Oil Change - Fixing the Mess That Lowe Made

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Most of these trades are comical.

Why on earth would Ottawa take our junk goaltenders?

Other teams would pay a much better price for Hossa. Hes a steal at 5m and didnt come here when there was suppose to be 9m on the table.

I thought the worst one of all was the Coyotes trade. Take out the first and the second and that one might be closer in value assuming vermette resigns of course.

Ference is a salary dump with negative value and arcobello probably doesn't make the roster.

so it's basically RNH for Vermette, Yandle, 1st and 2nd? and arizona gets stuck with ferences contract too?? Laughable.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
How does this not belong in the trade thread?

We're giving up major assets for an okay aging goalie? Huge pass.

Hossa will be 38 when we are supposedly making the playoffs. I know there are some great players like Selanne and Iginla that are still very effective at that age, but the vast majority aren't. Also, Yakupov's value is also at an all time low. The best case scenario for the Oilers if they are going to move him is for another young player that is not looking good, like Larson out of NJ.

Your plan banks on Boychuk making it to the UFA status and him picking the Oilers. I think there is a slim to no chance of him putting an Oilers jersey on next season. Is there going to be any decent UFA that will consider this organization now? Even if management is cleared out, the man behind all of the teams failings is still here, Katz.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
The only reason I went with Eberle instead was because Yakupov's value can only go up. Especially if he's on the wing of the future C depth that you end up with down the line with McEichel/RNH/Draisaitl. I kind of ignored goalie since you never know what's out there come the end of a season. Obviously there will be an upgrade out there.

It can only go up but it probably won't reach Eberle's potential in my opinoin, and although the core of any team is at C and D, I just don't see us bringing in a better player to compliment RNH McEICHEL and DRAI as our centers... Yakupov's value if he gets top line minutes till the end of the season could improve but management and coaching have no clue what they're doing. Trading Hall and peripheral players can get to teh core of this teams problems, Eberle imo is worth more on our team and once the team improves I could envision trading Yak. Good insights though!

But of course if we had any clue how to manage our assets we would've moved Yak's pick for a D man way back when, and traded Gagner when he was worth something.... But that's another story. Goalies im not worried about.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
How does this not belong in the trade thread?

We're giving up major assets for an okay aging goalie? Huge pass.

Hossa will be 38 when we are supposedly making the playoffs. I know there are some great players like Selanne and Iginla that are still very effective at that age, but the vast majority aren't. Also, Yakupov's value is also at an all time low. The best case scenario for the Oilers if they are going to move him is for another young player that is not looking good, like Larson out of NJ.

Your plan banks on Boychuk making it to the UFA status and him picking the Oilers. I think there is a slim to no chance of him putting an Oilers jersey on next season. Is there going to be any decent UFA that will consider this organization now? Even if management is cleared out, the man behind all of the teams failings is still here, Katz.

Becuase he disguised his opinion as something that has to do with Lowe when actually it was just a way to insert his theory....

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Petry won't get much as he's a pending UFA.

I've said for a long time that Eberle is the one who should be traded. He has value, and we need to break up the bromance between Hall and Ebs. As much as I think Hall in a cancer in the room, he is a good player and I think once he grows up, he'll be fine. Getting rid of his boy Ebs, might give him the wake up call he needs.

Agreed you get what you can! First time in years we actually have something to offer for trade. If you get a second in a deep draft that would be great....

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
Oh boy, where to begin with this...

So if you're Arizona, why would you deal your #1 dman, a #1 & a #2 draft pick, plus a 1st line centre, for a still slightly unproven #1 centre in RNH and a bunch of garbage (Ference & Arco).

There have already been rumors that Yandle is available, and he's not the Yandle of 3 or 4 years ago, but he's still a good blueliner who can QB a powerplay.

The Coyotes have never had a legitimate top line center with an offensive IQ like RNH. Right now Vermette, who would be a 2nd line center on most teams, is anchoring their first line, in 12 seasons he is a career 42.5 ppg player. The Nuge is 11 years younger than Vermette, he scores at a 58.7 ppg pace. Vermette is also UFA, hence the 1st round pick. Besides, I have a feeling that plenty of GM's would give up a 1st round pick for RNH. No Lateral Moves MacTavish just wants more in terms of player return.

Ference is a veteran shutdown guy, Edmonton thought he was more than that when they signed him. Outside of Yandle and Michalek, the Coyotes have a young blueline, some of them would benefit from having a guy like Ference on the 3rd pairing. I don't think Ference is garbage, just not close to as good as the Oilers thought when they signed him, so part ways now.

Arcobello has some upside, he's a bit small, but he has heart and could turn into a decent bottom-6 center in time.

No way you get Hossa for Yak & a 2nd. Why would Chicago do that?

Because they are going to be cap strapped this off-season. $8 million in cap space to sign 9 players (if they carry a 23 man roster). One of those players is Saad, who is going to be due a big raise. Saad is pacing Hossa for points, is 13 years younger, and can be signed to a shorter term deal that probably pays $1M less per season.

Yak was a 1st overall pick for a reason. He has an amazing skill set, but nobody has shown him how to use it. He's never going to mature in Edmonton, that ship sailed when they kept him up last year with absolutely zero veterans to mentor him. Stick him in a lineup with Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, and Versteeg, the guy has a chance. You throw in the 2nd because it's Hossa. And also because of their top forwards, only Hossa lacks a No-Trade-Clause and can't rule out a trade to Edmonton.

Ottawa proposal is same thing.

Why part with Anderson? Because you can get a RW'er who is ranked in the top 15 (as high as 8th depending on source) at his position, one who is locked up to term, and only 24 years old. You also let Bishop go because you believe in Robin Lehner, who is closer and closer to sharing the job outright with Anderson. Anderson is on his way out of Ottawa in the next year or so. I guess getting the 10th ranked RW'er in the league isn't worth a 1st round pick and a $4 million soon-to-be backup goalie to you.

Maybe adding in Neil is too much though.

If I'm Arizona, and would consider moving Yandle and Vermette, I'd want one of Hall or RNH, maybe Schultz or Nurse, + + +

That's if you are as short-sighted as the Oilers management has been for the last 15 years. Vermette is NOT a 1st line center. But it's a safe bet it will cost close to $5 million to keep him. And Yandle has apparently been shopped already.

So, you won't give up a 32 year old 2nd line UFA center + a slightly over-priced defensemen who is declining a bit, + a 1st round pick that is 1.5 years away + a 2nd round pick? When you could get a 1st line center who is only 21 years old + a 3rd pairing defensemen who knows how to play tough defense (when assigned that role) + a depth center who could end up being a decent 2-way pivot.

Ok, maybe drop the 2nd rounder?

If I'm Chicago, I wouldn't trade Hossa. He's a big part of their team. A big, veteran 30+ goal scorer, that plays with some grit. You don't just give up on those guys. Not while your team is a perennial Cup contender. And you certainly don't trade him for a potential draft bust and a 2nd round pick.

You do if you have to stay under the salary cap and other big ticket players hold NTC's. You do if you look and see that he's 35 years old, has started to trend down in production, and some of your current players are ready to step into the role he will vacate. You do if you can get back a raw talent that is 14 years younger and has the potential to be a prolific scoring threat with some guidance. It's a numbers game with Hossa at this point in his career.

I like the passion of Oilers fans, but they have to approach these things from the other teams perspective. Sure, they look good with Oilers glasses on, but every fan over rates their players. Also remember that other GM's know the Oilers are in need, so you bend them over as much as possible.

LOL. I'm most definitely NOT an Oilers fan. Can't stand them actually, and I would love nothing more than to see them suck in perpetuity, which they will do if they keep this group together. But, I got into this discussion with someone else, so I actually approached this from both team's perspectives.

I actually think that Ottawa becomes a better team by adding Eberle. Losing Anderson hurts for a season, the current group isn't going to do much next year either, and Eberle is a hell of a lot better than anything they are going to get in free agency.

I think Phoenix starts on a much better path with a top-2 punch down the middle of RNH and Hanzal, instead of Vermette and Hanzal. They also don't miss Yandle as much as some think. As the GM of the Coyotes I would have to consider that Vermette is not guaranteed to re-sign here, and since this whole scenario takes place around draft time, I might really only be giving up Vermette's rights (which I lose in a couple weeks anyhow) and a future 1st in exchange for Nugent-Hopkins. So when they ask for Yandle and are giving me back Ference, a guy who will be a decent addition in the bottom-3, it doesn't hurt so much at all.

If I'm Steve Bowman, I am loathe to part with Hossa, but I know that if I keep him, I have to let a younger player go, one who I don't want to cut loose. I would prefer to trade Sharp, but dealing with his NTC could be problematic since he's quite happy to be a Blackhawk. I see real potential in Yakupov, and who knows what my scouts can do with that 2nd round pick.....that Duncan Keith guy who carries by blueline was a 2nd round pick after all.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hossa would quietly submit a trade demand here after a few months, lets be real.

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
Sooo many things wrong with this wow. Came in thinking this thread would be about Kevin Lowe, only to realize it was just another dumb trade thread.

There's nothing to talk about regarding Kevin Lowe. He should be fired. End of story.

Ottawa trade sucks and did I hear you say Neil has as much skill as Eberle? I hope I didn't.

Ummm, definitely not. Must be the holiday wine. ;)

We don't need an aging goalie that badly, what good is 3 solid years of goaltending if you predict the following season to finish at the bottom again? Cup run the next 2 years I think not... I'd be happier using Eberle solve a puzzle that's harder like a solid defenceman, you can trade for goalies with alot less than Eberle, so thats just stupid.

Scrivens is NOT a starter, Fasth probably won't be either, despite early rumblings about his hot play in Anaheim a couple of years ago.

Every team needs a goaltender who can hold the fort. Anderson can do that. The point of him is to give the team some confidence, especially a team with young players that is trying to rebuild. Anderson alone would probably be a boost of 3 or 4 spots in the standings. That's how bad Scrivens and Fasth have been behind a porous defense. Plenty of weak goals despite some improved advanced stats for Edmonton. By the time Anderson is done his current deal, Edmonton should have had time to find a legitimate replacement. Anderson can be resigned for cheaper, and help mentor a young goalie.

The Chicago one is beyond idiotic, they'd never do it and at 5.5 mil hossa is awesome on the cap, not to mention Yakupov has proven nothing. What do we want Hossa for? He won't be around when we are competing in the playoffs...

Because after Chicago re-signs Saad (probably $4 million given his play and current market), they will have $4 million to spend on 7 players (who total nearly $8 million currently).

Hossa is absolutely a great deal at $5.5 million. But will he still be a great deal in 2 years when he is 37 years old? He's the only guy without a NTC in their top 9 cap hits. Only a moron holds onto a 35 year old winger at the expense of a 22 year old winger who is recording the exact same numbers and shows some strong signs of having a very similar style as the older guy. Also, if a GM sits on the 35 year old when he's offered youth with that kind of potential plus a pick, is he going to get a better offer in 2 or 3 years when he's paying $5.5 million for 30 or 40 points?

Phoenix trade doesn't make much sense either, at least with RNH in the picture. The entire idea is to hold onto our centerman and D men, let the wingers go and Yandle isn't everything he's cracked up to be. People think of the Yandle 3 years ago not hte one today.

:help:

What? So I say trade a ****** goalie, a hot prospect winger, a top winger, a 3rd pairing defenseman, and a center, and your response is that you have to keep your centermen and D men? If you speak for the Oilers, no wonder they can't improve.

And as I said, it is all predicated on the belief that McDavid or Eichel are going to turn into the franchise centers that the talking heads and scouts are saying they will become. But if you DON'T get someone to play with them and develop them. If you bring them into a losing culture, you will ruin them. McDavid and Eichel >>>> RNH.

Yandle is still better than anyone currently on the Oilers blueline btw.

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
Hossa would quietly submit a trade demand here after a few months, lets be real.

I doubt it. Not if he was playing with a kid like McDavid or Eichel. Guys like Hossa get re-energized when they get a chance to be a part of mentoring the next generation of elite players. Hossa has won everything at this point.

If you simply added Hossa to the current Oilers team, then yes, I have a feeling he wouldn't even report.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
This thread is not helping anyone, not identifying problems in our beloved teams and is a done-over exercise in playing as a GM in EA NHL 2015 without actually playing EA NHL 2015. *sigh*

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
Instead of strictly shooting down this proposal I'll make one as well:

1) Clean house in every area of the organization, coach included, bring in somebody whose experienced.
2) Move Hall and 1 of Petry or Marincin and 2nd round pick for a #1 defenseman
3) Move Yakupov, Scrivens and pick for a really good backup goalie whose ready to start (AKA Jones)
4) Try to sign a solid 3rd line centre
5) Draft McEichel

1) Coach has already been changed. Please keep up.

2) Petry is UFA and won't bring much. Marincin is a nobody at this point. If you are drafting McDavid or Eichel, Hall is the one winger you keep. The list of available #1's out there is pretty short, and if you are drafting a future franchise center, you trade the most valuable commodity in RNH because he is being replaced via draft.

3) Jones? What is the deal with Oiltown and bringing in unproven backups who have had some hot play and declaring them the future in the crease? Jones has amazing stats, but he's only played in 24 NHL games, and behind the one of the best teams in the last 10 years.

4) So far signing solid players has not gone well for the Oilers. There's a reason for that btw.

5) Go for it. Draft McEichel. It changes nothing if you don't completely change the team and have legitimate top talent veterans to help them develop. There is a long list of stars in this league who can point to one or two veteran stars who showed them the way.

This would give the oil a #1 D, break up the 'core', dramatically change our goalie situation so Fasth can be backup, provide room for D prospects to step up and fill 3-6 roles and our 3rd line centre position is solved allowing McEichel to play 2C behind RNH with the potential for our 3C to move up and swap with McEichel if they struggle.

So Fasth is gonna backup an unproven, flash in the pan, youngster? What happens when that goes south again? Remember Scrivens? He was the real deal last year. :P

If you want to develop your blueline, I suggest you balance it somewhat. Having 3-6 filled with 20 year old AHL'ers with next to no NHL experience is a good way to make that unproven goalie look like an ECHL call-up in a hurry.

And who is going to mentor McEichel? RNH? Good call, he's got a TON of experience. And who is the 3C? Draistaitl? Oh right, Gordon, yeah, because he's a top-6 center.

:biglaugh:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
1. Fire KLowe,
2. Rehire him immediately so you can fire his ass again.
3. Repeat 2. A thousand times.
4. Scouting, scouting, scouting - don't fire the scouts. Send all the current staff to Yakutsk for eternity, and make them focus on novice and atom player scouting ONLY.
5. Hire a new POHO,
6. Assemble the best collection of scouts on the planet, spare nothing in doing this. This is the only way the Oilers can build a winner.
7. Call the guys in Yakutsk to make sure they are still there,
8. Call Putin to tell him the scouts in 4 are really Chechnyan rebels,
9. Send MacT to Siberia, call him via Skype when he gets there, fire him.
10. Make Yakupov Captain.

Well this can go on forever.

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
Most of these trades are comical.

Why on earth would Ottawa take our junk goaltenders?

Other teams would pay a much better price for Hossa. Hes a steal at 5m and didnt come here when there was suppose to be 9m on the table.

Because neither of them are truly junk in a backup role. And they would be taking them on to share with Lehner until Lehner is ready (probably as soon as next season).

Fasth is decent, his numbers behind an actual NHL team bear that out. Behind the Oklahoma City Barons just about every goaltender is going to look pretty weak when facing off against an NHL team. :P

You're probably right about Hossa and other teams, but what other teams can add $5 million in salary and only give back a player on an ELC?

As for his not coming to Edmonton for $9M, it was because he was in his early 30's and wanted a shot at the Cup. He was never going to get in Oiltown back then. He's won a pair of them now, and if he's traded, he has no choice because he'll be under contract. It would be play here or head to the KHL for a Ruble.

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
Outsider or not... you've basically hit the nail on the head with what this team needs to do. The only thing I would change is trade Yakupov in the off-season and keep Eberle with RNH. When we move Yakupov and other peripheral players like Perron, (sadly) Petry, we can look to acquire leadership through those guys. Eberle is a winner, and a clutch player it's just that our culture is so atrocious it spoils everyone. But your basically dead on with this. Try to move Scrivens or Fasth and a high pick for a better goalie if you can as well.

So you have an atrocious culture that needs to change.

Culture is a combination of management, coaching, and players.

Your answer is to trade a pending UFA, Yakupov, and Perron? :handclap: :biglaugh:

That's going to get you leadership? You do realize that those are the earth shattering moves that Edmonton has been pulling off since Pronger left town right?

I'll give you that Yak and a pick/prospect could return a veteran player with leadership skills. Perron and a pending UFA are going to net you exactly jack ****.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
One change to our roster that has to happen is team toughness. I'm not talking a Chewbacca clone like Gazdic, but toughness on every line, every D pair. Any team that comes in our barn leaves black and blue, whether we win or lose. It's no mystery that, even as the downfall began after the cup run, our team's were still competitive in terms of effort (the final month and a half of 07-08 is a good example) up until Lowe got infected with the skill ***** and dismantled our bottom 6 without replacing a single guy. Torres, Stoll, Brodziak, Glenncross were either traded or left without ever worrying about a replacement.

My plan....

At the deadline:

Trade Petry+ for DSP (they need help on D and have a crazy amount of big forwards)

Draft one of McDavid/Eichel (I get the feeling we finish last but lose the lottery)

Trade Eberle for Gudbranson

Trade Hall for Zibenejad+Cowen+2nd

Trade our 2nd + OTT 2nd from the Hall trade to move up in the 20-24 range if Greenway is still on the board. Add Schultz to the equation if we feel he goes earlier.

Trade Draisaitl for Hanzal

Trade 5th for Bickel

Trade Marincin for Malcolm Subban

Trade Scrivens+picks for Cam Ward

Sign Boychuk to 6 year, 38 mil deal (6.33 per)

Buyout Nikitin

Sadly, keep Ference because he may factor into luring Boychuk here, but talk to him about taking the C and giving it to Nuge.

Zibenejad-Nuge-Yak
Bickell-Eichel-Perron
Pouliot-Hanzal-DSP
Hendricks-Gordon-Pitlick

Klefbom-Boychuk
Cowen-Fayne
Nurse-Gudbranson
Ference

Ward
Subban

Please don't get caught up in who is where on the D pairings, just went with the best fits, ideally they all play similar minutes.

I think its a team built better for today's NHL. Whether the deals are realistic/available is another story, but I think they are legit.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Can we refrain from quoting the OP in its entirety if you're not responding to it all, in hopes of making this thread more readable? Thanks.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
If I'm Arizona, and would consider moving Yandle and Vermette, I'd want one of Hall or RNH, maybe Schultz or Nurse, + + +

Are you serious..?
Are you maybe, somehow, confusing Arizona and Yandle for Pittsburgh and Crosby? Chicago and Toews, maybe?

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
I thought the worst one of all was the Coyotes trade. Take out the first and the second and that one might be closer in value assuming vermette resigns of course.

Ference is a salary dump with negative value and arcobello probably doesn't make the roster.

so it's basically RNH for Vermette, Yandle, 1st and 2nd? and arizona gets stuck with ferences contract too?? Laughable.

Ference isn't as bad as you Coiler fans think. He's probably a poor man's Kevin Bieksa, slower, not as smart or talented, but tougher. He was brought in and paraded out by Lowe and MacTavish as this all-encompassing blueline stud who was going to save the day and bring leadership to the room. Epic fail. So you hate him. He's a #4 or #5 guy, #6 on a contender like LA. So he's overpaid by probably $750K, but he's only got 2 years left on his deal, and if he'll waive his NMC (just realized he had one:blush:), then he should be sent to a team that will play him to his strengths.

It's interesting to see the disparity among Oilers fans and their perceived value of their own players. Some of you seem to think that RNH is the best asset you have, some of you think he's not worth a 1st round pick + Yandle.

Nugent-Hopkins in worth more than Yandle and a 1st round pick by themselves. Probably not both together, but top centers are generally held as high value. Add in a guy who would be the #5 defensemen, and a prospect, and it balances out. It's not something you can look at as individual values, but rather a sum of the parts.

The 2nd round pick probably is not warranted.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers should be banned from trading any of their players and should be banned from signing any UFAs.

NHL should force the team to develop them, like every other franchise (not named the Wang/Milbury Islanders) does.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
OP lost me in the first paragraph when he said Mactavish didn't need to be fired and felt he could make this team competitive in 5 years. Mactavish isn't ever going to turn this team around regardless of how much time he's given. He isn't a smart hockey man. Impossible to take anything he wrote seriously after that.

stevrock

Jun 9, 2013
If the sens are in a retool, why would they give up their 1st round pick for a winger they do not need and a goalie they can get better value for?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
No trades can fix this.

Just burn the whole thing to ground and start over with new, quality people in the positions of leadership.

Let the Lowe and co. legacy live for decades in infamy, as the worst NHL management team of all time. Let their names forever be associated with incompetence.

Sorry Kevin, but u made your bed.

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
My plan....

At the deadline:

Trade Petry+ for DSP (they need help on D and have a crazy amount of big forwards)

Anaheim isn't that weak on the blueline that they give up Smith-Pelly for Petry the pending UFA.

Trade Eberle for Gudbranson

Gudbranson is having a really solid year. I expect that Tallon is hoping that he has a top pairing of Gudbranson - Ekblad in a couple of years. The Panthers have enough young, talented, forwards. I don't see them making this deal and increasing their cap hit up front when Huberdeau, Barkov, and Bjugstad will all be needing to be re-signed this summer and next.

Trade Hall for Zibenejad+Cowen+2nd

:huh:

Trade our 2nd + OTT 2nd from the Hall trade to move up in the 20-24 range if Greenway is still on the board. Add Schultz to the equation if we feel he goes earlier.

Ummmm.....I really doubt anyone takes a pair of 2nd's and Schultz as compensation to move up to 20th or better in the 1st round.

Trade Draisaitl for Hanzal

So the Coyotes, who have zero depth at center, are going to take the barely AHL ready Draisaitl for Hanzal?

Trade 5th for Bickel

:biglaugh:

Trade Marincin for Malcolm Subban

Because now Subban is the goalie of Edmonton's future?

Trade Scrivens+picks for Cam Ward

Ward is barely an upgrade on Scrivens as it is. Edmonton just eats a ton of cap here for a very minimal improvement.....and burns more draft picks.

Sign Boychuk to 6 year, 38 mil deal (6.33 per)

Sadly, keep Ference because he may factor into luring Boychuk here, but talk to him about taking the C and giving it to Nuge.

So that would go something like this?

MacT: Umm, so Andrew, we need to talk.

Ference: Sure Mac, what's up?

MacT: Well we've been thinking about this team's direction.....

AF: Yeah?

MacT: Yeah. And we don't think you're really captain material anymore.

AF: Huh?

MacT: In fact we actually think that Ryan is a better choice.....

AF: Smytty? Well, yeah.....but he retired.

MacT: Ummm no, not Ryan Smyth, the other Ryan.

AF: ...

MacT: That skinny white kid that looks like an Ethiopian albino.....

AF: Nuge? Are you kiddin' me?

MacT: No.

AF: Well what about all that stuff you said back when you signed me?

MacT: Well, those were just words. Kevin writes my script and all ya know.

AF: Well this is BS Mac, I want a trade.

MacT: Ummmm, yeah.....I'm gonna have to go ahead and say no to that. You see, we need you to talk to Johnny Boychuk, convince him to sign here. Can ya do that for us?

AF: .....

MacT: Great talk Andy, thanks for this. Lemme know what Johnny says.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad