OHL Playoffs - McDavid vs Nurse!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Hockey players are professionals. You aren't going to get them to "try harder" because you piss them off, they're already trying. You might throw them off their game or get them to take a penalty.

Bolland and Marchand were total disturbers and helped take their teams to the Cup in their big playoff runs.

I don't think he's entirely wrong - but I don't fully agree with him either. There is an art to it. You have to know who you can trash talk and who you can't, and you have to know when you can do it and when you can't.

Trash talk absolutely can backfire on you, and to say otherwise is naive. But, it absolutely can work as well.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
K first of all, don't feed the troll.

Second... am I a complete homer for thinking that Nurse has the potential to be the best d-man out of the 2013 draft? Yes Seth Jones is better now and has better awareness/hockey IQ/whatever you wanna call it, but he's nowhere near as dynamic, aggressive, or physical as Nurse. I don't think any other defender in that draft class skates as well as Nurse, they don't hit like he does, they don't scrum like he does. I'll grant you that Jones has better judgment on when to pinch or rush and is a better passer, but otherwise it's like comparing Chris Phillips to Chris Pronger. Sure, Jones is sound positionally, but there's nothing game-breaking about him.

Nurse is going to make a lot more mistakes but when his hits and rushes pay off, man is he ever going to make the opponents pay.

Do you have a short memory? 2 years ago Jones was a beast in the WHL similar to how Nurse is now....... Not sure how he wasnt as dynamic or aggresive, do you not remember him when he dominated at the rip age of 22?

Pretty hard to make these claims until we see Nurse in the NHL.

azashi

May 31, 2006
Do you have a short memory? 2 years ago Jones was a beast in the WHL similar to how Nurse is now....... Not sure how he wasnt as dynamic or aggresive, do you not remember him when he dominated at the rip age of 22?

Pretty hard to make these claims until we see Nurse in the NHL.

I never saw Jones play nearly as physical as Nurse does. Nor was his skating as good. He'd take the body, but he wouldn't hit like Nurse, he wasn't as chippy as Nurse... I don't know what games you were watching =/

A Seth Jones highlight video is him dangling around, shooting or passing around like he's Patrick Kane. Which is reflected in his Lady Byng PIMs. A Darnell Nurse highlight video is him crushing bodies and blasting from the point.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
With this quote I question if you've ever played hockey. Some times you show up to the rink and you just can't get it going for whatever reason. Then someone pisses you off and gets your adrenaline flowing and you end up scoring a couple goals. I've seen it tonnes at every level. Watch for Debrincat to get on the board in the next game.

Well raab...if you've ever played hockey, which apparently you have but it seemed unlikely before you confirmed it, you also know that **** happens in the heat of the moment in a game of this magnitude.

No offense intended, but I think you're taking Nurse's action a bit too seriously.

Who do you think you are anyways? Jonathan Toews? :D

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I never saw Jones play nearly as physical as Nurse does. Nor was his skating as good. He'd take the body, but he wouldn't hit like Nurse, he wasn't as chippy as Nurse... I don't know what games you were watching =/

His skating? Really Jones was a beast in Junior, and yes he was very aggresive out there. Dominated Junior hockey at 17 not 19.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I can't believe there are people on the internet blowing a nothing incident completely out of proportion.

azashi

May 31, 2006
His skating? Really Jones was a beast in Junior, and yes he was very aggresive out there. Dominated Junior hockey at 17 not 19.

Jones is a good skater. But this good? No. Nurse is almost keeping up with McDavid, and he's got a bigger body to move.

And no, Jones wasn't aggressive, no more than Reinhart and that was always the knock on Reinhart. Pysyk was more aggressive than either by a mile

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Jones is a good skater. But this good? No. Nurse is almost keeping up with McDavid, and he's got a bigger body to move.

And no, Jones wasn't aggressive, no more than Reinhart and that was always the knock on Reinhart. Pysyk was more aggressive than either by a mile

Jones was keeping up to mackinnon. I dont understand how your comparing. You comparing their junior years? or right now? Jones is playing in the NHL and doing just fine on offense and defense. Weber went down in the playoffs, guess who took his spot? Jones.

Im not sure how you really can compare at the moment.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
lol if a top level talent needs someone taunting them to elevate their game then are they even an elite player to start with? the argument that you dont taunt the other team because they will try harder is stupid. They are all ready trying their hardest, thats why you taunt them, you are trying your hardest and you still cant score when im on the ice. It is disheartening to them not inflating.

Just wondering - do you watch much junior hockey? The reason I ask is that we are talking about a 16 year old kid. Sometimes they are sluggish or overwhelmed (playing a against 20 year old adults). It's not that uncommon to see a younger player in the OHL be sluggish and then turn things on...no points for two games light it up for the next three.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Meh, I'm not convinced. I'll take my hockey without the jackassery thanks. You don't need it to be a top team. The Red Wings won the Cup in 2007-2008 and didn't have meaningful players like that. Aaron Downey perhaps, but he wasn't a big part of that team I don't think.

Tootoo

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Who they were forced to use a compliance buyout on because he was so useless.

Anyways, the majority opinion is that taunting is the cool thing to do and that's that. I'm not convinced it's at all needed, but I'm fine with not being in the majority with those beliefs. Nurse is bound to be a favorite because of the way he plays even without that element of his game that I find distasteful. He's a beast of a player that looks to have a stellar future. Hopefully he grows out of that.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Get rid of Nurse. We can;t have a guy who chirps or taunts like that. It i snot morally right. Not good for the organization. We need nice guys on our team. We have a plethora of top 4 potential D anyways...

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
If I had to pick the most important trait in dmen. I would pick poise. The ability to stay calm under pressure and still make the right play.

Nurse has the physical tools no doubt. I am not convinced he has the poise to be a top dman in this league. He only played 2 games in the NHL this year but he looked extremely shaky out there. Extremely young and only 2 games I know but he didn't even look close to other young dmen like Ekblad/Jones/Lindholm.

Not saying he can't be great but it certainly isn't a slam dunk like many people here think it is IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad