Post-Game Talk: Oilers 1 Flames 0

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
lol....they played a Nashville team that was without Forsberg, Arvidson and Subban

Ya - no s**t. Forgot about that in all the whining.

I am trying to remember what I heard about an hour or so ago on 960 Calgary. Derek doorknob calls in and basically said it was the travel, 3 in 5 nights, no Gio or Backlund and any other bloody excuse for them losing.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Kind of amusing to see so many posters saying it was an exciting game and/or who cares that it was a boring win when this board has routinely ripped on the Wild and Devils for years for playing boring defensive hockey, lol.

That said I'll take the physical win for sure, and agree that it's nice to see the team playing calmer with a one goal lead. Not sure I buy that the offense is going to come more regularly though and not very impressed with the power play. We need to start burying chances and I didn't really like the breakout today.

Draisaitl was not nearly as bad as people are whining about (again). He's had better games but he created more than he gave away, as he almost always does.

I hate defensive, trap teams.
I dont see the Oilers as one though. I think once the defensive responsibilities are taken care of, the players have carted blanche to do what they want offensively.
And with McD, that can be a lot.

.... not boring

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I actually sort of think the telecast contributes to what people are thinking. According to Cole Draisaitl gave the puck away once and he wasn't even on the ice. In another instance Cole is calling Nuge McDavid. In another instance Benning is Nuge. In another instance Spooner became Nuge. Nuge must have played 35mins last night...;) jebus anybody with a 3 or a 9 on his jersey was either Nuge or McDavid.

Other players on the PP gave the puck away multiple times. No need to mention names, and several did. The point isn't whether Draisaitl did, its why the singular focus is on him every GDT. Wouldn't surprise me if negative comments about Draisaitl were contained in 25% of the posts in the GDT. I just took a quick glance.

Meanwhile Lucic is anointed hero, Bob Cole says he's "well loved here in Edmonton, a fan favorite" lmfao and on this board he's cheered for wearing the biker jacket, "good for him", "played a great game" wut??!!

The guy is hauling in 6M longterm, is the single biggest impediment to us having a more complete topsix roster, cannot even play in topsix, but still eats up contract and has 2 ****ing goals in the last calender year. But this player is great because he kept the puck in twice in a hockey game. jebus, someone teach fido a new trick..

Maybe it was Cole but his criticism of some players and praise of others (Lucic) is galling. At least he liked Nuge and McDavid. But saying McD is better than Gretzky is absolutely ridiculous. What revisionist claptrap. Mcd is not close to reading the ice as well as the great one. For Cole of all people to be saying that is embarrassing.

I just laugh at Coles inability to call the right names. Hes a legend to me and I'm ok with him on his Sean song. Puts into perspective how nad Quinn is. I also laugh at him for screwing up names.

As for Lucic - what are we supposed to do? He played well in his new limited role. It's not his fault he was given the contract. As long as his effort is there, there's not much you can ask for. It's not him I hold responsible for not being able to significantly upgrade.
But that's for another thread...!

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I dont see the Oilers as one though. I think once the defensive responsibilities are taken care of, the players have carted blanche to do what they want offensively.

.... not boring

I'd say we're about as boring as a team can possibly be with McDavid on it. That said, it's really the only way this team can have any success, so I mean what's the alternative.

That one Dallas game without McDavid on it though holy shit balls was that painful to watch.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
@Drivesaitl

,,, forgot to add about Gretz.
I'm hoping hes just playing to the current fans.
Conner is the best in the world for sure currently, and the fastest player I've ever seen while controlling the puck.

But he is not, not di I think he will ever be better than Wayne Gretzky. I dont think the sport will ever see it.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'd say we're about as boring as a team can possibly be with McDavid on it. That said, it's really the only way this team can have any success, so I mean what's the alternative.

That one Dallas game without McDavid on it though holy **** balls was that painful to watch.

Agree.
But maybe it's a hybrid I feel we can achieve. There's no way even Hitch makes Conners line play trap.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Glad to hear it looked better in person. The Snet telecast was as usual awful. Bad sound mix, such poor picture quality (definitely not HD) that you sometimes had trouble picking out the numbers. The production values of the telecast were awful and mostly because of Coles absolutely inane game call. The guy made probably 100 player identification mistakes last night. If it was Saturday Night I could have played along and had a drinking game with it. The funny thing is he was even being subtly corrected on his mistakes and he didn't even realize or care. For instance on shift he's calling Spooner Nuge all shift (poor RNH, I'm sure he doesn't want that) and the other commentator called out the line taking the faceoff on the next shift, including, cough, Spooner. I don't think Cole even realized he was calling players Nuge for around 3 shifts in a row.

Debrusk was almost as bad. I wonder about CTE. he was calling out players and not even having the right player on the play.

A few other things. Show the ****ing game. Faceoffs are a part of the game. sTop panning to the crowd or showing some feature when the game is actually going on. Also maybe pan out once in awhile so we can actually see the game going on and whats going on?

I'm starting to think SNET telecasts are intentionally bad to encourage more gate and people wanting to go to the games. Bring Cole out of retirement and they might have something there..

The telecasts are really piss poor. It's been only lately (I just realized) that the sound dosent go way the f**k up then down all game.
This game it sounded like there were 100 people in the stands and a wall between them and the ice. Then all of a sudden you hear a "f**k" from a player that the mics picked up!
And I can't stand the constant the constant missing of action either. Especially when something happens off camera, the crowd is going nuts, andnothing is shown for sometimes up to 4/5 seconds or not at all.
Bush league.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Calgarypuck pregame yesterday: we got dis, no reason we lose to the greasers, we first place, blah, blah blah.

Calgarypuck postgame yesterday: I have at least 5 excuses why the flames lost. Is that the best they can do. Blah blah blah

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
bolded goes both ways. People have the right to point out mistakes made by players like Drai\Nurse and not have the DEFENDERS come out at them.
fans here need to learn to ignore certain posters.. Me being one if you cant handle Strome\Drai callouts in GDT. GDT is where you post on the current shift and if you see a dumb play you have the full right to call out the player.. McDavid had his share of neutral zone cough ups last night.

I like it.
Well said. Agree fully.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'm not saying that fans can't call out dumb plays. What I take exception to is comments like "Player X is trash," "Player Y is a piece of crap," "Player Z is a complete moron." There are a few posters that really go overboard to the point of attacking players rather than plays.

For me I didn't realize that a lot of crap gets cleaned up before I see it. I honestly dont (or didnt) see anything wrong with the callouts.
But obviously I dont see the s**t that goes too far.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013

That one Dallas game without McDavid on it though holy **** balls was that painful to watch.

Agreed. I saw it as a painful and real example of where we would be without #97.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
How scared and conservative we played with a lead that year still, even though Talbot kept shutting the door. I think many people had a thought in their back of their head that would kill us eventually. And god, in the worst possible way it did.

How we went quietly into the night from that BS from the league in Aneheim series still pisses me off.
Do I think a different coach and GM would have produced a different outcome? Not sure.
But I'm darn certain we should have stood up for ourselves, complained, sent video in, whatever. That's what I feel a proper management should do.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

.... not boring
I have not really found them boring of late. They are aggressive and are still attacking offensively.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I don’t live in Edmonton but I can see how players are driven outta Edmonton. When the team struggles , the fans pick a player and vent on him. Unfortunately, that is usually Benning and Russell. In preseason, everyone hated Koskinen

If professional hockey players can't handle the crap that comes thier way, along with the praise, then they can f**k off.
When people go too far, then it is understandable that the players complain about it.

But seriously,? If you are playing hockey in a Canadian city, expect the same fish bowl life as a footballer in Europe.

Fans dont drive players away. They are the reason they are paid as well as they are, and why theyre held in such high regard.

God I'm sick of this rhetoric.
No one told them to become hockey players. If they can't take it - I dont want them anyway.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The telecasts are really piss poor. It's been only lately (I just realized) that the sound dosent go way the f**k up then down all game.
This game it sounded like there were 100 people in the stands and a wall between them and the ice. Then all of a sudden you hear a "f**k" from a player that the mics picked up!
And I can't stand the constant the constant missing of action either. Especially when something happens off camera, the crowd is going nuts, andnothing is shown for sometimes up to 4/5 seconds or not at all.
Bush league.
I noticed Sportsnet was replaying the game this morning and I decided to watch it again to figure out why the broadcast was so poor. Watching live the night before it seemed like there was no atmosphere in the building. Watching it again, if you listened hard, you could hear the crowd cheering. I honestly think they muted out the crowd noise more than usual to be better able to focus on Bob Cole’s call of the game. I think that was a mistake because so much energy was lost doing that and the game appeared to be a snooze fest as a result.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I noticed Sportsnet was replaying the game this morning and I decided to watch it again to figure out why the broadcast was so poor. Watching live the night before it seemed like there was no atmosphere in the building. Watching it again, if you listened hard, you could hear the crowd cheering. I honestly think they muted out the crowd noise more than usual to be better able to focus on Bob Cole’s call of the game. I think that was a mistake because so much energy was lost doing that and the game appeared to be a snooze fest as a result.

Exactly!!!
And I'm sure you're right about the reason.

Reactions: Aerchon

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

Completely agree. Don't get me wrong, I love Bob Cole, the guys voice just sounds like hockey to me, but he's so slow about it now that it does come off a little dry.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Hearing the crowd on the feed is pretty much the best thing ever. Can't believe they crank the commentators in a broadcast where we can see whats going on.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
It was making me think I was crazy during the game.
And I saw others asking (and answering) about it in the GDT.

But here's video of Koskinen hitting his stick against the post as the flames are gonna enter the zone.
Don't really hear the ding in the video, but still...

Holy crap thanks

I thought I was going crazy hearing posts

Reactions: SnooPac

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

.... not boring

You should've seen Gaudreau trying to skate the puck past the red line (rarely happened).

We forced him to the boards and forced him to dump. Might not have been the DPE trap, but it was definitely the same thing Nashville did to Chicago during their playoff sweep that had Patrick Kane throwing a hissy fit.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If professional hockey players can't handle the crap that comes thier way, along with the praise, then they can f**k off.
When people go too far, then it is understandable that the players complain about it.

But seriously,? If you are playing hockey in a Canadian city, expect the same fish bowl life as a footballer in Europe.

Fans dont drive players away. They are the reason they are paid as well as they are, and why theyre held in such high regard.

God I'm sick of this rhetoric.
No one told them to become hockey players. If they can't take it - I dont want them anyway.

In Edmonton , hockey is a religion. People live and breathe it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Ya - no s**t. Forgot about that in all the whining.

I am trying to remember what I heard about an hour or so ago on 960 Calgary. Derek doorknob calls in and basically said it was the travel, 3 in 5 nights, no Gio or Backlund and any other bloody excuse for them losing.

Nashville was also missing Turris and Rinne didn’t play that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad