Oiler goaltending talk - what's to be done?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nilsson. Big, calm and positionally sound. Also can play the puck at an average level.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Nilsson.

I think goalies like Scrivens are a dime a dozen.

I'd rather have the best goalie in the KHL last year as a backup then a journeyman goalie who seems incapable of putting 2 good starts together.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Gun to my head? Nilsson - but Scrivens has not at all played poorly. In fact, its a dead heat. People are ignoring the odd moments with Nilsson and magnifying the bad ones with Scrivens because they've (rightfully) been shocked by last season.

The question I ask - if Talbot goes down for a month, do you want Scrivens or Nilsson as your starter? My answer, and this is obviously based on information from last year, is Nilsson.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Keep them both to start out.

Nilsson has been better than Scrivens but not by enough/for long enough to prove it will last.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Scrivens won't be an Oiler after this season if he makes the cut. Nilsson could end up being here for years if he plays well and Broissoit isn't ready. Just for that alone i'd go with Nilsson.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Saw Nilsson live in Calgary. He's very calm, but a little lazy on the ground. Takes up everything. When it gets scrambly, he, like Scrivens, don't hesitate to hit the ice with their belly.

Scrivens is just too shaky for my liking. You're always anxious when it's in our end. If we feel it, you're damn sure the players feel it too. Can't have that.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Keep them both to start out.

Nilsson has been better than Scrivens but not by enough/for long enough to prove it will last.
By enough that we don't want to lose Nilsson either.

I agree

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oddly Talbot has been the worst of all 3 goalies. Easily.

Curious he gets starter automatically awarded without even showing anything.

In anycase theres a noted tendency on this board to go with new guy. Always go with new guy.

Wouldn't matter what Scrivens did.

People associate ongoing players with the teams past poor results and if the board had its way there would be more of a turnstile of players than there is.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
As it stands right this moment, I don't know how you could go against Nilsson. He's been literally perfect so far.

And that has nothing to do with Scrivens, who has been quite good this pre-season too. Wonder what his save percentage is right now. Gotta be around .930 or so. Tough though when the other guy is sitting at a 1.00

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

In anycase theres a noted tendency on this board to go with new guy. Always go with new guy.

People associate ongoing players with the teams past poor results and if the board had its way there would be more of a turnstile of players than there is.

I didn't ask you to psychoanalyze HFOil - I asked what would YOU do. :P

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

People associate ongoing players with the team results and if the board had its way there would be more of a turnstile of players than there is.

He's let in a bad goal each game he's played, high blocker side. Nilsson has easily been the best but Talbot has looked better then Scrivens by a little bit.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
For the record, I would also go with Nilsson. This isn't a flash in the pan, he was very good in a very good league last year.

Maybe he tried head trajectory ?

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I think you might have to keep all 3 up to start the year and go with 13 Fs and 7 D.

McDeathbyCheerios*

If you look at it from an objective view. Nilsson has been much better

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I didn't ask you to psychoanalyze HFOil - I asked what would YOU do. :P

Its quite clear.

You haven't ever heard me say a bird in the hand is better than one in the bush?

If this is my club Talbot and Nillson have to earn it. Only one of them has. The other should be sweating.

Reality is I would be surprised if Nillson ends up staying.

Oilers probably go with Talbot and Scrivens. Wouldn't surprise me if Nillson is better option than both. But it won't happen.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If you look at it from an objective view. Nilsson has been much better

If you look at it objectively extremely small sample is extremely small sample. This is nothing on Nillson. Its just you can't make a decision this quickly.

Trouble for the Oilers this year is theres two unknowns that they had to give a big look at. Talbot and Nillson. Neither has played anywhere near enough at this level to know what they will be.

People think Scrivens is garbage, that's fine. He's the only one of these guys that has appreciable NHL experience. I don't happen to think he's lousy at it either.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He's let in a bad goal each game he's played, high blocker side. Nilsson has easily been the best but Talbot has looked better then Scrivens by a little bit.

Talbot has also given the puck up dangerously 6 times. Something that, if Scrivens, was doing it, would've been mentioned 55 times.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Talbot has also given the puck up dangerously 6 times. Something that, if Scrivens, was doing it, would've been mentioned 55 times.
Fair.
Although I think right now it goes

Nilsson >> Talbot /> Scrivens

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nilsson is NHL material.

Scrivens is also NHL material and actually has the GP in which to make that statement.

Do we really want to go into yet another NHL season with a couple guys with virtually no NHL experience?

I think you've gottta have one vet in there. Would be good if that vet was better than Scrivens but the org set the table weak here.

Most of what we've seen Nilsson is stop some of the worst popgun lineups I've ever seen. Oilers have faced some weak lineups. This is not the basis in which you can automatically state Nillson is NHL caliber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad