GDT: OIL vs AVS (7:00PM/SNW)

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Developing players does not mean putting them on top lines, in fact that has been our mistake with our current players but we had no choice, Kevy left the cupboards bare.

I was anti Horcoff (because of his 7 mil) but I have come to realize it was essential for him to be here and we should have kept him, we bought the hype of new #1's. When Horcoff was facing top lines, the kids were killing it, or developing, now they are getting killed by real men on most nights and everyone wants to get rid of them.

Ah Gagner is Gagner, because of his size and other things he was never going to be the future #2 centre in Edmonton.

So you say to develop Yakupov but not Draisaitl in the way you mentioned?

The Perron deal was fine by me, you can't just omit the first round pick, come on now be honest at least.

That's when we had a good coach in Renney who sheltered the young guns and played the vets more. Results? Management pressured him to play the young guns more, and then he doesn't get resigned as a coach, because of crap like that. Goes to show how much of a ****ing ego the management has. I just know that idiot 6 rings was a part of it. Where is that loser hiding anyways? I would love to have him and Katz speak to the media and answer the hard questions. Two biggest cowards in the league.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
What on earth are you talking about? Do you even understand what a offensive zone start is? Seriously please justify to me why Yakupov had a 37.5% OZS this game? and 25% the last game with Lander? I mean this is the same guy that can't catch a break offensively. Why is his usage more like a third line grinder than a top six winger? How does that help an already struggling offensively oriented player?

Playing Purcell ahead of Yakupov gives us a better chance to win, he is still young, you don't just develop guys by playing them on top lines. He played many games with Perron and Draisaitl on the second line and as usual he dropped the ball. What is so hard to see in this picture, the guy has been awful.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
That's when we had a good coach in Renney who sheltered the young guns and played the vets more. Results? Management pressured him to play the young guns more, and then he doesn't get resigned as a coach, because of crap like that. Goes to show how much of a ****ing ego the management has. I just know that idiot 6 rings was a part of it. Where is that loser hiding anyways? I would love to have him and Katz speak to the media and answer the hard questions. Two biggest cowards in the league.

I agree, but now we are where we are and its going to take time.

This is the only thing I agreed with Eakins about, on his gtfo speech.

I'm not sure anything can get Lowe removed if Katz hasn't already removed him, I am guessing death by natural causes.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Playing Purcell ahead of Yakupov gives us a better chance to win, he is still young, you don't just develop guys by playing them on top lines. He played many games with Perron and Draisaitl on the second line and as usual he dropped the ball. What is so hard to see in this picture, the guy has been awful.

Yakupov has played with Perron about 24.1% of his total ice time. So not that much but has had opportunities.

Look. Nobody is saying Yakupov hasn't sucked balls lately. It's common knowledge. The big thing is, how the management and coaches have been trying to fix the situation. Neither Eakins, MacT or Nelson have shown that they are looking to develop or help Yakupov improve back to at least his rookie season form. They're just burying him down the depth charts and letting him rot. Which, frankly, I don't understand.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I agree, but now we are where we are and its going to take time.

This is the only thing I agreed with Eakins about, on his gtfo speech.

I'm not sure anything can get Lowe removed if Katz hasn't already removed him, I am guessing death by natural causes.

In regards of time, how much time will it take? I have absolutely no faith in this management to "rebuild the rebuild." Bunch of old boys club with so much arrogance up their ass. The day Lowe's fired will make me happy. Unfortunately we all know that's a slim chance of happening, especially with how much of a moron Katz is.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Is it that, or have the players made it clear, based upon performance, that they ARE the best players on the team and should get the most minutes.

Is the org out to ruin Yak by playing him with 2nd/3rd rate linemates or is he a 2nd/3rd rate player who therefore gets 2nd/3rd rate minutes? Its chicken and egg stuff here people...
The D needs to be improved for the offense to improve. It's symbiosis.

Hard to say with Yak. I think Eakins completed ****ed him up. Being a younger player in a foreign country he was going to be more susceptible to getting overwhelmed. Eakins did a good job of doing that to Yak just 4 games into last season when he benched him for 2. Went downhill from there.

What do you do now? Nelson is the right guy. If Yak doesn't recover this season he's likely gone.
He is an adult, nobody needs to pussyfoot around his feelings regarding where he starts on the depth charts.

I've seen the interviews. People reading what they want into it. He said he's sad not to stay and be part of things here but that on the other hand he's looking forward to play on a contender. Exactly what most players would say.

Lets just eliminate the "doesn't want to be playing here" variable in this trade. Because I imagine theres half a dozen of those lurking around that weren't traded.

So again why Perron who has been about the best forward on this club since coming here. Production/60mins he certainly has been.

To me more the story is the team figures they have some kind of core nucleus here (they don't) and anybody not in that circle. Hello Gagner, hello Perron, is immediately expendable. Despite these being pretty good 2nd line players.
I heard a rumor that he wanted out.

What on earth are you talking about? Do you even understand what a offensive zone start is? Seriously please justify to me why Yakupov had a 37.5% OZS this game? and 25% the last game with Lander? I mean this is the same guy that can't catch a break offensively. Why is his usage more like a third line grinder than a top six winger? How does that help an already struggling offensively oriented player?
We were hemmed in our zone for two-thirds of this game. Thankfully not so when it counted.

Yakupov has played with Perron about 24.1% of his total ice time. So not that much but has had opportunities.

Look. Nobody is saying Yakupov hasn't sucked balls lately. It's common knowledge. The big thing is, how the management and coaches have been trying to fix the situation. Neither Eakins, MacT or Nelson have shown that they are looking to develop or help Yakupov improve back to at least his rookie season form. They're just burying him down the depth charts and letting him rot. Which, frankly, I don't understand.
I agree he needs to be given opportunities occasionally to succeed offensively.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I've seen the interviews. People reading what they want into it. He said he's sad not to stay and be part of things here but that on the other hand he's looking forward to play on a contender. Exactly what most players would say.

Lets just eliminate the "doesn't want to be playing here" variable in this trade. Because I imagine theres half a dozen of those lurking around that weren't traded.

So again why Perron who has been about the best forward on this club since coming here. Production/60mins he certainly has been.

To me more the story is the team figures they have some kind of core nucleus here (they don't) and anybody not in that circle. Hello Gagner, hello Perron, is immediately expendable. Despite these being pretty good 2nd line players.

I don't think he gave MacT the Denis Lemieux "Trade me right ****ing now" phone call either. He genuinely seemed a tad disappointed when he said he'd have liked to be here when the Oilers turn it around. MacT, Lowe & Katz unfortunately have "the chosen ones" up on a bronzed pedestal already, so no one dare say a bad thing about them, or else. As that was most certainly who Perron was referring to last month, that was the trade kiss, as it was with Smid last season. Just which one or ones he was referring too, I don't know...I'd say Schultz at the very least for sure. We also know Mactavish wanted to be in the room to see what was going on first hand...and not even two games after he leaves the bench, Perron is gone. We all know deals can be put on the back burner or they happen quickly. Based on the timing of everything and the return the Oilers, it was the latter in this case.

As for the game itself, they had chances in OT to win it. Instead of doing the right thing and firing the puck on net, they were all guilty of trying to be too cute again trying to pass it through 4 pairs of legs. As Pouliot said, they need to be selfish sometimes. I didn't see the entire game, but what I did see I thought Scrivens held them in there in OT.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Just watched a replay of the game....

Scrivens has to be the worst puck handling goalie I've ever seen. Please stay in the net and try not to **** yourself.

That is all.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think he gave MacT the Denis Lemieux "Trade me right ****ing now" phone call either. He genuinely seemed a tad disappointed when he said he'd have liked to be here when the Oilers turn it around. MacT, Lowe & Katz unfortunately have "the chosen ones" up on a bronzed pedestal already, so no one dare say a bad thing about them, or else. As that was most certainly who Perron was referring to last month, that was the trade kiss, as it was with Smid last season. Just which one or ones he was referring too, I don't know...I'd say Schultz at the very least for sure. We also know Mactavish wanted to be in the room to see what was going on first hand...and not even two games after he leaves the bench, Perron is gone. We all know deals can be put on the back burner or they happen quickly. Based on the timing of everything and the return the Oilers, it was the latter in this case.

As for the game itself, they had chances in OT to win it. Instead of doing the right thing and firing the puck on net, they were all guilty of trying to be too cute again trying to pass it through 4 pairs of legs. As Pouliot said, they need to be selfish sometimes. I didn't see the entire game, but what I did see I thought Scrivens held them in there in OT.

This is a very interesting post.

I'm even more disgusted with the org if it has that much contempt for the fans (it does) that it moves out a skill player because the guy had the audacity to critique the play of some of its top picks. Really being how illogical this move is I'm left wondering if it could actually be yet another bitter move. Another Comrie, another Souray story. It never seems to stop with this org.

My own take is MacT did this to weaken the squad so that his Buddies coaching record doesn't end up looking so bad in comparison to Nelson who had this team rolling. Don't put it beyond this team as they seem to have never wanted to have admiral Nelson at the helm.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Developing players does not mean putting them on top lines, in fact that has been our mistake with our current players but we had no choice, Kevy left the cupboards bare.

I was anti Horcoff (because of his 7 mil) but I have come to realize it was essential for him to be here and we should have kept him, we bought the hype of new #1's. When Horcoff was facing top lines, the kids were killing it, or developing, now they are getting killed by real men on most nights and everyone wants to get rid of them.

Ah Gagner is Gagner, because of his size and other things he was never going to be the future #2 centre in Edmonton.

So you say to develop Yakupov but not Draisaitl in the way you mentioned?

The Perron deal was fine by me, you can't just omit the first round pick, come on now be honest at least.

Who the hell do you think taught the kids it is okay to lose, collect your pay check, and take ZERO accountability? Guys like Eberle look just like Horcoff but with an offensive point of view. Horcoff was the worst captain this team ever had other than Shayne Corson.

Horcoff gobbled up 1st line minutes and top pp time for years, never justified his contract and could not produce a lick unless gifted top line and pp time.

The longing for Horcoff by some is so damn funny.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You mean a team mightn't be able to beat Chicago or Anaheim if they were a goal down going into the third? I'm shocked.

In my opinion Eakins was a huge problem, so yes I am feeling positive from here on in.

If you cheer for the team to lose, why bother.

This is very easily answered. This team is run by probably the worst owner in the league, by far the worst president (or whatver his title is these days) in Lowe and the worst GM in the league by a lot.

They have shown no desire to change as an org.
They have shown zero accountability at the top.
They truly would rather have their buddies in charge than to win.
They are so clueless they truly think they are doing a good job.

The one and only way for real change to come to this team is if they get ass kicked contiunally because we all know the moment they win a couple of games, thinks will be looking up and the plan is coming together.

The org has shown this time and again and the excuses and rebuilds and flip flops is epic.

I like Nelson, I like a couple of front office people, I like a fair number of the players. I won't be upset at all if they do not win another game this year and are so embarrassed that something major takes place and I don't mean the usual scape goating of a coach here or there.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Who the hell do you think taught the kids it is okay to lose, collect your pay check, and take ZERO accountability? Guys like Eberle look just like Horcoff but with an offensive point of view. Horcoff was the worst captain this team ever had other than Shayne Corson.

Horcoff gobbled up 1st line minutes and top pp time for years, never justified his contract and could not produce a lick unless gifted top line and pp time.

Kevin Lowe? That wasn't a hard question to answer. Accountability starts at the top.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Nice rant, but who should have played ahead of Horcoff?

There were no players in Edmonton, you can't blame Horcoff for that.

People want the young guys to develop, you don't develop them by putting them on the first line when they first arrive in the NHL.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

The only reason I can see for this is that they believe that there is always a bigger and better first overall draft pick just around the corner for them. Who cares if some of them don't work out when you can always get another one next year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nice rant, but who should have played ahead of Horcoff?

There were no players in Edmonton, you can't blame Horcoff for that.

People want the young guys to develop, you don't develop them by putting them on the first line when they first arrive in the NHL.

This is an important point. Back in those days the consensus on this board was that Horcoff had to go. Too many people couldn't get past his contract which was in no way negatively impacting the team.

No consideration what so ever was given to the fact that once Horcoff left there was no top 9 Centre to take his place and as a result of that and the lack of quality veterans the kids were thrown to the wolves.

I get that this place generally thinks that young players are the answer to all that ails this team but the reality is completely different.

I used to post all the time about the lack of veteran depth on this team and why it was a bad idea.
If there is one reason why the Flames are kicking the Oilers ass regarding how to properly do a rebuild its because of the quality veterans they acquired BEFORE the rebuild started.

I honestly never understand how this management team could be so out of touch with reality.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
This is very easily answered. This team is run by probably the worst owner in the league, by far the worst president (or whatver his title is these days) in Lowe and the worst GM in the league by a lot.

They have shown no desire to change as an org.
They have shown zero accountability at the top.
They truly would rather have their buddies in charge than to win.
They are so clueless they truly think they are doing a good job.

The one and only way for real change to come to this team is if they get ass kicked contiunally because we all know the moment they win a couple of games, thinks will be looking up and the plan is coming together.

The org has shown this time and again and the excuses and rebuilds and flip flops is epic.

I like Nelson, I like a couple of front office people, I like a fair number of the players. I won't be upset at all if they do not win another game this year and are so embarrassed that something major takes place and I don't mean the usual scape goating of a coach here or there.
How is Katz maybe the worst owner when he may be the primary reason the Oilers didn't move to another city and got their new arena financed?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How is Katz the worst owner when he may be the primary reason the Oilers didn't move to another city and got their arena financed?

We're worse off with his legacy which has left us with;

1)The worst team in the history of the NHL

2)Fronting most of the money for a new arena to see the worst team in the NHL and whatever sorry acts are called popular arena entertainment these days. (tbh the music industry has been dying for decades. Older performer resales and tours are not a sustainable salvation.) The concert industry dies when the music industry does. Then what? Back to 3 ring circuses?

3)PTSD effects for an unknown period of time.

If this sorry ass team had been the SeattleSounders or some such thing all this time we would be spared from this misery.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This is a very interesting post.

I'm even more disgusted with the org if it has that much contempt for the fans (it does) that it moves out a skill player because the guy had the audacity to critique the play of some of its top picks. Really being how illogical this move is I'm left wondering if it could actually be yet another bitter move. Another Comrie, another Souray story. It never seems to stop with this org.

My own take is MacT did this to weaken the squad so that his Buddies coaching record doesn't end up looking so bad in comparison to Nelson who had this team rolling. Don't put it beyond this team as they seem to have never wanted to have admiral Nelson at the helm.

I think he weakened the squad because they were close to actually winning games. Can't have that if we want Mcdavid or Eichel. I hope whichever guy we get busts. Intentional tanking after tanking for 5 years straight is unacceptable.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How is Katz maybe the worst owner when he may be the primary reason the Oilers didn't move to another city and got their new arena financed?

If you really want to believe that narrative it still doesnt justify how badly he has wrecked this team..

He is the worst owner because he runs the team like his own personal play toy. His personal relationships with upper management have created a complete and total lack of accountability. He is the major reason why this team is being consumed by this losing culture.

This cronyism has created a serious credibility issue for this team in NHL circles.

He also cant seem to be able to resist sticking his nose into hockey operations which has also played a role in why this team is in the 6th year of its rebuild and its still a bottom feeder.

Katz is a major part of the problem with this team.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

I wish the team was moved just so we'd never have to deal with the OBC anymore. Give me an expansion team over this bunch any day.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think he weakened the squad because they were close to actually winning games. Can't have that if we want Mcdavid or Eichel. I hope whichever guy we get busts. Intentional tanking after tanking for 5 years straight is unacceptable.

Its the same thing. Two birds with one stone. Piss all over the team the moment they have success and discard a favorite, and very effective player, which helps to ensure a tank AND that Nelson isn't viewed as a savior that they need continue with.

Wouldn't surprise me for one moment if this org had already promised the coaching job to some other hanger on.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Its the same thing. Two birds with one stone. Piss all over the team the moment they have success and discard a favorite, and very effective player, which helps to ensure a tank AND that Nelson isn't viewed as a savior that they need continue with.

Wouldn't surprise me for one moment if this org had already promised the coaching job to some other hanger on.

They do have Buchy percolating in the minors;)

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
We're worse off with his legacy which has left us with;

1)The worst team in the history of the NHL

2)Fronting most of the money for a new arena to see the worst team in the NHL and whatever sorry acts are called popular arena entertainment these days. (tbh the music industry has been dying for decades. Older performer resales and tours are not a sustainable salvation.) The concert industry dies when the music industry does. Then what? Back to 3 ring circuses?

3)PTSD effects for an unknown period of time.

If this sorry ass team had been the SeattleSounders or some such thing all this time we would be spared from this misery.

I wish the team was moved just so we'd never have to deal with the OBC anymore. Give me an expansion team over this bunch any day.

If you really want to believe that narrative it still doesnt justify how badly he has wrecked this team..

He is the worst owner because he runs the team like his own personal play toy. His personal relationships with upper management have created a complete and total lack of accountability. He is the major reason why this team is being consumed by this losing culture.

This cronyism has created a serious credibility issue for this team in NHL circles.

He also cant seem to be able to resist sticking his nose into hockey operations which has also played a role in why this team is in the 6th year of its rebuild and its still a bottom feeder.

Katz is a major part of the problem with this team.
Holy crow--you guys seem jaded beyond belief. I don't necessarily blame you given you're all emotionally-invested in this team which has generally been the worst in the NHL since the '06 run. Still, there's no way this is the worst NHL team of all-time given they may have been the single greatest NHL dynasty in history. The rebuild has been failing since approximately the first go-round. That's it. I think the winds will probably shift in the next few years. Too much talent will have been accumulated through the draft and the environment will shift accordingly. Veterans will be picked up / step up along the way in that process. Rebuilds aren't necessarily successful right away / for the first several years. It's just the way it goes for some teams sometimes. If it truly doesn't pan out down the road the public outcry will be even worse and Katz and all the rest will have to leave and sell the team. What we have now is certainly better than having no NHL team in Edmonton for Pete's sake.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Holy crow--you guys seem jaded beyond belief. I don't necessarily blame you given you're all emotionally-invested in this team which has generally been the worst in the NHL since the '06 run. Still, there's no way this is the worst NHL team of all-time given they may have been the single greatest NHL dynasty in history. The rebuild has been failing since approximately the first go-round. That's it. I think the winds will probably shift in the next few years. Too much talent will have been accumulated through the draft and the environment will shift accordingly. Veterans will be picked up / step up along the way in that process. Rebuilds aren't necessarily successful right away / for the first several years. It's just the way it goes for some teams sometimes. If it truly doesn't pan out down the road the public outcry will be even worse and Katz and all the rest will have to leave and sell the team. This is certainly better than having no NHL team in Edmonton for Pete's sake.

People are making comments in respect of what the team is now. Now what it was a long long time ago in the 80's. Most people on this board weren't even around then. For a whole generation the Oilers have been abysmal. A trainwreck. Even in 05-06 that very brief success was immediately preceeded and followed by a team that was not very good to terrible. Since 06 we've been by far the worst franchise and it isn't even close.

I've been with this team since the WHA and this is the worst its ever been. Jim Matheson, the local scribe who has followed the team throughout says its the worst ever and hard to follow. This is an insider that's had his meal ticket from the team saying its awful.

Theres actual protests in Edmonton decrying how bad this team is and begging a change in management.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Holy crow--you guys seem jaded beyond belief. I don't necessarily blame you given you're all emotionally-invested in this team which has generally been the worst in the NHL since the '06 run. Still, there's no way this is the worst NHL team of all-time given they may have been the single greatest NHL dynasty in history. The rebuild has been failing since approximately the first go-round. That's it. I think the winds will probably shift in the next few years. Too much talent will have been accumulated through the draft and the environment will shift accordingly. Veterans will be picked up / step up along the way in that process. Rebuilds aren't necessarily successful right away / for the first several years. It's just the way it goes for some teams sometimes. If it truly doesn't pan out down the road the public outcry will be even worse and Katz and all the rest will have to leave and sell the team. What we have now is certainly better than having no NHL team in Edmonton for Pete's sake.

I dont think you should be lumping mew in with the other 2 posters because I dont think the team would have left without Katz nor do I think things would be better if it had.

That said how can you overlook the items on my post and insist that this re-reuild is headed in the right direction.

Do you really believe that this team is only slightly off their rebuild plan?

Talk about spin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad