Low Effort GDT Oh hey look the Ottawa Senators are playing! OTT vs. NYI 7:30 PM on TSN

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
Technically, if you wind up with fewer points than all the other teams in the league, isn't that still unparalleled success...just in a bad way?

Asking for a man who would like to go to the Toronto media some time soon, and maybe unfurl a 'Promises Kept' banner before trying to sell little cat poops as pieces of caviar.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Losing sucks. Even the possibility of a high pick does not give this season a silver lining, because high picks have gotten us absolutely nowhere so far.

I mean yes I love Tkachuk and Timmy for example, but good is hording top 5 picks if we are going to leave these young guys hanging to dry every year?
Been made pretty clear by now that Pierre is totally capable of building a viable NHL team even though he is picking early every year. He takes the lay up picks but doesn’t do anything else??

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
We must have the lowest overall skill level in the league.
Tonight's lineup, you're probably right. But a fully healthy lineup -- with Chabot, Batherson, Brady, Timmy, Norris, Pinto. Formenton and adding Sanderson and other high picks -- is rich in young talent. After this horrid season, the trick will be attracting quality veterans to add to the mix. Management has missed that boat two years in a row.

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
He was a better hockey player than the majority of the other players

Emotional attachment aside, that is not really saying much when the competition is Ennis, Sanford, Gambrell, Watson, Gaudette, Kelly, Tierney and a bunch of rookies.

Even with such a crappy roster, Paul could not solidify himself this season as a player we absolutely had to keep at any cost and felt that no matter what he would be at worst a 3rd line player in 2 or 3 years.

The way he played, his lack of finish, made us question whether we might potentially be paying a 4th line player 3 million + down the road because he was going to be easily surpassed in the depth chart by guys like Pinto, Formenton, Greig etc.

Reactions: DrEasy and Yak

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
That was the worst game I've watched all year. Just about every single player played badly (outside of Forsberg).

Just awful. I don't mind the loss but do something out there.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Emotional attachment aside, that is not really saying much when the competition is Ennis, Sanford, Gambrell, Watson, Gaudette, Kelly, Tierney and a bunch of rookies.

Even with such a crappy roster, Paul could not solidify himself this season as a player we absolutely had to keep at any cost and felt that no matter what he would be at worst a 3rd line player in 2 or 3 years.

The way he played, his lack of finish, made us question whether we might potentially be paying a 4th line player 3 million + down the road because he was going to be easily surpassed in the depth chart by guys like Pinto, Formenton, Greig etc.
I agree, I never saw the obsession with Paul. Sometimes he was not noticeable. Maybe that was a good thing.

As I watched more of his play, he seems like a good playoff hockey player. However we are not their!

MJ looks like he is going to drive plays and be a great energy player who has some offensive upside. I will hold back judgement till a full season of him playing for us. Small sample sizes is what gets us fans in trouble.

I won't complain about tonight's game, NYI came out on defensive mission against a defensive challenges team. We kept up but cracked in the end. Move on. So boring is not hard to forget.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Those players you listed wouldn’t be displaced by Paul on the depth chart. He would have been comfortable floating around the 3rd and 4th line.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Tonight's lineup, you're probably right. But a fully healthy lineup -- with Chabot, Batherson, Brady, Timmy, Norris, Pinto. Formenton and adding Sanderson and other high picks -- is rich in young talent. After this horrid season, the trick will be attracting quality veterans to add to the mix. Management has missed that boat two years in a row.

its fun to dream and ill be honest i bought into this a bit myself a little bit for this offseason and then we traded for another #6/7/8 dman to be a top 4 dman for us. Forget what we paid for it or the contract itself, the move was so dumb on a skillset point as well so its not going to happen

the only way in theory we upgrade on defense now is we package zub for an upgrade (which will be marginal at best and just stupid imo), or pay pieces/package zaistev for an upgrade which seems unlikely because of our coaches love affair. So our defense isnt being upgraded. We have our goalies set. And we have seen through our forward history under dorion that we will either bring in very mediocre/meh forwards and expect them to do too much or make a really stupid trade

Might as well go through Hale's list and see which free agent forwards are available that will cost 2.5 million or less and are on the downswing in their career

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Skipped this one. The team is in a rut and the Isles play a boring brand of hockey (no hate, Sens have played that way in the past too and it was effective).

Tank mode is definitely engaged. When you play a defenceman half a game and he gets hurt, you know it's going to be bad.

My concern now is for the young core. How does the team keep them positive and engaged? It's only normal to be frustrated when you are losing but we've been bad for a while and my worry is the frustration becomes a sense of hopelessness.

Very worrying time for the franchise and its future.

Reactions: Jorge Garcia

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Forsberg... really seems like his improvements are legit. I never bought into the Hammond or Condon signings, they both seems like a mirage (and both faded after being hot anyway), but I can see Forsberg being legit. He looks athletic, technically sound and confident. He used to be victim of weak goals but those seemed to have disappeared with more consistent time. Info we have also suggested he's very hard working. Hopefully he keeps playing well.

Otherwise... yawn, another important loss.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Forsberg... really seems like his improvements are legit. I never bought into the Hammond or Condon signings, they both seems like a mirage (and both faded after being hot anyway), but I can see Forsberg being legit. He looks athletic, technically sound and confident. He used to be victim of weak goals but those seemed to have disappeared with more consistent time. Info we have also suggested he's very hard working. Hopefully he keeps playing well.

Otherwise... yawn, another important loss.

Hammond was scrambly in the crease, second effort was amazing, but never looked in control,

Condon I thought looked better, he was pretty efficient in the crease, apparently some injury issues kind of derailed his career, but he never really looked as in control as Forsberg. Neither him or Hammond looked like a starter in my mind, but Condon I though was going to be an adequate backup.

Forsberg seems to track the play/puck well, has the size to be a shot blocker, and seems to come up big on reaction saves quite often, it's a tiny sample, but he's looked really good in it. We'll see how it goes, confidence plays a huge role in goaltending, so I never like to judge a guy when things are going their way, I prefer to judge them on how they bounce back after poor outings or goals.

edit: My biggest issue with this deal is what it means for Gustavsson, but I don't think he's ready to be a backup quite yet (hasn't been helped by bouncing around due to Murray's health). Going to suck if we lose him to waivers next year, but we needed to sign Forsberg given Murray's health history. Personally, I'm in the buy out Murray camp at this point, can't be relying on a guy that spends as much time on the IR as in the crease.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I almost fell asleep.

I mean, I’m tired, but still.
Ya, it was a pretty lackluster game for the Senators (Islanders as well). Not much happened & the Senators didn't generate much of anything. Forsberg played a good game, and that's about it.

Reactions: Emrasie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3