Oiler Prospects at the '16 WJHC

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Happy Holidays, everyone!

Which of our prospects are playing in the tournament this year?

Which could be playing, but aren't? (Other than McDangerous)

Do we expect any of them to play big roles?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Caleb Jones was cut from the US team and Ethan Bear was not invited because Team Canada is essentially chosen in June.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Mainly because Chia went after Griffin Reinhart at the 2015 draft, which is understandable.

Ethan Bear in the top 25 for WHL scoring, almost the top 20.

Lagesson should have a big role for Sweden being a top 4 defenceman on that team.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Lack of high picks this year, and last year MacT ended up taking a number of overagers at the draft, so outside of Lagesson there's no other 19 year olds in the organization.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You'd expect bear to make it next year at this rate, no?

I think Canada had some great options and Bear really only turned it up for 30 years. Maybe an invite was in order, but making the team is tough

Lagesson will probaly play a small role. Although him making it over Kylington still makes me laugh

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
It's always nice to see the draft eligible players at these things, we've drafted a few of them. It almost seems like watching Oiler prospects at the WJC is a Christmas tradition.
Eberle, Paajarvi, Lander, Hall, Hamilton, Marincin, Roy, RNH, Klefbom, Yakupov, Draisaitl, Nurse and McDavid have all been fun to watch (not sure if I'm missing anyone).

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I have not seen Lagesson for over a year but I hope I get the chance to in this WJC. I like that the coach, when talking about the lineup, especially mentioned Lagesson as the one that "it will hurt to play against".

He is on SWE 1st pair, and wears an A, on a team that is amongst the favorites to win this year and which left Kylington out...

Edit: and the hair ...

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Meh not a big Barzal fan

Chia straight up said at the draft the player they wanted at 16 wasn't barzal, anyways whoever is was is probably playing at the world juniors, I widely defended the trade at the time but now it's looking less great. Anyways to stay on topic, we've had multiple players almost every year playing there it will be different to not have many this year, luckily some of these players play in the NHL now

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I guess we can all get a good look at the guys we gave up for Grif playing for team canada.....:popcorn:....

Kind of like how Curtis Hamilton was a WJC stud for Canada?

Last that I checked Griff also played at the WJC's so if that's the measure of success then what's the big deal?

lauder73

May 9, 2011
I'll be watching Finland close this tourney to see how Jesse Puljujärvi ad Patrick Laine look, could be a couple big wingers the Oilers may target in this years draft.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Scratched the supposed top pairing Dman wearing a letter .. Sounds very Ference'ish
.... It was the last pre tournament game and they wanted their top d rested and to see the rest of the d so they knew who to cut...

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'll be watching Finland close this tourney to see how Jesse Puljujärvi ad Patrick Laine look, could be a couple big wingers the Oilers may target in this years draft.
Could you imagine a line of
Hall - Drai - Laine

That would be a lot to handle.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I'm really interested in seeing Charlie McAvoy for the States for the same reason. Could be available in the early 2nd and definitely fits the needs of our depth chart as a RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad