like and when its rolling here.

Realize as well that a massive clean up would have occurred after the very many inappropriate posts last night. Including around 100 mentions of "skank" and "skankhunter" Which was offensive for the sake of it and had no connection, obviously, with the topic of hockey.

The point is these are behaviors that should not be directed at other Oilers fans here, on the Oilers board. Why the need to select some posters out and start carving them in mass? To me that's the kind of High School cutdown bs that shouldn't have a place in School, or in Adult public life.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree. Makes you wonder though if the Sharks had a different coach when the majority of their players were in their prime if they would of done a lot more. In hindsight, McLellans "success" with the Sharks is probably a weakness because another coach would of got much more out of the team than he did. Even Deboer got the Sharks to the cup final with a worse roster and players that were past their prime than McLellan had.

Not really hindsight for me anyway, I was saying it at the time. Remember the times I'd get shouted off the board for detailing how DeBoer was obviously a better coach than McLellan? People don't like to hear truths they are not prepared to hear. I was warning people here what McLellan was and specifically someone that wouldn't even line match and a coach that would go along with whatever management said about players and including his star group.

McLellans issue is he skates only for Mclellan.

hows that?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I was gonna mention that as well. Benning has been MUCH better since Hitchcock arrived along with Gravel. Benning can hit and has a shot. I strongly feel that Russell and Larsson were our best D last night. For the hate Russell and Benning have received, they have really stepped up

Benning is precisely the type of player who should be doing better under Hitch as well. He’s pretty good offensively, and hits like a train, but he needs structure. Sekera was able to carry him in that regard. Last year and this year, he lost that steadying presence. I’m really hoping Hitch can get him to a point where he doesn’t need that other guy. If he can put up ~25 points, and be that physically presence, while anchoring our 3rd pairing, that would be huge for this team.

The Russell hate might be one of the stupidest things around the league. He’s a solid #4, or a great #5, and people hate him simply because someone came up with a stat that says he sucks. Anyone who watches the game can see his value out there.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I see the fLames going on a nosedive after this beating. A market correction is in order.

In a 7 games series, I see us winning in 5 games against these goofs.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Currently, Drai is just a top line player.

Beast-mode Drai is elite.

If we can get consistency out of him, he would be Kopitar.

I mean, you say that, but Kopitar is one of the least consistent star players in the league. Every other year for that guy is WAY down offensively.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
As per your question:
It's almost like Draisaitl was garbage and deserves criticism

Is a great snapshot.

I agree. And I also feel this board is knowledgable to know that as s big man he can look less intense at times.

But the excuses for this player when he has a lackadaisical disinterested game are unreal. Proper fans simply call out his play - and yes we do it many times we he is exceptional in games - which he is capable of.

Perhaps there's an easy solution to this. If the defenders of Drais play dont want others to point it out, then maybe he should step it up at times.

And FTR, he seems tired or perhaps under the weather to me. I can give the beast some slack, but dont mind others seeing him differently in a game.

As to the bolded: LOL no it's not. There's a few posters here that are aware of it AND keep it in mind in their criticisms, but by are large no way. Most of the critiques are out as soon as he looks anything less than his 2016-17 playoff domination self, where he's smoking people and making it all happen on his own. I hope he develops his skating and cardio further so he can keep up with McDavid all game, just to quiet the damn whining down.

What plays did he do badly this game? A few passes that got picked off, and slower than the fastest skater on the planet to the backcheck. He also was integral with a beautiful saucer on our only goal of the game, and also picked off a few passes of his own in addition to helping create offensive pressure. I'd say he had about an average game for him all things considered...which is 'bad' here. Drives me crazy.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I covered this in the GDT, but Todd loves setting up high-to-low plays off of dump ins.

He needs a defenceman with a bomb, a genius at tipping pucks, a winger with speed for puck retrieval, and a centre who can hold the puck on the boards and dish it.

You know, like some kind of Burns, Pavelski, Marleau, Thornton combo.

Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not really hindsight for me anyway, I was saying it at the time. Remember the times I'd get shouted off the board for detailing how DeBoer was obviously a better coach than McLellan? People don't like to hear truths they are not prepared to hear. I was warning people here what McLellan was and specifically someone that wouldn't even line match and a coach that would go along with whatever management said about players and including his star group.

McLellans issue is he skates only for Mclellan.

hows that?
Hell the season we made the playoffs I was screaming at McLellan constantly. The team was playing great but he was doing so much to stifle it.

Reactions: oobga and North

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
As per what I do, usually late with catching up with threads.

But I have to disagree with the being a lot of anger in here.
Seems like just observations to me.

Keep in mind that it seems that a lot of stuff got cleaned up by the mods, comparing the thread now to last night.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mean, you say that, but Kopitar is one of the least consistent star players in the league. Every other year for that guy is WAY down offensively.

Truth here. The reality is Draisaitl has now passed Kopitar who is getting paid 10M longterm and is appreciably declining.

Draisaitl not only is Kopitar, but better. Do people check around the league when saying such things?

Kopitar has also had the career benefit of playing with elite Defenders every season, guys that really support offense like nothing we ever have, and has had an allstar topsix his whole time there in LA. There is NEVER a period in time in which Kopitar is playing with two players, simultaneously, the likes of Khaira, and Strome and having to weave some magic around that.

Reactions: Messrules11

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I see the fLames going on a nosedive after this beating. A market correction is in order.

In a 7 games series, I see us winning in 5 games against these goofs.
I see it as a 7 game series. They are a deep team and that's dangerous. However if our team can play the way they can and McDavid gets his chances, we can win it.

The only way this team really goes far in the playoffs is the LA style, every series to game 7 slug fest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad