Movies: Oh Good... More Seth Rogen CRAP - Good Boys

Sep 19, 2008
Not a big Rogan fan either but I don't watch much or pay attention to his movies and I certainly don't make a thread pontificating to anyone who give a f*** about how bad he is:naughty:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
You thought it was going to make way more than $20 million? How? Did you just tell yourself that so it would automatically “underperform”?

Anyone who can claim box office disappointment from a film with no recognizable stars that opens at number one and is the highest opening weekend for a pure comedy film in over a year is probably someone who lacks much understanding about the film industry.

The idea that this film is taking a way from other filmmaker opportunities is ridiculous. It only got a decent theatrical release because it was well received at SXSW. It's a limited budget.

It's success is actually much more likely to encourage studios to take a few more risks and not rely on stale franchises.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You thought it was going to make way more than $20 million? How? Did you just tell yourself that so it would automatically “underperform”?
Because it's the summer and the weekend provided little competition, I expected a bigger opening from the "people who brought you Superbad".

Glad I was wrong!

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Anyone who can claim box office disappointment from a film with no recognizable stars that opens at number one and is the highest opening weekend for a pure comedy film in over a year is probably someone who lacks much understanding about the film industry.

The idea that this film is taking a way from other filmmaker opportunities is ridiculous. It only got a decent theatrical release because it was well received at SXSW. It's a limited budget.

It's success is actually much more likely to encourage studios to take a few more risks and not rely on stale franchises.
You're wrong.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Because it's the summer and the weekend provided little competition, I expected a bigger opening from the "people who brought you Superbad".

Glad I was wrong!

But how did you expect that? Literally nobody else who pays attention to this kind stuff would consider this underperforming.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
First Long Shot and Booksmart disappointed earlier this summer, and now Good Boys did less than I expect. Life is good. ;)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Rogen is probably going to credit this thread for half the buzz this movie got.
LOL. Glad I could help out a fellow Canadian. :) And I agree, this thread has gotten far more attention than I expected - I fully expected it to drop off Page 1 quickly, never to be seen again.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Crow eating time...

Good Boys [2019] :

While I could have done without all the swearing (the movie would have been just as good without it), and showing the kids running across the highway is a BAD idea (kids will try it), I laughed from start to finish.

Good Boys is a really funny movie.
7.5/10

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Crow eating time...

Good Boys [2019] :

While I could have done without all the swearing (the movie would have been just as good without it), and showing the kids running across the highway is a BAD idea (kids will try it), I laughed from start to finish.

7.5/10

giphy.gif

Reactions: Sens

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well that was a weird turn.

I'm still kinda confused why he decided to watch it with an open mind in the first place. Wasn't the whole point to persuade people not to?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Also, unless I'm missing something, why is this proclaimed as some sort of Rogen vehicle. He didn't direct, write or star in the film.
He produced it, like he was one of the producers on the Amazon show The Boys or Preacher which are generally well liked.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Unless I'm wrong, doesn't that mean he just poured money into the project? He wasn't part of the creative process was he?
While I can't say anything about this movie. He definitely had input in the creative process for Preacher and I think he did a good job. It's got a good balance of funny and serious. I'm not a fan of things he stars in, though. He's just not a funny actor for my taste.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Unless I'm wrong, doesn't that mean he just poured money into the project? He wasn't part of the creative process was he?

The producer role can vary, but I'm guessing that Rogens involvement was more hands off on the creative process, and more lending his clout to get the film made. The writing/directing team are veteran guys who have done a lot of TV and film. This isn't a case of a producer mentoring a young talent and helping them through the process of making a film for the first time (like Apatow did with Rogen in the early years).

Reactions: Amerika

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
While I can't say anything about this movie. He definitely had input in the creative process for Preacher and I think he did a good job. It's got a good balance of funny and serious. I'm not a fan of things he stars in, though. He's just not a funny actor for my taste.
He probably had more involvement than people think. Just look at The Boys for instance he said he was trying to get that comic made into a tv show for years before finally accomplishing it similarly to Preacher and Future Man.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Crow eating time...

Good Boys [2019] :

7.5/10

oh my

Sep 19, 2008
Crow eating time...

Good Boys [2019] :

7.5/10

:laugh:

this is why people should actually go see movies instead of hiding behind a keyboard rambling about a movie they never seen. This is like the nerds who hid behind their computer and tried to downvote Captain Marvel because "le no fair to white people :cry: brieeee commentzzzzz :cry:"

Just saw it along with Hobbs and Shaw at the drive in and enjoyed it.
man yall got drive ins still?

kind of pointless no offense with all the theaters with the recliners now. No recliners, no watch.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
:laugh:

this is why people should actually go see movies instead of hiding behind a keyboard rambling about a movie they never seen. This is like the nerds who hid behind their computer and tried to downvote Captain Marvel because "le no fair to white people :cry: brieeee commentzzzzz :cry:"

man yall got drive ins still?

kind of pointless no offense with all the theaters with the recliners now. No recliners, no watch.

Drive-in movie theaters are about more than just going to a movie. We have one around where I live, but I haven't been to it in a while. Was going to go this year, but it was too hot for that. You always have to account for the weather.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad