Offseason Thread vol. XI - Friend of a Friend Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think you are hoping for the Lecavalier of 5 - 10 years ago.. He hasn't been that good for a few years now.

I wouldn't mind him on a one or two year deal, but no way for 4.

No, the Lecavalier of 5-10 years ago would be our #1 center and would assure us a playoff spot, and probably a round 1 win.

You keep talking about these players like age and skill erosion wasn't a factor. Legwand, Lecavalier, Stewart.....they are all damaged goods. We got rid of Spezza, so we need to start fresh with young players who are still on the upswing. Especially if we are not going to spend.

How is Stewart damaged goods? He's 26 and would probably flourish in our system, like he did with the Avs when he got 60+ points and 25+ goals.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It is actually pretty stupid that some people are comparing Vinny and Spezza

both are completely different players who will play different roles on their respective teams

Not saying we should get Vinny but actually watch a player play before just runinng off on stats.

The same for Stewart.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Stewart is 26.... he is only entering his prime now

If by prime you mean more laziness and less scoring, than I agree.

This is not a guy you want around a young team. We need hard working players because we lack elite skill at this point.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

both are completely different players who will play different roles on their respective teams

Not saying we should get Vinny but actually watch a player play before just runinng off on stats.

The same for Stewart.

Threading water is exactly what we would be doing by switching Spezza for Levavalier. They aren't exactly the same type of player but Vinny doesn't offer us anything we truly lack if we are to go young and aren't aiming high for now.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If by prime you mean more laziness and less scoring, than I agree.

This is not a guy you want around a young team. We need hard working players because we lack elite skill at this point.

big woop he didn't work out in St louis (he did lead their team in goal scoring in the half season) he was one of the best powerforwards in the game when he was playing in a more open system like the Avs

I guess Macarthur sucks cause he was called very inconsistant coming out of toronto yet people want more players like him now here.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I like the idea of Lecav because even if he doesn't play super good (40-50 pts), that means Zibanejad would steal his spot which is good.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Threading water is exactly what we would be doing by switching Spezza for Levavalier. They aren't exactly the same type of player but Vinny doesn't offer us anything we truly lack if we are to go young and aren't aiming high for now.

He adds center depth and vet leadership..he is actually the perfect mentor for Zibby due to how he plays.

If Zibby can't play 2nd line mins then you throw in Vinny. Pretty simple to understand if you ask me.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Looks like something might be going down... All the scouts and brass are huddled around Murray on the phone at development camp apparently.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I like the idea of Lecav because even if he doesn't play super good (40-50 pts), that means Zibanejad would steal his spot which is good.

exactly and if Zibby has growing pains we have viable option to put into the 2nd line center role

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
LOL @ philly fan getting all angry and worked up that we won't take their garbage for them...just because we are broke doesn't mean we are dumb

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The same for Stewart.

I'd be ok with acquiring one or both so long as we pay nothing remotely close to a premium for them.

Vinny with 1-2 Mil retained would be a fine addition; He could step into the top 6 when an injury occurs and play a support role th rest of the time. No, he's not a top 6 guy anymore, but I think he's still worth the actual salary. If Philly retains 1 mil, he'd only be costing us 2.6 per year on average.

As for Stewart, he should cost penuts. I'd rather have him in the lineup most nights than Greening or Neil.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID

Ummmm, how about leadership? Something Spezza couldn't provide this team.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
LOL @ philly fan getting all angry and worked up that we won't take their garbage for them...just because we are broke doesn't mean we are dumb

I don't understand why philly fans take pleasure in ripping on our team. I understand why leaf or hab fans would, but i am confused why philly fans enjoy doing it. Are they that insecure that they just feel the need to insult other teams?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I don't understand why philly fans take pleasure in ripping on our team. I understand why leaf or hab fans would, but i am confused why philly fans enjoy doing it. Are they that insecure that they just feel the need to insult other teams?

It's Philly fan. LOL

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Read most of the posts in this thread. Many here think their garbage would fit perfectly in our top 6. :halp:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I went to their board

I go to the video game board and it's really funny seeing posters I get along with on there trash talk my team and, by extension, myself :laugh:

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I still stand by my comment, half of this fan base is delusional.

Vinny is perfect for this team right now. He provides a veteran presence and leadership on a team full of young kids. Sure he's got 4 years left, but to be honest you still need to ice a team. Icing a team of rookies isn't that great of a move. This at least provides a shot for the younger guys to develop properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad