Offseason Thread vol. XI - Friend of a Friend Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
He is quite good and you are wrong. Hey, this is easy! Why don't we just do this in every thread??
Nobody has put forth any evidence of him being good though. TOI has been partially referenced but that points more to a lack of depth on defence than his ability.

Prove he is good.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Anytime someone makes fun of the Sens, just say "Which team has never accomplished anything since 1967?"
Everyone will guess the Leafs, and they are half right, the other answer is St. Louis.

Remind them we gave them a team and they could not keep it and the only reason they got a team the second time around is because Clarence Campbell was a ****** that could not get over his prairie province rivalry mentality and wanted to stick it to Winnipeg.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Nobody has put forth any evidence of him being good though. TOI has been partially referenced but that points more to a lack of depth on defence than his ability.

Prove he is good.
Compared to whom Methot or Gryba???Comparing Cowen to Wiercoch is dumb ,not the same style at all .Weircoch ,s direct competition is EK and Ceci,both of whom are better than him :nod:

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014

Prove he is good.

I've already proved to myself that he's good by watching and understanding hockey as well as having a pretty good idea as to how various young players develop. Why would I care to prove something to someone who is clearly biased against the argument when I can just wait a few months for Cowen to make you look stupid? Talk to me when he's 82 games more experienced, 200 hits more physical, 25 points higher on the all time scoring list and excels playing 20 minutes a game. Or just laugh it off as an impossibility despite him doing nearly all that 3 years ago in his only truly healthy season in the nhl.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I've already proved to myself that he's good by watching and understanding hockey as well as having a pretty good idea as to how various young players develop. Why would I care to prove something to someone who is clearly biased against the argument when I can just wait a few months for Cowen to make you look stupid? Talk to me when he's 82 games more experienced, 200 hits more physical, 25 points higher on the all time scoring list and excels playing 20 minutes a game. Or just laugh it off as an impossibility despite him doing nearly all that 3 years ago in his only truly healthy season in the nhl.
I salute u sir ,points are not everything .Wiercoch isnt a better pmd than EK and Ceci and he certainly isnt a better physical shut down defender than Cowen :nod:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Anytime someone makes fun of the Sens, just say "Which team has never accomplished anything since 1967?"
Everyone will guess the Leafs, and they are half right, the other answer is St. Louis.

Remind them we gave them a team and they could not keep it and the only reason they got a team the second time around is because Clarence Campbell was a ****** that could not get over his prairie province rivalry mentality and wanted to stick it to Winnipeg.

What they say never really concerns me. They're eternal losers. That's a given.

The thing that frustrates me is they are pretty much given free reign to post whatever antagonistic stuff they please, but apparently attempting to turn it back against them makes my comments worthy of being erased.

I mean, how else are they going to learn how much they suck?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Prove he is good.

Just to play devils advocate;

He faced top 4 QOC in all 4 of the major variations of the metric: +/- QOC, Corsi QOC, Rel Corsi QOC and TOI QOC

He had the 2nd best Rel +/- and +/- on per 60 mins, second only to Gryba.

His Goals Against on ice per 60 was 2nd best on the team

His on ice goals for per 60 was 4th, not too bad for a defensive dman (though likely aided by playing with Karlsson)

Also worth noting, his pts per 60 wasn't too bad for a defensive D, ranking 93th among all D with 40+ games played, ahead of Markov, Phaneuf, Doughty, Jack Johnson, Enstrom, Erhoff, and Carlson

Note, all stats above are at 5vs5.

Now the eye test tells us he certainly had his struggles this season, but the empirical data suggests that we may be letting some particularly large blunders (of which he had a few) cloud our judgment of the rest of his play.

For a guy who has been quoted as saying he was always worrying about whether his hip would hold up, we can only hope he's back to 100% next year; confidence on the ice should go a long way to correcting some of him more egregious errors.

Last edited:

The Fuhr*

I think Cowen will be a boss defenseman soon

When he had his confidence I remember a shift where he pinched and it took him like 2-3 strides to get in the corner, he smashed someone and then had a scoring chance.

Stuff like that I enjoy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Cowen will be a boss defenseman soon

When he had his confidence I remember a shift where he pinched and it took him like 2-3 strides to get in the corner, he smashed someone and then had a scoring chance.

Stuff like that I enjoy

Too many people have written him off, even though he's admitted to playing before his hip was back at 100%. I do worry that he may not ever feel completely comfortable with it again though.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Compared to whom Methot or Gryba???Comparing Cowen to Wiercoch is dumb ,not the same style at all .Weircoch ,s direct competition is EK and Ceci,both of whom are better than him :nod:

Wier's competition are LHD and maybe Ceci given wier has played the right side. Imo Boro and Claessan are phillips,Cowen and possibly methot's competition. Boro and Cowen play a similar game if Cowen falters this season dont be surprised to see Boro step in.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ceci is not better than wiercioch right now. Higher ceiling yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad