Offseason Trade Targets

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020

So, would anyone be willing to make a move for Strome? or, if the Hawks are in a cap bind, maybe Andrew Shaw if we get some sweeteners on it?

Looks like Chicago expects Dach to take on a full time top 6 role next year; Strome isn't much of a 3rd line center. They shouldn't be in a cap bind either unless Strome is asking for too much. He'd be an upgrade at 2C for sure, but I think the cost would be either a blue chip forward prospect or a late first round pick. The Perlini trade is Yzerman's biggest mistake so far, so I think he'd be hesitant to offer a real piece of our rebuild just to swing big again. I don't want Strome unless the cost is a pick below our 32nd overall.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Straight up, Turris and a 1st or 2 2nds for a bag of pucks.

But I think given Nashville's powerplay woes, they would have interest in young, cheaper, more offensive-geared players like Fabbri or Cholowski.

I think Fabbri or Cholowski could fetch Turris + Tomasino + a second or
Turris + Farrance + a first
I'd trade Cholo. No way on Fabbri, unless it's both Farrance+Tomasino+2nd + quasi-capdump Turris. And that's only if SY is really high on both Farrance & Tomasino. But NSH wouldn't do that. We only had 5 F's on pace for 30+pts/82 gp. You take out Fabs & replace Turris, there's still a gaping hole on 2nd line, but older & a lot more expensive, soft, oft-injured/oft-traded etc. No thanks on Turris overall. RNH is UFA in 1 yr, maybe worth exploring then + the expansion draft & lower cap...

Last edited:

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I don't think we can really afford to make a trade, Picks and prospects would be the only thing of value and we need both right now.

We should be exploring the free agent market and picking up some vets to fill holes and trade off at a future deadline and rinse repeat till our prospects develop.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
I'd do Cholo. No way on Fabbri, unless it's both Farrance+Tomasino+2nd + quasi-capdump Turris. And that's only if SY is really high on both Farrance & Tomasino. But NSH wouldn't do that. We only had 5 F's on pace for 30+pts/82 gp. You take out Fabs & replace Turris, there's still a gaping hole on 2nd line, but older & a lot more expensive, soft, oft-injured/oft-traded etc. No thanks on Turris overall. RNH is UFA in 1 yr, maybe worth exploring then + the expansion draft & lower cap...

RNH would be great, but unless there's news I'm missing, I doubt Edmonton lets him go - they have a hard time getting legitimate top 6 forwards who can play with mcdavid and draisaitl.

For me, trading for Turris is just recognizing that we won't really contend for most of his contract. But he still adds value as a 40-50 point 2nd line center who, at least under Hynes, kills penalties pretty well. The potential Mantha chemistry is one reason to trade, but I think the best fit with Turris is he skates well and (along with LGD) can take hard minutes from Larkin. If we want to score more, I'd rather do it by maximizing Larkin's offense. Turris's contract probably won't look ugly on the wings until the last year, maybe two. I disagree that Turris is any more injury prone than Fabbri. I think there's gonna be a gaping hole on most of our lines for a few years.

For the return, Tomasino just put up 100 points in the OHL and looks like a better prospect than Veleno (i.e the 2C we need in our pipeline). While Farrance had a breakout year and looks like a better PP QB than any of our d prospects. Plus he's a lefty with a second pairing projection which we need.

Value-wise, Cholowski is probably worth a second, and Fabbri maybe a late first in the right trade. But Fabbri is much more valuable to Nashville than Cholo. If we can trade Fabbri for a blue chip top 6 center, a likely 45-55th OA pick, plus upgrade our 2nd line for 2 years (while waiting out a bad 1-2 years). Talent-wise it looks like at worst a lateral move for our second line now, while the cap hit won't hinder our contending years.

I see our top 6 looking like:
Bert/Helm - Larkin - Zadina
Helm/Flip/LGD/Bert - Turris - Mantha

Ideally we get Laf, Byfield, or Stutzle to play second line LW

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Turris has been considerably better since the coaching change in January, so I dont know how quickly Nashville would want to part with him since he's turning it around. However if he was available and Detroit could get him, I would hope Blash is gone first because bringing him into a system that is pure dump and chase isnt going to make him look too good, much like the rest of the team at the moment.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Pass on Turris don't want to invest in 30 or 30+ year old players this team needs a youth movement. Would love a look at Dylan Strome but I don't want to give up much for him. Strome does have a ring of one of those Yzerman magic trades where he gets a great player for almost nothing.

I am still in the camp wondering what we even have to offer for trades that we won't miss. Unless we are taking on a bad contract, that we can afford.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
RNH would be great, but unless there's news I'm missing, I doubt Edmonton lets him go - they have a hard time getting legitimate top 6 forwards who can play with mcdavid and draisaitl.

For me, trading for Turris is just recognizing that we won't really contend for most of his contract. But he still adds value as a 40-50 point 2nd line center who, at least under Hynes, kills penalties pretty well. The potential Mantha chemistry is one reason to trade, but I think the best fit with Turris is he skates well and (along with LGD) can take hard minutes from Larkin. If we want to score more, I'd rather do it by maximizing Larkin's offense. Turris's contract probably won't look ugly on the wings until the last year, maybe two. I disagree that Turris is any more injury prone than Fabbri. I think there's gonna be a gaping hole on most of our lines for a few years.

For the return, Tomasino just put up 100 points in the OHL and looks like a better prospect than Veleno (i.e the 2C we need in our pipeline). While Farrance had a breakout year and looks like a better PP QB than any of our d prospects. Plus he's a lefty with a second pairing projection which we need.

Value-wise, Cholowski is probably worth a second, and Fabbri maybe a late first in the right trade. But Fabbri is much more valuable to Nashville than Cholo. If we can trade Fabbri for a blue chip top 6 center, a likely 45-55th OA pick, plus upgrade our 2nd line for 2 years (while waiting out a bad 1-2 years). Talent-wise it looks like at worst a lateral move for our second line now, while the cap hit won't hinder our contending years.

I see our top 6 looking like:
Bert/Helm - Larkin - Zadina
Helm/Flip/LGD/Bert - Turris - Mantha

Ideally we get Laf, Byfield, or Stutzle to play second line LW
I agree to disagree on Turris. Besides, neither Farrance/Tomasino are in the NHL, so they could end up being busts a la Kindl/Smith/Sproul/Ouellet, in which case we'd lose the trade & young, cheap, skilled creative winger who meshes well & actually likes our team. Fabbri & Bert are really good friends, I bet SY locks him up 3-5 yrs/$2.75-4M.

Reactions: Vector Cereal

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I don't think we can really afford to make a trade, Picks and prospects would be the only thing of value and we need both right now.

We should be exploring the free agent market and picking up some vets to fill holes and trade off at a future deadline and rinse repeat till our prospects develop.
Contract limit will prevent you from signing all your picks.

At some point you have to pass judgement and choose who you are keeping.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Contract limit will prevent you from signing all your picks.

At some point you have to pass judgement and choose who you are keeping.
I believe we have 26 players under contract not counting RFA, UFA, and unsigned draftees. That gives us plenty of flexibility.
Mantha RFA
Gagner UFA
Bertuzzi RFA
Erne RFA
Fabbri RFA
Ehn RFA
Perlini RFA
Timashov RFA
Hirose RFA
Svechikov RFA
Turgeon RFA
Elson UFA
Puempel UFA
Terry UFA
Ericsson UFA
Daley UFA
Bowey RFA
Goloubef UFA
Wood RFA
Howard UFA

Last edited:

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I believe we have 26 players under contract not counting RFA, UFA, and unsigned draftees. That gives us plenty of flexibility.
Mantha RFA
Gagner UFA
Bertuzzi RFA
Erne RFA
Fabbri RFA
Ehn RFA
Perlini RFA
Timashov RFA
Hirose RFA
Svechikov RFA
Turgeon RFA
Elson UFA
Puempel UFA
Terry UFA
Ericsson UFA
Daley UFA
Bowey RFA
Biega UFA
Goloubef UFA
Wood RFA
Howard UFA
Capfriendly states 27

Now include the RFA/UFAs you know are gong to re-up. Which is at least 9-10 from that list which brings you to about 37. Keep in mind that is a very conservative estimate, it could easily be more.

Now include the NHL roster level replacements for those gone such as Howard. Which will take you to around 40.

Than you can finally take a look at AHL filler and signing picks.

Not saying its an issue now, but eventually those hard choices will need to be made after stocking up prospects.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Mantha RFA
Gagner UFA
Bertuzzi RFA
Erne RFA
Fabbri RFA
Ehn RFA
Perlini RFA
Timashov RFA
Hirose RFA
Svechikov RFA
Turgeon RFA
Elson UFA
Puempel UFA
Terry UFA
Ericsson UFA
Daley UFA
Bowey RFA
Biega UFA
Goloubef UFA
Wood RFA
Howard UFA
Not that it makes a big difference but Biega was signed to an extension already.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Capfriendly states 27

Now include the RFA/UFAs you know are gong to re-up. Which is at least 9-10 from that list which brings you to about 37. Keep in mind that is a very conservative estimate, it could easily be more.

Now include the NHL roster level replacements for those gone such as Howard. Which will take you to around 40.

Than you can finally take a look at AHL filler and signing picks.

Not saying its an issue now, but eventually those hard choices will need to be made after stocking up prospects.
Yes, I have always had trouble deciding whether McIsaac's contract counted or not

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00