Oil Change not airing this year

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I for one will miss the show, I thought it was great way to humanize the players, instead of just seeing them as just a name on a stat sheet and a number on a sweater.
I think of it as a documentation that would be great to look back years from now, if this next season they turn things around, count me disappointed that we didn't get to see the change and positivity in the players through the year as we've only see the rough moments.
If they do come back next year, I'll be curious what they will do to make the show better.

Have a good vacation oil change staff!!

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
As lame as the production value and narration was, it would have been an alright show if the Oilers didn't blow. It became depressing to watch as the seasons rolled by but the improvement never came.

I'd like to hear someone count up how many times we heard the phrase 'growing pains' in its run.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
The best scenario would be for Metz and his production companys to shoot behind the scenes footage throughout every year so that when the Oilers do get good they can make a good complete product. Oil change was created with the idea it would show the evolution of a team and their trials to victory. The team stagnated and the product became as much a joke as the team itself. Ratings plummet and no one wants a ratings vaccuum.

I suspect Metz will keep shooting footage and thanks to Oilers podcasts from their nhl.com stream and oilervision or whatever they call it, they should be able to get good source material for later on. Once the Oilers show a climb...then it might have some value as a product but right now the Oilers LIVE isnt valuable so why would a recap of the horrible product?

In retrospect...with the amount of webcoverage and digital footage thats captured everyday...i dont know if they really need additional footage. Back in 2003 and even 2001 when he first started talking about the idea (i knew him in the Alberta film union) ...it wasnt common for cameras to follow teams or get behind the scenes footage. Now its not hard and now the web is much bigger and they have their own web show. I dont think footage will be as hard to get these days.

Last edited:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
The problem with that show, is they billed it as "Oil Change"
When really what they should have called it was "Oil stay the same, year after year after year after year...."

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
they don't need it when little is changing

nice idea, though. too bad the organization couldnt actually delivery on the "change" to make it a worthwhile Real Drama

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
they don't need it when little is changing

nice idea, though. too bad the organization couldnt actually delivery on the "change" to make it a worthwhile Real Drama

Its more like watching a highschool film project horror movie...where you start to cheer for the bad guy to just end it all.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
Considering part of the purpose was self-promotion of youthful improvement, there was a degree of embarrassment with this program considering the complete lack of said improvement. I did enjoy the behind the scenes shots.

This.

I couldn't even watch it last year. I too enjoyed the behind the scenes stuff as well.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
I for one will miss the show, I thought it was great way to humanize the players, instead of just seeing them as just a name on a stat sheet and a number on a sweater.
I think of it as a documentation that would be great to look back years from now, if this next season they turn things around, count me disappointed that we didn't get to see the change and positivity in the players through the year as we've only see the rough moments.
If they do come back next year, I'll be curious what they will do to make the show better.

Have a good vacation oil change staff!!

I can assure you the cameras will be rolling but we won't get to see it unless something good does happen.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just rename it Lemon Aid Car buyers guide..

Remember to kick those tires before any purchase.

jk aside they probably stopped realizing that most people figured these were unintended comedy segments. The Comedy channel wanting to pick up reruns was probably a bad thing..

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I certainly did enjoy the behind the scenes stuff. I really didn't care about the agenda they tried to push with it, I'm not stupid enough to fall for it so it didn't bother me. It certainly was getting a little embarrassing with how awful the team is, and the never ending Oil change, but I will miss the behind the scenes stuff, and being able to see the players outside of the game. They need to do more of that imo, do more personal vids with the players, let us see their personalities and put in on the Oilers website. At least it'll be good for the team to not have a camera in your face at all times though.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Just rename it Lemon Aid Car buyers guide..

Remember to kick those tires before any purchase.

jk aside they probably stopped realizing that most people figured these were unintended comedy segments. The Comedy channel wanting to pick up reruns was probably a bad thing..

The whole book would be recall notices since 2010 and how to sue for damages.

Edmonton Oilers 2007-2014 - NOT RECOMMENDED

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The whole book would be recall notices since 2010 and how to sue for damages.

Edmonton Oilers 2007-2014 - NOT RECOMMENDED

Oil Recall works pretty well considering the nonstop traffic through the player and coaching ranks turnstile every year.

Personally I think I might have incurred PTSD or whiplash injury(turning away) through the 6 games I attended last season..

I think the collective score was something like 32-8. The Drinks were good though..

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Oil Recall works pretty well considering the nonstop traffic through the player and coaching ranks turnstile every year.

Personally I think I might have incurred PTSD or whiplash injury(turning away) through the 6 games I attended last season..

I think the collective score was something like 32-8. The Drinks were good though..

There was a time when I was younger, I used to go to Oiler games, and we'd win every single time. The team wasn't even good, but every game would be a treat. Now whenever I go it's the most disappointing thing I could have done all night. Every single game I go to is a loss, and a crushing one at that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There was a time when I was younger, I used to go to Oiler games, and we'd win every single time. The team wasn't even good, but every game would be a treat. Now whenever I go it's the most disappointing thing I could have done all night. Every single game I go to is a loss, and a crushing one at that.

If the Oilers keep playing bad in the fall they may force me to watch....Baseball.

The telltale signs are already there. Checking Blue Jays results, watching the game hilites, noting the skill in the lineup..actually watching some innings..

Somebody call a medic, I'm scared..whats happening to me? :D

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
If the Oilers keep playing bad in the fall they may force me to watch....Baseball.

The telltale signs are already there. Checking Blue Jays results, watching the game hilites, noting the skill in the lineup..actually watching some innings..

Somebody call a medic, I'm scared..whats happening to me? :D

I'd rather have my eyelids forced open to watch 12 more consecutive **** season of Oilers hockey than one game of baseball. (I'm not a fan, can you tell? :sarcasm:)

I seem to go to games that have a really high fan ego quotient. It's always against the Flames, and Leafs, Canucks etc. It makes the evening that much worse when you see the Leafs shut out the Oilers much to the elation of the Leaf fans parading around like they won the Cup. Games like that make it personal to me when the Oil lose. I needed them to come through with a win, and they let me down so, so hard. :cry:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
They should have renamed the series "Oil Stagnation"
I was pretty embarrassed by the series tbh. The only cool part about it was that it had tidbits about our prospects down in OKC

I prefer
"Oil Change: Appointment Cancelled"
or
"Oil Change: Warranty Void"
or
"Oil Change: Factory Recall"

By my count, there's at least 3 more seasons left.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'd rather have my eyelids forced open to watch 12 more consecutive **** season of Oilers hockey than one game of baseball. (I'm not a fan, can you tell? :sarcasm:)

I seem to go to games that have a really high fan ego quotient. It's always against the Flames, and Leafs, Canucks etc. It makes the evening that much worse when you see the Leafs shut out the Oilers much to the elation of the Leaf fans parading around like they won the Cup. Games like that make it personal to me when the Oil lose. I needed them to come through with a win, and they let me down so, so hard. :cry:

heh, anybody knowing my expressed opinion on baseball would be shocked at the above.

Whats next in store for me? Watching golf, plaid shorts and Arnold Palmer tops.. ....<dread> ;)

ps just occurred to me that Dubnyk, Jones, etc might be performing actual Oil changes soon..now that would be an unintended but fitting plot twist.

A GDT featuring all current and past oilers in photoshopped other positions would be quite amazing. I keep seeing Jones mug sticking out of a McDonalds hat taking my order. Kid needs a haircut..

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
heh, anybody knowing my expressed opinion on baseball would be shocked at the above.

Whats next in store for me? Watching golf, plaid shorts and Arnold Palmer tops.. ....<dread> ;)

ps just occurred to me that Dubnyk, Jones, etc might be performing actual Oil changes soon..now that would be an unintended but fitting plot twist.

A GDT featuring all current and past oilers in photoshopped other positions would be quite amazing. I keep seeing Jones mug sticking out of a McDonalds hat taking my order. Kid needs a haircut..

Dubnyk and LaBarbera were both signed during FAF. Let that sink in. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
initially enjoyed the series but agree, it was continuously more of the same, and got kind of boring. It can't be easy to produce a series like this but the quality just wasn't good enough to keep going for multiple seasons. Especially when there is no development of the plot haha. It's like every episode ending on the same cliffhanger "oh they lost, but wait.. another draft pick. maybe ...next season??"

Agree with the above posters that putting this on hiatus may also let the team focus more.

Regardless, congratulations to those who had the idea to make this series and had it last for as long as it did. hopefully they can revive this when the oilers start making the playoffs.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
It was nice to see some behind the scenes stuff, but it's hard to sell "Oil Change" when nothing is really happening and the team still sucks.

I imagine the series will have the intended effect if/when the team starts to play well again over the upcoming season.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I liked the show when it started, hell I'd still watch it.

But when they had the season finale of a montage of players that had played for the Oilers and it went on for 15 minutes - and the team is no better than it was on episode one.

It was depressing.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
i'm not disappointed. didn't watch many episodes last year anyways.

I will be the last to say it. I have watched most episodes and it was getting harder and harder to watch because ever episode was amost the same as the one last year. It was supposed to be for self promotion, but it turned into a gong show

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad