OHL Expansion

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
If you're looking to expand to the US then I think I think the OHL ought to explore putting a team in the general vacinity of Erie. The Otters are kind of on an island unto themselves. I'd consider a team in Youngstown. They have a nice new arena, a good population base and it's only about 1.5 hours from Erie.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Didn't realize the Phantoms were still around, weren't the Phantoms part of a startup league that didn't make it a few years back? Guess I need an education on other leagues for sure....

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Youngstown is pretty isolated in the USHL. They're closest rival is the USNTDP and they're about 370 km's away. Next closest after that - Muskegon and Chicago - are both 640 to 680 km's away.

Youngstown -> Erie
160 km

Youngstown -> Niagara
360 km

Youngstown -> Hamilton
410 km

Youngstown -> Windsor
380 km

Youngstown -> Flint
460 km

Youngstown -> Saginaw
505 km

Last edited:

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Well then it would have made perfect sense for the OHL to get rid of Erie, Then the USHL would have stepped in & gave Erie a franchise. Instead they harpooned Bellleville to get their 100th anniversary of the Memorial Cup in Hamilton. One way or another Erie will have great hockey, sometimes we take a year off. Maybe Bassin saved OHL hockey in Erie, maybe Bassin saved himself & others.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Cornwall sounds like a natural fit. As for U.S. expansion, Muskegon could be a fit. They are in the USHL and have no natural rivals. That would change with long-time former rivals in Flint and Saginaw. Muskegon's New York based owners recently filed for bankruptcy. Kalamazoo could be a future prospect, but are currently in the ECHL. I would rule out Traverse City anytime in the next decade with only 15,000 year around residents and a 1,100 seat arena.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Snowmover, I am originally from Johnstown. I watched the Jets, then the Chiefs, and even attended a few Panther games. I hate to brag, but my wife and I drive 230 miles round trip to all the Otters games. We now live near Smethport, PA. Even before I retired, we drove during weeknights to attend the games. Both of us worked full time. Now we don't have to worry about those late night blizzard drives through the snow belt of I-86. I would be curious to see if anyone else drives as far to every game as we do. We do have friends who sit behind us from Ashtabula, OH. Their drive is about 100 miles r/t. Still, that is some serious dedication!

Well, I head down at least a few times a season to watch some Otters hockey(I've been doing it for years). Round trip, it's about 200 miles(90 miles each way).

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Didn't realize the Phantoms were still around, weren't the Phantoms part of a startup league that didn't make it a few years back? Guess I need an education on other leagues for sure....

No. You're thinking of the Youngstown Steelhounds, who were in the CHL for a few seasons. The Phantoms moved in for the 2009-10 season(they had been in the NAHL for a few seasons before that, in Youngstown and Mahoning Valley(they were in the suburb of Boardman).)

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
No. You're thinking of the Youngstown Steelhounds, who were in the CHL for a few seasons. The Phantoms moved in for the 2009-10 season(they had been in the NAHL for a few seasons before that, in Youngstown and Mahoning Valley(they were in the suburb of Boardman).)

Within a few months or so after reading about a couple of teams with problems, thought one was in Youngstown & another in Jamestown, I went to Quaker City & saw a billboard for The Phantoms, thanks for clearing up the confusion. I assume they are owned by the people that own the Fireworks stores?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Within a few months or so after reading about a couple of teams with problems, thought one was in Youngstown & another in Jamestown, I went to Quaker City & saw a billboard for The Phantoms, thanks for clearing up the confusion. I assume they are owned by the people that own the Fireworks stores?

most likely since it's the exact same logo, I doubt they'd get away with using that if they weren't owned by that group

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Youngstown played in the USHL. It is a step below the OHL in talent. They had an average attendance of 1,553 last year which indicates they would struggle in the OHL. They are just too close to Pittsburgh, which is all Penguins (just as Toronto is all Maple Leafs). Jamestown was in the NAHL for several years, which is a step below the USHL in talent. They struggles to average 600 a game. They were without a team last year. Again, too small of a venue, and too close to Erie and Buffalo. In a perfect world I would love to see Toledo get an OHL franchise. It would be a top 3 in attendance and be a natural rival for more than a few teams in the OHL. It won't happen for awhile.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
You're right about Toledo. I have a brother in law that lives in Toledo that would go to Whalers games every once & awhile. He always looks forward to the Thanksgiving Otters games as well.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Just had a chance to see pictures of the Corwall Civic Arena. Very, very nice looking building. About 3,900 seats. Reminds me a bit of Kalamazoo's K-Wings Stadium with the tunnels into the seated area.

the dog

May 16, 2014
Just had a chance to see pictures of the Corwall Civic Arena. Very, very nice looking building. About 3,900 seats. Reminds me a bit of Kalamazoo's K-Wings Stadium with the tunnels into the seated area.
2008 they added 1000 seats now 5000 for hockey

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
TcFlint, if you check the article we did on the possibility of Cornwall landing a team it touches on some of the issues. They upgraded the seating capacity, but the arena still lacks in a lot of modern amenities that would be needed to house an OHL team.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
The arena in Cornwall also has a beautiful setting.....right on the shores of the Saint Lawrence.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Youngstown is pretty isolated in the USHL. They're closest rival is the USNTDP and they're about 370 km's away. Next closest after that - Muskegon and Chicago - are both 640 to 680 km's away.

Youngstown -> Erie
160 km

Youngstown -> Niagara
360 km

Youngstown -> Hamilton
410 km

Youngstown -> Windsor
380 km

Youngstown -> Flint
460 km

Youngstown -> Saginaw
505 km

Considering the pitiful attendance Youngstown has in the USHL, they would never survive in the OHL. You're more likely to see the USHL grow around the Youngstown "island." The USHL could promote Johnstown, then look at Dayton, Akron, Canton, Huntington WV, Trenton, Atlantic City, Danbury, Wheeling (if they should lose the ECHL), Elmira (as with Wheeling), and perhaps even Pittsburgh and Philadelphia in the same way that the WHL works with Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary). If the new ownership in Erie decides to head North, the USHL would also be a good bet there.

As for the OHL moving south, I would look at Buffalo first and foremost. It's a shame the Harborcenter isn't bigger, but I wonder if Pegula had interest if he could simply have them play in the Sabres' arena and just use the lower bowl. As mentioned above, it works for big markets in the WHL.

brahmabull

May 30, 2011
Is there a reason they are not in the OHL?

Its the same as Chatham, population base. The OHL is apparently no longer viable for small markets that's why it is no longer in Belleville, Cornwall is a just little more than half of the population of Belleville. According to Wikipedia Cornwall has a metro population of 58 975 compared to Belleville's 92 540 plus Belleville also has nearby communities with a much larger population then those surrounding Cornwall.

brahmabull

May 30, 2011
Why should the Ontario Hockey League expand more into the US when there are perfectly suitable communities in Ontario like Brantford and Belleville who just recently lost a franchise due to politics?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Its the same as Chatham, population base. The OHL is apparently no longer viable for small markets that's why it is no longer in Belleville, Cornwall is a just little more than half of the population of Belleville. According to Wikipedia Cornwall has a metro population of 58 975 compared to Belleville's 92 540 plus Belleville also has nearby communities with a much larger population then those surrounding Cornwall.

The population with Cornwall and area is about 150,000.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Why should the Ontario Hockey League expand more into the US when there are perfectly suitable communities in Ontario like Brantford and Belleville who just recently lost a franchise due to politics?

Brantford is a perfect fit geographically and would have a good population base. But they lack a suitable arena. The moment they'd make definite plans for a new OHL-caliber arena they'd deserve a franchise, even if they temporarily played in their current arena in the interim. But until then, Brantford is a moot point, and there isn't a new facility there on the horizon.

brahmabull

May 30, 2011
The population with Cornwall and area is about 150,000.

That 92 540 is the area covered just by the city of Belleville after amalgamation, if you include the surrounding area of Quinte West, Price Edward County, Stirling, and Shannonville its actually around 170,000.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad