Offseason Thread vol. XIII

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Weird situation in Columbus, Jarmo said once training camp starts they will focus on the team and the players who are there. Kind of saying he won't negotiate for a while with Johansen. I wonder why he hasn't received an offer sheet yet? I wonder if teams are like us and think that maybe 1 good year is not enough yet. IMO it is not a fluke and he's the real deal but will be interesting to see what happens.

I am a big Mika Zibanejad fan but if you were the GM of this club would you trade him in a package for Johansen? Or would you try to offersheet him?

CBJ will most likely match

no point for any bad team to risk their 1st rounder this year

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Weird situation in Columbus, Jarmo said once training camp starts they will focus on the team and the players who are there. Kind of saying he won't negotiate for a while with Johansen. I wonder why he hasn't received an offer sheet yet? I wonder if teams are like us and think that maybe 1 good year is not enough yet. IMO it is not a fluke and he's the real deal but will be interesting to see what happens.

I am a big Mika Zibanejad fan but if you were the GM of this club would you trade him in a package for Johansen? Or would you try to offersheet him?

No way I'd offer sheet Johansen. Not for how much he wants + enough for Columbus to not match it.

I would definitely trade Zibanejad+ for Johansen. Depends on the + from there.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
CBJ will most likely match

no point for any bad team to risk their 1st rounder this year

Good point, 1st rounders are precious, but you think Johansen wouldn't upgrade us enough so that our 1st pick doesn't hurt too much?

And if you offer him 6+ you think they match? Don't think Ottawa would with our budget but if Florida is paying Bolland 5.5 I'd give 6 to Johansen. If not then Columbus in our conference is forced to pay a bigger price

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Personally, I would like the team to stay as is until we know what we have as a team.

Before any trades are made I would like to see how Turris handles being the #1C, see if Zibby's game has improved, see if our defensive core can get back to being respectable, see how the new additions to the team play, and to see how our young guys like Hoffman, Stone, etc. can be full time NHL'rs.

I would love to have RJ but I am dead against offer sheets, to me that is a rat move.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Johansen was scratched in the AHL playoffs and then went on to have a solid season in the NHL the following year

He isn't worth what he's asking for in terms of money so no one wants to pick up a problem child, besides offer sheets are looked down upon

Johansen being this stubborn over this should be red flags, he has done nothing except have one good year: take the bridge deal and prove you can do it again

We are a budget team, we should be staying very far from players like him and O'Reilly who try to bleed their team for as much as they possibly can as RFAs

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Personally, I would like the team to stay as is until we know what we have as a team.

Before any trades are made I would like to see how Turris handles being the #1C, see if Zibby's game has improved, see if our defensive core can get back to being respectable, see how the new additions to the team play, and to see how our young guys like Hoffman, Stone, etc. can be full time NHL'rs.

I would love to have RJ but I am dead against offer sheets, to me that is a rat move.

Yeah not a fan of offer sheets either cause I think it can bite you in the ass later but I was just asking like that, season's coming soon can't wait to talk games with everyone in here again!!!

I am a big believer in Zibanejad I think he will get to where Johansen has been this year but I'm just wondering if Johansen's ceiling is what we saw this year. I see Mika's ceiling at 30-30 IMO so I am not sure if I'd trade him for Johansen was just asking around

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah not a fan of offer sheets either cause I think it can bite you in the ass later but I was just asking like that, season's coming soon can't wait to talk games with everyone in here again!!!

I am a big believer in Zibanejad I think he will get to where Johansen has been this year but I'm just wondering if Johansen's ceiling is what we saw this year. I see Mika's ceiling at 30-30 IMO so I am not sure if I'd trade him for Johansen was just asking around

To get an offersheet that he would sign would require Ottawa mortgaging their next 4 first round picks. Something I doubt management is interested in doing given the fact that we aren't the heaviest hitters when it comes to spending.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm also super pumped about Zibanejad: I think he's going to turn heads this year and in a big way. More so from his play rather than his scoring though, I don't think he's going to hit 45 points yet.

A bit worried about his injuries (concussion and mystery illness to close out the year last year) but what can you do?

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I'm also super pumped about Zibanejad: I think he's going to turn heads this year and in a big way. More so from his play rather than his scoring though, I don't think he's going to hit 45 points yet.

A bit worried about his injuries (concussion and mystery illness to close out the year last year) but what can you do?

Agreed. I thinks he hits at least 40 this year though, if Maclean uses his power shot a bit more and with the ice time he'll get I believe in him. He would've had 20 goals last year if he played the 82 games I am pretty sure. I think he can hit at least 20 and in his good years 30

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i wouldnt be surprised to see him breakout like Johansen did last year

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Trading for Johansen would make a lot more sense than tendering an offer sheet.

I don't see the point in making the trade when Ottawa already has Turris and Zibanejad. Unless you think Johansen is better and has a higher ceiling, and Ottawa gives up Zibanejad for him (maybe they'd have to add).

First round draft picks for bubble teams will also be more valuable going forward with the new lottery rules being phased in, so I don't see an offer sheet with multiple first rounders being a wise move for Ottawa. I think Ottawa has a shot at the playoffs this year, but it's very realistic to think they could miss it. Even without tanking, this year's pick alone could bring them a very valuable player.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

I think he can but I think only 15 goals.

He's a pretty decent playmaker.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Good point, 1st rounders are precious, but you think Johansen wouldn't upgrade us enough so that our 1st pick doesn't hurt too much?

And if you offer him 6+ you think they match? Don't think Ottawa would with our budget but if Florida is paying Bolland 5.5 I'd give 6 to Johansen. If not then Columbus in our conference is forced to pay a bigger price

Yeah because that's 2 years in a row without picking a zibanejad, Karlsson, Cowen etc..

Plus I don't think RyJo will put us over the top and zibanejad has similar point potential.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
I think he can but I think only 15 goals.

He's a pretty decent playmaker.

I use to think that also, but he's shooting more, and has a real plus shot. I peg him for 30G-40A down the road.

Johansen might be better than that, some say he will be, but like someone already wrote, if he's asking for this much after one good season, how can we expect him to remain in Ottawa, especially the way BM negotiates.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see 30 - 40 output from Zib. He's going to be a little bit more productive Mike Fisher. So in the 50 to 60 range.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think Zibanejad has tremendous potential. The way he carries himself when he has confidence has shown me he has 1st line C potential.

Similarly to a Kopitar/Kesler.

Not as much offensive skill as Kopitar but that savvy way he plays on the ice.

70 point 2 way physical beast with clutch ability.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Zibanejad probably doesn't have 70P upside (most players don't, as that is elite offensive production), but he should have no problem putting up 55-65 point seasons in the future. His shot is awesome, and if the coaching staff smartens up and starts using his elite one-timer on the powerplay, he could be nearing the 30G plateau on a consistent basis. And given he's shown good vision and passing skills, along with flashes of 1st line talent, I'd be surprised if he wasn't putting up as many assists as goals in the future.

I think management realizes that it's not necessarily Zibanejad's offensive capabilities that will make him so valuable to the organization, but his potential as an all-around presence on the ice. The guy has a huge frame and can cover a ton of ice surface with his great skating and long reach. He can be developed into a terrific two-way player in the mold of a guy like Kesler, or perhaps, like has been suggested earlier, a Mike Fisher player with actual talent, which hypothetically is a very good player.

I love that Murray mentioned Zibanejad came to camp with a lot more muscle on his frame. Good first step towards a breakout season for him; god knows we need it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad