Speculation: Offseason Thread II: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So with Koivu now on board and probable internal cap ..

Let’s say we get PLD and Gav signed up in the next week ... is any target of Cirelli now unrealistic?

I don't see why we would want him after adding Domi & Koivu

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I don't see us signing any of the remaining UFAs. Imagining Jarmo is keeping his ears to the ground to upgrade a winger if the opportunity arises.

Reactions: Dumais

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I don't like the return for Murray either but we all know "healthy" Murray is a year-in year-out gamble. The current Murray replacements could very well get plenty of ice time this year even if Murray had been kept.

Are we better with healthy Murray? Absolutely.
Would we be getting healthy Murray? History says probably not.

Braintrust clearly sees the saved money as more valuable. Either for 1) room to resign current players 2) flexibility to add someone(s) or sadly 3) just because the organization needs to save money. Pandemic hasn't been good for business

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
That’s kinda false though. The 18-19 team was very much capable of winning the cup, we got a bit unlucky with the Bruins.
Agree. That was the one team with the talent and grit to win the cup....easily the most complete team we’ve put on the ice.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If a core piece of our strategy is growing the team from within, Jarmo has no business doing a bridge deal with PLD. It needs to be a long term deal that locks up our top 6 center spot.

Under the same subject heading, if our top draft choice re-signs with the KHL its a bad look as we not only reached, we drafted someone without an intent to sign....hoping that just nothing more than a negotiation obstacle.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm assuming, barring any other trades or UFA signings, something like:
Texier-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist-Domi-Atkinson
Jenner-Koivu-Foligno
Robinson-Nash-Foudy/Bemstrom
Grigorenko and Stenlund competing for spots as well. Matteau and Gerbe likely to Cleveland.

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Kukan-Peeke
Harrington

Our defensive depth is...just gone for no reason. Well, no discernable reason beyond an internal cap from ownership.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Nyquist-Domi-Atkinson
Jenner-Koivu-Foligno
Grigorenko and Stenlund competing for spots as well. Matteau and Gerbe likely to Cleveland.

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Kukan-Peeke
Harrington

Our defensive depth is...just gone for no reason. Well, no discernable reason beyond an internal cap from ownership.

If this is our lineup when the season starts im pissed. But im optimistic about Jarmo and im pretty sure he will do trade or two. We have too many forwards and too less defenders. 1 Dman and 1 elite winger thanks!

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Choice A)

Draft an 18 year old out of the CHL.
Signs ELC at 19.
Age 19-20 he plays in the AHL (NHL if good)
Age 21 plays full time in the NHL.
At 21/22 signs a 2-3 year extension most likely under 3 mill AAV.
Age 24/25 signs 6 year contract.

Choice B)

Draft 19 year old overeager playing in KHL.
Age 19-22 signs 3 year KHL extension.
Age 23 *possibly comes over to NHL.
Age 23 signs weird 2 year ELC.
Age 25 signs ??? idk

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
After sleeping on it, I'm not as mad as I was yesterday about not going after UFAs. Jarmo had always been better in the trade market and I have a feeling that we will use one of Korpi/Elvis to get a winger.

Patrick Kane anyone. :naughty::naughty::naughty::sarcasm:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Nyquist-Domi-Atkinson
Jenner-Koivu-Foligno

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Kukan-Peeke
Harrington

Just my opinion but if Koivu is our 3C we are screwed, I would rather have Wennberg at that point. Koivu was 4C for the Wild in the playoffs and our centers are much better than theirs. I hope Grigorenko locks down the 3C spot. Our team can’t score so we need to keep guys in the lineup that can (or have the potential to) like Bemstrom. There also is no point in playing Foudy/Bemstrom on the 4th line, at that point send them to Cleveland.

Also I’m not sure why Texier is on our top line, what has he done to deserve it?

Last edited:
Reactions: DJAnimosity

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
After sleeping on it, I'm not as mad as I was yesterday about not going after UFAs. Jarmo had always been better in the trade market and I have a feeling that we will use one of Korpi/Elvis to get a winger.

Patrick Kane anyone.
:naughty::naughty::naughty::sarcasm:
Well apparently the original core 4(him, Toews, Keith, and Seabrook) are pissed about the rebuild and felt blindsided. He needs to demand a trade and waive to Columbus! Hey, we were surprised when Saad was traded here. Then were surprised when Panarin was traded here. Why not make it a trifecta and shock us about Kane.:DD

Reactions: Viqsi and MissADD

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I am not individually happy about losing any of those four players - Anderson, Murray, Wennberg, Nuti. But 90% if this board was begging for Wennberg to be benched. Andy and Murray combined to play 50 games last year in bottom 6 or bottom pair capacity, and Nuti had fallen to 7 on the depth chart.

I don’t see PLD and Gavrikov as the end of the off-season. But if that’s it for now I feel fine. And I really do not think that will max our our cap, it presents a chance for roster flexibility and mid season or deadline moves.

The very biggest need on the team has been addressed. We should now have two forward lines capable of creating offense. We did have to lose Murray and Nutivaara for nothing while saving some cap space, but we also would’ve been in a position that Carlsson was going to be exposed for nothing come the start of the season. I know we’ve all given up on him here, but Jarmo did say yesterday that he has earned a chance.

We’re adding Koivu and Grigorenko to the bottom 6, which gives us two great veteran 37 year old forwards.

It’s been a pretty drastic roster shift in the last year, but I think there is lots to like in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad