Offseason Thread vol. XIII

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yip, you're right. I got DAL on the brain. I meant STL. I'd rather have Stone or Ryan playing with Turris and Mac. Pretty much Stewart is very similar to Stone and Chiasson except he doesn't play defense. I don't know why you want to make the team one dimensional. I think we need more speed in the lineup. That's where Hoffman comes in. I wish we could have big guys with speed, but we got what we got and Hoffman is good enough for now.

First, I think both Stone who has shown a knack for playing well defensively & Chiasson who is suppose to be a god two way player are probably both better than Stewart defensively. What I like about Stewart is his size, toughness & ability to score, he could also protect Turris & MacArthur. Stewart & Chiasson are both pretty good skaters so I'm not sure what you mean by one dimensional except they are all big guys. Stone is a slick passer & smart, Stewart can score & Chiasson can back check, they are all slightly different.

There is no question that Hoffman has speed & quite frankly I think if he can translate his AHL success to the NHL than there is no need for change. However, if he can't like Connacher couldn't & others than Ottawa needs to upgrade the forward position. I'm quite sure that Puempel will get a lot of talk on here & management could also give him a shot should Hoffman not work out before they go the trade route.

[/QUOTE]I already posted before why trading Methot is a bad idea. If we're losing Methot and Condra to accommodate Stewart then this team is in huge defensive trouble. Even worst than last year.[/QUOTE]

Well we don't know what the asking price is for Stewart, somehow, I doubt it will cost Methot. IMO Methot could be a deadline deal for a pick if our young defence has developed & are playing better. If not, Methot could get his money. I also don't think losing either guys the team is worse defensively, in fact, with the addition of Legwand & Chiasson I think we will be better defensively. I also don't see Condra getting a lot of ice time quite frankly.

[/QUOTE]Actually that's the only way I see Stewart coming in, if he's a cheap replacement for Neil. The problem is that he's not cheap, and is a UFA this upcoming summer. Which adds to the problem.[/QUOTE]

I don't get all this concern that Stewart is a UFA, they can be re-signed. I assume that most think he won't want to re-sign here, why is that? Have most come to the conclusion that Ottawa is not a place where hockey players want to play although so many players have come to Ottawa & stayed here after retirement? With the cap constantly going up I also think the $4 mil 4th liner is not that far away, especially if he can score & upgrade the line.

[/QUOTE]You and HSF say he's cheap. What's this cheap price you speak of? Everything I heard of is that he's not cheap. If he was so cheap he probably be with the Sens already as BM seems to be enamoured with this guy as well. Not only not cheap in the pieces we have to pay to get him, but also in salary. Check out the list that was posted of players with similar salary. 99% of the guys on the list I would take over Stewart.[/QUOTE]

We don't know what he will cost us in assets, I assume it won't be more than a 2nd rd pick & a prospect like Hoffman. I don't think he will cost us a blue chip prospect or better put, I dont think he will cost us a prospect that is in Ottawa's future plans. Listing a bunch of players who make about the same means nothing really, who on that list is available? What would it cost to get them? Lots of things to consider, I prefer to talk about guys that are possible to get. I would love to have Kane & there is some talk that he may be available but he would certainly cost Methot, Puempel & a pick, if not more.

[/QUOTE]But you're right, there aren't many options out there right now. But that doesn't mean we have to make this move because there is nothing better out there. How about we wait and see how things go. I bet you there will be much better players available in the upcoming year that we can make a run at.[/QUOTE]

Of course, that is possible & I'm guessing that the Ottawa brass will wait at least 20 games to analyse how things are going before deciding their next move. They will want to see how their young defence is playing & how Hoffman, Stone & Chiasson are playing as well before contemplating any moves.

[/QUOTE]There is nothing "tough" about Stewart. He does fight from now and then, but not enough to consider him tough. I would advice you search the other forums about Stewart. [/QUOTE]

I could be wrong but from everything I have heard & read & seen about Stewart he is very tough & a very good fighter. He is also a hard guy to play against although he does have a work ethic issue & seems to be a bit of a floater. That may not sit well with the kind of team PM says he is trying to build.

[/QUOTE]Also, I'd like a link where the organization sees Robinson as a Neil replacement. This is the first time I'm hearing about this. Even though Robinson is big, he's a cream puff. Can't fight at all. What happened to your previous boy DD? No longer pumping his tires? [/QUOTE]

That was an opinion, with Robinson's size & speed he might make a decent 4th line player, especially if they start taking fighting out of the game, which it seems to be going that way. From the fights I have seen of Robinson he is a cream puff haha. Unfortunately for DD that fight with Orr may have ended his NHL dream. Although he could be a Greening replacement, a decent defensive forward with size & some toughness. Or he could be a career AHLer which is more likely.

If that's how you view him that's your perogative. I tend to think he's an underrated player who would bring an immediate scoring upgrade to whichever team ends up making the move for him. I'd like to be as optimistic about this teams offence, but until the kids prove they can step up we're gonna have an issue scoring goals.

I guess I'm a bit of a contrarian, but I really think if this guy ends up getting moved he'll put up 20-30 goals. Streaky scorer in a contract year for the right price? Sign me up.

All that being said, maybe I'm lower on Hoffman than most.

I think that's the key, Ottawa has a lot of young guys & we can't expect all of them to live up to the expectations, I hope they all do but chances are someone won't. I think a healthy Stewart has the potential to put about over 30 pts. Is that worth $4 mil? To some probably not, but it's the other intangibles that he brings to the table that I think could make this young team tougher & harder to play against reducing the goals against.

Buffalo may decide to keep him & trade Stafford instead or trade him to someone else for more than we offer, who knows. I think he would be an upgrade but a lot of people don't, that's what is to be expected on message boards, different opinions & arguments why or why not. Personally, I would like to see a bigger, tougher team while others prefer a faster more skilled team like the JM days.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think the nervousness of having Stewart being ufa is that the city is already in a panic over Ryan and less so Methot, I really don't think we should add to that issue. If Ryan were locked up, I'd be more on board with it.

If Stewart has a good year like we would hope he does if we traded for him, then he'll probably price us out of it. If he has a bad year, then it will probably look like a bad trade and may end up leaving anyways.

I would actually prefer Stafford over Stewart if we're willing to take on a Sabre ufa worth $4 mil.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
I think that Ottawa could do more with $4+M that C Stewart is paid than to make a trade for him..................

That is way too much money for him.......

Then again I was raised during the depression so I am cheap........

Melnyk could look else ware to spend that $4M or keep it for future needs perhaps @ the deadline...............

Just my opinion...................

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Just thinking aloud, I'm a bit all over the place with this post.

The Methot contract (and Ryan's for that matter) could be a crossroads for Ottawa. We could go captainless for the next year or two, purge Methot and Ryan, and do fairly poorly this year, get a good pick, and move on after the draft. We have guys like Turris, EK and MacArthur locked up, so there is no worrying about our core running away if we do badly (Muahaha). Guys like Englund, Lazar and Puempel will be good players in 2-3 years time, and Zib will have grown into a man, so maybe that is our real contending window. That's when we have to spend cash.

I think it's obvious now that Ryan is in "wait and see" mode to see a) if we will contend with the current make up of the team; and b)what his role on the team will be. Frankly I don't blame him. We aren't contenders as we stand now.

We could always try to sign Ryan and Methot, and cross our fingers that we've done enough to make a decent run into the playoffs. What annoys me now that I think about it, is that the Andy signing and addition of Legwand seem to be attempts at being a decent rounded team, and to hook fans into saying "oh maybe they'll surprise everyone and make the playoffs" and buy more tickets. If we aren't going to re-sign Ryan and Methot, why bother with those signings in the first place. Even then, we lack the pieces required to be a contending team in the next 3 years.

How can management say, "win the cup within the next 2 years", then sign one UFA, make one trade purging Spezza, and stick to a budget? So many mixed messages from an organization with no clear direction.

Edit - If we wait a few years then bring out some big bucks once our kids grow up, fine. But we have been mediocre since 2007 and I just see the trend continuing.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I can't watch that at work but if that's what was said or that it was the gist of it

I'm impressed in management: it would indicate they know full well that Methot wants to stay and will not give him Orpik money. Swagger, I want more of it!

**** you Capitals, you don't get to ruin other teams just because you are desperately looking for leadership :rant:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm just glad he seems comitted to either signing him or trading him. I hate seeing guys walk for nothing when it seemed clear they would never sign all along.

**** or get off the pot.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Great interview, Mckenzie asked all the right questions and Bryan's answers were upfront and informative. I really liked his answer about Ryan, he needs to play more and be given more of a role on and off the ice. He's a character guy who just wants to contribute... Interesting that he distinguished Zibanejad as their ideal #2C. It's what I expected but I'm glad to see management coming outright and saying it.... I love the implied competitive drive between Lehner and Anderson, on a winning team I think it will be an outstanding dynamic... I think it's going to be a pretty good year, we have loads of options and now it's just about using them well and succeeding.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
Lots of Good stuff.
http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?collection=72&show=440050

basically said to Methot. That he has to bring his demands down or he is gonna get traded.

He didn't word it that bluntly, but that was his message for sure. I hope Methot see's the future with this team, and doesn't go the "new team, high salary, high expectations, fan disappointment" route. Will an extra mil a year compensate for possible up and down media scrutiny over pay for play, or possibly overpay for play?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He didn't word it that bluntly, but that was his message for sure. I hope Methot see's the future with this team, and doesn't go the "new team, high salary, high expectations, fan disappointment" route. Will an extra mil a year compensate for possible up and down media scrutiny over pay for play, or possibly overpay for play?

An extra million every year over 5 years is 5 million dollars

It definitely is worth that

It all depends on how much he wants to play in Ottawa I believe: the team seems to have established how far they are willing to go at this time; it's now up to Methot to get the team to match what he's asking for through his play or to accept that playing in Ottawa means he isn't getting paid like Orpik.

That's the bottom line really: it is all in his hands from here on in.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
An extra million every year over 5 years is 5 million dollars

It definitely is worth that

It all depends on how much he wants to play in Ottawa I believe: the team seems to have established how far they are willing to go at this time; it's now up to Methot to get the team to match what he's asking for through his play or to accept that playing in Ottawa means he isn't getting paid like Orpik.

That's the bottom line really: it is all in his hands from here on in.

I wouldn't speak for Methot and say yes it's worth it or no it isn't, that's why I worded my post as an unanswered question, because we can't answer for him. I know 5 mil, if the contract length does end up being five years, is a lot of money, but these athletes keep making the same mistake as others before them. I wonder if Redden secretly wished he had signed for less and not been banished to the AHL?? That can't happen today since contracts can't be buried anymore, but the pressure from the fans, media, coaches, for a player to preform to their salary increases dramatically with the size of the contract. 5.5 mil is a big salary, only Karlsson makes more than that currently. Two names come to mind, Orpik, as well as Subban, will have a chance to experience that this season. First mistake, and the "how much are we paying this guy" is murmured. Second mistake, it gets louder.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
My point is that media negativity is well worth making an extra 5 million dollars

5 million dollars to maybe have to put up with some people, most of who have no idea what they are talking about, complaining about him making an extra 5 million dollars

I get that NHL players are competitive but this a job that allows people to be set up for life. They need to make this count and don't get another a second shot at these kinds of contracts.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
From what we know it seems like his mother dying completely changed Redden

He made 6 million dollars a year to play in the AHL because he did not want to be in the NHL. The guy was one of the best defenders in the world, he had all the skill to stay in the NHL; he did not want to.

He made the best decision for him at the time and we would all do the same

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
My point is that media negativity is well worth making an extra 5 million dollars

5 million dollars to maybe have to put up with some people, most of who have no idea what they are talking about, complaining about him making an extra 5 million dollars

I get that NHL players are competitive but this a job that allows people to be set up for life. They need to make this count and don't get another a second shot at these kinds of contracts.

I dunno.....

In the days before 24/7 TV and news, in the days before everyone and their dog had a cellphone and internet access and social media being in everyone's faces, then I could see someone going for the biggest payday.

But now.....you just can't get away from it. The constant criticism, bashing, speculation, etc, from bloggers, fans, media, etc. You're setting yourself up for one heck of a fall these days if you don't have monster-thick skin. And even if you do, chances are the girlfriend/family doesn't.

Not sure if 500k or 1 mil is worth it to guys who already make good coin.

Now if someone gets a massive payday...like 10-20+ million unearned, yeah, that kind of dough might make it scrutiny bearable.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario

I think we all get the point. :laugh:

If he signs in Ottawa for less than he's asking, so be it. If he doesn't and is traded, so be it. As long as he makes his millions.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Weird situation in Columbus, Jarmo said once training camp starts they will focus on the team and the players who are there. Kind of saying he won't negotiate for a while with Johansen. I wonder why he hasn't received an offer sheet yet? I wonder if teams are like us and think that maybe 1 good year is not enough yet. IMO it is not a fluke and he's the real deal but will be interesting to see what happens.

I am a big Mika Zibanejad fan but if you were the GM of this club would you trade him in a package for Johansen? Or would you try to offersheet him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad