Pre-Game Talk: Oil Humble / Royal Rumble: Sat, Jan 28

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Thank god.

EDIT - didn’t see the above post. I’ll say thank L. Ron Hubbard then, I guess..
And here I thought you and the poster above you were just early for Sunday.

Pretty funny also how us Oilers fans have alternated between thanking god for Koskinen, then Smith, then Skinner, then Campbell.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I did not know this but Al Oeming was one of the original owners along with Stu Hart.

My guy was originaly Dave Ruhl. How many kids tried to put the Sleeper hold on a sibling or friend. Tiger Goldstick was also one of the first wrestlers. He was a friend of my family though I only met him once.
As a kid I remember my folks doing a day trip to Al Oemimgs game farm to see his cheetah. My kids now live in Ft Sask and when I drive by Ardrossan my brain suggests that the farm was in that area. Am I dreaming or was it in that vicinity?

True story, in 2014 I was driving from Edmonton east on hwy 16 at around 730 in the morning on a June day and near the Brookville hall just east of Ardrossan. I had been at a company function the night before and stayed over and drove back in the am. While driving, I saw a full grown male lion in the ditch. Yes that’s right, male lion, Simba in all his glory. I pulled over, called 911 - that was ann interesting call - and then waited and watched the animal to see where he walked while waiting for 5 RCMP squad cars, lights a blazing, from the Park show up. The lion had gone into a bunch of willows and poplars near a farm site just south of the highway, the RCMP were concerned on what to do if they encountered it. I suggested they call conservation which they then did. At this point it hadn’t reappeared but I told them it was a real thing and to watch the trees about 1/4 mile away. Then it came out and started to head south. In an instant they all ran to their cruisers and drove off towards where the animal was. I stayed on the highway for a few minutes and it appeared that they were monitoring and keeping track of him. At that point I decided to continue my drive. I checked all the media that same day and days after after and it was silent. I called the Park detachment about a week late and asked the receptionist if they safely removed the lion and she asked me what I was talking about. I told her I was the person who had sighted it and called 911. At that point she said she couldn’t disclose what had happened. She didn’t deny it just couldn’t disclose. Always makes me wonder. Anyway, that was a bit of a journey from Al Oeming and Stampede Wrestling. Sorry for the sidetrack.

Reactions: RegDunlop

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
As a kid I remember my folks doing a day trip to Al Oemimgs game farm to see his cheetah. My kids now live in Ft Sask and when I drive by Ardrossan my brain suggests that the farm was in that area. Am I dreaming or was it in that vicinity?

True story, in 2014 I was driving from Edmonton east on hwy 16 at around 730 in the morning on a June day and near the Brookville hall just east of Ardrossan. I had been at a company function the night before and stayed over and drove back in the am. While driving, I saw a full grown male lion in the ditch. Yes that’s right, male lion, Simba in all his glory. I pulled over, called 911 - that was ann interesting call - and then waited and watched the animal to see where he walked while waiting for 5 RCMP squad cars, lights a blazing, from the Park show up. The lion had gone into a bunch of willows and poplars near a farm site just south of the highway, the RCMP were concerned on what to do if they encountered it. I suggested they call conservation which they then did. At this point it hadn’t reappeared but I told them it was a real thing and to watch the trees about 1/4 mile away. Then it came out and started to head south. In an instant they all ran to their cruisers and drove off towards where the animal was. I stayed on the highway for a few minutes and it appeared that they were monitoring and keeping track of him. At that point I decided to continue my drive. I checked all the media that same day and days after after and it was silent. I called the Park detachment about a week late and asked the receptionist if they safely removed the lion and she asked me what I was talking about. I told her I was the person who had sighted it and called 911. At that point she said she couldn’t disclose what had happened. She didn’t deny it just couldn’t disclose. Always makes me wonder. Anyway, that was a bit of a journey from Al Oeming and Stampede Wrestling. Sorry for the sidetrack.
Wasn’t that game farm by Ellerslie out a bit east?

I am way off.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
So south of Ardrossan as the crow flies, hwy 14 goes out to Wainwright. Hmm, I wonder who he sold all his animals to? Maybe a local resident bought a lion cub many years ago?
I remember meeting him when I was about 10. nice man.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I remember being maybe daughters age...10 or so, watching Stampede Wrestling. Bad New Allan, the Singhs', Brett & Owen, Davey Boy, Dynamite, Chris Benoit when he was just a kid...but for some reason, Jason the Terrible was one of my favorites but that's just because I love the Friday the 13th franchise :laugh:.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
So south of Ardrossan as the crow flies, hwy 14 goes out to Wainwright. Hmm, I wonder who he sold all his animals to? Maybe a local resident bought a lion cub many years ago?

Ok
I'm with you BA

I know it was east of city at one time.
But I recall being very young and going with my oldest brother (in his cool convertible MG!) out toward or past Ft. Sask.
I'm thinking either relocated or perhaps another game farm?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Ok
I'm with you BA

I know it was east of city at one time.
But I recall being very young and going with my oldest brother (in his cool convertible MG!) out toward or past Ft. Sask.
I'm thinking either relocated or perhaps another game farm?
I hope that car is still somewhere in the family. Always sad when you grow older and the cool cars in your life that you had were sold to go to university, get married, trade in for a minivan to have kids etc.. eventually you have time to spend with those vehicles and hopefully the money too, but alas they are gone.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I hope that car is still somewhere in the family. Always sad when you grow older and the cool cars in your life that you had were sold to go to university, get married, trade in for a minivan to have kids etc.. eventually you have time to spend with those vehicles and hopefully the money too, but alas they are gone.

Sadly, no
3 older bros had a few nice ones. Me with one.
All gone for the mini van life!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad