Offseason Trade Targets

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If I am an EDM fan I would call for heads if they traded Draisaitl for a pick

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure I'd deal for anyone unless there was some serious compensation coming back with them, either a pretty highly regarded prospect or a 1st.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
We don't have the assets to make a trade. It would also gut is to get him. And the likely multiple first rounders with no protection he would cost would make the say 2020 and 2021 picks would really set the rebuild back.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I just don't see the incentive for CAR here.

That's more than fair, and I'd assume their fan base would have the exact same reaction

I'm basing this on a belief that Dundon + Waddell, despite being a very wealthy owner and experienced GM, would be willing to budge on value to get out from under the amount of term and dollars (not just cap hit) attached to their players

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Is there any appetite here for Will Butcher?

It's a tricky situation to navigate, because LHD is the Devils' biggest organizational need, but Butcher has grown redundant. He isn't needed as a PPQB (Subban) and he's no longer our best defenseman in transition (Subban, Severson). Most Devils fans are fine with keeping him, but if we're able to sign/acquire a meaner, more defensive LHD (Edmundson, Zadorov, etc.), we'd definitely explore our options with Butcher.

He's signed for two more years at $3.375M AAV.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

It's a tricky situation to navigate, because LHD is the Devils' biggest organizational need, but Butcher has grown redundant. He isn't needed as a PPQB (Subban) and he's no longer our best defenseman in transition (Subban, Severson). Most Devils fans are fine with keeping him, but if we're able to sign/acquire a meaner, more defensive LHD (Edmundson, Zadorov, etc.), we'd definitely explore our options with Butcher.

There may be a fit here. What do you think his value is right now? Asking price? Why have his stats have trended downwards every year?

Also, if he's worse than Subban in transition & PPQB role, that's not saying much about him. Is it b/c of Subban's untradeable contract or Butcher's inability to play those roles (better than Subban)?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

I noticed he was drafted by the Av's and then played college, did he Justin Schultz the Ave's or did they just never sign him?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The Justin Schultz option. Butcher stayed ar DU long enough to become a free agent.

LOL I get why it happens but I wish they would close that loophole it makes drafting players going to college seem risky. Anyway back on topic it would be nice ot get a competent 25 year old D on the left side I just worry what we give up to get them. I think AA was our only real expendable unless we want to move Cholo out and see if they are willing to gamble and get a piece we know will help.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The Justin Schultz option. Butcher stayed ar DU long enough to become a free agent.

It is a bit more complex than that. He wanted to sign with the Aves after his junior year but Roy told him that the organization had no use for him. He went back to DU for his senior year. Sakic tried to get him signed at the end of that year but the bridge had already been burned.

Reactions: Retire91

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
There may be a fit here. What do you think his value is right now? Asking price? Why have his stats have trended downwards every year?

Also, if he's worse than Subban in transition & PPQB role, that's not saying much about him. Is it b/c of Subban's untradeable contract or Butcher's inability to play those roles (better than Subban)?

Subban has actually been excellent in transition, and he's still a dynamic PPQB - in fact, he has been our best defenseman since Hynes was fired, and we're a ~.500 team over that period. His contract is bloated, and his production is at an all-time low, but Subban has been very good for the Devils.

None of this is an indictment on Butcher. His numbers have trended down, but that's more an indicator of his usage - he ran our PP as a rookie, and scored 23 PP points (out of 44 total) that year - last year, he was given bigger minutes and tougher defensive assignments, and he only managed 30 points. This year has just been a disaster for everyone involved, and no one is producing to expectation - I know you guys can relate.

As far as asking price, I'd probably ask for one of your surplus 2nd round picks to start, but I'm open to more creative offers.

I noticed he was drafted by the Av's and then played college, did he Justin Schultz the Ave's or did they just never sign him?

He didn't sign with the Avs, and chose to sign with the Devils. So, yes, he Schultz'd them.

What's ironic is that Alex Kerfoot spurned the Devils that same summer, and chose to sign with the Avs.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
We need another Gordie Howe who if he was still with us would be celebrating his 92nd birthday today. The greatest player of all time. Miss you big fella.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Not advocating for any of them, just options that I like.

Tyler Johnson
Sebastian Aho (NYI)
J.T. Compher
Tarmo Reunanen
Adam Lowry

----

Long shot try...Erik Brannstrom.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
At 6 million per year for 4-5 more years for a 2nd line center who gets about 0,5 points per game?

Isn't he also injury prone?

Strong pass on that.

He's not injury prone that I remember... he was healthy scratched by Laviolette a bunch, though.

I read somewhere that RNH might be available, and Kenny owes the organ-I-zation...

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
He's not injury prone that I remember... he was healthy scratched by Laviolette a bunch, though.
After the coaching change Turris looked more like a legit 2nd line center (not on a contender but certainly on the Wings). Don't forget Turris and Mantha had great chemistry at the world champs. Ultimately, Turris has negative trade value with his contract and the Wings would need to get a legit prospect/pick back with him.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
After the coaching change Turris looked more like a legit 2nd line center (not on a contender but certainly on the Wings). Don't forget Turris and Mantha had great chemistry at the world champs. Ultimately, Turris has negative trade value with his contract and the Wings would need to get a legit prospect/pick back with him.

What do you propose?

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
What do you propose?
Straight up, Turris and a 1st or 2 2nds for a bag of pucks.

But I think given Nashville's powerplay woes, they would have interest in young, cheaper, more offensive-geared players like Fabbri or Cholowski.

I think Fabbri or Cholowski could fetch Turris + Tomasino + a second or
Turris + Farrance + a first

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The only trouble I see with trading is that after AA was traded we really don't have anything I would consider excess assets to facilitate these trades. Yzerman did some great trades in Tampa but he had assets to work with. Our only real assets are prospects and picks both of which we need just as badly as anything they would bring in. Taking on a bad contract in return is almost our only trading chip.

I think a list of what assets are moving is needed before targets can settle in. For example Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi Seider our first round pick this year and next year are probably all off the table. What does that leave Cholowski, are we going to move Zadina, Valeno, or second round picks?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The only trouble I see with trading is that after AA was traded we really don't have anything I would consider excess assets to facilitate these trades. Yzerman did some great trades in Tampa but he had assets to work with. Our only real assets are prospects and picks both of which we need just as badly as anything they would bring in. Taking on a bad contract in return is almost our only trading chip.

I think a list of what assets are moving is needed before targets can settle in. For example Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi Seider our first round pick this year and next year are probably all off the table. What does that leave Cholowski, are we going to move Zadina, Valeno, or second round picks?
In any other season I would consider trading Cholo and the 2nds, but there's a chance that we can see the virus come back next winter since it appears to be endemic now. Probably best not to waste any assets this offseason.... or at least until we get a better picture of what's going on with the virus.

Assuming another tank season if there is a season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

So, would anyone be willing to make a move for Strome? or, if the Hawks are in a cap bind, maybe Andrew Shaw if we get some sweeteners on it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->