Post-Game Talk: Oh That Elusive 3rd Road Win a Calender year...So Close (3-2 Caps SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We'll just agree to disagree then. Because I don't think its a big deal to put rielly on the powerplay, I think it benefits him to have experience in that as he'll only get better the more he plays on it.

Of course I want rielly to focus more on defense and hone his skills as we're not in a playoff push so there's no need to put him where he's not really needed. But I just don't see how he can't do both at the same time.

Maybe starting like that was okay, but I think rielly should get rewarded atleast one pp opportunity every once in a while because he has worked on his defense and he has been arguably our best or second best player. But obviously coach knows better. I'm just saying, as a fan, I want to see him in an area he is great in since it sucks right now, and I don't see how putting him in a position to up his stats and those of the team (and in turn the confidence of the team) deters him from focusing on defense. He can multi task, similar to how kadri was asked by shanahan to focus more on his two way game. He's done that and he still focuses on his offense and thats his specialty. I want rielly to be good in both ends, so imo he should work on his defense while exercising and improving his offensive skills at the same time

But again -
A: Rielly has. we know he 's been good on the powerplay.
B: it's.... what? game 13? and Rielly had a PP moment. so there go. he got a "reward".

but again.
if it was good enough for Keith not to have PP time for five years, i think someone told me. - I think Rielly can handle not having powerplay time for a season.

this IS Rielly working on his 'two way' game.
again. i just think it's odd that Babcock and Rielly both said that this was exactly what was going to happen before the season started and people keep going "but why?"

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That is a good question. My best guess is that it's done for the benefit of Dion. I have noticed that they're scaling down the difficulty of Phaneuf's minutes compared to what they have been (way less PK time, more PP time, easier ES match ups) and those harder assignments have been transitioned to Rielly. I don't know if this is a trade value thing or if they're trying to help Dion find his game again so they can keep him around for the future or what. But I mean we saw tonight what happens with Rielly on th PP. JVR goal

Dion can't handle 1st pairing mins and shouldn't be on the 1st pp but he's there to pad his stats to up his trade value . There's really no other reason for him on the 1st pp in a 1d 4f pp system where a more mobile smarter Rielly would be a much better option .

not if it comes against what the head coach wants him to focus on

Chicago once upon a time sucked - and they could have tossed Keith out there, but didn't. they worked on what Keith is awesome at now. (AND NOW Keith is the first one over the boards in the PP, PK, Last Minute etc) same with Hedman.

Is there a little bit of politics about it - sure, i'm not going to deny it. but having a good or bad PP in 2015 means NOTHING compared to having a well rounded player for the next 15 years. and if this is the way Babcock wants to do it (and knowing there are clear examples of other defensemen who are amazing and we want Rielly to emulate) then we shouldn't really complain.

[not that I'm saying we should question, and learn more - or we should just accept it with sugar on top - but i mean it makes sense to me - Babcock doesn't want his offensive player to only concentrate on the offense. he wants to push him out of the comfort zone.]. no cookies for him. it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Rielly has played not only better defensively and with tougher match ups this year but he's also rushing the puck and jumping up into the play much more this year than previous seasons . There's nothing stopping Mo from adding 1st pp duties other than Babs wanting to pad DP's stats to up his trade value . Also you can develop both your offensive and defensive game at the same time and Rielly's been doing that this year .

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
not if it comes against what the head coach wants him to focus on

Chicago once upon a time sucked - and they could have tossed Keith out there, but didn't. they worked on what Keith is awesome at now. (AND NOW Keith is the first one over the boards in the PP, PK, Last Minute etc) same with Hedman.

Is there a little bit of politics about it - sure, i'm not going to deny it. but having a good or bad PP in 2015 means NOTHING compared to having a well rounded player for the next 15 years. and if this is the way Babcock wants to do it (and knowing there are clear examples of other defensemen who are amazing and we want Rielly to emulate) then we shouldn't really complain.

[not that I'm saying we should question, and learn more - or we should just accept it with sugar on top - but i mean it makes sense to me - Babcock doesn't want his offensive player to only concentrate on the offense. he wants to push him out of the comfort zone.]. no cookies for him. it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Which is fine so long as you aren't damaging his offensive potential. I'm not going to be happy with a Rielly who is solid defensively but never hits his offensive ceiling.

I'm not sure you get to go both ways with the argument. Don't complain, but you can complain. Which is it?

Throwing Keith out there left and right is fine, but is this actually what they did with him? If so good, but otherwise it doesn't work as an argument for why you don't give the guy PP time. We're hardly drowning in PPs that he can't find time to play on the PK as well. If you want him to be a well rounded player, then why not use him like one?

Let people complain if they want to complain. Being for or against what happens on the ice is meaningless to what happens on the ice.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Great individual player but still needs to win a CUP to be considered a great. Sorry.

Seriously? I'm glad they made a big deal of it when Sundin reached milestones in his career, or broke records, whether it be a Maple Leafs one or a world one.

I see no reason why I should expect any less just because the player is on a different team. Team success is great, and we hear plenty about guys who "did nothing but win", but I think there's still a place in hockey for individual accolades.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
How dare he allow goals against an unmanned Ovechkin and an unmanned Backstrom, two of the elite offensive weapons in the League, while the team was down a player, on cross-ice plays.

Like was mentioned before, maybe Price makes those saves. Maybe. I think you're expecting too much. Reimer was awesome tonight, and not just in spite of those goals.

and I agree with you. I like him, and he plays awesome at times. But.. he hasn't been "clutch" all that often. There's a long list of clutch situations that he folded under, tonight being another one of them. We could easily say it's not his fault, how was he supposed to do this or that or whatever... but how many times have we said that. Eventually it wears off. It was another unfortunate goal to add to the list, which is growing, by his fault or no fault of his own.

I like the guy, and hope the team can move him out to another team where he can get a fresh start and away from media scrutiny. He really deserves it for the hard work he's done. He's put up with a lot here, and being the good man he is he's fought through it all. Sometimes a change of scenery for a player catapults them up to the next level, like Patrick Roy for just one example.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Kadri had the most shots for the leafs, 8 compared to the two

he should start trying to shoot wide instead of on net.

Aside from that, he's lost his scoring touch around the net... not just this game's net drive, but I think 2 times before as well, he releases his shot up close to the goalie where there's no room. If he still had his touch, he'd wait just a split second more for a better angle. He's rushing his chances and has a tunnel vision to the net which is affecting his linemates' production as well as his.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Which is fine so long as you aren't damaging his offensive potential. I'm not going to be happy with a Rielly who is solid defensively but never hits his offensive ceiling.

I'm not sure you get to go both ways with the argument. Don't complain, but you can complain. Which is it?

Throwing Keith out there left and right is fine, but is this actually what they did with him? If so good, but otherwise it doesn't work as an argument for why you don't give the guy PP time. We're hardly drowning in PPs that he can't find time to play on the PK as well. If you want him to be a well rounded player, then why not use him like one?

Let people complain if they want to complain. Being for or against what happens on the ice is meaningless to what happens on the ice.

Exactly. And there are so many offensive defensemen in the league, keith is one example. Can't really say the way one player (especially of keith's calibre) developed is going to work or even is the right way to go about developing rielly.

Rielly's strength is offense, its not wrong if people want him to keep that up and be given every opportunity to exceed in that area as well.

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

I agree that Rielly should be on the PP, but to worry at all about hitting his offensive potential while he sits first on the team with 10 points in 14 games seems like a pretty drastic measure in a not-so-drastic time.

The only thing I can think of for why Babcock would keep him off is that adding the extra minutes would be too much, or would take away from ES or PK time, which I do believe is more valuable for his development right now.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
and I agree with you. I like him, and he plays awesome at times. But.. he hasn't been "clutch" all that often. There's a long list of clutch situations that he folded under, tonight being another one of them. We could easily say it's not his fault, how was he supposed to do this or that or whatever... but how many times have we said that. Eventually it wears off. It was another unfortunate goal to add to the list, which is growing, by his fault or no fault of his own.

I like the guy, and hope the team can move him out to another team where he can get a fresh start and away from media scrutiny. He really deserves it for the hard work he's done. He's put up with a lot here, and being the good man he is he's fought through it all. Sometimes a change of scenery for a player catapults them up to the next level, like Patrick Roy for just one example.

WTF are you babbling about ?

no one's saying he's become a superstar after few good games , people are just saying he's played well and it's ridiculous that you're trying to blame the tying goal on him

also we have 2 option at the moment

go with Bernier who's been brutal and has failed repeatedly when the teams done everthing to hand him the starters job

or

go with Reims and see if he can pick up where he left off when he was a starter

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

I think he's shown quite a few clutch performances this season. As I said before, if you're growing tired of talking about the who, what, when, where, whys about the goals he allows, then I think perhaps your expectations are just a little too high for a goalie who is good-not-great. Until we get a Price, Lundqvist, or Rinne, you need to get used to those kinds of plays, because virtually everyone in the League allows those.

As for a fresh start, I get the feeling he's treating Bernier's injury as just that. He's looked good since then.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Dion can't handle 1st pairing mins and shouldn't be on the 1st pp but he's there to pad his stats to up his trade value . There's really no other reason for him on the 1st pp in a 1d 4f pp system where a more mobile smarter Rielly would be a much better option .

I agree that Dion looks much better with 2nd pairing minutes, but I have no problem with Dion being on the 1st PP unit. He's produced well there, and would be producing even better if his teammates on that unit were actual 1st line forwards.

It's not as exciting to watch him there, because there's an expectation that he'll be gone when the Leafs are competitive. I do think that, for all his weaknesses, he's a great PP defenseman. There are lots of teams in the NHL, even competitive ones, where he'd be on their 1st PP unit.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I agree that Dion looks much better with 2nd pairing minutes, but I have no problem with Dion being on the 1st PP unit. He's produced well there, and would be producing even better if his teammates on that unit were actual 1st line forwards.

It's not as exciting to watch him there, because there's an expectation that he'll be gone when the Leafs are competitive. I do think that, for all his weaknesses, he's a great PP defenseman. There are lots of teams in the NHL, even competitive ones, where he'd be on their 1st PP unit.
Dion is shooting more too which I like. And his shots are reaching the net which creates a few opportunities in front of the net which is an improvement from last year.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think we all need to take a deep breath

It is human nature to focus on the negative and I think a lot of people are focusing on the negative.

This loss is tough, however, the Leafs played very well and that is something that you can say for most games. Toronto is competitive and each loss was not a easy win for the other team.

Unlike last year were Toronto was getting wins they didn't deserve, this year they are losing when they should be winning. Season is still so young and while I don't think they will make the playoffs (however it won't be the biggest surprise if they are in the thick of it at the end of the year) the Leafs are not a bottom feeding team.

IMHO I've enjoyed watching the Leafs this year.

Also if you haven't try catching a Marlie game. Reddit Leafs community always has a game day thread with all the information you need to catch the game. It really puts everything in perspective and what this year is all about.

https://www.reddit.com/r/leafs

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

Like I said
Babcock said flat out at the beginning of the season that he wasn't going to let Rielly play a lot of powerplay minutes.

Rielly said right at the beginning that they talked and said they were going to use him to concentrate more on the defensive side of the puck, and not concentrate too much on the powerplays. Then they both explained why. And Rielly isn't hurting for points from it. (AND he got powerplay time tonight, acknowledging the "good job kid., here some PP time."

according to what I was told - Keith did not play on the powerplay for the first few years when he was in the league, concentrating more on the defensive side of the puck. (I want to say 5th year). Hedman was the same (not 5th - but his 3rd year i think). So I'm not just 'throwing it out there' it's fact. (and if I'm wrong and mis-read wrong, then I'll admit it)

I didn't say "don't complain." or this is me NOT wanting people to complain. But I do think you can question and argue both sides of something with out you keep saying as "complaining." but whatever. it doesn't matter

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
James Reimer is top 10 in adjusted save percent excluding goalies without at least 5 games played, 94.05%. He has earned the right to run with it and anyone crapping on the guy needs to watch more NHL games besides the Leafs because he is playing pretty good at the moment and if you saw other goalies you'd see how many goals he is preventing that others let in.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Rielly is developing. A big part of that is going out there, doing things, getting feedback and trying to consciously changing your game to do better. By limiting the PP he gets to focus on the things he needs to be better at consistently without adding a ton of distractions by putting scoring demands and PP time on top of that.

With his vision and skills, he will be good offensively and on the PP. That part comes natural to him. Allowing him to focus mainly on the things that doesn't come natural isn't exactly an outlandish idea.

I mean, everybody is quick to attribute this as a breakout year and talk about how great he looks. Perhaps that's not completely unrelated to the biggest change for him personally from last year?

James Reimer is top 10 in adjusted save percent excluding goalies without at least 5 games played, 94.05%. He has earned the right to run with it and anyone crapping on the guy needs to watch more NHL games besides the Leafs because he is playing pretty good at the moment and if you saw other goalies you'd see how many goals he is preventing that others let in.

Indeed. People say "but what about the goals he let in", but if he did save those too then he'd be challenging Price.

I don't know what it is with this fanbase, but anything else than perfection from our goalies always brings criticism. And even a mediocre performance causes a verbal riot.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Rielly is developing. A big part of that is going out there, doing things, getting feedback and trying to consciously changing your game to do better. By limiting the PP he gets to focus on the things he needs to be better at consistently without adding a ton of distractions by putting scoring demands and PP time on top of that.

With his vision and skills, he will be good offensively and on the PP. That part comes natural to him. Allowing him to focus mainly on the things that doesn't come natural isn't exactly an outlandish idea.

I mean, everybody is quick to attribute this as a breakout year and talk about how great he looks. Perhaps that's not completely unrelated to the biggest change for him personally from last year?

that's what i am thinking . but :dunno:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 3-2 shootout loss to Washington on Saturday night.

[NHL]868648[/NHL]

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
both goalies are here to bridge the gap. Bernier was brought in with higher hopes but it looks like he's been re-assigned to "bridge the gap" status and could be moved out when necessary. Reimer was always hopeful, but looks to be in the same boat: he's here until they find a replacement. This season should be the one where the team finally makes some goaltending moves

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Reimer was good tonight. Didn't have much of a chance on the two goals against and kept the erratic play to a minimum. Nice, tidy game for Reimer

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
are you guys seriously upset about losing in OT, I'm upset we got the extra point!

Look at this goddamn roster! Reilly is the only salvageable thing within it, we need to keep picking top 5 for at least the next year in order to get either Matthews or Chychrun...what is the point of picking up useless wins and eke out of a good draft spot?

This is the way it is done in today's NHL, you tank and you grab top end talent, Chicago/Pittsburgh can attest to it, Edmonton would be right there too if they didn't ruin every single top draft pick.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
with rielly, dion, gardiner, and hunwick at the top 4...our defense has looked pretty good the last few games with reimer in net...our D doesnt even look too bad

good thing our forwards are horrible

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
are you guys seriously upset about losing in OT, I'm upset we got the extra point!

Look at this goddamn roster! Reilly is the only salvageable thing within it, we need to keep picking top 5 for at least the next year in order to get either Matthews or Chychrun...what is the point of picking up useless wins and eke out of a good draft spot?

This is the way it is done in today's NHL, you tank and you grab top end talent, Chicago/Pittsburgh can attest to it, Edmonton would be right there too if they didn't ruin every single top draft pick.

Post like this just make me laugh, good job on repeating the mission statement. We all know what's going on but this is the game thread, not the Leafs of 69 years thread.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
I don't mind it
it just drives me nuts that they call him Great 8 (I get that's his nickname). just all him Ovechkin. (it irks me when they call Crosby, Sid too).

Ovehkin deserves a lot of the talking points. and I thought they were fair on both sides of the team. I just hated the nickname-age.

At our house he is known as the OverChicken. But that is due to my non native English speaking wife watching hockey without me.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
The fact that 2 d-men our leading the team in scoring just shows how abysmal our forwards have been. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad