Oil Change - Fixing the Mess That Lowe Made

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Anaheim isn't that weak on the blueline that they give up Smith-Pelly for Petry the pending UFA.

Gudbranson is having a really solid year. I expect that Tallon is hoping that he has a top pairing of Gudbranson - Ekblad in a couple of years. The Panthers have enough young, talented, forwards. I don't see them making this deal and increasing their cap hit up front when Huberdeau, Barkov, and Bjugstad will all be needing to be re-signed this summer and next.

:huh:

Ummmm.....I really doubt anyone takes a pair of 2nd's and Schultz as compensation to move up to 20th or better in the 1st round.

So the Coyotes, who have zero depth at center, are going to take the barely AHL ready Draisaitl for Hanzal?

:biglaugh:

Because now Subban is the goalie of Edmonton's future?

Ward is barely an upgrade on Scrivens as it is. Edmonton just eats a ton of cap here for a very minimal improvement.....and burns more draft picks.

The Petry one I'll admit was a little hopeful. I pitched the idea last year to Duck fans (when Petry still had RFA status and DSP was struggling to make the big club) and most seemed on board with the idea. Impending UFA status vs a more established DSP obviously alters the value, hence the unspecified plus.

Eberle is exactly the type of player they need to stick with Bjugstad. They have more than enough cap room to sign all those players and make necessary upgrades. And I highly doubt their plan is to have Gudbranson on a top pair with Ekblad. Both play the right side and Gudbranson is more of a 2nd pair shutdown guy.

The value of the Hall trade depends on how you view Zibby and Cowen. Both have size and play with grit, Zibby has the potential to be a 30-30 guy, Cowen would be similar to Gudbranson but on the left side. Hall is far and away more talented, but he suffers from Jeff Petry syndrome (zero hockey IQ) and doesn't strike me as a very good teammate off the ice.

The picks, if it were today, would be 31 and 39. Depending on the team, that gets you to 22-24 quite easily. There are plenty of similar examples (for instance 2010 MTL sends pick 27 and 58 to PHX for 22 and 113, Id argue 31+39 is more valuable).

Draisaitl for Hanzal would signal the inevitable purge and rebuild Arizona is on the verge of, something they may be more open to for next year when local AZ product Austin Matthews should be the front runner. This is assuming they don't win the lottery this year and land McDavid/Eichel. In that instance they keep him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Obviously the first step to righting the ship in Edmonton requires Katz to pull the trigger on Kevin "I Know a Thing or two about winning" Lowe. He's gotta fire him before it really is too late. But beyond that there is much to do still, and it doesn't require sending MacTavish down the road, because ole' Craig is positioned beautifully to turn Edmonton into a contender within 5 years. Here's how

First off, this whole theory is predicated on the premise that Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel really are as good as forecast, and neither of them will be the next Alexander Daigle.

With Edmonton almost assured a top two draft pick (again) this coming spring, MacT can turn things around in a span of several weeks, and here's how I would go about doing it if I were him.

At the draft, approach Ottawa, another team that is looking at a rebuild/re-tool, whether they want to admit it or not. The Senators have plenty of cap space, and Eugene Melnyk has recently gone on record saying he has no problem adding to the payroll if it makes sense. So offer them the following.....(this deal gets easier if Ottawa can climb up the standings).

To OTT: Eberle + Fasth or Scrivens + 3rd
To EDM: Anderson + Neil + 1st

Lehner is ready to go as a starter soon. Anderson will be a very expensive part-time starter by the end of next year. Moving him in a deal that could return a winger with Eberle's skill level isn't an opportunity that comes around often.

Edmonton gets a starter who should give them at least 3 years of solid goaltending. The Oilers also get a winger who adds energy, toughness, and heart. Something they are sorely lacking. The 1st round pick is just part of the price tag for a forward like Eberle, you throw in a return pick to oil the gears in this process.

Then talk to Phoenix. Ask for permission to have a chat with Vermette. If that goes well pitch the following......

To ARZ: Nugent-Hopkins + Ference + Arcobello
To EDM: Vermette (UFA) + Yandle + 1st (2016) + 2nd (2015)

I think that's a no-brainer for the Coyotes. They have never had that young franchise type of top center. Nugent-Hopkins has the hockey IQ and talent, pluse he's locked up to term. Doan and Hanazal are both there to bring him along. Ference gives them some grit and stay home blueline depth in their bottom-3, Arcobello someone to stick in the AHL to season a bit more.

Edmonton gets a solid two-way, top-6 center, a guy who can mentor some younger guys and show them the importance of playing a 200 foot game. They also get a legitimate top pairing guy on the blueline who can QB a PP. The 1st rounder is 2016 because the Coyotes suck and no way do they give up a top 10 pick this year.

Now approach Chicago, a team that is going to be in cap hell soon with $65 million committed in payroll to only 14 players. Saad and Kruger will need to be re-signed, and with Saad pacing Hossa for points this year it's not unreasonable to think his agent asks for at least $4 million. Kruger will probably be looking for a bit more than Shaw ($2 million). That leaves them precious little to sign 6 more players. So.....

To CHI: Yakupov + 2nd
To EDM: Hossa

Chicago frees up cap space and makes room for youth. They get a former 1st overall who has struggled, but still has amazing upside (that will remain unrealized if he stays in Edmonton).

Edmonton gets a top-6 veteran winger who is widely respected and has been an elite player at every level and won 2 cups.

Next move......draft McDavid or Eichel. Use Ottawa's 1st on the best available defenseman prospect. Wheel and deal, if necessary, to get one of Blackwood, Booth, Tomek, or Tretiak in the 2nd round.

Come July qualify Schultz, he won't sign it, then, if Boychuk hasn't re-signed with the Islanders, go hard after him, over pay if need be. He's a quality blueliner with a right handed bomb, who can matchup against the top forwards in the league, kill penalties, as well as bring a cannon from the blueline on the PP.

Hall - Vermette - Purcell
Perron - McEichel - Hossa
Pouliot - Draisaitl - Pitlick
Hendricks - Gordon - Neil

Yandle - Boychuk
Nikitin - Petry
Klefbom - Fayne

Anderson
Scrivens/Fasth

That line up could finish anywhere between 25th-17th in 2015-16.

It's a playoff team in 2016-17 and beyond.

The culture is completely changed.

You just drafted one of the next generational talents, and you pair him with a winger like Hossa to develop. Both him and Draisaitl can learn the 200 foot game from a guy like Vermette.

Any veterans worth their salt will see Edmonton as a destination that wants to win. The city itself will always suck, but the hockey culture would be outstanding, again.

There are 2 solid veterans on the blueline to help bring along guys like Klefbom and Nurse etc.

You have a reliable goaltender who gives you a chance, and a 3 year window to develop some youth in that position.

Hate to burst your bubble but Arizona say NO.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The following line invalidates anything after it if you ask me. The number one thing on your list above all else and in bolded letters should be"

FIRE MACTAVISH!

"But beyond that there is much to do still, and it doesn't require sending MacTavish down the road, because ole' Craig is positioned beautifully to turn Edmonton into a contender within 5 years."

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
All the Oiler fans need to chill a bit. Trading any players with your current management group would be a catastrophy of epic proportions. First Katz has to fire Lowe and MacT. Then the new management needs to find a real NHL coach that your younger core will respect and learn from. Let the new management group evaluate the team and act accordingly in the summer. My guess is they can get a handle on it and get the team going in new direction in short period of time. The problem is if you do not get rid of your current management group soon, no free agent will want to play for the Oilers. You need someone that the NHL in general will respect and want to play for. Heck, at the going rate your young core will soon request trades and your new draft prizes may refuse to report to the team lol.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The following line invalidates anything after it if you ask me. The number one thing on your list above all else and in bolded letters should be"

FIRE MACTAVISH!

"But beyond that there is much to do still, and it doesn't require sending MacTavish down the road, because ole' Craig is positioned beautifully to turn Edmonton into a contender within 5 years."

MacT is gonna need 2 more years to fix his screwups of the first 2. Then he has 1 more year to turn us into a contender. Good luck with that MacT. And the attempted "fixes" might just be more of what Tambo did, draft #1 and wait for the new kids to develop and hopefully they can put the team on their back while MacT and Lowe feebly try to surround them with good NHLers on value contracts and fail miserably.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Today's Dear Abby (all in jest).

Subject: Fwd: FW: Letter to Dear Abby

Dear Abby:

I am a crack dealer in Wetaskiwin, Alberta who has a steady flow of customers from the nearby junior high schools. I have recently become engaged to marry a former Cold Lake prostitute who lives in Smokey Lake and is still a part-time "working girl" in a brothel there.

My parents live in a suburb of Ponoka, and one of my sisters, who lives in Hobbema, is married to a Native transvestite. My father and mother have recently been arrested for growing and selling marijuana in Camrose, and are currently dependent on my other two sisters, who are prostitutes in Calgary. I have two brothers. One is currently serving a non-parole life sentence in Drumheller for the murder of a teenage boy in 1994. The other brother is currently in jail awaiting charges of sexual misconduct with his children in Bowden.

All things considered, my main problem is this: I love my fiance and look forward to bringing her into the family. I certainly want to be totally honest with her. Should I tell her about my cousin, who is POHO for the Edmonton Oilers???

Signed, Tom (name changed to protect the family name)

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

Dear Abby:

I am a crack dealer in Wetaskiwin, Alberta who has a steady flow of customers from the nearby junior high schools. I have recently become engaged to marry a former Cold Lake prostitute who lives in Smokey Lake and is still a part-time "working girl" in a brothel there.

My parents live in a suburb of Ponoka, and one of my sisters, who lives in Hobbema, is married to a Native transvestite. My father and mother have recently been arrested for growing and selling marijuana in Camrose, and are currently dependent on my other two sisters, who are prostitutes in Calgary. I have two brothers. One is currently serving a non-parole life sentence in Drumheller for the murder of a teenage boy in 1994. The other brother is currently in jail awaiting charges of sexual misconduct with his children in Bowden.

All things considered, my main problem is this: I love my fiance and look forward to bringing her into the family. I certainly want to be totally honest with her. Should I tell her about my cousin, who is POHO for the Edmonton Oilers???

:laugh: Dear Tom, most of the issues you brought up with your family are quite minor and pretty common in life nowadays. If anything, they are likley to make the family bond even closer.
I have a big problem with telling her about your cousin however. Remember most families have their one black sheep. In your case, considering the severity of who your cousin is, it would defenetely be best not to mention him, pretend he did not exist, if you want to eventually marry this woman. Don't forget, your cousin is the laughing jerk of the world, so even if your fiance doesn't follow sports or the Oilers, she would defenetely drop you like a hot patotoe should she know he IS part of your family.

Abby

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
To ARZ: Nugent-Hopkins + Ference + Arcobello
To EDM: Vermette (UFA) + Yandle + 1st (2016) + 2nd (2015)

I think that's a no-brainer for the Coyotes. T

Easy no from Arizona, actually. You could probably sign Vermette if you overpaid a bit in FA, though.

A
So the Coyotes, who have zero depth at center, are going to take the barely AHL ready Draisaitl for Hanzal?

Needs to be some more value there coming to AZ, but it's not that crazy.

Eirhead*

Hey guys!!! All we have to do is make like 20 trades and our team will be fixed. No problem

Ogopogo*

The rebuild has already been going on for the better part of 2 decades (2006 was a complete anomaly).

If Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak, Scrivens, and Fasth, all stay, the rebuild will continue until long after 2020 when Eberle and Hall have left as UFA's for a shot with a real team. Nugent-Hopkins will depart soon after for the same reasons. That above rebuild has you in the playoffs in 3 years, probably 2.

But with just a quick scan of your reply, I suspect you and Kevin Lowe have some common genetic material.

Carry on.

You sound like a young 'un. How cute.

If you honestly believe there was any "building" going on between 1988 and the salary cap being introduced in 2005-06 then you are delusional.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Well, that entire proposal derailed early when the OP declared that Mactavish was positioned to do something other than become the worst GM of the decade :laugh:

Last edited:

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Player development and drafting has to improve.....how can u be giving a #31 pick like Moroz less the 7 mins a night in the AHL....AHL vets getting lots of time on the farm over hopeful prospects, wonder how a guy like Pitlick or Lander would of turned out in a different organization.....not to mention the development of Yak or our countless dmen that have struggled to make any impact....and player need to understand how important it is to be on the right side of the puck......reward for a good defensive play as much as offensive play....

Ogopogo*

Player development and drafting has to improve.....how can u be giving a #31 pick like Moroz less the 7 mins a night in the AHL....AHL vets getting lots of time on the farm over hopeful prospects, wonder how a guy like Pitlick or Lander would of turned out in a different organization.....not to mention the development of Yak or our countless dmen that have struggled to make any impact....and player need to understand how important it is to be on the right side of the puck......reward for a good defensive play as much as offensive play....

You know what the best thing about that Moroz pick is? Ottawa traded a 2nd round pick in that draft for Ben Bishop. Our 2nd round pick was the highest 2nd round pick in the draft - we could have had Ben Bishop. Thanks for nothing, Tambo you bozo.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Never understood this complaint

Why are the prospects the Oilers draft exempt from having to earn ice time in the AHL? How does gifting a player minutes teach them accountability and committing to playing within the team structure?

Not sure how Pitlick(who was garbage his first few years in the AHL) or Lander(guy who was never known for his offensive ability, but became a PPG player at the AHL level) can be considered failures of the development system either. They've earned their ice time and status down there, and probably would be NHLers already if the Oilers weren't such a train wreck.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Fire Lowe, Mact and make Todd Nelson an assistant.

Hire Norm Maciver as GM and hire him a former GM with experience to help him. Hes got a massive hockey background and is known for identifying and developing talent having working and excelled in both fields. He is currently on his 4th year as assistant GM in Chicago and has been in the organization for 8 years.

Hire Paul MacLean or (its a long shot) Mike Babcock

From there identify who in what positions should stay/go, hire whoever has the best track record/is the most qualified in every position that needs filling.

Then with your new brain trust, identify who fits the mold you want to follow and how you want to play and act. Your guess is as good as mine since i dont know any oiler personally but id do...

Hall+Marincin to Nashville for Jones+Saros

Nashville get Hall and a young LHD which its my understanding they prefer LHD(that could have changed), we get our RHD we need and a promising young goalie.

Eberle+Draisaitl+Schultz+2016 1st+2016 2nd for Ekblad+Huberdeau

We give up a lot but we get another potential franchise RHD and a struggling winger that could probably turn it around. Florida get a RHD replacement for Ekblad and a ton of offense+futures.

Build around RNH and McEichel down the middle with Huberdeau and yak on the wings and a top four consisting of Ekblad, Jones, Nurse and Klefbom as well as Saros in the net, draft and FA sign wingers for the next couple years. Probably acquire another vet center to shield McEichel for a few years.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
It was not...........???

You know what the best thing about that Moroz pick is? Ottawa traded a 2nd round pick in that draft for Ben Bishop. Our 2nd round pick was the highest 2nd round pick in the draft - we could have had Ben Bishop. Thanks for nothing, Tambo you bozo.

It was not just the second round pick.......Tampa also threw in a player (I forgot his name but he is in the minors now).........and Tambo did not want to do that.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
I have to at least commend the original poster on trying to actully change the culture of this team. You cant create a team in a cap world especially, without a majority of established or experienced players. A lot of Oiler fans just revel in the fact that they have a bunch of young ohl allstar players and just cant give them up for anything. You cant get anywhere with:
Hall Hopkins Yak
Perron Mcdavid Eberle and then a bunch of no name players in the other positions. Then add to that Draistel and Arcobello?
You can keep 2 maybe 3 young expensive up and coming players thats it. Then you have to build a team. I like the proposals for the most part. Hall is untouchable but id try to keep Nuge and play him in the 2 hole and learn the game kinda like Kadri ,Turris and other young players on different teams. They cant handle the responsibility of a 200 foot game Yet. Eberle Yak Perron Schultz can be moved, no big deal.....

Following the OP Id try to do Eberle plus pick(Maybe 2nd 2014) for Vermette and Yandle .
Yakupov for Hossa does make sense in a lot of ways for both teams.
Id also consider Perron plus pick for Lupol.
Id also try to pry Neil out of Ottawa for more leadership and grit. Maybe just a pick would be all it would take or Schultz to get more back.
FYI Ference is not a player you build your D around he barely made Bostons lineup so yes I would overpay to the hilt to get a player like Boychuck to play with Yandle. Potential lineup....

Hal Vermette Hossa
Lupol Nuge Purcell
Neil Mcdavid Pouillett
Hendricks Gordon/Mcclement Pitlick

Yandle Boychuck/UFA
Ference Petry
Fayne Nurse

Zihuatanejo

Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I think the most important step to fixing this team is to clean house in every aspect of management, I'm sure everybody agrees with that.
There are zero moves I want done with any of our players, or any amount of hiring or firing without first changing who is making those calls.

After that is done, let the new crew assess at every level and begin the re-build starting from the goaltender and blueline out trading away whatever pieces they and the market deem necessary to make that happen.
I won't sit here behind my computer at my day job and pretend I know more about who should be kept or dealt than anyone else.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
It should be a cascading effect. First to go should be Lowe, and then the new person can come in with the mandate that he's fixing the club and no one is untouchable. He passes that mandate on down the line.

His obvious first step would be finding a competent GM, who would in turn hire a solid group of people to run everything from coaching to scouting. This group can then evaluate the team and decide what pieces will help us win and what pieces should be removed via trade or just cast off.

We shouldn't have this current management shifting around pieces and bringing in assets because their track record is so weak that it could very well hamper whoever comes in next. For the rest of the season I'd just like to see Nelson evaluate some of the OKC guys in the NHL to see if they're ready to contribute (players like Lander, Klefbom and Marincin). Unless they're going to fire Kevin Lowe, no need to start much else until the offseason. Of course, the offseason NEEDS to start with Lowe going, and MacT hopefully shortly after.

EDIT I just realized I said the exact thing the guy above me did :laugh:

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

Dear Abby:

That is hilarious!

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I think the most important step to fixing this team is to clean house in every aspect of management, I'm sure everybody agrees with that.
There are zero moves I want done with any of our players, or any amount of hiring or firing without first changing who is making those calls.

After that is done, let the new crew assess at every level and begin the re-build starting from the goaltender and blueline out trading away whatever pieces they and the market deem necessary to make that happen.
I won't sit here behind my computer at my day job and pretend I know more about who should be kept or dealt than anyone else.

Basically, this. But, with this comes a fan buy-in to go the long haul. A minimum of 2 years just to get to respectability. And the hopes of contending need to be gone. Just be a competitive NHL team that tries to be as good as it can.

The long term rebuild was a fools game. I got fooled. Admit it. It was wrong headed from the start. Just go back to being a normal NHL team that operates in conventional ways.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
To CHI: Yakupov + 2nd
To EDM: Hossa

Chicago frees up cap space and makes room for youth. They get a former 1st overall who has struggled, but still has amazing upside (that will remain unrealized if he stays in Edmonton).

Due to recapture issues, Hossa will remain a Hawk until he retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad