Post-Game Talk: Oh That Elusive 3rd Road Win a Calender year...So Close (3-2 Caps SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Not good enough to take this Leaf lineup anywhere! I'm a little disappointed. I thought we'd be better with Babcock behind the bench. We're no better than with Wilson or Carlyle.

Youre entitled to your opinion but what an idiotic post. Babcock has a talentless team plyaing well in virtually every game because of his structure and you'd think we'd be better? Like he can make chicken salad out of chicken feathers dude.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
for the life of me, i am not getting this request

Babcock says he wants Rielly to hone his defensive game and not just be good on the offensive side on the puck. some of the best defensemen right now (Hedman + Keith) barely got PP time the first few years in the league.

it's not like Rielly won't ever have PP time (i mean he was on it tonight). but isn't the point having the best, well rounded player possible? we know he'l be good on the PP - let him focus on the other stuff.
Yes it is, but I don't see how putting him on the pp makes it harder for him to develop as a better defensive player. He has been better defensively, being on the pp wouldn't deter him from that...

And bottom line, our powerplay sucks as it is with the whole 4 forwards 1 dman structure, so all I'm saying is if you want the powerplay to be better, you better put a better player on it and that means rielly.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
That's probably true but you have to admit that was a solid game by Reims. Washington has a lot of weapons and had a number of good scoring chances. But, Reimer made some really move saves. Give credit when it's due, eh?

Oh I am not denying Reimer was great at all. If you look at my first post I called them the best players in the game along with Rielly. I am loving it and posted stats he has around .936 percentage I believe so. He definitely deserves a better outcome for sure..

That is a good question. My best guess is that it's done for the benefit of Dion. I have noticed that they're scaling down the difficulty of Phaneuf's minutes compared to what they have been (way less PK time, more PP time, easier ES match ups) and those harder assignments have been transitioned to Rielly. I don't know if this is a trade value thing or if they're trying to help Dion find his game again so they can keep him around for the future or what. But I mean we saw tonight what happens with Rielly on th PP. JVR goal

Before the season began I am pretty sure the leafs wanted to cut down on Dion's time to improve his effectiveness and it has worked although his skating still remains to be an issue. However it still doens't explain why rielly's lack of being in the powerplay. I mean I saw him in it today but it's still a bit odd for sure. I am wondering if they are just like we don't need you to be fancy but the best defensemen out there approach so they are drilling him with defense, since they kind of expect the offence to be present regardless? As they say you can teach defense but can't teach skill?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I think it's remarkable Babcock has gotten two wins out of this group. Team is much easier to cheer for this year though. Don't feel like they've cheated effort wise. Just not very good

I agree, they're far easier to cheer for this year. They work harder now under Babcock. That's why I thought we would have a few more wins than just 2 at the moment.

As the season progresses, maybe the losses like tonight become wins.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You mean the open net play where he got a piece of it as his mates were completely out to lunch?

Yes, Price might have had that.

Here's the issue.

Perhaps I'm asking for a lot, but kill the play and hold on to it. He showed enough athleticism to get there for the first save then it just trickles through.

The timing of the goal is also what's annoying with just a second left as well.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Youre entitled to your opinion but what an idiotic post. Babcock has a talentless team plyaing well in virtually every game because of his structure and you'd think we'd be better? Like he can make chicken salad out of chicken feathers dude.

I simply thought we'd have a few more wins with Babcock, despite the lack of talent. Just too optimistic on my part, I guess. Sorry.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
On reimer: Stephen Burtch ‏@SteveBurtch 1m1 minute ago
Reimer allowed 2 goals on 30 shots tonight... he's allowed 8 goals on 125 shots over his last 4 gp 1-1-2 (.936 SV%)... he's been good.

Isn't the narrative that with better goaltending, our "possession based system" will lead us to glory?

Interesting to note that if they had held on for the win, 2 of the 3 Ws would have been earned while outshot.

While goaltending is extremely important, seems to me like the bigger challenge is conversion. And it will take an upgrade in talent to overcome that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yes it is, but I don't see how putting him on the pp makes it harder for him to develop as a better defensive player. He has been better defensively, being on the pp wouldn't deter him from that...

And bottom line, our powerplay sucks as it is with the whole 4 forwards 1 dman structure, so all I'm saying is if you want the powerplay to be better, you better put a better player on it and that means rielly.

not if it comes against what the head coach wants him to focus on

Chicago once upon a time sucked - and they could have tossed Keith out there, but didn't. they worked on what Keith is awesome at now. (AND NOW Keith is the first one over the boards in the PP, PK, Last Minute etc) same with Hedman.

Is there a little bit of politics about it - sure, i'm not going to deny it. but having a good or bad PP in 2015 means NOTHING compared to having a well rounded player for the next 15 years. and if this is the way Babcock wants to do it (and knowing there are clear examples of other defensemen who are amazing and we want Rielly to emulate) then we shouldn't really complain.

[not that I'm saying we should question, and learn more - or we should just accept it with sugar on top - but i mean it makes sense to me - Babcock doesn't want his offensive player to only concentrate on the offense. he wants to push him out of the comfort zone.]. no cookies for him. it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
When the talent comes (Nylander, Marner, 2016 1st, etc.) this team will be good.

It's nice to have a system in place
Once Babcock's systems are ingrained to the point of being automatic and we get an injection of high-end offensive skill into the lineup, this team could be very good. Like, scary good. We have virtually nothing now other than a small handful of good young players, a couple of good role players and we've already looked borderline dominant at times in the neutral zone and at even strength.

Of course a lot will have to go right for us as far as prospects panning out, but there's the potential for something pretty special here, and that's a lot more than I've been able to say for the Leafs in over 20 years.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't really understand everyone being so baffled about the Ovechkin love-fest. Dude poised to tie the all-time Russian lead in goals scored, succeeds, and almost broke the record on a number of occasions. At the age of 30, the same weekend that the previous record-holder is being inducted into the HHOF. It's pretty remarkable, and a great story. I imagine any game where Gretzky was set to tie or break a record it went the same way. He's one of the most exhilarating players in the game, and it's way easier to sell excitement around him than it is with this year's Leaf team (and that's not even meant to be a knock on the Leafs, I love them this year).

It makes complete sense to me that they would take advantage of an opportunity like this.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Once Babcock's systems are ingrained to the point of being automatic and we get an injection of high-end offensive skill into the lineup, this team could be very good. Like, scary good. We have virtually nothing now other than a small handful of good young players, a couple of good role players and we've already looked borderline dominant at times in the neutral zone and at even strength.

exactly
it's going to be awesome.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I don't really understand everyone being so baffled about the Ovechkin love-fest. Dude poised to tie the all-time Russian lead in goals scored, succeeds, and almost broke the record on a number of occasions. At the age of 30, the same weekend that the previous record-holder is being inducted into the HHOF. It's pretty remarkable, and a great story. I imagine any game where Gretzky was set to tie or break a record it went the same way. He's one of the most exhilarating players in the game, and it's way easier to sell excitement around him than it is with this year's Leaf team (and that's not even meant to be a knock on the Leafs, I love them this year).

It makes complete sense to me that they would take advantage of an opportunity like this.

I don't mind it
it just drives me nuts that they call him Great 8 (I get that's his nickname). just all him Ovechkin. (it irks me when they call Crosby, Sid too).

Ovehkin deserves a lot of the talking points. and I thought they were fair on both sides of the team. I just hated the nickname-age.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Oh I am not denying Reimer was great at all. If you look at my first post I called them the best players in the game along with Rielly. I am loving it and posted stats he has around .936 percentage I believe so. He definitely deserves a better outcome for sure..

Before the season began I am pretty sure the leafs wanted to cut down on Dion's time to improve his effectiveness and it has worked although his skating still remains to be an issue. However it still doens't explain why rielly's lack of being in the powerplay. I mean I saw him in it today but it's still a bit odd for sure. I am wondering if they are just like we don't need you to be fancy but the best defensemen out there approach so they are drilling him with defense, since they kind of expect the offence to be present regardless? As they say you can teach defense but can't teach skill?

Yeah I've noticed that too. I wonder if Dion ever gets work in with Barb Underhill or not. I don't know about you but I thought he'd get some of that speed and some agility back if his minutes were scaled back but it's not quite where I hoped. For Rielly it could be that they really want him to be the pillar on defence as quick as possible. And they're turning him into a workhorse. It's true about the skill vs defence thing, but I think that's (the PP I mean) another place he can develop further you know? They should keep him out there more often

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
not if it comes against what the head coach wants him to focus on

Chicago once upon a time sucked - and they could have tossed Keith out there, but didn't. they worked on what Keith is awesome at now. (AND NOW Keith is the first one over the boards in the PP, PK, Last Minute etc) same with Hedman.

Is there a little bit of politics about it - sure, i'm not going to deny it. but having a good or bad PP in 2015 means NOTHING compared to having a well rounded player for the next 15 years. and if this is the way Babcock wants to do it (and knowing there are clear examples of other defensemen who are amazing and we want Rielly to emulate) then we shouldn't really complain.

[not that I'm saying we should question, and learn more - or we should just accept it with sugar on top - but i mean it makes sense to me - Babcock doesn't want his offensive player to only concentrate on the offense. he wants to push him out of the comfort zone.]. no cookies for him. it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

We'll just agree to disagree then. Because I don't think its a big deal to put rielly on the powerplay, I think it benefits him to have experience in that as he'll only get better the more he plays on it.

Of course I want rielly to focus more on defense and hone his skills as we're not in a playoff push so there's no need to put him where he's not really needed. But I just don't see how he can't do both at the same time.

Maybe starting like that was okay, but I think rielly should get rewarded atleast one pp opportunity every once in a while because he has worked on his defense and he has been arguably our best or second best player. But obviously coach knows better. I'm just saying, as a fan, I want to see him in an area he is great in since it sucks right now, and I don't see how putting him in a position to up his stats and those of the team (and in turn the confidence of the team) deters him from focusing on defense. He can multi task, similar to how kadri was asked by shanahan to focus more on his two way game. He's done that and he still focuses on his offense and thats his specialty. I want rielly to be good in both ends, so imo he should work on his defense while exercising and improving his offensive skills at the same time

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't mind it
it just drives me nuts that they call him Great 8 (I get that's his nickname). just all him Ovechkin. (it irks me when they call Crosby, Sid too).

Ovehkin deserves a lot of the talking points. and I thought they were fair on both sides of the team. I just hated the nickname-age.

Yep, I think that's fair. Felt the same way from time to time too.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I was told this team would be better without Kessel. That he was responsible for everything bad that happened to this team. Maybe not eh?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
On reimer: Stephen Burtch ‏@SteveBurtch 1m1 minute ago
Reimer allowed 2 goals on 30 shots tonight... he's allowed 8 goals on 125 shots over his last 4 gp 1-1-2 (.936 SV%)... he's been good.

but the problem with Reimer has always been the timing and type of goals allowed. He can play really well in every outing, that's never been the problem.

No doubt he can be a great goalie.

But the problem is always the time or type of the goal, and the circumstances surrounding it. Maybe it was a softie, or maybe it was with .08 seconds left in the period, or maybe he allowed 3 goals in the last 11 minutes, etc etc. There's a laundry list of these types of goals that he allows and that's always been the issue.

If you play awesome for 56 minutes but then blow it in the last 4, then that's never good enough. Great effort, but this is pro sports and if you continually fold under stress or under important times of the game... it's just never going to go over well.

.8 seconds left. Just make the save. How many times has this happened to the guy. Great guy, perfect character.. just a nice, nice guy. but man is he ever snakebitten under stressful situations during so, so many games tonight and in the past.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Isn't the narrative that with better goaltending, our "possession based system" will lead us to glory?

Interesting to note that if they had held on for the win, 2 of the 3 Ws would have been earned while outshot.

While goaltending is extremely important, seems to me like the bigger challenge is conversion. And it will take an upgrade in talent to overcome that.

Better goaltending almost resulted in two wins against teams that should have steam rolled the leafs. Excellent goaltending gives us four points.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com

Great individual player but still needs to win a CUP to be considered a great. Sorry.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I was told this team would be better without Kessel. That he was responsible for everything bad that happened to this team. Maybe not eh?

While this is the best hockey I've seen the leafs play in years, it has more to do with Babcock than Kessel being gone.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
but the problem with Reimer has always been the timing and type of goals allowed. He can play really well in every outing, that's never been the problem.

No doubt he can be a great goalie.

But the problem is always the time or type of the goal, and the circumstances surrounding it. Maybe it was a softie, or maybe it was with .08 seconds left in the period, or maybe he allowed 3 goals in the last 11 minutes, etc etc. There's a laundry list of these types of goals that he allows and that's always been the issue.

How dare he allow goals against an unmanned Ovechkin and an unmanned Backstrom, two of the elite offensive weapons in the League, while the team was down a player, on cross-ice plays.

Like was mentioned before, maybe Price makes those saves. Maybe. I think you're expecting too much. Reimer was awesome tonight, and not just in spite of those goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad