Oiler Prospects at the '16 WJHC

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Kind of like how Curtis Hamilton was a WJC stud for Canada?

Last that I checked Griff also played at the WJC's so if that's the measure of success then what's the big deal?

..:laugh:..I was just throwing out a suggestion since we don't have any keepers in the tournament. I know I'll be watching to get a better read on that trade. As of right now I'm not too worried. I'm actually glad the Isles didn't take a different combination of players. I don't think Barzal finishes enough and is injury prone. Beauvillier looks like a shrimp and isn't that great of a skater. On the other hand Grif has been underwhelming. Looking forward to seeing what these guys can do against a step up in competition.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Lagesson is more Jason Smith than Ference. Ference is too good of a person to be nasty :laugh: You'll see Lagesson wallpaper more than a few guys this tournament.

No he/she won't. The essence of that comment in itself was so ridiculous that I am sure the person writing it does not care and does not watch.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Lagesson is more Jason Smith than Ference. Ference is too good of a person to be nasty :laugh: You'll see Lagesson wallpaper more than a few guys this tournament.

Not really. In all games i have seen Lagesson/Lagertha he has not hit anybody. He plays like Niklas Hjalmarsson.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Kind of like how Curtis Hamilton was a WJC stud for Canada?

To this day, I have no clue what y'all saw in Hamilton at the WJC. I thought he was a passenger - slow decision maker, slow skater, but big so he can dominate at lower leagues.

I'm watching the WJC because of Chartier. He's one of those under the radar players that could break out. If somehow the Oilers could swing a trade for him - that would be even better :)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
^that's pathetic and one reason why i was glad that Stu MacGregor and his staff were let go! :rant:

Not really. We didn't have any picks between McDavid and Jones (who was a late cut) and Bear (who should have gotten a camp invite but Team Canada is decided in June) this year, or Draisaitl and Lagesson the year before that. Anyone before that would be too old.

Its a u-20 tournament. Tough to have much representation when you're drafting top 3 or fourth round.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Chiarelli trade down this year to grab a lower 1st and a couple 2nds. The cupboards are pretty bare.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^due to bad picks in the past, these last 2 drafts we've had to trade our 2nd and 3rd rounders, so ya, it's partly Stu and his staff's fault for drafting bust after bust after the 1st round and leaving us in a position where we had to trade these picks in my opinion.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I didn't catch the replay. Good for him then. I mean 1-1 in a 7-2 ain't impressive but still lol.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Man I would love if we could draft Laine or Puljuujarvi. They would be exactly what we need in the top 6

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Man I would love if we could draft Laine or Puljuujarvi. They would be exactly what we need in the top 6

I would love it if we could just draft period!

Teams and number of players in world juniors.

Cal 7
PHI 7
Detroit 6
ARZ 6
Bos 5
T.O. 5
Min 5
Ott 5
Van 4
FLA 4
LA 4
CHI 4
Wpg 3
TB 3
NJD 3
NYR 3
CAR 3
Columbus 3
ANA 3
DAL 2
COL 2
SJ 2
ED 1
BUF 1
Montreal 0

McDeathbyCheerios*

I would love it if we could just draft period!

Teams and number of players in world juniors.

Cal 7
PHI 7
Detroit 6
ARZ 6
Bos 5
T.O. 5
Min 5
Ott 5
Van 4
FLA 4
LA 4
CHI 4
Wpg 3
TB 3
NJD 3
NYR 3
CAR 3
Columbus 3
ANA 3
DAL 2
COL 2
SJ 2
ED 1
BUF 1
Montreal 0
Most of our good prospects are already in the nhl

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He had a good game. Not saying its negative. Just hard to be super impressed in blow outs against weak teams.

I wasn't watching closely for him but...

Horrendous positioning to start the game that lead to a break away.

He was invisible besides that in the first and second. I don't know if he was benched or what but just didn't see him and his flowing locks much at all.

End of the second, assist, and the third finally started noticing him and he played well.

No PP time at all I don't think. Worked on the PK. Third pairing #7 on their team I am thinking? Has been a healthy scratch at times?

Looking for a better assessment but the very little I've heard seen isn't exactly promising.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I wasn't watching closely for him but...

Horrendous positioning to start the game that lead to a break away.

He was invisible besides that in the first and second. I don't know if he was benched or what but just didn't see him and his flowing locks much at all.

End of the second, assist, and the third finally started noticing him and he played well.

No PP time at all I don't think. Worked on the PK. Third pairing #7 on their team I am thinking? Has been a healthy scratch at times?

Looking for a better assessment but the very little I've heard seen isn't exactly promising.
He played some good defensive hockey with a bit of an edge in last years tournament, I don't know how Sweden looks on its prospects that go overseas instead of playing back home, but a lot of other programs tend to put a lower emphasis on players that play outside of the national program/leagues unless they are clearly the best U-20 player available. Like for example Russia or USA over-looking superior CHL prospects in favor of less talented ones in the KHL or NCAA. If he plays like the player I seen last year with one more year of development I can't imagine him not finding a regular shift on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad