Speculation: OHL may ban body checking

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
That rule literally keeps the CHL leagues going. Without them, almost all of the good drafted players would immediately leave for the AHL and the CHL's quality would take a really big hit.

I actually think it's a good rule for reasons beyond that, as it prevents teams from rushing players to the pro ranks before they're ready.

that rule also only impacts a small number of players each year. Most 18/19 year olds aren’t ready for the ahl anyway. We fans complain about the rule way more than it actually matters

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I assume they’re not removing all contact, right? Just the big hits and fighting. I don’t think it’ll be that bad, if so.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
No, they are removing ALL hits, not just “big” hits.
That sounds kind of crazy. Guy skates in full speed with the puck and the only option is to stick check him? Or skate next to him and gently nudge him away from the net front? Negotiate?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Im all for smart health measures to keep the virus from spreading, but body checking is pretty low on a list of things you would need to do in hockey.

Faceoffs are more of a concern but what is done between shifts at the benches when everyone is breathing heavily for minutes on end, standing or sitting near each other and not social distancing is much more likely to spread the virus than body checking.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It is what it is. I imagine this is what the govt. of Ontario wants now if they're going to allow the OHL to go ahead with a season. From my experience with non-hit leagues there is always some contact with opposing players arriving at the puck around the same time. Women's hockey is played this way as well too?

But really if the health experts in Ontario want to do this during a time of pandemic--I'm going with the health experts. It certainly is an anti-Cuylle style of hockey though but I'm sure in coming years he'll be back to playing how he always has.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That sounds kind of crazy. Guy skates in full speed with the puck and the only option is to stick check him? Or skate next to him and gently nudge him away from the net front? Negotiate?
I think part of the idea is that rather than trying to legislate specific hits and types of contact that are illegal, you just make it all illegal. I have no idea if science supports the "minimize contact" approach but if it does, it's probably just easier to ban it outright.
Glad none of our top prospects are OHL guys.
Cuylle is there. He's not a top prospect for us, but he'd be in the top ten for most teams. Fortunately for him he's already large and physical, and what he needs to work on isn't really the physical aspect of his play.
Haha, poor players from THAT league! In the future, I mean.
It's not a permanent move. The province is pushing for it due to COVID. Unless the pandemic persists into fall 2021, the league will go back to normal play (if they even adopt this limited physical contact model). It would be worse for the kids to not play at all and I really don't think this will have that much of a long-term impact on guys moving forward.

Honestly, while not ideal, I think it's much ado about nothing. In ten years it will just be a trivia question.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
This proposed idea was brought on after two Quebec league junior clubs had Covid outbreaks after a game . Eleven players and two officials also developed Covid symptoms . Ontario just wants to figure out the best plan to protect the safety of the kids and their families and their billet families and their respective communities and schools . With the recent surge in round two Covid numbers.....should they in all honesty be even playing right now ? In the overall grand scheme of things....hockey is not a priority . It will be interesting to see how much fallout occurs from that last WS game and the teams and people involved .

Reactions: eco's bones

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Since this is coming from Ontario and not the OHL, would this have any impact on NHL games played in Ontario for next season?
It could get to the point where there is NO NHL season next year . I suspect the players or a large majority of them ....have had some time to review things after playing in one bubble already . Having them go through another season and a round of playoff games might be a huge ask by the NHL at this stage of the pandemic. I for one would not be shocked by a year without hockey....and it might become two depending on outbreak numbers and proposed vaccines being available and working . Buckle up folks....we are in for a bumpy ride .

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Because of the asymptomatic component to this disease stopping one covid case could potentially mean stopping a thousand. It doesn't take long for it to pass from one person to the next. We've literally had 1500 cases in a month in the county I live in which has about 85,000 residents. Over 500 of them were among inmates at a state prison that has an approx. 1500 population or an enclosed indoor area where people sometimes are crowded together kind of like an ice arena is an enclosed area and the ice surface and locker rooms people are sometimes in close proximity.

For me this is not something necessarily to be fighting about. Shannon at the hockey guy thinks that bodychecking opponents are usually hitting each other from the side or an angle and that face-offs is more about being more face to face. It's not like he's wrong but I don't know--if people with real medical expertise think it would be helpful not to have the hitting then....I'm kind of with them. It's a game and none of this is worth people dying over. I was watching a college team practicing and they were all masked up and maybe that's something to consider too.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If OHL does that, I bet a lot of NHL clubs will pull their good prospects out to AHL before age of 20. So maybe Skinner, Cuylle and Vierling will be in AHL this season. If there is AHL season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If OHL does that, I bet a lot of NHL clubs will pull their good prospects out to AHL before age of 20. So maybe Skinner, Cuylle and Vierling will be in AHL this season. If there is AHL season.
The NHL and CHL have an agreement where the kids drafted out of the CHL can't play in the AHL until they're 20 or have played 4 years of CHL hockey (basically). So other than Skinner, who was drafted out of the USHL, none of the other guys could play in the AHL unless the CHL agreed to waive the rule for a year (which seems unlikely).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad