Pre-Game Talk: Oil Humble / Royal Rumble: Sat, Jan 28

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Archie, "The Stomper" Gouldie. That guy scared the bejubus out of me as a kid. Such intensity and the muscles on muscles.
I couldn’t recall this guy so googled him. He was a “local” in wrestling terms, born in Carbon, out by Drumheller. Been to Carbon a few times in my life, work related. Cool story.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
5-2 Oilers. Puljujarvi with a goal. Kostin with a goal and gives a Hawks fan an Oilers jersey. Kostin then chirps McD post game for being highsticked by the best player in the world.

What a card this guy is. Non stop pleasure. I like Kostin more than any STL blue player. How did their fans not love this guy?

"These guys all hide from me, they're like not this guy again" lolol

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I couldn’t recall this guy so googled him. He was a “local” in wrestling terms, born in Carbon, out by Drumheller. Been to Carbon a few times in my life, work related. Cool story.

Goldie was a classic. At one point he was too good for the Stampede Wrestling circuit and I think he went elsewhere for a bit. I remember him as well fighting for the North American Title a couple times. Against guys like Dory Funk, Terry Funk. When those matches came on you couldn't sleep knowing it was going to be the headline. Apparently Archie was known as the Mongolian Stomper. i think that was either before or after I watched.

The Stomper wasn't above throwing the opponent, the referree, and Ed Whalen out of the ring all at the same time. To me that gets pts all by itself. ;)

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Goldie was a classic. At one point he was too good for the Stampede Wrestling circuit and I think he went elsewhere for a bit. I remember him as well fighting for the North American Title a couple times. Against guys like Dory Funk, Terry Funk. When those matches came on you couldn't sleep knowing it was going to be the headline. Apparently Archie was known as the Mongolian Stomper. i think that was either before or after I watched.

The Stomper wasn't above throwing the opponent, the referree, and Ed Whalen out of the ring all at the same time. To me that gets pts all by itself. ;)
LOL. Character for sure.The original Troll Stomper!

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I don’t understand how they’re constantly busy. It’s such a shit product that prioritizes quick service over quality or accuracy.
Sometimes you just want a coffee and they are handy, I guess. Outside of habit and a misplaced sense of supporting Team Canada, as it were, I don’t know why people go there either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sometimes you just want a coffee and they are handy, I guess. Outside of habit and a misplaced sense of supporting Team Canada, as it were, I don’t know why people go there either.
I don't mind the icecap in the summer or whatever its called now. Lots of caffiene in there and head freeze too. heh. Anything else forget it. I'm celiac anyway so basically nothing there works for me. For sure not the coffee.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
5-2 Oilers. Puljujarvi with a goal. Kostin with a goal and gives a Hawks fan an Oilers jersey. Kostin then chirps McD post game for being highsticked by the best player in the world.

What a card this guy is. Non stop pleasure. I like Kostin more than any STL blue player. How did their fans not love this guy?

"These guys all hide from me, they're like not this guy again" lolol
I like it!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t understand how they’re constantly busy. It’s such a shit product that prioritizes quick service over quality or accuracy.
This dynamic basically defines that people are lemming. It could be like an observational experiment.

Go to MWTC foodcourt (could be any foodcourt really) and you see a lineup 20 deep at that line. Go to any other kiosk and at most one or two are there being SERVED. But people continue to filter into the timmies line. Theres two better coffee places right at the mall. But they go there. They get *food* there too. They'll wait in line for the worst option.

I guess advertising or programming works..

pick the road less travelled I always say.

Last edited:

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I know a lot of people here rag on David Staples, including me about the Broberry idiocy. :)

To his credit, Staples does post interesting stuff sometimes.

I was aware of that story and I picked this up at a local goodwill:

B1701021-6383-489C-B7A1-32A712EA8DAB.jpeg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Glad to see Connor and Leon separated, hopefully this is how they move forward now that Kane is back. Other than the PP they should only be together in certain moments of a game. When they’re together any shred of defensive conscience goes out the window and they endlessly cheat for scoring chances. I’m quite frankly getting sick of seeing 2/3 or all of our forward line standing in the neutral zone when we get scored on and many, many times it’s 97 and 29 out there hoping for an odd man rush. Teams have caught on and they come with strong pressure knowing some fwds on our team don’t support the breakout how they should. Even if our defenders manage to escape the pressure and get the puck up, they’re having to make a 90 ft pass to get the puck up to our forwards, easy passes to anticipate and break up for opposing defenders.

It’s quite frankly pathetic that two of the best in the world aren’t obliterating opponents 5v5. They absolutely need to be better at keeping pucks out of their own net even if it means generating less scoring chances, they’re not much of a weapon when they’re giving up just as much as they get.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Glad to see the Kostin/Nuge/Janmark line put back together. I mean, they were ruling the ice for the most part, have no idea why Woodhead decided to split up the most dependable solid line he had.

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
We had created some separation with that winning streak, then the NHL straps us with 2 games in 8 days, we manage only 1 point against the worst team in the league. And boom that separation is gone. Oilers, Avs, Preds, Flames, Wild all within 4 points of each other. 2 of those teams are missing the playoffs. We need to beat up on all these below playoff teams because after that we have a gauntlet schedule.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
LOL. Character for sure.The original Troll Stomper!
I did not know this but Al Oeming was one of the original owners along with Stu Hart.

My guy was originaly Dave Ruhl. How many kids tried to put the Sleeper hold on a sibling or friend. Tiger Goldstick was also one of the first wrestlers. He was a friend of my family though I only met him once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad