Offseason Thread vol. XIII

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't know where to ask this, but i am wonder if the Sens can start talking about a new contract right now with Zibanejad or do they have to wait until he becomes a rfa?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I don't know where to ask this, but i am wonder if the Sens can start talking about a new contract right now with Zibanejad or do they have to wait until he becomes a rfa?

I believe they can, but teams don't tend to do RFA deals this far in advance. The team has all of the control, and RFA players cant just walk. It is better to wait and see what you have before putting a contract together.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I believe they can, but teams don't tend to do RFA deals this far in advance. The team has all of the control, and RFA players cant just walk. It is better to wait and see what you have before putting a contract together.

Thanks. :)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Do you guys believe any significant trade will happen from now until the start of the season?

Significant meaning top 6 forward or top 4 defender and higher.

I just think we have big log-jam on D and even forward position for nothing to happen. My dream pick-up would have to be Sharp but probably not realistic.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Do you guys believe any significant trade will happen from now until the start of the season?

Significant meaning top 6 forward or top 4 defender and higher.

I just think we have big log-jam on D and even forward position for nothing to happen. My dream pick-up would have to be Sharp but probably not realistic.

No. This is the team we have going into the season. There might be a trade during the season if things are not going well.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Not unless something sweet falls into our lap (offer from another team that we can't refuse), or unless something catastrophic happens (contract negotiations go sour, freak injury to a core player during training camp, player joins a cult and moves to rural Kansas, etc...)

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
So P Dorion called out Methot, Anderson and Ryan's agents for the ALS challenge... anyone know if they followed through?

Gotta think this is a good thing, likely means he has at least seen/talked to each of them multple times recently as i doubt they are all personal buddies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's a weird negotiation tactic...

Not at all; I think it would be a tremendous advantage if yournegotiating with someone who is cold and wet, potentially suffering from hypothermia. The trick is to catch them at the table right after they accept the challange.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Not at all; I think it would be a tremendous advantage if yournegotiating with someone who is cold and wet, potentially suffering from hypothermia. The trick is to catch them at the table right after they accept the challange.

guinness-brilliant1.jpg

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
With the extra skater guy going to Toronto and the sudden embrace of advanced stats in hockey media this summer, I wonder if any of the major sports networks or maybe even nhl.com will start tracking advanced stats themselves this year. It would be nice to have it done a bit more officially.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I was re-watching most of 2012-2013 condensed games these past couple of weeks and I'd love to get Silfverberg back and see if he breaks out with us and Zibanejad.

Silfverberg was consistently one of the best players on the ice almost every game. He'd fit our core and system like a glove just like he did his rookie year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I was re-watching most of 2012-2013 condensed games these past couple of weeks and I'd love to get Silfverberg back and see if he breaks out with us and Zibanejad.

Silfverberg was consistently one of the best players on the ice almost every game. He'd fit our core and system like a glove just like he did his rookie year.

I think Silf is going to be a great player for the Ducks. In saying that, I don't feel like he is a need for the Sens. What we lack is an elite game-breaker. Silf will offer steady defensive play, with a 20/25-20/25 statline. He would be nice to have, but is not the type of guy we are in desperate need of.

What the Sens lack is a 2002-2006 Martin Havlat. A guy who can play wherever in the lineup on the top 3 lines and provide quick-strike offense. Creates chances himself. Watching the Sens with Hossa, Alfie, Havlat, Spezza and guys like White, Bonk, Schaefer, Smoke use to be such a treat. Hell, I use to like watching Josh Langfeld plug away on the 4th line.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
I think its high time we ship out some dead weight. Greening, Condra, Neil all need to go... makes room for the younger kids. Neil could probably fetch a 3rd, Condra and Greening a fifth or sixth. I'd like to see SDC, Grant, Pageau, Prince, Puempel all get better chances this year.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I think its high time we ship out some dead weight. Greening, Condra, Neil all need to go... makes room for the younger kids. Neil could probably fetch a 3rd, Condra and Greening a fifth or sixth. I'd like to see SDC, Grant, Pageau, Prince, Puempel all get better chances this year.

Da Costa is no longer Sens property.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Unless he wants to go for a cup, and a major contender sees a use for him, why trade Neil? He's perfectly fine as a 13th forward, apparently has leadership qualities, and seems likely to consider retirement at the end of next season considering he'll be 37.

Let him and Phillips retire as Senators at the end of their deals and just be done with it.

I wouldn't trade Greening right now. Ottawa has Mac, Michalek, Hoffman, and Greening down the left side with Legwand as an option if he plays wing instead of centre. Unless someone comes out of camp and really shows something, they don't have as much depth on the left side, especially with injuries as a possibility. Greening's value is at an all time low. They don't really need the salary space right now since there is nobody to sign. Might as well give Greening another year and see what can happen.

With Legwand potentially able to take a spot on the PK, Condra could lose his spot on the team if Lazar makes it. I have no idea what his trade value is. He is a good fourth line shut down NHLer who can play the PK. But he only has a year left on his deal. Maybe a late pick in return. Maybe package him with a pick to move up a round.

Condra is better than Neil on the ice, but Neil is probably more important to the team as a total package for what he apparently brings off the ice, and how he is perceived by long time fans. It's just not worth it to rock the boat by trading him when he potentially has 1-2 seasons left in his career and can be a 12th/13th forward.

Kassian was the 13th forward last year, so that puts some things in perspective when you consider that Kassian makes Neil look like Wayne Gretzky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad