Post-Game Talk: "Oh yeah!"

3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Imo they need more teams in the playoffs, its been 16 since forever and they keep adding teams. Having half of the teams out of the playoffs is kinda silly to me. Add a few more and the end of season gets more competitive imo, it would also limit some of the tanking if teams that would be out now thought they could get into the 20th spot or whatever. You'd have 20 teams in and 4-6 more fighting to get in which would leave only 6 that would be in true tank mode.
I disagree. Playoffs should be somewhat earned. NHL was a joke for so many years with most teams making it. Last nights game would have been no different with 20 or 24 teams in

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I disagree. Playoffs should be somewhat earned. NHL was a joke for so many years with most teams making it. Last nights game would have been no different with 20 or 24 teams in
Well it would still be earned, 12 teams would still miss. Having teams starting to tank well before the deadline has watered the league down and created an unequal balance to the schedule. If you play a team at the start of the year a couple times they might be hard games but if things go south and they start tanking in January then someone competing with you for standings gets to play them 2 times after they started tanking it's a totally different team they are playing. If the 23rd team is still trying to get into the 20th spot they'll be less likely to sell off at the deadline.

Reactions: NCRanger

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The NHL has one of the largest post season fields.
The NFL has 14 teams out of 32
The NBA has 16 out of 30 (ignoring the play-in)
The MLB has 12 out of 30.

Adding more teams isn't the issue. The NHL is even artificially increasing parity by having the a win and an OT win generating the same amount of points.
If the NHL went to a 3-2-1 structure, the gap between 1 and 32 would increase significantly.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The NHL has one of the largest post season fields.
The NFL has 14 teams out of 32
The NBA has 16 out of 30 (ignoring the play-in)
The MLB has 12 out of 30.

Adding more teams isn't the issue. The NHL is even artificially increasing parity by having the a win and an OT win generating the same amount of points.
If the NHL went to a 3-2-1 structure, the gap between 1 and 32 would increase significantly.
Mlb's playoff format is a joke, teams can be out a 1/4 of the way into the season. Can't even watch that sport.

Regarding the point structure, we're like top 5 in the league in loser points, where would we actually be in the standings if those were pointless losses i wonder.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hey fellas,

Can we refrain from the personal stuff. Poking fun is one thing but sometimes that line is crossed or is misread and it upsets another member. I appreciate it.

Thanks

Leo

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Mlb's playoff format is a joke, teams can be out a 1/4 of the way into the season. Can't even watch that sport.

Regarding the point structure, we're like top 5 in the league in loser points, where would we actually be in the standings if those were pointless losses i wonder.
12 teams in the league have double digit amounts of loser points. You would also have to figure out how many teams got wins in OT and SO if you are looking at loser points. Bottom line is they would still be in the playoffs by a wide margin.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
12 teams in the league have double digit amounts of loser points. You would also have to figure out how many teams got wins in OT and SO if you are looking at loser points. Bottom line is they would still be in the playoffs by a wide margin.
Maybe, maybe not, would depend on who we got those loser points against i guess and who others in our division did as well. Thats way too big of a rabbit hole for me to dive down.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
I promise I don't just ignore the good games. I'm in the DR with my GF for a month and she'd rather watch other things than hockey, lol.
1A74524C-1D55-4773-864B-679EDBE045D6.jpeg

Get a girl who’s obsessed with the game and you can argue about other things instead….

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's not the worst of it. When I DO watch the Rangers she actively roots against them and cheers when they give up a goal. We got into an argument after the Carolina loss when she cheered the game winning goal for Carolina.

You should take her to a game. Buy her a jersey, go to a nice restaurant before the game, make it a nice evening. Nothing like going to a hockey game , teach her the game , and what players to watch.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Glad to see Mikkola get one before the end of the year. Actually thought about that in one of the recent blowouts...why not put him on the PP just to blast away from the point. He's really played well since joining the team and I really wish there was a way we could keep him and Tarasenko and the kids.

Kane and Tarasenko need to flip on the PP. It's ridiculous how much better the top unit looks with Tarasenko as a shooting threat on it vs. Kane where the puck is just passed around the perimeter for 2 minutes.

Igor was good when he had to be last night.

Things I'd like to see the rest of the way:
-Zibanejad get 2 more goals and 2 more assists to set career bests in all categories
-Panarin get to 90 points
-Fox get his 60th assist
-Tarasenko score twice to get to 20
-Lafreniere and Kakko to get at least another point so they can both finish with 40+
-The home run would be if Igor could somehow bury an ENG in here somehwere.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You should take her to a game. Buy her a jersey, go to a nice restaurant before the game, make it a nice evening. Nothing like going to a hockey game , teach her the game , and what players to watch.

We're long distance she lives in the DR. When she gets a tourist visa and comes I'll take her.

Reactions: Leonardo87

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
We must have the best 4th line in the league right now. All 3 of those guys can plug in to the top 6 if needed and actually would produce.

Also that was the most assertive I've seen Kane play yet. Maybe he's turning a corner. Would love it if he's simply saving his best for the playoffs.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
That's not the worst of it. When I DO watch the Rangers she actively roots against them and cheers when they give up a goal. We got into an argument after the Carolina loss when she cheered the game winning goal for Carolina.

I feel your pain.

One of the first dates I took my wife on (32 years married) was when Patrick laid out LaFontaine in the POs in 90

Thought she was hooked......nope.

She hates the game and also roots against the Rangers going so far as to put the malocchio on them.

But, we've been together 33 years, married 32.

It can still work.

Good luck.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We must have the best 4th line in the league right now. All 3 of those guys can plug in to the top 6 if needed and actually would produce.

Also that was the most assertive I've seen Kane play yet. Maybe he's turning a corner. Would love it if he's simply saving his best for the playoffs.
Have to imagine a couple of days of rest here and there will be huge for kane.
He may have also gotten a pain injection for the hip and needed a few days rest.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Well it would still be earned, 12 teams would still miss. Having teams starting to tank well before the deadline has watered the league down and created an unequal balance to the schedule. If you play a team at the start of the year a couple times they might be hard games but if things go south and they start tanking in January then someone competing with you for standings gets to play them 2 times after they started tanking it's a totally different team they are playing. If the 23rd team is still trying to get into the 20th spot they'll be less likely to sell off at the deadline.
Nah. I like it that only 16 teams make it. Having more in would be overkill. There are 2 games left in the season and there are still about 20 teams that are either in the playoffs or still with a mathematical chance to get in. There is a lot of parity in this league but there will always be bad teams who have no shot just like in every league.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
I was expecting you to look more like a goon.
Ha ha ha! I used to skate when I was MUCH younger and had a bit of a reputation as a brawler. Now I run a booster club for an amateur team and have season reserved seats in Row I of our local rink - one of the coaches recognised me from our playing days and called out between periods “Hey - do you folks know you’re sitting next to a goon?”
The rest is history - and my wife tries her best to make me look/dress/act according to my age…..

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Ha ha ha! I used to skate when I was MUCH younger and had a bit of a reputation as a brawler. Now I run a booster club for an amateur team and have season reserved seats in Row I of our local rink - one of the coaches recognised me from our playing days and called out between periods “Hey - do you folks know you’re sitting next to a goon?”
The rest is history - and my wife tries her best to make me look/dress/act according to my age…..
The Mrs. definitely brings you up a notch.

Where else are you heading on your trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad