Oiler goaltending talk - what's to be done?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I thought, last night, he and the Nuge displayed some impressive chemistry in spots.

poo is a great possession player, and he goes to the good spots where a player like nuge can find him. if he could just reduce his o-zone penalties by about 10-20 a year he would be way better.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
poo is a great possession player, and he goes to the good spots where a player like nuge can find him. if he could just reduce his o-zone penalties by about 10-20 a year he would be way better.

10-20 penalties, that's alot.

How many ozone penalties did he even have?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

The ridiculous content in the 2nd part of your post completely erased the reasonable content in the first part of your post.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I thought, last night, he and the Nuge displayed some impressive chemistry in spots.

I agree. I thought the same thing last season as well.

Poulliot has become a very valuable player on this team. His skillset is not easily duplicated.

Regarding the topic in this thread...I am curious to see how McLellan deals with the goaltending.

I have heard from many talking heads that Scrivens might just pass through waivers. It would be an interesting move if thats what ends up happening.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
The ridiculous content in the 2nd part of your post completely erased the reasonable content in the first part of your post.

Yeah..I meant to check that earlier. He had 28pims last year. It doesn't translate very well, does it? I'll give cornkicker the benefit of the doubt here though. It must've been sarcasm.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't see the big deal with carrying 3 goalies if there isn't a clear loser in the bunch. Sure Nilsson has had a great pre season, but Scrivens hasn't been bad either. It's hard to say what both would look like in the regular season, when the rosters stabilize and the competition ramps up.

I know it conjures the idea of the "three headed monster" we had before with Conks, Markennen and Morrison, but imo we have a better trio here this time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah..I meant to check that earlier. He had 28pims last year. It doesn't translate very well, does it?

Not at all.
IIRC he had maybe 4-5 offensive zone penalties and 1 of them was ill advised.

It really is a non issue. He was the best Oiler last season IMO.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't see the big deal with carrying 3 goalies if there isn't a clear loser in the bunch. Sure Nilsson has had a great pre season, but Scrivens hasn't been bad either. It's hard to say what both would look like in the regular season, when the rosters stabilize and the competition ramps up.

I know it conjures the idea of the "three headed monster" we had before with Conks, Markennen and Morrison, but imo we have a better trio here this time.

I was in the middle of writing a long response for the other side, but I need something clarified...from you or other posters.

How many "extra's" can a team carry? Are they divided into forwards, D, and goalies? eg: a certain # of forwards, D and G?

I thought it was only 2.

Thanks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was in the middle of writing a long response for the other side, but I need something clarified...from you or other posters.

How many "extra's" can a team carry? Are they divided into forwards, D, and goalies? eg: a certain # of forwards, D and G?

I thought it was only 2.

Thanks

I recall it being a 23 man roster, with 20 dressed players on a given night. So that's 3

It's still really tight though. I believe sending down Davidson, Gazdic and Nikitin would make room for a third goalie.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I recall it being a 23 man roster, with 20 dressed players on a given night. So that's 3

It's still really tight though. I believe sending down Davidson, Gazdic and Nikitin would make room for a third goalie.

Thanks. And you answered my original post sorta as well, without even reading it. Very McDavidish of you!

I was going to say who do we send down if this happens. When injuries crop up, I'd think they need to make a decision. So better sooner with NO 3 headed monster than later with too many extras needed to fill a void.

That's my take.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think Sekera is skilled enough to ricochet one off of an Oilers forward when they are always standing on the perimeter.

Lol. you missed my earlier quip to the same effect. If you're not Slepyshev chances are your not getting hit with any puck that is going near the net.

Methinks some of the youngsters on this club took a loon look at Smytty and figured they didn't want to look like that when they're older.. ;)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
"It's not a very gritty team" is an understatement.

We chuckle at Virtanen and the fluke goal scored off his noggin.. but hell he was right there in front paying the price and while it may have been a lucky goal... again he was there in front for any sort of deflection/rebound and it just happened to hit him in the face.

Not enough Oilers get in front of the net or drive to the tough/rough areas for those same types of rebounds/deflections.

I try hard to be balanced and not overly pessimistic but I think there really is a lack of heart/grit and desire to sacrifice for the team. That's something that the team will have to build from zero really under McLellan. They have to gel together... bond together and be willing to sacrifice for each other.

With the massive turnover in players/coaches/management in this org in recent years... it's not surprising that in a turnstile type environment... there's very little in terms of chemistry and almost none of that level of commitment needed to make this a team that works/bleeds for each other out there.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Thought it might be worthwhile to add Bob McKenzies take (about 1/2 into the interview) on the goalie situation....

Oilers will have to start the season with 3 Goalies

McKenzie is a smart cookie but there is close to zero chance they start with 3 goalies.

I think with their craptastic D... they are much more likely to carry 8 dmen (and try to find 6 on any given night that are semi-respectable) rather than 3 goalies.

Honestly though... if I were to bet on it I will say they'll run with 14F, 7D and 2G to start the season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
McKenzie is a smart cookie but there is close to zero chance they start with 3 goalies.

I think with their craptastic D... they are much more likely to carry 8 dmen (and try to find 6 on any given night that are semi-respectable) rather than 3 goalies.

Honestly though... if I were to bet on it I will say they'll run with 14F, 7D and 2G to start the season.

I think its the opposite...close to zero chance they dont start with 3 goalies.
I dont see them carrying 3 goalies for too long though...perhaps 2 weeks into the season at most.

I am also not going to judge the defence on last nights game. I think some players (Sekera, Gryba, and hopefully Reinhart) will be much better.

I see an opening night D comprised of...
Sekera, Fayne,
Klefbom, Schultz
Gryba, Reinhart
Ference
I wouldnt be surprised if they send Nikitin down after Sat nights game.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I dont see them carrying 3 goalies for too long though...perhaps 2 weeks into the season at most.

I am also not going to judge the defence on last nights game. I think some players (Sekera, Gryba, and hopefully Reinhart) will be much better.

I see an opening night D comprised of...
Sekera, Fayne,
Klefbom, Schultz
Gryba, Reinhart
Ference
I wouldnt be surprised if they send Nikitin down after Sat nights game.

Well you have seniority on me here by 6 years and certainly I'm not as wise as McKenzie... so we'll just have to see if I, as the young (not actually that young) upstart know more than the older and wiser folks in the hockey world. :)

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Lol. you missed my earlier quip to the same effect. If you're not Slepyshev chances are your not getting hit with any puck that is going near the net.

Methinks some of the youngsters on this club took a loon look at Smytty and figured they didn't want to look like that when they're older.. ;)

We should just sign Horcoff then. Seems like half his goals the last time he was here [I know, there weren't many] were Eberle or Hall shooting pucks off his butt

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
PC had long management meeting with Howson and MacT, main discussion was 3 goalies situation and how much MacT misses a big 6'5" D on back end like Pronger. In conclusion they proposed to Chia to keep 3 goalies and there are going to be nights where Nilsson going to play D for them. :)

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
"It's not a very gritty team" is an understatement.

We chuckle at Virtanen and the fluke goal scored off his noggin.. but hell he was right there in front paying the price and while it may have been a lucky goal... again he was there in front for any sort of deflection/rebound and it just happened to hit him in the face.

Not enough Oilers get in front of the net or drive to the tough/rough areas for those same types of rebounds/deflections.

I try hard to be balanced and not overly pessimistic but I think there really is a lack of heart/grit and desire to sacrifice for the team. That's something that the team will have to build from zero really under McLellan. They have to gel together... bond together and be willing to sacrifice for each other.

With the massive turnover in players/coaches/management in this org in recent years... it's not surprising that in a turnstile type environment... there's very little in terms of chemistry and almost none of that level of commitment needed to make this a team that works/bleeds for each other out there.

That grit factor is what will kill us or make us. Vancouver was running g our show for two periods. Winning board battles and finishing every check even after our guy passed it off.

We had too many guys who just poked their stick at a canuck. Like TV said, you have to skate in their equipment as well.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Nilsson should have had more playing time this pre season. Was hoping he would steal the starting job.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

I dont see why they bother keeping 3 goalies up if Nilsson doesnt have to face waivers. Send him down for a few weeks, keep him sharp playing in the AHL for a few weeks. There's no downside to sending him down. If Talbot looks sharp then bring him back up and ditch Scrivens in the minors on the bench.

If you keep 3 goalies up Nilsson gets little to no playing time, just sits around and waits until you deal with Scrivens.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I dont see why they bother keeping 3 goalies up if Nilsson doesnt have to face waivers. Send him down for a few weeks, keep him sharp playing in the AHL for a few weeks. There's no downside to sending him down. If Talbot looks sharp then bring him back up and ditch Scrivens in the minors on the bench.

If you keep 3 goalies up Nilsson gets little to no playing time, just sits around and waits until you deal with Scrivens.

Because Nilsson has been better, don't have a "competition" if there isn't one.

Besides, Scrivens might as well not need to face Waivers, it's not like he'll be claimed, and it wouldn't matter if he was.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We should just sign Horcoff then. Seems like half his goals the last time he was here [I know, there weren't many] were Eberle or Hall shooting pucks off his butt

huh? Eberle and Hall got to the net with the puck for the select moments they find an opening in that prime scoring area. They sure don't make a habit of hanging around there a lot.

The Oilers, and Mclellan is outing this, have been a very peripheral club. Right now as we speak he's openly questioning whether players take shortcuts in the game unconsciously, that they don't understand what is being required of them, or whether they check out and are not willing to do certain things.

maybe its subtle at times but the degree to which Mclellan is calling out the incomplete play of this team is astounding.

Now Hall and Eberle are good players, and two of the best we have, but they still cut corners and don't play a complete game for instance not being the most likely players to be backchecking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad