Speculation: OHL may ban body checking

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
Via Sportsnet. In what looks to be a craven political stunt, the OHL (now glorified house league) literally banned all hitting for this upcoming season in the name of covid prevention. Hoping we (and every other team) pulls our prospects from this circuit immediately. Hard to imagine Hockey Canada willfully going along with this and irreparably harming an entire age group’s development, just cancel at this point.

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
Waiting for the inevitable backtrack. Dreger already walking back comments after fierce backlash on twitter...Did they really think people would be ok with this?

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Wow. so kids coming out of the OHL will get *absolutely destroyed* by grown men once they reach NHL/AHL, because they never learned to take a hit when they were palying against other teens. what a SMART move.

Reactions: Cmox and jacko23

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
Uhhhh yeah the O is screwed

Attachments

• 251E435C-6EF4-4792-9BFC-9B813BF9CFBA.png
    251E435C-6EF4-4792-9BFC-9B813BF9CFBA.png
    225.5 KB · Views: 8

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I assume regulators are saying “low-contact sports only” and this is the OHL’s way of operating within that framework? The issue is that you can’t play socially distant hockey, with or without hitting. Buses, locker rooms, benches, celebrations, etc.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just gonna paste what I texted Raspewtin and then posted on the main boards. Gotta be efficient:

So lemme see if I have this right.

We're gonna sit on the bench, bus, and dressing room together but let's ban hitting because the virus might...uh, pass from shoulder to shoulder?

Middle school science students understand virology better than this.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean if it happened, which has not been confirmed, I don't think it would be that huge of a deal. What if they just canceled the season? Wouldn't that be worse? Guys will just have to focus on developing other areas of their games. Skinner will focus more on his PMD game, Cuylle can work on his play away from the puck, etc. It's not ideal but I don't think it means guys are going to suddenly get killed in a year when things (hopefully) return to normal.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Because of the Chl's stupid rules we cant send our guys to the A instead of back to juniors. I really hope they change their mind on this because I dont want our guys developing in a league where body checking isn't allowed.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Do what you gotta do to get a season ok'd. Then you can just pretend every game is like the NHL postseason and just put the whistle in your pocket unless a murder occurs.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Because of the Chl's stupid rules we cant send our guys to the A instead of back to juniors. I really hope they change their mind on this because I dont want our guys developing in a league where body checking isn't allowed.
It's not the CHL. It's the OHL specifically because the province of Ontario appears to have different science from the rest of the country.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That rule literally keeps the CHL leagues going. Without them, almost all of the good drafted players would immediately leave for the AHL and the CHL's quality would take a really big hit.

I actually think it's a good rule for reasons beyond that, as it prevents teams from rushing players to the pro ranks before they're ready.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
It's not the CHL. It's the OHL specifically because the province of Ontario appears to have different science from the rest of the country.
Talking about the rule where junior players cant play in Ahl for the first few seasons after theyre drafted

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Just gonna paste what I texted Raspewtin and then posted on the main boards. Gotta be efficient:

So lemme see if I have this right.

We're gonna sit on the bench, bus, and dressing room together but let's ban hitting because the virus might...uh, pass from shoulder to shoulder?

Middle school science students understand virology better than this.

It’s also ok to tie a guy up along the boards and hang on each other as long as you don’t shove him into the boards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad