Oil Change not airing this year

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
@OilersNow 2h
"Oil Change will not air this year. On hiatus for now, will look at starting it back up next season." Don Metz.

I am disappointed! I love watching shows like Oil Change, NHL 24/7…

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Considering part of the purpose was self-promotion of youthful improvement, there was a degree of embarrassment with this program considering the complete lack of said improvement. I did enjoy the behind the scenes shots.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
It all came off as a very bad marketing documentary. The longer the series went on without any improvement regarding the on ice product, the more of a joke that the whole show ended up looking like. Plus it was probably a big distraction to the players.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
@OilersNow 2h
"Oil Change will not air this year. On hiatus for now, will look at starting it back up next season." Don Metz.

I really liked the idea of the show but I couldn't help but think it would be a distraction for the team. Always be under that much scrutiny is just a bit more pressure in a situation that doesn't need it.

Very glad it's off. Hope this helps the team focus.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They should have renamed the series "Oil Stagnation"
I was pretty embarrassed by the series tbh. The only cool part about it was that it had tidbits about our prospects down in OKC

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
It all came off as a very bad marketing documentary. The longer the series went on without any improvement regarding the on ice product, the more of a joke that the whole show ended up looking like. Plus it was probably a big distraction to the players.

Yah I agree with this, it probably added to the embarrassment of losing. No one wants a camera in their face when things are going bad. The show really was interesting though and I do hope maybe in the future once this team is a little more mature and competitive we get something like oilchange back. For now though, definitely seems to be an unnecessary distraction during a time of growing pains.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder who's idea this was. If I remember correctly, Eakins didn't give them locker room access last year whereas Krueger and Renney did. Wouldn't be surprised if Eakins thought it was a distraction.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Considering part of the purpose was self-promotion of youthful improvement, there was a degree of embarrassment with this program considering the complete lack of said improvement. I did enjoy the behind the scenes shots.

This.

Now we need to start Oil Change: The Sequel.

oiler-dude

Not surprised. Only the first season was truly anything close to behind the scenes, anyway. As the seasons rolled on, access was scaled back, features were scaled back, barely any mic'd segments anymore. It became a monthly recap show with a couple feel-good pieces.

Eirhead*

GOOD!!! The few episodes I tried watching, I felt like a creeper peering a little too deep into what is already an obsession for me. As well, there is certain information obtained in there which I felt shouldn't have ever been made public... Eberle playing with a broken finger - etc. On top of that it's a distraction, players and coaches are more likely to hold their tongues when a camera crew is documenting their every moves. Let the players be themselves, and for godsakes just concentrate on winning some games.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Good. That was an entitlement show that was a distraction and inflated egos. No shows till you show success

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I enjoyed the behind the scenes stuff. Weird that they'd cancel it for this season, with the possibility of bringing it back later on.

Jun 9, 2011
@OilersNow 2h

I am disappointed also, but maybe Oilers tv will have a few more features to fill the void. Not so much to distract the team yet enough to give a little more insight.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I have it on good authority that Oil Change was an absolute nightmare for the production crew to do. From the complete lack of creative control, to many sleepless nights trying to write voiceovers that polished the Oilers turd to an acceptable shine, it was a labour of love by some very talented professionals (and true hockey fans) to fulfill last season's contract. I wouldn't be shocked if Aquila told the organization "No thanks" on the 2014-15 season. The first quarter of the 2013-14season, in particular, brought zero highlights, and I'm sure the crew thought they'd wish the project could be put out of its misery.

So kudos to the production crew for doing an incredible balancing act. I'm sure they wished they could cast a more critical gaze, and the org definitely deserved it. I'm glad this embarrassing exercise in marketing is over.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Unless it changed last season (which I barely watched), my biggest issue with Oil Change was that most episodes featured out-of-date game recaps that were too numerous and overly long.

Personally I found Hail Mary (the one-off documentary series about the Edmonton Eskimos' 2012 pre-season) to be far more interesting. That's because the focus was more on the pro football tryout process and selected individual hopefuls than on simply rehashing old games.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
**** was terrible, but props to the people who put it together, and like Psycho Dad said "polished the turd"... was unwatchable though, mostly because of the team of course.

good riddance.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I'm in with the "Good." crowd. Never watched an episode, but from having worked in film AND having played some high level hockey, I know that this was a massive distraction/embarrassment for the team and a horrible/embarrassing project for the film crew.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Good!

If cancelling the show means less distractions and more focus on the ice for the players, then so be it.

This show is nothing but a propaganda ploy set up by our incompetent management to entertain fans about this rebuild. After four years of stagnation, management finally realize that fans aren't buying into their crap anymore.

Good riddance Oil Change.

I want to see the Oilers in the 2015 Playoffs, that's more entertaining than any ****ing episode of Oil Change!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad