Oiler goaltending talk - what's to be done?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So are you cheering for them to lose because you like Scrivens? I don't get it.

You know what, Ben didn't have alot of help last year, Neither did Neuvirth or Lindback (both terrible goalies), who had even less help put up reasonable numbers last year. Why can't Scrivens, why is he absolved from this?

You need to get over whatever your issue is and understand that Scrivens was terrible last year and got beat out for his job. He's not good enough.

Calm the drama. Noting that starting any season with two goalies with a combined sub 100 games experience is a bad idea, and seldom successful in anyway is just saying that. It isn't hoping for a bad result. Its stating bad results generally come from such Conkannen like strategy. That's on Chia.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah, I do find it interesting that Talbot is getting the start tonight. I thought for sure they would give one of the bubble guys the start so this leads me to believe that McLellan wants Talbot to prove that he's worthy.

Occams razor deduction is the team bailed on Talbot in previous game and has been told they damn well better play better in front of him tonight.

If I'm Mclellan I'm telling the troops they owe it to their planned #1 goalie to show him something better than **** with their play in front of him.

Also of course for Talbot to get the stink of that game out of his mind in preparation for the opening game of the season, against the Blues, which Talbot will also get.

You can't let your #1 start the season with his last start still being the Vancouver debacle.

Reset all round is needed here. Consider it a do over game. That's essentially what the team is being told.

It sounds silly in preseason. But this is an important game.

This is about the team starting the season with some confidence, or not.

Last edited:

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
So are you cheering for them to lose because you like Scrivens? I don't get it.

You know what, Ben didn't have alot of help last year, Neither did Neuvirth or Lindback (both terrible goalies), who had even less help put up reasonable numbers last year. Why can't Scrivens, why is he absolved from this?

You need to get over whatever your issue is and understand that Scrivens was terrible last year and got beat out for his job. He's not good enough.

It's true what you say (bolded), but I get what Replacement is saying also about the lack of experience in net. It is a little frightening, but it's where you have to start without paying out a lot for an experienced goaltender. It's a calculated risk. Scrivens has more experience, but he really didn't show well last season, when he had to shoulder the responsibility of being the starter. When he arrived in Oilerland, Scrivens stood on his head and played exceptionally well. Over time, like others before him, he was beaten down and lost confidence. Goaltending is a position that needs to be strong, however; and someone has to make the difficult decisions. I can't disagree with this one, if it's true. It could bear out to be the wrong one, only time will tell, but Nilsson has taken Scriven's job with his strong play this pre-season. Scriven's play vs. Nilsson's play last season also has to factor in.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I think that it's Talbot's to lose, but I also think that if he doesn't step it up, probably beginning tonight, he may get pulled, and we'll see Nilsson between the pipes. If Talbot is pulled tonight, it gets pretty interesting. Mclellan is focused on winning. He can't be focused on anything else.

Nope, he's focused on building a winning team. There is a difference. If he sees a player move that might hurt a little in the short term but will pay off down the road he's going to take it. He said as much when he started here.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I thought Talbot played a strong game. Made many tough saves. Looked into the game. Only once this whole game did i feel he lost sight of the puck.

Great puck control and stick handling... For the most part.

Unfortunately not quite good enough to steal a win tho. Probably not a bad idea to start with all three until we see him play this good/better for an extended period of time.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Talbot had quite the goalie battle with Miller last night. Good all round game from him. He's still shaking off some rust though, so it might take a few games to be in form. One huge difference I've noted between Talbot and say Scrivens, is that Talbot really knows how to control the game in his zone. He's also much more capable of reading the play and what is going on around him than many of our past "#1's".

One basic play that I saw was just gloving the puck when his team had been out there for too long and were very obviously tired. He made a good decision, something that was totally lacking in many previous starter's goaltending arsenals. Decision making skills. He is mentally "in the game". Good rebound control (except for 1 60 footer right in front) as well. Stickwork is better than Scrivens for sure but still needs work,but that is also on the D to be in the right position.

The real battle in my mind is between Scrivens and Nilsson, both of which we haven't seen allot of yet. Next game means points though, so they have to make a decision ASAP. Hopefully tomorrow.

EDIT:

This is the right decision IMO.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So happy with Talbot so far. He's everything I expected him to be. I was quite high on him and Martin Jones and was very interested in both so it makes me happy to see them both doing really well so far. Nilsson on the other hand I'm still not quite sure what to make of, guessing he gets the start tonight, hopefully he can be solid and give the team a chance to keep the momentum going and pick up a 2nd win.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So happy with Talbot so far. He's everything I expected him to be. I was quite high on him and Martin Jones and was very interested in both so it makes me happy to see them both doing really well so far. Nilsson on the other hand I'm still not quite sure what to make of, guessing he gets the start tonight, hopefully he can be solid and give the team a chance to keep the momentum going and pick up a 2nd win.

Talbot's looked great like I expected him to. Has let in a few unlucky/weird ones, but you can tell this is the guy that makes you some big stops every night to give you a chance to win.

Nilsson I think looked pretty good against Dallas. Made a lot of high quality saves and tbh that bad angle goal he let in was hard to fault him on that much. He had the post pretty tight and had his stick positioned to deflect it to the corner, but it just somehow rode up his stick blade and in. Either way I think he will be a solid backup who can play 30 games and give the team a chance to win more often than any goalie we had the last 2 years. He has a calmness and poise in the net that I like, and he is very athletic for such a big goaltender.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
We need to be better on team defence to help any goalie we bring in. Cujo, Tommy salo were very special guys to last as long as they did. Not many out there that could keep up that pace without burning out or giving up after 45 shots, 5 breakaways, every night. This team had that mentality since Paul Coffey and grant fuhr and Wayne, made this method work. With the change in leadership and no old boys trying this method, things should change.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Talbot's looked great like I expected him to. Has let in a few unlucky/weird ones, but you can tell this is the guy that makes you some big stops every night to give you a chance to win.

On that note, he did make some big stops last night in their first win against Calgary - his stop on that 3-on-1 when the game was still close was very clutch. Those are the stops you need.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Nilsson I think looked pretty good against Dallas. I think he will be a solid backup who can play 30 games and give the team a chance to win.

I expect much more from Nilsson than 30 games. He's also only 25, he will get better.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Happy we have 2 goalies that have +90% svpct and that look like they are structurally sound in net.

If they can stay reliable in net, that goes a long way towards letting this team work out the many issues they have on offense/defense.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Nilsson has just been damn near perfect. Reminds me of Lundqvist in how deep he plays and how little his feet move. Somehow Dubnyk always made himself look tiny, but Nilsson seems to take up the whole net at all times. I'm so used to getting nervous at every shot attempt, but suddenly we have two goalies who look solid.

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
I'm so used to getting nervous at every shot attempt, but suddenly we have two goalies who look solid.

^^^ This. My brain is still trained to think goals are coming up, then boom either one of our goalies steals one for us. It's been a great feeling. It'l will for sure calm everyone on the ice, knowing the boys will step up and make a save more often then not.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nothing else left to be done with the goaltenders besdies ....
LOCKING THEM UP!!

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
When was the last time the Oilers had two solid goalies? Either of these guys would be the clear cut starter her in any of the last six seasons. Maybe seven?

It's nice to look back at where our recent starters are now.

Scrivens - Hasn't played yet with Bakersfield. Is he with the team?

Doobie - Super Doobie Vezina finalist has left the building. Good old Aw Shucks doobie is back. 3.02 GAA 885 Save percentage. But he is 3-1.

Khabibulin - Some gulag.... :sarcasm:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
92.44 sv pct through the 1st 7 games for the Talbot/Nilsson combo.

That's #13 in the NHL.

that's with a good number of 10 bell chances as well as this team clearly hasn't been exactly defensively solid yet (getting better but still prone to some egregious errors at times).

The goaltending has been well above average by my eye... I want to say excellent actually considering the defensive makeup of this team.

It's been stated by many, but it's a damn relief to have the goaltending going from a weak link to a definite strength now.

It's like in that last Wings game... how many of you were thinking.. uh oh, here we go again when Detroit got that goal in the 3rd and started putting pressure on... in the "bad old days" that likely would have totally unraveled the team... but Talbot stood tall and withstood the pressure and the team carried on to a solid victory.

That's going to be HUGE this season if the goaltending can stay solid.

Literally almost every game that slipped away last season and they lost by 1 goal could be pinned on D/G to a large degree and this season it's looking like the goaltending isn't going to be the goat.

In fact when is the last time that the Oilers had goaltending that's been consistently good to great for 7 straight games. Has to be YEARS since we've had that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad