Movies: Oh Good... More Seth Rogen CRAP - Good Boys

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Err.. it's not like anyone who hates this stuff would be surprised if these types of movies make a lot of money or are well reviewed. It's completely expected for a Rogen movie.

The title/sentiment looks exactly as good or bad as it did before we got that information.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
As long as it makes the title of this thread look bad, I'm fine with it.

I personally don't care about the weird OP grudge against Rogen. But, I am fascinated by this success.

This has been a really tough year at the box office for a lot of films. Disney has dominated, and with the Fox merger and increased streaming viewership, there's a real question to what films are viable anymore as theatrical release.

There's been a lot of failed comedies this year, some fronted by big name movie stars (including Rogen). I'm really curious about the success of this one, when a film like Book Smart, which received a huge marketing push and universal praise, couldn't make much money.

My best guess is that this film doesn't oversell itself. It looks like a silly R rated comedy, and has a release date with little else out there.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
2.50 out of 4stars

Throws a lot of jokes at you and has more hits than misses and a few gut buster moments, but it works better than it should because of it's cast and heart. While all in all it feels like a tweens version of superbad, and it kind of is, it's more a reflective memory of how being a fun 12yr old lighthearted ignorant to the world cheery kid and hanging out with your friends all day was, at least for me it. To summarize the movie in 1 sentence, reliving your tween childhood through a coming of age comedy that puts tweens in awkward situations and lets their naive imaginative minds do the rest. Good but not great, but as you can see from the reviews so far....affable and enjoyable.

Update, given Friday and Thursday previous numbers, Good Boys is expected to bank $20.8mil this opening weekend in the US, elapsing it's $20million budget pretty quickly.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
...it feels like a tweens version of superbad, and it kind of is
Between Good Boys, Blockers and Booksmart, how many times can they go to the "Superbad" well?

Let's hope this is the end.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Reviews sound pretty good so far. OP must be pissed that another Rogan film is bringing in millions at the box office!!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Reviews sound pretty good so far. OP must be pissed that another Rogan film is bringing in millions at the box office!!
I'm losing sleep over it. :rolleyes:

Plus, it's brought in FAR less than I thought it would. :thumbu:

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's a very silly retort, though. One fundamental requirement for these movies to get brought up like this in the first place is because they're expected to do well. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

I mean, I think more of us can relate to the feeling that it's annoying how many Superhero movies there are, and it's perfectly valid to bring that up, but it wouldn't make any sense to go "Look! Avengers End Game made a lot of money! Proves you wrong!" It's like.... no, that's a prerequisite for the original comment being relevant in the first place, not a counter-point that dismisses it.

The only thing I see about the initial post/sentiment of the thread that's objectionable is how petty and possessive it sounds, but this kind of response is somehow even more petty.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's a very silly retort, though. One fundamental requirement for these movies to get brought up like this in the first place is because they're expected to do well. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

I mean, I think more of us can relate to the feeling that it's annoying how many Superhero movies there are, and it's perfectly valid to bring that up, but it wouldn't make any sense to go "Look! Avengers End Game made a lot of money! Proves you wrong!" It's like.... no, that's a prerequisite for the original comment being relevant in the first place, not a counter-point that dismisses it.

The only thing I see about the initial post/sentiment of the thread that's objectionable is how petty it sounds, but this kind of response is somehow even more petty.
The beef I have is...

Every year we see inventive new film makers with new inventive ideas. But, my guess, for every new inventive film maker we see, there are several that never get a chance because a studio has instead decided to finance more of the same old crap from Seth Rogen.

To me, S.R. is the Adam Sandler of this generation - and I don't mean that in a good way. He's not funny, his stuff got old long ago, and he's just cranking out garbage.

If people want to waste their money on seeing the same old, same old, that's on them, but I won't.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The beef I have is...

Every year we see new inventive film makers with new inventive ideas. But, my guess, for every new inventive film maker we see, there are several that never get a chance because a studio has instead decided to finance more of the same old crap from Seth Rogen, instead of taking a chance on someone new.

To me, S.R. is the Adam Sandler of this generation - and I don't mean that in a good way. He's not funny, his stuff got old long ago, and he's just cranking out garbage.

If people want to waste their money on seeing the same old, same old, that's on them, but I won't.
I completely agree with this sentiment, personally, but the way you're expressing it seems pretty questionable and childish. It's like, clearly the masses like this kind of thing (as much as I aggressively disagree with them), but you're framing it as "Let's hope it bombs" on everyone's behalf as if it's a forgone conclusion, and directly engaging fans who like it to desperately nay-say their positive impressions about it in hopes that that will somehow dissuade them from liking what they like. It doesn't really make any sense, is a total lost cause, and hardly seems like a fair approach to begin with.

I'm all for a thread just discussing/expressing frustration over these forms of entertainment being popular, suggesting that they're bad, and arguing about the truth/validity of that sentiment, but this is well beyond that into something much more unreasonable.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I completely agree with this sentiment, personally, but the way you're expressing it seems pretty questionable and childish. It's like, clearly the masses like this kind of thing (as much as I aggressively disagree with them), but you're framing it as "Let's hope it bombs" on everyone's behalf as if it's a forgone conclusion, and directly engaging fans who like it to desperately nay-say their positive impressions about it in hopes that that will somehow dissuade them from liking what they like. It doesn't really make any sense, is a lost cause, and hardly seems like a fair approach to begin with.

I'm all for a thread just discussing/expressing frustration over these forms of entertainment being popular (and that's something that can be argued about), but this is well beyond that into something much more unreasonable.
It's a thread. My opinion doesn't have to be "fair" - supposedly we're all adults here, although sometimes I wonder.

Besides, people can start their own "Good Boys" thread and leave mine to people who don't like Seth Rogen and the garbage he cranks out. If I'm alone in my opinion, the thread disappears.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's a thread. My opinion doesn't have to be "fair" - supposedly we're all adults here, although sometimes I wonder.

Besides, people can start their own "Good Boys" thread and leave mine to people who don't like Seth Rogen and the garbage he cranks out. If I'm alone, the thread disappears.
Not trying to be fair and reasonable when expressing an opinion does not seem very adult to me at all.

I agree that what you're suggesting in the second paragraph sounds great, but your thread doesn't really communicate that intent at all. Instead it reads more like you're intentionally picking a fight with the people who like it rather than wanting to engage with people who don't.

It's like a targeted spite-fest for the sake of it. You can see that, right?

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not trying to be fair and reasonable when expressing an opinion does not seem very adult to me at all.

I agree that what you're suggesting in the second paragraph sounds great, but

I agree that what you're suggesting in the second paragraph sounds great, but your thread doesn't really communicate that intent at all. Instead it reads more like you're intentionally picking a fight with the people who like it rather than wanting to engage with people who don't.

your thread doesn't really communicate that intent at all. Instead it reads more like you're intentionally picking a fight with the people who like it rather than wanting to engage with people who don't.
^^ Oh well... ^^

Seth Rogen makes repetitive, unfunny movies and the world would be better off without it. If you disagree, feel free to start another more "adult" thread to discuss Good Boys.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^^ Oh well... ^^

Seth Rogen makes repetitive, unfunny movies and the world would be better off without it. If you disagree, feel free to start another more "adult" thread to discuss Good Boys.
I do agree, completely (if I could selfishly snap my fingers to get rid of them, I would), and would still criticize your thread on the grounds that I mentioned.

That said, if your original intention was to just have a thread to childishly bicker, throw shade back and forth, and have a tribalistic spite-off for the fun of it, I guess I can't argue with that. Just wanted to clarify the reality that this is what you're doing and that there's a disconnect between that and the more reasonable thing that I assumed you actually wanted to do (and what your followup defenses seem to suggest). Don't take that personally.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I do agree, completely (if I could selfishly snap my fingers to get rid of them, I would), and would still criticize your thread on the grounds that I mentioned.

That said, if your original intention was to just have a thread to childishly bicker, throw shade back and forth, and have a tribalistic spite-off for the fun of it, I guess I can't argue with that. Just wanted to clarify the reality that this is what you're doing and that there's a disconnect between that and the more reasonable thing that I assumed you actually wanted to do (and what your followup defenses seem to suggest). Don't take that personally.
I didn't read most of what you wrote (remember when posting : less is more!), let alone take it personally. ;)

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm going to watch Good Boys, tonight. I will try and watch it with an open mind.

I hope it's funny.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
This movie looks terrible, I cant stand the actor involved and I hope it bombs.

Anyway going to see it tonight

:laugh:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This movie looks terrible, I cant stand the actor involved and I hope it bombs.

Anyway going to see it tonight

:laugh:
I'm not "going to see it". I will watch it on line... for free! Then I will write a review. If I'm wrong and it's funny, I'll be honest and eat a ton of crow.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I didn't read most of what you wrote (remember when posting : less is more!), let alone take it personally. ;)
Just trying to be fully understood-- There's a trade-off either way, I find, but if you're not going to read it, then you're not going to read it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad