Offseason Trade Targets

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Just spitballing ideas for the offseason, whenever it happens to come this year

I'm going to list guys I think could be available because of cap or financial reasons (ownership cutting salary) that probably won't come at a premium price because of declining role or not fitting in with a coach

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think and encourage you all to add on

Mathieu Perrault (1 year - $4.125M cap hit)
Nick Leddy (2 years - $5.5M cap hit)
Alex Killorn (3 years - $4.45M cap hit)
Nino Niederreiter (2 years - $5.25M cap hit)
Jake Gardiner (3 years - $4.05M cap hit)
Nick Bjugstad (1 year - $4.1M cap hit)
Shayne Gostisbehere (3 years - $4.5M cap hit)
Tyler Bozak (1 year - $5M cap hit)

These are some names I picked out on a preliminary look over CapFriendly, I would love to hear who else you guys think fit this criteria. I know there are the Ladds, Erikssons, etc. of the world, but I'm trying to apply similar logic to guys who can actually positively impact a game still, potentially

I don't necessarily love any of these guys, but there is no doubt there is improvement over a lot of current guys on our roster with these names

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If Gostisbehere is available he might be worth it, same with Bjugstad but I get the feeling they'll both stay with their respective teams. I like Alex Killorn but I'd prefer to steal Anthony Cirelli from Tampa Bay instead. Also, Killorn has a NTC which may make it difficult to move him to Detroit. The problem with these pieces is we'd have to give up a lot to get them here and they don't move the needle enough to warrant the payout for them. (Likely picks , prospects or both)

Tyler Bozak - No. He does what Gagner and Filpulla do on this team (probably a little better, but only marginally)
Jake Gardiner - Maybe, if only because we need some immediate assistance on LD. We won't be hurting for cap space over the next 3 years so the hit isn't bad.
Nino Niederreiter - No. A full season of Zadina and we'll see similar production at a minimum. My guess is that next season Zadina tops 50 points.
Mathieu Perrault - No. I'd rather use some kids on the 3rd/4th lines and make them earn it or sign a better FA for less money.
Nick Leddy - Maybe, for all the same reasons as Gardiner.

Looking at our roster and the upcoming UFAs in 2020 and 2021 I think we're better off plugging holes from there. I'd take a look at who can help us the most on the PK from the available pool, because our PK is dead last in the league. (Part goalie problem, part strategy problem, part personnel problem) If Lehner is available we should explore a 3 year deal for him, Sami Vatanen on D, and another Nemeth type defenseman that brings sandpaper to the left side.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can see Killorn making a lot of sense for Yzerman.

Dare I add... Ryan Suter?

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Suter is now 35 if he was involved in a trade to the Wings it would have to be a 2 year deal.

I guess that's why I find the idea so interesting. Some people say his contract of toxic. Others say he's still good enough he'd command too much in a trade.

I wonder what the reality is for Minnesota.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I've been mulling over a bigger deal with Carolina that includes something like:

Niederreiter
Gardiner
Reimer
Bean

with us sending them Nielsen, Helm, Bernier, Svechnikov and potentially a pick or multiple picks if the price was right.

I'd retain the full 50% on Helm and Bernier and immediately buyout Reimer.

I look at Carolina's D and it looks like they could slot it like:

Slavin - Hamilton
Edmunson - Pesce
Skjei - TVR/ Vatanen (whoever they want to re-sign)
Fleury

I think they already view Gardiner as bit of cap and roster baggage, though he probably only carries slight negative value to them.

Similar with Nino who was really hot last year after arriving playing with Carolina's better players in the top 6, now playing a lot of hockey down towards the bottom of Carolina's roster this season and carrying much too high of a cap hit for his current role and impact.

This move saves Carolina a good amount of cap space right away so that re-signing Foegele, Edmunson, Vatanen, (whoever they pick to stick around) etc. is a lot easier to swallow + Helm and Bernier expire in summer 2021 when they need to re-sign Andrei Svechnikov and Dougie Hamilton.

The poison pill for the Canes is giving up Bean and taking on Nielsen, but I'm hoping the fact that Andrei is getting his brother into the organisation and them opening up their cap (and D roster spots) motivates them enough to agree, I'd be willing to add something like a 3rd and a later pick to sweeten the pot.

A. Svechnikov - Aho - Teravainen
Foegele - Trocheck - Necas
Dzingel - Staal - E. Svechnikov
Helm - McGinn - Martinook
Nielsen/ Geekie

Also Bernier being able to play ~30-35 games behind Mrazek is a nice insurance policy, quite a large upgrade on Reimer IMO, and they don't have to rely on 42 year old zamboni drivers to bail them out!

For us, the motivation would be rolling the dice on upgrading the roster for a steep price cap-wise in the short/ medium term, though we are able to dump Nielsen.

Niederreiter gives the team a good top 9 winger option for the next two years, we can flip him at the TDL in 2022 if he stabilises or potentially re-sign him to a more fitting contract if he turns into a good fit (picturing a Fabbri-like acquisition)

Gardiner has some real warts, no doubt about it. Mr. Anti-Game 7 for TML in the past, soft as warm butter in the corners, pretty shy about contact, but he obviously upgrades our transition and outlet passing. In a sheltered role as a #4/5 and QBing the 2nd PP, he could certainly carve out ~$4M quality impact on our team.

This move doesn't make us significantly better, but in my view we have to show guys like Larkin, Hronek, Mantha, Bertuzzi that we want to get them some help and not be embarrassingly bad, and then longer term Bean can hopefully grab a top 4 role and help a ton with our transition game and puck possession.

Yzerman is able to wash his hands of a lot of Holland's leftovers in this move, and can target a guy in Bean that looks like he will be perpetually stuck behind older, established players.

I know, I know. "Turn off the Xbox."

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Just spitballing ideas for the offseason, whenever it happens to come this year

I'm going to list guys I think could be available because of cap or financial reasons (ownership cutting salary) that probably won't come at a premium price because of declining role or not fitting in with a coach

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think and encourage you all to add on

Mathieu Perrault (1 year - $4.125M cap hit)
Nick Leddy (2 years - $5.5M cap hit)
Alex Killorn (3 years - $4.45M cap hit)
Nino Niederreiter (2 years - $5.25M cap hit)
Jake Gardiner (3 years - $4.05M cap hit)
Nick Bjugstad (1 year - $4.1M cap hit)
Shayne Gostisbehere (3 years - $4.5M cap hit)
Tyler Bozak (1 year - $5M cap hit)

These are some names I picked out on a preliminary look over CapFriendly, I would love to hear who else you guys think fit this criteria. I know there are the Ladds, Erikssons, etc. of the world, but I'm trying to apply similar logic to guys who can actually positively impact a game still, potentially

I don't necessarily love any of these guys, but there is no doubt there is improvement over a lot of current guys on our roster with these names

No thanks to that list. Unless Detroit is getting paid.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
1. Ghost if he came fairly cheap, but he was trending upwards around TDL, so that's not likely.
2. Gardiner/Leddy for near capdump prices only which is not likely.
3. Killorn, we're looking at a logjam at wing already, otherwise @ near cap dump price to flip him @TDL, sure. He's having his most productive year & will be 31 in Sept, so they'll want something decent for him.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Hypothetically, of course, what would you be willing to give up for Drai?
I shudder to even think about that as I know it'd gut our franchise. '21 & '22 1sts (top 3 lottery protected) + Hirose, LGD, Helm, Svech, Ras (all 50% retention) + lifetime supply of crazy bread & some Mickey Redmond autographed memorabilia + 1 capdump of their choice, likely James Neal 3yrs@$5.75.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's gotta be in the ballpark at least.

Edit: throw in a Karen Newman CD & 4 tickets to the 23-24 SCF @LCA.

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I shudder to even think about that as I know it'd gut our franchise. '21 & '22 1sts (top 3 lottery protected) + Hirose, LGD, Helm, Svech, Ras (all 50% retention) + lifetime supply of crazy bread & some Mickey Redmond autographed memorabilia + 1 capdump of their choice, likely James Neal 3yrs@$5.75.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Wow dude you can't trade quantity for quality I dunno why all this junk is even part of the trade.

Larkin and 2 1sts makes maybe more sense and I definitely do it.

For Draisaitl Edmonton can honestly take their pick of whatever they want. Only things I keep are Seider and '20 1st. I'd like to really TRY to hold onto Hronek and Bertuzzi but if they insist...

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Leddy and Bjustad are out for me. Former Gophers will do nothing but disappoint you, and I am only 10% joking.

Ghost could be intriguing from the standpoint he; a) is the same age as the guys likely to be kept as the core, b) could probably benefit from a change of scenery, c) fills a need as as a point producing d-man if he regains form.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Larkin+

Make me an offer I'll think about it.

I don't wanna... that's why I asked someone else.

If he ever hits FA, I think that's about the only way we'd be able to acquire him.

Leddy and Bjustad are out for me.

I'd give Bjugger (pronounced "Booger") a shot at 2C... probably even Leddy as a veteran, 1st-to-2nd pair D presence. I, however, am not a rabid badger (or any other member of the Mustelidae family), so I'm more open to those options.

Ghost would be too expensive, I think.

Last edited:

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Turris and Gardiner as potential cap dump trades are intriguing. Would take a flyer on Ghost for the right price as well. Gotta think Yzerman will be in talks with Tampa about their cap crunch.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I've been mulling over a bigger deal with Carolina that includes something like:

Niederreiter
Gardiner
Reimer
Bean

with us sending them Nielsen, Helm, Bernier, Svechnikov and potentially a pick or multiple picks if the price was right.

I'd retain the full 50% on Helm and Bernier and immediately buyout Reimer.

I look at Carolina's D and it looks like they could slot it like:

Slavin - Hamilton
Edmunson - Pesce
Skjei - TVR/ Vatanen (whoever they want to re-sign)
Fleury

I think they already view Gardiner as bit of cap and roster baggage, though he probably only carries slight negative value to them.

Similar with Nino who was really hot last year after arriving playing with Carolina's better players in the top 6, now playing a lot of hockey down towards the bottom of Carolina's roster this season and carrying much too high of a cap hit for his current role and impact.

This move saves Carolina a good amount of cap space right away so that re-signing Foegele, Edmunson, Vatanen, (whoever they pick to stick around) etc. is a lot easier to swallow + Helm and Bernier expire in summer 2021 when they need to re-sign Andrei Svechnikov and Dougie Hamilton.

The poison pill for the Canes is giving up Bean and taking on Nielsen, but I'm hoping the fact that Andrei is getting his brother into the organisation and them opening up their cap (and D roster spots) motivates them enough to agree, I'd be willing to add something like a 3rd and a later pick to sweeten the pot.

A. Svechnikov - Aho - Teravainen
Foegele - Trocheck - Necas
Dzingel - Staal - E. Svechnikov
Helm - McGinn - Martinook
Nielsen/ Geekie

Also Bernier being able to play ~30-35 games behind Mrazek is a nice insurance policy, quite a large upgrade on Reimer IMO, and they don't have to rely on 42 year old zamboni drivers to bail them out!

For us, the motivation would be rolling the dice on upgrading the roster for a steep price cap-wise in the short/ medium term, though we are able to dump Nielsen.

Niederreiter gives the team a good top 9 winger option for the next two years, we can flip him at the TDL in 2022 if he stabilises or potentially re-sign him to a more fitting contract if he turns into a good fit (picturing a Fabbri-like acquisition)

Gardiner has some real warts, no doubt about it. Mr. Anti-Game 7 for TML in the past, soft as warm butter in the corners, pretty shy about contact, but he obviously upgrades our transition and outlet passing. In a sheltered role as a #4/5 and QBing the 2nd PP, he could certainly carve out ~$4M quality impact on our team.

This move doesn't make us significantly better, but in my view we have to show guys like Larkin, Hronek, Mantha, Bertuzzi that we want to get them some help and not be embarrassingly bad, and then longer term Bean can hopefully grab a top 4 role and help a ton with our transition game and puck possession.

Yzerman is able to wash his hands of a lot of Holland's leftovers in this move, and can target a guy in Bean that looks like he will be perpetually stuck behind older, established players.

I know, I know. "Turn off the Xbox."
I just don't see the incentive for CAR here.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't personally dislike RNH. The problem for me is he is going to want money and term in his next contract and I think he wants number 1 center money if he comes to the wings. IMO Ryan is a good second line center and even better winger. Which we kinda don't need to fill through free agency or trade. We already have a second line center and we really don't need wingers desperately. I like Ryan for his age and he does bring skill. I am out for the term and $$ he will want. If someone is not fixing first line or first pairing or goalie issues then I don't see the point. We should just pack the filler through the draft.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'd do our 2020 pick unprotected for Drai. Because he is quite literally what you could expect the high end for any prospect there except for Lafreniere and he's already got a long term deal. I give up the 18% chance at getting a guy with more potential for a bust-proof 1C who's got a great deal for what he is.

Basically, our team is at the point where if we got Lafreniere, he'd be making Draisaitl money plus by the time we're ready to do anything.

Maybe even add something reasonable to it. I'd do 2021 unprotected plus something more than if we were dealing the 2020 unprotected.

Like 2020 unprotected 1st + LGD

Or 2021 unprotected first + Rasmussen or Veleno

If Edmonton wants to roll the dice and go big draft game fishing, I'll play that game with them.

Or if we win the lotto, maybe I do the Lafreniere pick for Draisaitl+

I'm a huge Leon fan.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'd do our 2020 pick unprotected for Drai. Because he is quite literally what you could expect the high end for any prospect there except for Lafreniere and he's already got a long term deal. I give up the 18% chance at getting a guy with more potential for a bust-proof 1C who's got a great deal for what he is.

Basically, our team is at the point where if we got Lafreniere, he'd be making Draisaitl money plus by the time we're ready to do anything.

Maybe even add something reasonable to it. I'd do 2021 unprotected plus something more than if we were dealing the 2020 unprotected.

Like 2020 unprotected 1st + LGD

Or 2021 unprotected first + Rasmussen or Veleno

If Edmonton wants to roll the dice and go big draft game fishing, I'll play that game with them.

Or if we win the lotto, maybe I do the Lafreniere pick for Draisaitl+

I'm a huge Leon fan.
Doubt EDM bites on 21 UP 1st + LGD/Ras+JV. They'd be assuming a lot of risk. 2 1sts (top 3 protected) + Hirose,Svech,LGD,Helm +Ras would likely be more interesting b/c we're likely to have bottom 5ish picks both years & they're getting 2 young depth players with upside, 1 young huge C former 1st rd. pick & 2 solid vet depth pieces for now. Still doubt Kenny pulls that trigger but that'd be my final offer value wise. Keeps us from losing our core pieces & young guns (except Ras) who is the only real loss besides the picks. Hirose & Svech maybe 3rd liners at best if they ever make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->