Low Effort GDT Oh hey look the Ottawa Senators are playing! OTT vs. NYI 7:30 PM on TSN

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The more losses the better.
Give me a guaranteed top-4 pick.
Wonder if our 1st round pick gets moved in a trade for Fiala.

Also, need to wonder if protection on this year's pick might backfire given the talent available in the 2023-24 draft. Yes, I know we should be better next year, but we've been saying that for several years now.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I recorded the game but didn’t watch it

WHAT DID I MISS? WAS IT FUN?

My excuse is that with the spring arriving, I’m getting pretty busy

watching the snow melt prolly more fun than watching last nights game

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Hammond was scrambly in the crease, second effort was amazing, but never looked in control,

Condon I thought looked better, he was pretty efficient in the crease, apparently some injury issues kind of derailed his career, but he never really looked as in control as Forsberg. Neither him or Hammond looked like a starter in my mind, but Condon I though was going to be an adequate backup.

Forsberg seems to track the play/puck well, has the size to be a shot blocker, and seems to come up big on reaction saves quite often, it's a tiny sample, but he's looked really good in it. We'll see how it goes, confidence plays a huge role in goaltending, so I never like to judge a guy when things are going their way, I prefer to judge them on how they bounce back after poor outings or goals.

edit: My biggest issue with this deal is what it means for Gustavsson, but I don't think he's ready to be a backup quite yet (hasn't been helped by bouncing around due to Murray's health). Going to suck if we lose him to waivers next year, but we needed to sign Forsberg given Murray's health history. Personally, I'm in the buy out Murray camp at this point, can't be relying on a guy that spends as much time on the IR as in the crease.
Good point on Condon... hip troubles if I am not mistaken. Or something that sounded degenerative. He did feel like he would be an adequate backup after that first year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tonight's lineup, you're probably right. But a fully healthy lineup -- with Chabot, Batherson, Brady, Timmy, Norris, Pinto. Formenton and adding Sanderson and other high picks -- is rich in young talent. After this horrid season, the trick will be attracting quality veterans to add to the mix. Management has missed that boat two years in a row.
Be a shame to waste all of that without actually building something around them to compete.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Also, need to wonder if protection on this year's pick might backfire given the talent available in the 2023-24 draft. Yes, I know we should be better next year, but we've been saying that for several years now.
Anything top 5 and beyond I would move that 1st rounder for Fiala signed + cap going back to Minny

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hammond was scrambly in the crease, second effort was amazing, but never looked in control,

Condon I thought looked better, he was pretty efficient in the crease, apparently some injury issues kind of derailed his career, but he never really looked as in control as Forsberg. Neither him or Hammond looked like a starter in my mind, but Condon I though was going to be an adequate backup.

Forsberg seems to track the play/puck well, has the size to be a shot blocker, and seems to come up big on reaction saves quite often, it's a tiny sample, but he's looked really good in it. We'll see how it goes, confidence plays a huge role in goaltending, so I never like to judge a guy when things are going their way, I prefer to judge them on how they bounce back after poor outings or goals.

edit: My biggest issue with this deal is what it means for Gustavsson, but I don't think he's ready to be a backup quite yet (hasn't been helped by bouncing around due to Murray's health). Going to suck if we lose him to waivers next year, but we needed to sign Forsberg given Murray's health history. Personally, I'm in the buy out Murray camp at this point, can't be relying on a guy that spends as much time on the IR as in the crease.
Just like any other prospect trying to crack an NHL lineup.. the need timing has to match the readiness timing. Gus has had opportunity and he will continue to get opportunity. And just like any other prospect you have to perform when given the opportunity. I would have liked to see Gus get more games at either level .. I hope now that they have Forsberg under contract that they play Gus more than half the games to get him the reps and get a good read on where he is at and hopefully he can be really hot for some of them.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Anything top 5 and beyond I would move that 1st rounder for Fiala signed + cap going back to Minny
Don’t think they want cap going back, as that’s why they have to dump him, in cap trouble next year, with 12-13 million in buyout cap hit.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Ya, that's another possibility or strategy as well, although the Wild have cap woes I hear.

I guess I'm just curious what Dorion's strategy will be given the news that he's hot after Fiala. I'm not sure what will happen next season, but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't pick in the top 10 (maybe 12) again in the 2023 draft.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Promising first game from Joseph. Didn't show much in terms of creating offense but lot's to like about his game. He has a lot of speed put more importantly he played quick too. Puck was on and off his stick quickly in transition and that really opened the ice even against a team that can smother you in transition. He was probably our best player in terms of zone entries on the PP as well, was able to make a play onto a teammates stick once he got the zone. If he can play that way every night it will be a great add, we will have to see what level of consistency he can bring.

Thought Stutzle had a good game. Seemed like he always had the puck on his stick and had no trouble navigating through NYI's NZ trap. Not a lot of came from his possession but the fact he was able to slice through the Islanders the way he did speaks volumes. Seemed like the islanders were targeting him a quite a bit too, he never backed down from them physically.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I also liked MJs first game, sounds like he was really liked in Tampa, and a fun guy in the room.
MDZ played a good game as well.

On the first goal, not sure what Branny was doing, he was on the right side of the goalie, skated past Holden on the left side, and chased a guy out past the top of the circles. Like he was playing man on man, and everyone else was playing zone. Next thing you know, puck is in the net, and Branny is out toward the point.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
On the first goal, not sure what Branny was doing, he was on the right side of the goalie, skated past Holden on the left side, and chased a guy out past the top of the circles. Like he was playing man on man, and everyone else was playing zone. Next thing you know, puck is in the net, and Branny is out toward the point.

He played it fine, defensemen will follow the puck carrier up the wall. Breakdown happens between Watson and Ennis. Not sure Watson recognized Mayfield coming through the slot bit of a bad bounce too.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He played it fine, defensemen will follow the puck carrier up the wall. Breakdown happens between Watson and Ennis. Not sure Watson recognized Mayfield coming through the slot bit of a bad bounce too.
Really, why would he leave the house, skate across the zone, past Holden , and out to the point. He went from the left side of the ice , near the goalie, to the right point.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

You are better off watching the top prospects game tonight on TSN.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Really, why would he leave the house, skate across the zone, past Holden , and out to the point. He went from the left side of the ice , near the goalie, to the right point.

Because it's the NHL and there's a lot of rotation. You don't want to be switching the puck carrier every time he enters a new zone. Holden is engaged with Beauviller, you can argue Brannstrom is a bit slow with his read, giving Lee to much ice but ultimately the break down is Mayfield coming down from the blueline unchecked.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Because it's the NHL and there's a lot of rotation. You don't want to be switching the puck carrier every time he enters a new zone. Holden is engaged with Beauviller, you can argue Brannstrom is a bit slow with his read, giving Lee to much ice but ultimately the break down is Mayfield coming down from the blueline unchecked.
And if Branny stays in front of the net, instead of chasing, he’s there for Mayfield.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

They went from a bigger tougher lineup that plays a possession game to a smaller faster lineup that takes advantage of their speed. Johnson tries to intimidate Tkachuk into a fight on the opening faceoff. The game was tied going into the 3rd where NYI got a goal on another Ott mistake & then it went downhill from there. Big lineup lose to fast lineup lose.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
its fun to dream and ill be honest i bought into this a bit myself a little bit for this offseason and then we traded for another #6/7/8 dman to be a top 4 dman for us. Forget what we paid for it or the contract itself, the move was so dumb on a skillset point as well so its not going to happen

the only way in theory we upgrade on defense now is we package zub for an upgrade (which will be marginal at best and just stupid imo), or pay pieces/package zaistev for an upgrade which seems unlikely because of our coaches love affair. So our defense isnt being upgraded. We have our goalies set. And we have seen through our forward history under dorion that we will either bring in very mediocre/meh forwards and expect them to do too much or make a really stupid trade

Might as well go through Hale's list and see which free agent forwards are available that will cost 2.5 million or less and are on the downswing in their career
Finding Zub was like a lottery win. Sending Pierre out to swap him for a bag of magic beans would be a horrible mistake.

Reactions: TheNewEra

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I'd pack it in as a fan until there is new management or ownership if they did that. guy a year away from UFA when the core is all 25 and under and you are a bottom 5 team. Might be the dumbest thing this organization has done yet and that's really saying something.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'd pack it in as a fan until there is new management or ownership if they did that. guy a year away from UFA when the core is all 25 and under and you are a bottom 5 team. Might be the dumbest thing this organization has done yet and that's really saying something.
Ya, real hard to say what Dorion would do.

I'm just thinking the Wild are going to be asking for something in return for a trade involving Fiala. They can't take on player & salary because of their cap situation, so it's logical to assume that picks very well could be involved, and that Fiala is a pretty good player. Just doing some role reversal here and trying figure out or take a somewhat educated guess on the return that the Wild would want.

Trade protection (e.g., top 5 or 10 protected) is frequently used, but by all accounts, the 2023-24 draft is shaping up to be a good one with some high end players. So, additionally, if we don't improve significantly in the standings next year, you have to wonder which draft year would be the best one to take advantage of between the next 2 drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00