GDT: OIL vs AVS (7:00PM/SNW)

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I don't follow your angle here. 18M caphit is a whole lot of the team. I am thinking about the team. I'm thinking this proportion of payroll isn't pulling their weight in a cap environment.

We basically ditched a Perron contract because the team figures its too close to cap or something. Seemed like they were getting better bang for buck with Perron.

So who do we hire/bring here for 6 million thats better to replace them?

We have never been in cap trouble by the way.

We ditched Perron because he didn't want to play here and he could have walked at the end of next year, MacT did the right thing.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
When the shootout came around I wanted to see us lose because I didn't think that we deserved to win this game. I don't think that Colorado played in credibly well but I don't want to see any game in which we don't work our ***** off.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Other than playing with scrubs and no longer wanting to be here?

The org has made it clear that Hall, Nuge, Eberle will always get the best minutes.

Yak is treated as an afterthought on this club. Largely due to 1.5yrs of Eakins. We'll see if Nelson can get something else going but I'm not sure at this point Yak remains committed.

For sure Yak is playing bad. That doesn't let anybody else off the hook.

Dude, you are basically calling Hall, Eberle, Nuge scrubs, but say Perron and Yakupov only got to play with scrubs. Who are the good guys in this story?

Perron got to play with Yakupov,and vice versa ,whats the excuse there?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So who do we hire/bring here for 6 million thats better to replace them?

We have never been in cap trouble by the way.

We ditched Perron because he didn't want to play here and he could have walked at the end of next year, MacT did the right thing.

None of us know this to be the case. If it is a good part of the reason is the useless coach we just wasted 1.5 seasons on.

Perron came here and stated that he was excited to be coming to a young team with potential and wanting to be part of that. Its what he actually said.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Dude, you are basically calling Hall, Eberle, Nuge scrubs, but say Perron and Yakupov only got to play with scrubs. Who are the good guys in this story?

Perron got to play with Yakupov,and vice versa ,whats the excuse there?

Hard to say with Yak. I think Eakins completed ****ed him up. Being a younger player in a foreign country he was going to be more susceptible to getting overwhelmed. Eakins did a good job of doing that to Yak just 4 games into last season when he benched him for 2. Went downhill from there.

What do you do now? Nelson is the right guy. If Yak doesn't recover this season he's likely gone.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
None of us know this to be the case. If it is a good part of the reason is the useless coach we just wasted 1.5 seasons on.

Perron came here and stated that he was excited to be coming to a young team with potential and wanting to be part of that. Its what he actually said.

There is a problem in the dressing room and it is starting to explode

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There is a problem in the dressing room and it is starting to explode

Tell me about it. Fasth was so comfortable with the team it looked like he wanted to be sitting on the opposition bench. Guaranteed this guy is getting dealt.
Fraser looks like he'd just as soon punch out an Oiler.
Scrivens just glaring at the Oiler (believe it was Eberle) passing the puck back to the net and Schultz almost deflecting it in..

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Then fast forward to some of his latest interviews, different story.

Why do you think he was traded ?

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Yes you said 50% in offensive zone start, its actually 71%.

Whats the next excuse for his poor play.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20142015&game=20563

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20142015&game=20492

72% offensive zone starts with primarily Draisaitl who was defensively sheltered. With Lander, the third line is converted to a defensive zone assignment line, so Yakupov gets low off. zone starts. Checkout natural stat trick to see the numbers.

Re-read my post. Or rather let me explain it to you.

Now that Draisaitl is being sent down, Lander is Yakupov's centre. Alright. Lander is not very good offensively but is good defensively. Therefore his line has been taking a large number of defensive zone starts. For some odd reason, Yakupov is on Lander's line taking low offensive zone starts with him. This obviously does not help him at all regarding his defensive woes.

The 71% figure was from Yakupov playing with Draisaitl, who got high offensive zone starts, which was good for Yakupov. With Lander, Yakupov has been seeing 25% OZS and 37.5% OZS.

My concern is why is Yakupov playing with two offensively challenged (Well, Fraser's not bad offensively) AHL players with low offensive zone starts.

You keep on talking about "excuses", I'm starting to think I'm talking to Don Cherry or Dallas Eakins.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Hard to say with Yak. I think Eakins completed ****ed him up. Being a younger player in a foreign country he was going to be more susceptible to getting overwhelmed. Eakins did a good job of doing that to Yak just 4 games into last season when he benched him for 2. Went downhill from there.

What do you do now? Nelson is the right guy. If Yak doesn't recover this season he's likely gone.

He spent 2 years in Sarnia before coming to Edmonton.

Many many first round players get scratched in early years, from the way he was playing he deserved to be scratched. I don't dislike the guy, I was hoping he would be excellent, but if you watch him play he's just not very good. I will say Eakins has EVERYONE clutching sticks and afraid to make a mistake which is a recipe for what we are seeing with individual numbers declining. Honestly I would be thrilled if Yakupov can just become a good second line player at this point, I just don't see his talent yet.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20142015&game=20563

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20142015&game=20492

Re-read my post. Or rather let me explain it to you.

Now that Draisaitl is being sent down, Lander is Yakupov's centre. Alright. Lander is not very good offensively but is good defensively. Therefore his line has been taking a large number of defensive zone starts. For some odd reason, Yakupov is on Lander's line taking low offensive zone starts with him. This obviously does not help him at all regarding his defensive woes.

The 71% figure was from Yakupov playing with Draisaitl, who got high offensive zone starts, which was good for Yakupov. With Lander, Yakupov has been seeing 25% OZS and 37.5% OZS.

My concern is why is Yakupov playing with two offensively challenged (Well, Fraser's not bad offensively) AHL players with low offensive zone starts.

You keep on talking about "excuses", I'm starting to think I'm talking to Don Cherry or Dallas Eakins.

Ok who should this phenom play with?

Yes you did say "<50% ozone starts" you changed your story, now its because he is with Draisaitl. You bring up Lander stats because he played a game or 2 with him?

Where does he fit?

Don't try to insult me with the Eakins remark, you started the lie and can't defend the BS.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Ok who should this phenom play with?

Where does he fit?

With skilled players?

Why is Purcell above him in the depth charts? Either play him with Roy and Pouliot or Hall and RNH. Yakupov has had a lot of success with Hall in his first season, why have the Oilers never attempted that again since the Krueger days?

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
With skilled players?

Why is Purcell above him in the depth charts? Either play him with Roy and Pouliot or Hall and RNH. Yakupov has had a lot of success with Hall in his first season, why have the Oilers never attempted that again since the Krueger days?

Because at this point Purcell is a more reliable player.

If you think he should be above Eberle in the depth chart, you are blind man.

So when he was on a line with Perron it still wasn't good enough for either?

Maybe we can get Sid to hold his stick for him, I'm not trying to be a dik, but enough of this excuse stuff for him, he has had many chances and drops the ball. I am hoping within the next 2 years he comes around but he will never be elite.

He has had chances with everyone at some point and he just doesn't cut it, at some point you have to see this instead of blindly believing. Go watch the guy live and tell me what you think after that.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Yes you did say "<50% ozone starts" you changed your story, now its because he is with Draisaitl. You bring up Lander stats because he played a game or 2 with him?

Don't try to insult me with the Eakins remark, you started the lie and can't defend the BS.

Re-read my post....

Install it by playing him with a offensively challenged AHL centre and a AHL winger on the third line getting 10-12 minutes with <50% offensive zone starts?

Why would I be referring to his offensive zone starts with Draisaitl when I mention a "offensively challenged AHL centre and a AHL winger"? It's obvious I'm speaking in the present tense. Basic reading comprehension would reveal i'm talking about todays game and future games.

So facts are lies and BS?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Then fast forward to some of his latest interviews, different story.

Why do you think he was traded ?

I've seen the interviews. People reading what they want into it. He said he's sad not to stay and be part of things here but that on the other hand he's looking forward to play on a contender. Exactly what most players would say.

Lets just eliminate the "doesn't want to be playing here" variable in this trade. Because I imagine theres half a dozen of those lurking around that weren't traded.

So again why Perron who has been about the best forward on this club since coming here. Production/60mins he certainly has been.

To me more the story is the team figures they have some kind of core nucleus here (they don't) and anybody not in that circle. Hello Gagner, hello Perron, is immediately expendable. Despite these being pretty good 2nd line players.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Because at this point Purcell is a more reliable player.

TRy to justify this. This is a losing club going nowhere. Why on Earth would we be giving Purcell more opportunity instead of developing one of our own. Its not like this org is even remotely trying to win. They just traded Perron for a career AHLer, they traded Gagner so that they could have another AHLer at Center. This was never about winning this year. Anybody could see that. When fill players are pre-empting developing your own top picks and giving them toi that's a problem.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Re-read my post....

Why would I be referring to his offensive zone starts with Draisaitl when I mention a "offensively challenged AHL centre and a AHL winger"? It's obvious I'm speaking in the present tense. Basic reading comprehension would reveal i'm talking about todays game and future games.

So facts are lies and BS?

Ok fine, sorry.

I didn't realize you were judging Yakupov's abilities from one game.

Cheers and carry on.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

TRy to justify this. This is a losing club going nowhere. Why on Earth would we be giving Purcell more opportunity instead of developing one of our own. Its not like this org is even remotely trying to win. They just traded Perron for a career AHLer, they traded Gagner so that they could have another AHLer at Center. This was never about winning this year. Anybody could see that. When fill players are pre-empting developing your own top picks and giving them toi that's a problem.

Completely bang on. Their sights are obviously on McEichel. Its disgusting that they tell us to be patient again. Seriously can't stand the old boys club. Katz is a moron as well.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Ok fine, sorry.

I didn't realize you were judging Yakupov's abilities from one game.

Cheers and carry on.

What on earth are you talking about? Do you even understand what a offensive zone start is? Seriously please justify to me why Yakupov had a 37.5% OZS this game? and 25% the last game with Lander? I mean this is the same guy that can't catch a break offensively. Why is his usage more like a third line grinder than a top six winger? How does that help an already struggling offensively oriented player?

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Developing players does not mean putting them on top lines, in fact that has been our mistake with our current players but we had no choice, Kevy left the cupboards bare.

I was anti Horcoff (because of his 7 mil) but I have come to realize it was essential for him to be here and we should have kept him, we bought the hype of new #1's. When Horcoff was facing top lines, the kids were killing it, or developing, now they are getting killed by real men on most nights and everyone wants to get rid of them.

Ah Gagner is Gagner, because of his size and other things he was never going to be the future #2 centre in Edmonton.

So you say to develop Yakupov but not Draisaitl in the way you mentioned?

The Perron deal was fine by me, you can't just omit the first round pick, come on now be honest at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad