Post-Game Talk: Oh well at least...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
its concerning because of how poorly they played and how poorly they have played ever since the west coast trip

when you add in how well both boston and ottawa have been lately, if one is honest they should be concerned.

something needs to be done and it needs to be done by the team starting with the core leadership group

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
That's every team in the league though. It's hard to be consistent when nearly every team is on an even playing field.

We were promised parity by Mr. Bettman! I suppose he has delivered.

Anyway Das Kaiser was on point with that last post as well--- occasionally I get frustrated with this team because they have shown stretches of greatness, but making rash decisions is not the answer. I hate that I'm saying this because Holland has frustrated me over the past few offseasons, but anything can happen once you're in the playoffs. This team is significantly better than the team from last year, and if we can add another solid defenseman or two we might not be that far off from competing.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
That's every team in the league though. It's hard to be consistent when nearly every team is on an even playing field.

I agree that consistency is inherently difficult in a parity league but to me it's stunning how well we can play and how poorly we can play. The swings are stunning. We looked like cup contenders on our western swing and now we look like buffalo. Hard to figure and only missing link is Helm. Everyone else is playing.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I missed the game, but I don't need a doctorate to tell me that it's time to shake the lines up.

It's about time that E/Smith gets scratched in favor of March (assuming he's close to returning). Babs will never do it because he loves them, but it just has to be done. Also hoping Helm can play tomorrow because he does soooo much for the team. Could be a reason why the PK is doing so poor. We don't have forwards who are willing to box out and block the shots. Helm is one of the best at that.

Get Glenny back on the bottom line, and scratch Joker who has just basically been a spot filler. Cole and Zid have really impressed me. Just wish Zid could work on his discipline.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I guess it took a two goal deficit vs. the Flyers to get Ericsson off the top pair, at least that question was answered!

So Smith was put with Kronwall, but for me that was when this trainwreck slipped off the tracks. They looked unprepared to deal with the pairing. The game totally soured when Kronwall coughed up the puck that 1st minute of the 3rd. He seemed out of sorts that period may be his bell was still ringing or should have stayed out.

We saw Datsyuk's line juggled too. First with Weiss and then Sheahan (I was like hell yeah), that line did have the best energy of the game.

So do you think anything sticks from this shakeup? I think on D Babs returns to his original pairings, Smith would need more time to practice with Kronwall if this was implemented long term. I could see Sheahan staying up on wing for now. They didn't generate any points but it is such a better option than Glendening.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I missed the game, but I don't need a doctorate to tell me that it's time to shake the lines up.

It's about time that E/Smith gets scratched in favor of March (assuming he's close to returning). Babs will never do it because he loves them, but it just has to be done. Also hoping Helm can play tomorrow because he does soooo much for the team. Could be a reason why the PK is doing so poor. We don't have forwards who are willing to box out and block the shots. Helm is one of the best at that.

Get Glenny back on the bottom line, and scratch Joker who has just basically been a spot filler. Cole and Zid have really impressed me. Just wish Zid could work on his discipline.

The PK starting struggling before Helm went out. Though with the PK in a complete free fall the idea of dressing Andersson does absolutely nothing. If that is the reason we are believe he gets to stay then he has to sit down with how poorly it has performed and his total lack of game 5 on 5.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't understand what is going on with our PK. It's almost like we're playing a different strategy than what made it succesful earlier in the season. We're so passive. Look at the first PP goal they scored. Miller's just hanging around in the slot instead of pressuring their players. This is one big issue for this team, it doesn't really matter if we score 1 PP goal per game if we allow 1+ every game as well.

Howard is also back to looking like the passive, bad body-language, unable to control rebounds - Howard that he is at his worst. He needs to find his game. Until then, we can't ride him like we're doing. He should play about 50% of games until he proves he can have 2 good ones in a row.

Until this game slipped away from us (3rd goal was a bit of a backbreaker), I thought we looked a bit better than we have lately though.. Datsyuk's line had good energy, Zetterberg's line was solid as usual, and defense were not quite as atrocious as it's been. It seems like we simply don't have the energy right now to fight back from behind like we have earlier in the season. We gotta start having better 1st periods, can't keep playing from behind and think we can win games consistently like that.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This penalty kill has been a total joke and backbreaker the past couple weeks. Just watched the highlights to this one. I can't even get enjoyment out of blaming Howard today because he really only had a chance on maybe 2 of those.

jerrymac

Oct 24, 2011
GB
Time to avoid HF for a few days. It's funny how far some people shift their opinion of the team after a good or bad stretch of games.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Time to avoid HF for a few days. It's funny how far some people shift their opinion of the team after a good or bad stretch of games.

Well see ya in a few days after the Red Wings BREAK OUT OF THIS FUNK and return to destroying the league, which is what they can do. It sounded nuts at the time but may be Ozzie was right we needed a "shellacking" to rise up in anger. Lets see how the Wings respond to the challenge.

The season rolls on there is great hockey games every night, all 30 teams have potential. The Wings are right in the mix. The emotions are up and down as momentum shifts but better is to relaxr like letting the puck come to you. May be they've been playing above themselves but this team is straight up heart we shouldn't forget that. A championship is the ultimate goal but only destiny controls who the #1 is. Enjoy the show yo.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
All I know, and everybody else, when Howard went down to the injury, we cbimbed to the 1st spot of the conference. Howard comes back, we climbed down to the Wild card spot. It is the fact.
Something is too fishy there.

Luke

Sep 16, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
All I know, and everybody else, when Howard went down to the injury, we cbimbed to the 1st spot of the conference. Howard comes back, we climbed down to the Wild card spot. It is the fact.

I think the team knew they had to step up with their #1 goalie out and a brutal west coast trip coming up and they did. I also think they relaxed after surviving said trip with great numbers and getting their #1 goalie back. They're not playing as hard and Howard is paying for that with some bad numbers. Teams are getting grade-A scoring chances against Howard from all of the most dangerous spots on the ice.

He isn't a top tier goalie (Price/Quick/Lundqvist/Rinne levels) and he can't do everything. Team needs to help out quite a bit more than they have been.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

It's all clearly Howard's fault.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Only Howard can get away with this many bad games around here. Unbelievable. It's obviously not all on him, but he shoulders a good bit of the blame. But hey, majority rules.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Only Howard can get away with this many bad games around here. Unbelievable. It's obviously not all on him, but he shoulders a good bit of the blame. But hey, majority rules.

At least 5 of the 7 goals against yesterday are solely on the shoulders of the defense. Are you kidding? When Mrazek was playing there were people legitimately ready to give him the starting job (despite the fact that he certainly does not look ready to be an NHL starter). On top of that people have been highly, HIGHLY critical of howard all season, especially since he came back from injury.

Besides what's your alternative? Let Mrazek start? Even though technically his numbers are worse than Howie's? Good call.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The wings have cap space to go after a #1 defenseman regardless. The problem is there is almost never a #1 available.

Holland should have traded for Tyler Myers. I think we can all greatly reduce our projections for Ouellet, Marchenko, Sproul and Jensen as none of them are showing signs of becoming anything more than bottom 3 d-men.

I think the team knew they had to step up with their #1 goalie out and a brutal west coast trip coming up and they did. I also think they relaxed after surviving said trip with great numbers and getting their #1 goalie back. They're not playing as hard and Howard is paying for that with some bad numbers. Teams are getting grade-A scoring chances against Howard from all of the most dangerous spots on the ice.

He isn't a top tier goalie (Price/Quick/Lundqvist/Rinne levels) and he can't do everything. Team needs to help out quite a bit more than they have been.

My fear is that if/when Babcock leaves after this season games like yesterday will become the norm. Having the best coach in the world helps to cover up a bunch of things that aren't quite up to par.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Holland should have traded for Tyler Myers. I think we can all greatly reduce our projections for Ouellet, Marchenko, Sproul and Jensen as none of them are showing signs of becoming anything more than bottom 3 d-men.

Weren't you calling for Sproul to be on the team at the beginning of last year because he was supposed to be the next big thing?

And frankly, I think you're wrong on both Ouellet and Marchenko.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013

My fear is that if/when Babcock leaves after this season games like yesterday will become the norm. Having the best coach in the world helps to cover up a bunch of things that aren't quite up to par.

I think it's too early to say that none of those guys will be reliable top 4 guys. There's a shot one of them can actually be a top 2 guy. Although I do think Myers would be a good addition I'm not sure I'd have been comfortable with the price we would have had to pay.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Myers has done pretty done well in Winnipeg, though. Nine points in three games, a plus 3. Bogosian seems to have taken to a change of scenery, too.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think it's too early to say that none of those guys will be reliable top 4 guys. There's a shot one of them can actually be a top 2 guy. Although I do think Myers would be a good addition I'm not sure I'd have been comfortable with the price we would have had to pay.

They've done nothing from a development standpoint to make you believe they can take that next step. With Sproul I was most impressed with his rapid development in the OHL. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Conversely, when you see Mrazek you see a guy who has developed very rapidly to the point where he could easily be a top goaltender in the NHL.

A lot guys stagnate at the AHL level. With Myers you'd have a guy who was the best rookie in the league, addresses your two biggest needs by far, and who still has room to continue to develop into a top 30 NHL d-man.

All reports suggest we were negotiating and couldn't seal the deal. That's another miss for Holland. I give him full credit for Zidlicky though, I was wrong about the impact #28 would have. He's been everything you could ask for, but he's not a #1 d-man.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
They've done nothing from a development standpoint to make you believe they can take that next step. With Sproul I was most impressed with his rapid development in the OHL. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Conversely, when you see Mrazek you see a guy who has developed very rapidly to the point where he could easily be a top goaltender in the NHL.

A lot guys stagnate at the AHL level. With Myers you'd have a guy who was the best rookie in the league, addresses your two biggest needs by far, and who still has room to continue to develop into a top 30 NHL d-man.

All reports suggest we were negotiating and couldn't seal the deal. That's another miss for Holland. I give him full credit for Zidlicky though, I was wrong about the impact #28 would have. He's been everything you could ask for, but he's not a #1 d-man.

And sometime players games don't translate in the AHL as well as they do in the NHL, Sheahan is the obvious example here.

Obviously it's slightly different for defenseman, but it's far too early for us to completely write Sproul off given his one game of NHL experience. I'd say both Oullete and Marchenko look more than capable of playing the second pairing as well.

I do agree that Myers would probably have done relatively well here, and it's kind of a bummer we missed out on him but we would have had to pay a premium to get him, amd that meant likely losing one of tatar/nyquist. Winnipeg is looking smart now but it was no guarantee that Myers was or is going to perform at a high level. Although he is arguably better than anyone on our defense not named krOnwall.

And yeah I agree Zidlicky was a great move. Love both the Cole and zid trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad