Oil Change - Fixing the Mess That Lowe Made

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
Obviously the first step to righting the ship in Edmonton requires Katz to pull the trigger on Kevin "I Know a Thing or two about winning" Lowe. He's gotta fire him before it really is too late. But beyond that there is much to do still, and it doesn't require sending MacTavish down the road, because ole' Craig is positioned beautifully to turn Edmonton into a contender within 5 years. Here's how

First off, this whole theory is predicated on the premise that Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel really are as good as forecast, and neither of them will be the next Alexander Daigle.

With Edmonton almost assured a top two draft pick (again) this coming spring, MacT can turn things around in a span of several weeks, and here's how I would go about doing it if I were him.

At the draft, approach Ottawa, another team that is looking at a rebuild/re-tool, whether they want to admit it or not. The Senators have plenty of cap space, and Eugene Melnyk has recently gone on record saying he has no problem adding to the payroll if it makes sense. So offer them the following.....(this deal gets easier if Ottawa can climb up the standings).

To OTT: Eberle + Fasth or Scrivens + 3rd
To EDM: Anderson + Neil + 1st

Lehner is ready to go as a starter soon. Anderson will be a very expensive part-time starter by the end of next year. Moving him in a deal that could return a winger with Eberle's skill level isn't an opportunity that comes around often.

Edmonton gets a starter who should give them at least 3 years of solid goaltending. The Oilers also get a winger who adds energy, toughness, and heart. Something they are sorely lacking. The 1st round pick is just part of the price tag for a forward like Eberle, you throw in a return pick to oil the gears in this process.

Then talk to Phoenix. Ask for permission to have a chat with Vermette. If that goes well pitch the following......

To ARZ: Nugent-Hopkins + Ference + Arcobello
To EDM: Vermette (UFA) + Yandle + 1st (2016) + 2nd (2015)

I think that's a no-brainer for the Coyotes. They have never had that young franchise type of top center. Nugent-Hopkins has the hockey IQ and talent, pluse he's locked up to term. Doan and Hanazal are both there to bring him along. Ference gives them some grit and stay home blueline depth in their bottom-3, Arcobello someone to stick in the AHL to season a bit more.

Edmonton gets a solid two-way, top-6 center, a guy who can mentor some younger guys and show them the importance of playing a 200 foot game. They also get a legitimate top pairing guy on the blueline who can QB a PP. The 1st rounder is 2016 because the Coyotes suck and no way do they give up a top 10 pick this year.

Now approach Chicago, a team that is going to be in cap hell soon with $65 million committed in payroll to only 14 players. Saad and Kruger will need to be re-signed, and with Saad pacing Hossa for points this year it's not unreasonable to think his agent asks for at least $4 million. Kruger will probably be looking for a bit more than Shaw ($2 million). That leaves them precious little to sign 6 more players. So.....

To CHI: Yakupov + 2nd
To EDM: Hossa

Chicago frees up cap space and makes room for youth. They get a former 1st overall who has struggled, but still has amazing upside (that will remain unrealized if he stays in Edmonton).

Edmonton gets a top-6 veteran winger who is widely respected and has been an elite player at every level and won 2 cups.

Next move......draft McDavid or Eichel. Use Ottawa's 1st on the best available defenseman prospect. Wheel and deal, if necessary, to get one of Blackwood, Booth, Tomek, or Tretiak in the 2nd round.

Come July qualify Schultz, he won't sign it, then, if Boychuk hasn't re-signed with the Islanders, go hard after him, over pay if need be. He's a quality blueliner with a right handed bomb, who can matchup against the top forwards in the league, kill penalties, as well as bring a cannon from the blueline on the PP.

Hall - Vermette - Purcell
Perron - McEichel - Hossa
Pouliot - Draisaitl - Pitlick
Hendricks - Gordon - Neil

Yandle - Boychuk
Nikitin - Petry
Klefbom - Fayne

Anderson
Scrivens/Fasth

That line up could finish anywhere between 25th-17th in 2015-16.

It's a playoff team in 2016-17 and beyond.

The culture is completely changed.

You just drafted one of the next generational talents, and you pair him with a winger like Hossa to develop. Both him and Draisaitl can learn the 200 foot game from a guy like Vermette.

Any veterans worth their salt will see Edmonton as a destination that wants to win. The city itself will always suck, but the hockey culture would be outstanding, again.

There are 2 solid veterans on the blueline to help bring along guys like Klefbom and Nurse etc.

You have a reliable goaltender who gives you a chance, and a 3 year window to develop some youth in that position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hire Marc Crawford as Head Coach.

Select whatever one of McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin/Stome/Zacha the Oilers are going to get.

Nail Yakupov for Erik Gudbranson or Adam Larsson.

Justin Schultz + David Perron + EDM 2nd 2016 for Tyler Myers.

KEEP Hall, Eberle, RNH, Draisaitl. Let Crawford work with those four and develop them properly. 2 good centers, 2 offensive wingers for them to play with, add in McDavid or Eichel or even Strome and you got yourself a stew going.

Sign UFA Chris Stewart. Another player that I think could thrive under Crawford, brings more size to the forward group too.

Scour the wild forests of Finland and go find the next Kipper or Rinne or bundle extra picks to get Martin Jones from LA.

Hall RNH Eichel
Stewart Draisaitl Eberle
Pouliot Arcobello Purcell
Hendricks Gordon Enforcer

Marincin Myers
Klefbom Fayne
Nikitin Gudbranson

Head Coach: Marc Crawford

Last edited:

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
Draft McDavid, then immediately trade him to LA for Gaborik.
Trade RNH to Carolina for Semin.
Trade Draisaitl + Fayne to NJ for Jagr.
Package Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse for Callahan.
Sign Acton and Schultz, release Yakupov, trade Petry for a 7th.

Eberle - Gordon - Hall
Gaborik - Acton - Semin
Jagr - Yakimov - Callahan
Semin - Marcobello - Pinnizotto

Schultz - Hunt
Ference - Nicki
Aulie - Musil
Davidson

Scrivezina
Fasther than the Speed of Light

I think Lowe just climaxed reading that roster.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Obviously the first step to righting the ship in Edmonton requires Katz to pull the trigger on Kevin "I Know a Thing or two about winning" Lowe. He's gotta fire him before it really is too late. But beyond that there is much to do still, and it doesn't require sending MacTavish down the road, because ole' Craig is positioned beautifully to turn Edmonton into a contender within 5 years. Here's how

First off, this whole theory is predicated on the premise that Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel really are as good as forecast, and neither of them will be the next Alexander Daigle.

With Edmonton almost assured a top two draft pick (again) this coming spring, MacT can turn things around in a span of several weeks, and here's how I would go about doing it if I were him.

At the draft, approach Ottawa, another team that is looking at a rebuild/re-tool, whether they want to admit it or not. The Senators have plenty of cap space, and Eugene Melnyk has recently gone on record saying he has no problem adding to the payroll if it makes sense. So offer them the following.....(this deal gets easier if Ottawa can climb up the standings).

Lehner is ready to go as a starter soon. Anderson will be a very expensive part-time starter by the end of next year. Moving him in a deal that could return a winger with Eberle's skill level isn't an opportunity that comes around often.

Edmonton gets a starter who should give them at least 3 years of solid goaltending. The Oilers also get a winger who adds energy, toughness, and heart. Something they are sorely lacking. The 1st round pick is just part of the price tag for a forward like Eberle, you throw in a return pick to oil the gears in this process.

Then talk to Phoenix. Ask for permission to have a chat with Vermette. If that goes well pitch the following......

I think that's a no-brainer for the Coyotes. They have never had that young franchise type of top center. Nugent-Hopkins has the hockey IQ and talent, pluse he's locked up to term. Doan and Hanazal are both there to bring him along. Ference gives them some grit and stay home blueline depth in their bottom-3, Arcobello someone to stick in the AHL to season a bit more.

Edmonton gets a solid two-way, top-6 center, a guy who can mentor some younger guys and show them the importance of playing a 200 foot game. They also get a legitimate top pairing guy on the blueline who can QB a PP. The 1st rounder is 2016 because the Coyotes suck and no way do they give up a top 10 pick this year.

Now approach Chicago, a team that is going to be in cap hell soon with $65 million committed in payroll to only 14 players. Saad and Kruger will need to be re-signed, and with Saad pacing Hossa for points this year it's not unreasonable to think his agent asks for at least $4 million. Kruger will probably be looking for a bit more than Shaw ($2 million). That leaves them precious little to sign 6 more players. So.....

Chicago frees up cap space and makes room for youth. They get a former 1st overall who has struggled, but still has amazing upside (that will remain unrealized if he stays in Edmonton).

Edmonton gets a top-6 veteran winger who is widely respected and has been an elite player at every level and won 2 cups.

Next move......draft McDavid or Eichel. Use Ottawa's 1st on the best available defenseman prospect. Wheel and deal, if necessary, to get one of Blackwood, Booth, Tomek, or Tretiak in the 2nd round.

Come July qualify Schultz, he won't sign it, then, if Boychuk hasn't re-signed with the Islanders, go hard after him, over pay if need be. He's a quality blueliner with a right handed bomb, who can matchup against the top forwards in the league, kill penalties, as well as bring a cannon from the blueline on the PP.

Yandle - Boychuk
Nikitin - Petry
Klefbom - Fayne

Anderson
Scrivens/Fasth

You just drafted one of the next generational talents, and you pair him with a winger like Hossa to develop. Both him and Draisaitl can learn the 200 foot game from a guy like Vermette.

Any veterans worth their salt will see Edmonton as a destination that wants to win. The city itself will always suck, but the hockey culture would be outstanding, again.

There are 2 solid veterans on the blueline to help bring along guys like Klefbom and Nurse etc.

You have a reliable goaltender who gives you a chance, and a 3 year window to develop some youth in that position.

Oh boy, where to begin with this...

So if you're Arizona, why would you deal your #1 dman, a #1 & a #2 draft pick, plus a 1st line centre, for a still slightly unproven #1 centre in RNH and a bunch of garbage (Ference & Arco).

No way you get Hossa for Yak & a 2nd. Why would Chicago do that?

Ottawa proposal is same thing.

If I'm Arizona, and would consider moving Yandle and Vermette, I'd want one of Hall or RNH, maybe Schultz or Nurse, + + +

If I'm Chicago, I wouldn't trade Hossa. He's a big part of their team. A big, veteran 30+ goal scorer, that plays with some grit. You don't just give up on those guys. Not while your team is a perennial Cup contender. And you certainly don't trade him for a potential draft bust and a 2nd round pick.

I like the passion of Oilers fans, but they have to approach these things from the other teams perspective. Sure, they look good with Oilers glasses on, but every fan over rates their players. Also remember that other GM's know the Oilers are in need, so you bend them over as much as possible.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Draft McDavid, then immediately trade him to LA for Gaborik.
Trade RNH to Carolina for Semin.
Trade Draisaitl + Fayne to NJ for Jagr.
Package Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse for Callahan.
Sign Acton and Schultz, release Yakupov, trade Petry for a 7th.

Eberle - Gordon - Hall
Gaborik - Acton - Semin
Jagr - Yakimov - Callahan
Semin - Marcobello - Pinnizotto

Schultz - Hunt
Ference - Nicki
Aulie - Musil
Davidson

Scrivezina
Fasther than the Speed of Light

I think Lowe just climaxed reading that roster.

Hahaha...good one. That would be someone our idiot management group would probably do.

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
Hahaha...good one. That would be someone our idiot management group would probably do.

Injuries notwithstanding, we'll HS two D a night (alternating two of the bottom five obv). Give or take, we'll hand out the following minutes/game:

Jultz: 37
Hunt: 37
D3: 16
D4: 16
D5: 14

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Rather than shoot for the moon with our trade offerings what do you think of the following..

In chronological order.

Trade at minimum the following
- Eberle
- Perron
- Petry

For early draft picks, good third/fourth liners, A good defensive d, A good young goalkeeper.

Then draft
McEchle in the first round
Draft every goalie prospect we can get our hands on after that!

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Rather than shoot for the moon with our trade offerings what do you think of the following..

In chronological order.

Trade at minimum the following
- Eberle
- Perron
- Petry

For early draft picks, good third/fourth liners, A good defensive d, A good young goalkeeper.

Then draft
McEchle in the first round
Draft every goalie prospect we can get our hands on after that!

Petry won't get much as he's a pending UFA.

I've said for a long time that Eberle is the one who should be traded. He has value, and we need to break up the bromance between Hall and Ebs. As much as I think Hall in a cancer in the room, he is a good player and I think once he grows up, he'll be fine. Getting rid of his boy Ebs, might give him the wake up call he needs.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I actually think Oil Change was a reason for the current state of the Oilers. No other rebuilding team (in recent memory) has put their struggles through the spot light like that. I know the Flames explored doing a rebuild TV series, but it didn't seem like something Ken King was interested in. Even though there's lot of revenue to doing something like that

Ogopogo*

I only scanned quickly but, your trade ideas are garbage. That would keep the rebuild going for another decade.

Jul 19, 2012
There is no instant fix for the Oilers.

Nothing should be considered until Lowe, MacT, and Howson are let go.

I dont think MacT is even allowed to trade players at this point. They want to see what they have in the system play at the NHL level.

All the moves will be off season. Hopefully by a new GM.

Ogopogo*

With our current managerial staff that will be what will happen regardless.

True. Every team is the sum of its GM's moves. If your team sucks it is because your GM sucks. Guess what that says about MacT and Tambo before him...

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014

Yandle - Boychuk
Nikitin - Petry
Klefbom - Fayne

Anderson
Scrivens/Fasth

Sooo many things wrong with this wow. Came in thinking this thread would be about Kevin Lowe, only to realize it was just another dumb trade thread.

Ottawa trade sucks and did I hear you say Neil has as much skill as Eberle? I hope I didn't. We don't need an aging goalie that badly, what good is 3 solid years of goaltending if you predict the following season to finish at the bottom again? Cup run the next 2 years I think not... I'd be happier using Eberle solve a puzzle that's harder like a solid defenceman, you can trade for goalies with alot less than Eberle, so thats just stupid.

The Chicago one is beyond idiotic, they'd never do it and at 5.5 mil hossa is awesome on the cap, not to mention Yakupov has proven nothing. What do we want Hossa for? He won't be around when we are competing in the playoffs...

Phoenix trade doesn't make much sense either, at least with RNH in the picture. The entire idea is to hold onto our centerman and D men, let the wingers go and Yandle isn't everything he's cracked up to be. People think of the Yandle 3 years ago not hte one today.

:help:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Fixing the Oilers is actually pretty easy.

1. Fire all of management and every single last one of the scouts.
2. Hire a new GM Eg Shero and have him bring in a NHL coach and NHL calibre scouts.
3. Address goal tending. This is HUGE for us. I suggest getting Malcolm Subban for Yakupov + 2015 3rd rounder.
4. Petry for Boychuk.
5. Hall and Eberle + 2015 2nd Rounder for #1 Dman.

All of this is assuming we have McDavid and we build the team around the non "problem players". Also our gaping goaltending and defense needs are addressed.

Jul 19, 2012
Change the oil, change the POHO/GM and any other OBC. Replace them with winning experience. Let them put in the coach, overhaul scouting and the development system.

The fix has to start at the top. Anything else is a waste of time.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
Instead of strictly shooting down this proposal I'll make one as well:

1) Clean house in every area of the organization, coach included, bring in somebody whose experienced.
2) Move Hall and 1 of Petry or Marincin and 2nd round pick for a #1 defenseman
3) Move Yakupov, Scrivens and pick for a really good backup goalie whose ready to start (AKA Jones)
4) Try to sign a solid 3rd line centre
5) Draft McEichel

This would give the oil a #1 D, break up the 'core', dramatically change our goalie situation so Fasth can be backup, provide room for D prospects to step up and fill 3-6 roles and our 3rd line centre position is solved allowing McEichel to play 2C behind RNH with the potential for our 3C to move up and swap with McEichel if they struggle.

Bps21*

I'm an outside observer but fire everyone is step 1. Step 2 is to move out some of the skill players for the kinds of hard work and leadership that is non-existent. I know no one want to move Hall...but Yakupovs value is in the gutter, RNH is the guy you should keep and Draisaitl should be immediately sent to juniors before everyone wonders why he's following Yakupov down the toilet. And it's not like you're winning with him. Scoring wingers are the final pieces...not the building block IMO. Kane came to Chicago after they already had Seabrook, Keith and Toews. Pitt can throw any winger on with Crosby because he's Crosby...which...you know...McEichel is coming. Trade Hall for a D that you'll want paired with Nurse or at least insulating him from hard minutes once he gets up here and a more well rounded forward. Eberle too. Everything now should be about "how do we not bring McEichel into this toxic wasteland where prospects go to die". I promise you you don't want to middle this and let that locker room and bench be a morgue when Nurse and McEichel get there.

Target leadership, hard work, two way players. Draft where you're going to end up drafting. You'll be way ahead of now just like that.

Just my 2 cents.

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
I only scanned quickly but, your trade ideas are garbage. That would keep the rebuild going for another decade.

The rebuild has already been going on for the better part of 2 decades (2006 was a complete anomaly).

If Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak, Scrivens, and Fasth, all stay, the rebuild will continue until long after 2020 when Eberle and Hall have left as UFA's for a shot with a real team. Nugent-Hopkins will depart soon after for the same reasons. That above rebuild has you in the playoffs in 3 years, probably 2.

But with just a quick scan of your reply, I suspect you and Kevin Lowe have some common genetic material.

Carry on.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Oh boy, where to begin with this...

So if you're Arizona, why would you deal your #1 dman, a #1 & a #2 draft pick, plus a 1st line centre, for a still slightly unproven #1 centre in RNH and a bunch of garbage (Ference & Arco).

No way you get Hossa for Yak & a 2nd. Why would Chicago do that?

Ottawa proposal is same thing.

If I'm Arizona, and would consider moving Yandle and Vermette, I'd want one of Hall or RNH, maybe Schultz or Nurse, + + +

If I'm Chicago, I wouldn't trade Hossa. He's a big part of their team. A big, veteran 30+ goal scorer, that plays with some grit. You don't just give up on those guys. Not while your team is a perennial Cup contender. And you certainly don't trade him for a potential draft bust and a 2nd round pick.

I like the passion of Oilers fans, but they have to approach these things from the other teams perspective. Sure, they look good with Oilers glasses on, but every fan over rates their players. Also remember that other GM's know the Oilers are in need, so you bend them over as much as possible.

chicago needs to move salary for next season, they will be in salary cap hell, once toews and kanes new deals kick in next season, i think they would rather move bickell, or even Saad before Hossa, but they do need to move salary.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Yandle - Boychuk
Nikitin - Petry
Klefbom - Fayne

Anderson
Scrivens/Fasth

Most of these trades are comical.

Why on earth would Ottawa take our junk goaltenders?

Other teams would pay a much better price for Hossa. Hes a steal at 5m and didnt come here when there was suppose to be 9m on the table.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Petry won't get much as he's a pending UFA.

I've said for a long time that Eberle is the one who should be traded. He has value, and we need to break up the bromance between Hall and Ebs. As much as I think Hall in a cancer in the room, he is a good player and I think once he grows up, he'll be fine. Getting rid of his boy Ebs, might give him the wake up call he needs.

Petry will get you a 2nd round draft pick at most, thats the going rates for pending UFAs, Eberle will fetch you a decent haul, Yakapov barely anything right now, even though he is still young and has pedigree.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
I'm an outside observer but fire everyone is step 1. Step 2 is to move out some of the skill players for the kinds of hard work and leadership that is non-existent. I know no one want to move Hall...but Yakupovs value is in the gutter, RNH is the guy you should keep and Draisaitl should be immediately sent to juniors before everyone wonders why he's following Yakupov down the toilet. And it's not like you're winning with him. Scoring wingers are the final pieces...not the building block IMO. Kane came to Chicago after they already had Seabrook, Keith and Toews. Pitt can throw any winger on with Crosby because he's Crosby...which...you know...McEichel is coming. Trade Hall for a D that you'll want paired with Nurse or at least insulating him from hard minutes once he gets up here and a more well rounded forward. Eberle too. Everything now should be about "how do we not bring McEichel into this toxic wasteland where prospects go to die". I promise you you don't want to middle this and let that locker room and bench be a morgue when Nurse and McEichel get there.

Target leadership, hard work, two way players. Draft where you're going to end up drafting. You'll be way ahead of now just like that.

Just my 2 cents.

Outsider or not... you've basically hit the nail on the head with what this team needs to do. The only thing I would change is trade Yakupov in the off-season and keep Eberle with RNH. When we move Yakupov and other peripheral players like Perron, (sadly) Petry, we can look to acquire leadership through those guys. Eberle is a winner, and a clutch player it's just that our culture is so atrocious it spoils everyone. But your basically dead on with this. Try to move Scrivens or Fasth and a high pick for a better goalie if you can as well.

Bps21*

The only reason I went with Eberle instead was because Yakupov's value can only go up. Especially if he's on the wing of the future C depth that you end up with down the line with McEichel/RNH/Draisaitl. I kind of ignored goalie since you never know what's out there come the end of a season. Obviously there will be an upgrade out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad