Offseason Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I’d like to give Galchenyuk another chance, get him a 1 yr $1 mil deal. Basically zero risk as we can just bury him if he sucks, but he looked decent in his brief stint with Toronto.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
I’d like to give Galchenyuk another chance, get him a 1 yr $1 mil deal. Basically zero risk as we can just bury him if he sucks, but he looked decent in his brief stint with Toronto.
I have always liked Galchenyuk... Seems like the ceiling is so high but just cant make it click

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Theoretically yeah you can just dump someone to the AHL. But then you have a disgruntled veteran player making for an awkward situation around your prospects who ideally need to be insulated by good veterans.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So for clarification (these aren’t estimates. They are actualities which we can go by)

- Avs have $3,521,870 to spend on their final roster spot to complete a 23 man roster

- Avs have $4,271,870 to spend on their final roster spot to complete a 23 man roster

Take a minute and re-read what you posted here.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
@Richard88 will know best but I think the cap is calculated on game days. Basically take take the 81.5M per 82G and you get nearly $1M of daily cap space. This is why you see sites reference a players daily cap hit.
It’s based on how many “days” of the regular season, not “games”. Typically a full season has been around 180 days. Trade deadline is usually 40ish days before the end of the regular season which is why players acquired at the deadline typically only equate to about 20% of their actual cap hit.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Theoretically yeah you can just dump someone to the AHL. But then you have a disgruntled veteran player making for an awkward situation around your prospects who ideally need to be insulated by good veterans.

Except he did the opposite. When he was traded to Toronto and accepted his demotion to the AHL, he ended up lighting it up, was a good teammate and ended up getting called up again.

As long as the expectations are clear, it shouldn’t be an issue. Plus Galchenyuk would have to really suck if he can’t even hold a spot as the 13th forward on this club. His competition is a bunch of rookies and Compher.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Not much about the Avs on 31 Thoughts. Just a brief recap of the moves. Friedman did say people told him they're a stealth suitor for Eichel but that's probably not an option now with the moves they've made.
If they find a way to get Eichel that'd be huge. His doc is also in Denver. BTW the interview with him on the last 31 thoughts podcast is pretty good. Bad look for the Sabre's org.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I think the Avs DID have the assets and cap to get Eichel, but that ship has sailed. There’s no move they could make for him that wouldn’t seriously gut their depth. If they would’ve moved EJ, there would he a chance, but it seems they’re willing to die on that hill.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I think the Avs DID have the assets and cap to get Eichel, but that ship has sailed. There’s no move they could make for him that wouldn’t seriously gut their depth. If they would’ve moved EJ, there would he a chance, but it seems they’re willing to die on that hill.
I think they still have the pieces. They just might have to mortgage the future a bit.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's looking for term. Probably 3.5 X 3
I don’t see why Tatar does that. You have to think he expects to be making north of 4 if it’s longer term however it doesn’t appear anyone really has the money to do that right now. Would be way smarter for him to take 3.5 on one year in Colorado’s top 6 to inflate those numbers and get more bank next year than to take that 3.5 over three years right now.

If I’m a betting man he’s holding out right now because he’s hoping he gets 3-4 years over 4M right now but if that falls through I think a one year, perfect situation deal makes way more sense.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Just f***ing convince Tatar to take 1 year 3.5 and get this offseason over lol
He strikes me as this year's Hoffman. Holds out for bigger $ and/or term, can't get it, signs a 1-year deal late in the process for less than he wants as a "bet on me" type deal, and then goes out and has a good year and signs a bigger deal next offseason.

Reactions: shadow1

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I want to post this early in the thread so people know where we are cap wise. If Newhook, O’Connor and MacDonald are called up and one of Sherwood/Matteau are sent down (which I believe we all think is what to expect) it leaves Colorado with a 22 man roster (space for 1) with $3,521,870 in cap space for that final spot.

If they plan to run a 22 man roster you can add 750K to that total but with the overage problems we ran into this year along with the couple of real tight days early last year where we had to suddenly trade Cole to ice a roster I don’t expect Sakic to base his roster on this. I think there will be plenty of times he carries a 22 man roster or less to bank space but I don’t think he makes things so tight that he has no choice but run with a 22 man roster. I expect him to be sure he can fit 23 on when needed.

So for clarification (these aren’t estimates. They are actualities which we can go by)

- Avs have $3,521,870 to spend on their final roster spot to complete a 23 man roster

- Avs have $4,271,870 to spend on their final roster spot to complete a 22 man roster

Tomas.... Tatarrrrrrr

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
It’s based on how many “days” of the regular season, not “games”. Typically a full season has been around 180 days. Trade deadline is usually 40ish days before the end of the regular season which is why players acquired at the deadline typically only equate to about 20% of their actual cap hit.
Thank you! Should have googled it better. Math wise, it will be quite similar to what I put but not exactly the same. You would think during days off, they would play major games with this and send guys up and down much more often than they do.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don’t see why Tatar does that. You have to think he expects to be making north of 4 if it’s longer term however it doesn’t appear anyone really has the money to do that right now. Would be way smarter for him to take 3.5 on one year in Colorado’s top 6 to inflate those numbers and get more bank next year than to take that 3.5 over three years right now.

If I’m a betting man he’s holding out right now because he’s hoping he gets 3-4 years over 4M right now but if that falls through I think a one year, perfect situation deal makes way more sense.

We thought the same last year with Hoffman, Barrie and Hall and neither signed that big long term deal this year. All 3 signed way below what we thought they'd get last year.

Tatar is 31 is reportedly looking for term. I don't know the numbers but several people are reporting that he's looking for term and that's why he's not signed yet.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We thought the same last year with Hoffman, Barrie and Hall and neither signed that big long term deal this year. All 3 signed way below what we thought they'd get last year.

Tatar is 31 is reportedly looking for term. I don't know the numbers but several people are reporting that he's looking for term and that's why he's not signed yet.
That’s what I’m saying. None of them got that big deal so every single one of them took a 1 year in what they considered to be the best situation to help with their next contract. That’s what I’m hoping happens with Tatar

lrw2105

Aug 2, 2021
Thoughts about trading Compher+prospect/pick for Zucker or Marino from PIT as winger/RD target? Heard Hextall trying to move both of them. More term (esp. on Marino) than COL would prefer, but PIT needs cap and assets for a goalie, and either (esp. Zucker w/one year left after this year, tho it's heard to see a young-ish RD w/o a market regardless of term) would prob be easier to trade next offseason for assets, which COL needs ... Thinking of the difference between Leddy's market this offseason versus last.

Perhaps targets could be players from cap strapped contenders *with* term, who might be hot(er) commodities next offseason or the following one, rather than UFAs or 1 year rentals ... might open up more possibilities than Tatar or Debrusk.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Tatar has a bad reputation... that won't get solved by one year with the Avs. He likely see this as his last chance to get 3-4 years before likely heading back to Europe.
Avs did that a lot last year and it would be surprising if they didn't do it again this year. There were many times people were surprised to see "Logan O'Connor sent down" only to be called back up again a day or two later. Same happened with Gilbert and Sherwood and a few others.

@henchman24 and @S E P H are the true cap MVP's around here ;)

Nah mate, I am an idiot. You go above and beyond in your posts.

200.gif

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Thoughts about trading Compher+prospect/pick for Zucker or Marino from PIT as winger/RD target? Heard Hextall trying to move both of them. More term (esp. on Marino) than COL would prefer, but PIT needs cap and assets for a goalie, and either (esp. Zucker w/one year left after this year, tho it's heard to see a young-ish RD w/o a market regardless of term) would prob be easier to trade next offseason for assets, which COL needs ... Thinking of the difference between Leddy's market this offseason versus last.

Perhaps targets could be players from cap strapped contenders *with* term, who might be hot(er) commodities next offseason or the following one, rather than UFAs or 1 year rentals ... might open up more possibilities than Tatar or Debrusk.

My gut reaction on Zucker is a hard no. Speed based guy who has declined sharply. Both he and JTC have two contract years left - not sure that’s how I want to invest an extra $2 million in cap for each of the next two seasons (the difference between Zucker at $5.5 and JTC at $3.5).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I would love Tatar, especially if it meant they also shipped out J.T. Compher for...well, anything. But I know it won't happen.
The beauty of Tatar (at least on that hypothetical 3.5M contract) is that they wouldn’t even have to ship out JTC. Not that I love JTC by any means but having him playing on the fourth line as insurance is quite the luxury.

JTC really only has to go if we’re bringing in 4M or more externally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad