OHL Playoffs - McDavid vs Nurse!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I hope so but I'm not sure I like that comparison.

In his final junior year, Subban had 76 points in 56 games on a team that scored 256 goals. Nurse had 33 in 36 on a team that scored 340.

I just made the comparison based on the way they look to rush the puck often.

He doesn't have near the offensive instincts or shot that PK does. Better defensively though.

I wish that he would tone down the puck rushing a bit. I've seen all too often where he gets caught behind the opposition net where a forward would have to backtrack to cover for him. He can get away with that in junior, not so much in the NHL.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Agreed. And the fact that he's going to be one of those 220+ pound dmen who know how to drop the gloves makes it even better. Nurse is going to be a nightmare to play against, and this just makes me like him more

If Nurse plays like that in the NHL a guy like Gazdic is going to tune him in...

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Gazdic's of the NHL are a dying breed. There are barely any enforcers anymore. And most of them won't beat up non enforcers.

How about Lucic, if Nurse goes around thinking he's king **** and pisses off the wrong guy it won't end well for him. NHL has some tough characters who won't put up with that crap.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Funny how that basically never happens at the NHL level. I see Lapierre still acting like a ****.

No one cares about Lapierre he's a 4th line plug, he also doesn't fight people. Most agitators don't fight. If Nurse thinks he's going to come in here and be all cocky while still wanting to fight he'll get tuned in real quick.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If Nurse plays like that in the NHL a guy like Gazdic is going to tune him in...

Uhh, cause Pronger got tuned in so much? Or even a guy like Burrows

The funny thing is, I cant see anybody trying to take on a 6'5 225 beast. Nurse can and will tune just about any enforcer in

I see plenty of situations going like this

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No one cares about Lapierre he's a 4th line plug, he also doesn't fight people. Most agitators don't fight. If Nurse thinks he's going to come in here and be all cocky while still wanting to fight he'll get tuned in real quick.

Then what about Gallagher? Mocks other teams and their players, yet to be tuned in.

It doesn't happen.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Uhh, cause Pronger got tuned in so much? Or even a guy like Burrows

The funny thing is, I cant see anybody trying to take on a 6'5 225 beast. Nurse can and will tune just about any enforcer in

Nurse is only 205lbs, hardly a 225lb beast.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He was 19 years old and was able to overmatch everybody with his combination of size, strength and speed. Don't need a ton of poise when you are just that much better than everybody.

Those will still be strengths for him in the NHL so he will make it in some capacity. I'm just not sure he is going to be a top pairing guy. He could be but I wouldn't say it's a certainty.

The WJHC is basically a 19 year old tournament with the best players of his age group. If he can play that way against the best of his peers why is it that you think he can't learn to play that way at the next level? Do you really think that the first two game a rookie plays in the NHL dictates his future or even predicts it more accurately than how he plays against the best of his peers?

Of course its not a certainty that he becomes a top pairing guy. But his development is certainly not ruling it out.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
By the time Nurse is filled in there will not be many players willing to try to tune him up.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Sooo, what you're saying is there are better fighters in the NHL than Nurse?

Otherwise, anything else you're trying to say has gotten lost in the rambling.

I'm saying if he goes around agitating AND trying to fight he'll get tuned in sooner or later. Most of the agitators in the league turtle and get a penalty for their team.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
How about Lucic, if Nurse goes around thinking he's king **** and pisses off the wrong guy it won't end well for him. NHL has some tough characters who won't put up with that crap.

Alright I'll give you Lucic, if Nurse happens to piss off Lucic in the 2 games we play him he could potentially get beat up. But it's so few and far between. Look at Subban, no one has ever really beat him up. That I remember haha.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I'm saying if he goes around agitating AND trying to fight he'll get tuned in sooner or later. Most of the agitators in the league turtle and get a penalty for their team.

So in your eyes, turtling would be the more appropriate behaviour?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Nurse fought and beat up McCarron, a prospect people regard as tougher than Lucic was in junior

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
How often do we complain Oilers are too soft and pushed over too hard. Now we have a tough SOB who will stick up for teammates and himself and challenge other players... and we want him to become Schultz? Well this off season is going to be long

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The oilers have lacked a guy that is capable of agitating opponents. Not sure why we have anybody trying to crticize him. He can handle himself, and the kid's going to get bigger as he ages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Seems like some people here are confusing hockey with tea time or something.

The Oilers are in desperate need of a mean, nasty, **** disturber.. especially on the back end. How many times have we seen opposing teams run our goalie with barely a response from the Oilers? Have you guys watched the playoffs? Theres chirping and yapping going on everywhere on and off the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad