Speculation: Offseason Thread II: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Doubtful but I wonder if Kyle Connor (WPG) could be had. Certainly wouldn't be cheap but he's a difference maker that is signed for 6 more years and would instantly become a top line LW in Columbus. The Jets need to move salary and while I know they won't give him away I would be willing to part with prospects, picks and a roster player if that was even in play. He's a guy that Bemmstrom, Foudy, Tex, Marchenko and even Chinakhov would be in play (for me - and not all of them obviously). That's adding an elite talent, cost controlled and in a position of need with a team that has a need to reduce payroll.

Crazy thought, I know, but just throwing it out there. For me, getting "improvements" isn't where I'm at any more. I think the core is solid, we have good young talent and the best way to becoming a CUP contender (not playoff contender) is to add a piece that's elite - full well knowing it's going to cost pieces we all like.

Reactions: Fro

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I doubt we could get him or Ehlers but either one would definitely improve the Jackets. Neither would be cheap but I'm with Xogzz that a trade of a couple of prospects & picks and even a veteran for an "elite" would be a good move.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Doubtful but I wonder if Kyle Connor (WPG) could be had. Certainly wouldn't be cheap but he's a difference maker that is signed for 6 more years and would instantly become a top line LW in Columbus. The Jets need to move salary and while I know they won't give him away I would be willing to part with prospects, picks and a roster player if that was even in play. He's a guy that Bemmstrom, Foudy, Tex, Marchenko and even Chinakhov would be in play (for me - and not all of them obviously). That's adding an elite talent, cost controlled and in a position of need with a team that has a need to reduce payroll.

Crazy thought, I know, but just throwing it out there. For me, getting "improvements" isn't where I'm at any more. I think the core is solid, we have good young talent and the best way to becoming a CUP contender (not playoff contender) is to add a piece that's elite - full well knowing it's going to cost pieces we all like.
He's important enough to the Jets that they'd demand core-for-core. Or, IOW, Jones or Werenski.

And he's not good enough IMO to be worth that swap.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm not sure if this was posted, but last week Porty reported that the Jackets are out on Hoffman. Also speculated (I think...it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between his speculation and reporting) that the team would not sign any of the remaining free agents left on the market.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I don't know what the McConnell family fortune looks like, and I don't know the projections for Worthington Industries, but I can acknowledge that there are very serious questions as to whether the NHL will be able to host fans next year. BUT, that means that if the franchise can afford it, this is the time to try to obtain an elite talent from another franchise that is facing serious financial issues with another Covid winter approaching. I am looking at you ,Winnipeg.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
I don't know what the McConnell family fortune looks like, and I don't know the projections for Worthington Industries, but I can acknowledge that there are very serious questions as to whether the NHL will be able to host fans next year. BUT, that means that if the franchise can afford it, this is the time to try to obtain an elite talent from another franchise that is facing serious financial issues with another Covid winter approaching. I am looking at you ,Winnipeg.

Codename: Laine, Patrik Laine

Kekäläinen says in his latest interview when he faced question about Laine. "If he is availeble, it can be negotiable. Every team wants a player who can score 30goals"

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Codename: Laine, Patrik Laine

Kekäläinen says in his latest interview when he faced question about Laine. "If he is availeble, it can be negotiable. Every team wants a player who can score 30goals"

Unless his name is Mike Hoffman :)

Reactions: EspenK

domi28

Dec 5, 2017

Jets co-owner is Canada's richest person | Winnipeg Sun

I would be way more worried about Priest doing something drastic than I would be about any possible Winnipeg financial woes.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
In The Athletic today, Porty speculates that the 3rd D pair will be Kukan and Peeke...but also that they might struggled to get to double digits each night?? I just don't see that in what is likely to be a condensed season.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
In The Athletic today, Porty speculates that the 3rd D pair will be Kukan and Peeke...but also that they might struggled to get to double digits each night?? I just don't see that in what is likely to be a condensed season.
I mean it was the case last year, the third pair was getting very little time in some games

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I mean it was the case last year, the third pair was getting very little time in some games

As I said...very unlikely in a condensed 48 game or 60 game season. And the 3rd pair that played very little was when it included Harrington.

Just doesn't seem super reasonable to expect Seth Jones to play 28 minutes a night and 58/44 to play 22-23 minutes a night as well when this team is going to be facing a bunch of 5 games in 8 nights stretches (if the season happens at all).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think this might be the case in some games, but last year with those same players, Kukan and Peeke, they were getting 14-16 minutes a night. So getting 10 minutes? That won't be a struggle.

Last year it was close to

It could be

And it would be fine. We got horses.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
No way the jets are trading Paul Maurice favourite Connor who is signed long term foe a great number. Ehlers has IMHO he deserves more 1 line and first pp minutes byut he is also signed long term.

Laine is te way to go but I don't the you guys are willing to part with either Werenski or jOnes.

But let me put it this way IF jarmo knows he can sig Patrik long term and he knows it will be hard to sign Jones or Werenski then maybe a trade would make sense for Columbus?

Do you think Jones and Werenski are happy in Columbus and will both of them resign long term?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
No way the jets are trading Paul Maurice favourite Connor who is signed long term foe a great number. Ehlers has IMHO he deserves more 1 line and first pp minutes byut he is also signed long term.

Laine is te way to go but I don't the you guys are willing to part with either Werenski or jOnes.

But let me put it this way IF jarmo knows he can sig Patrik long term and he knows it will be hard to sign Jones or Werenski then maybe a trade would make sense for Columbus?

Do you think Jones and Werenski are happy in Columbus and will both of them resign long term?

No one is happy in Columbus. No one signs here long term. Players can’t wait to get out and play for a real franchise in a real city. But have no reason to expect Laine would be any different.

Maybe you just set me up for a sarcastic post poking at CBJ fans’ inferiority complex, so for that I apologize.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Werenski seems happy. His brother works for Honda just outside of Columbus and his parents aren’t too far away so they can attend plenty of games. He lives in a city with thousands of girls his age.

Hard to tell what Jones thinks.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm not even going to entertain the possibility of a Laine trade for either of those guys. I do not want.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
No one is happy in Columbus. No one signs here long term. Players can’t wait to get out and play for a real franchise in a real city. But have no reason to expect Laine would be any different.

Maybe you just set me up for a sarcastic post poking at CBJ fans’ inferiority complex, so for that I apologize.
Not going to lie, being unhappy with the city of Columbus was like 78.4% of why I moved out of Dayton.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Can someone explain why people says nobody wants to be at Columbus? Whats wrong with the city?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Can someone explain why people says nobody wants to be at Columbus? Whats wrong with the city?

I think most posters were being sarcastic.

I don't think its a city issue. Not really. We will never be a "prime" destination, as no teams really are from this area other than the college team. We're really in no different spot than Pittsburgh, Washington, Detroit, etc. The only reasons these teams are "destination" teams are because they have ultra stars to attract players to winning (not Detroit anymore, but around 5-6 years ago or so). And even then, who is the biggest UFA to sign with these teams in relatively recent history? Hossa in Pittsburgh and Detroit?

Another issue is some players really don't WANT to play for Torts. I'm not saying he deters players away, but his reputation is earned, and some players don't really want to deal with a coach like that if they don't have to.

Winning attracts. And yeah, the Jackets have won a lot of regular season games recently with mild playoff success, but that's not going to attract the big guns. And honestly, aside from the past 3 seasons, there have been no big guns on the market that is worth going hard after. And even this year Taylor Hall wasn't the most fawned over guy. He has warts on his game himself.

It's hard to get studs. And when you get them they USUALLY stay. We're no different. If Jones and/or Werenski walk, then maybe its time for a red alert. But Bobrovsky CHOSE to sign here once (the last contract he signed he was going to be a UFA at the end of it). Nash CHOSE to sign here once. Heck even Adam Foote CHOSE us. Only Panarin and Duchene spurned the Jackets, and we didn't really swing that hard to keep Duchene.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and Monk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: