Speculation: Offseason Thread: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Other than my expressed feelings in Elvis, I really think Gavrikov is the expendable “big piece”.

Murray and Kukan (or the 1 time higher rated Nutivaara) will not have the same value due to injury concerns and perception, but, the defense is JUST AS GOOD with Kukan/Murray playing with Savard.

Don’t understand people so willing to move Savard and yet so unwilling to move Gavrikov.

Also, while we acknowledge how often Murray is hurt, we should also acknowledge just how much better the team is when he plays.

Removing Savard or Murray from the defense is WORSE for the team than removing Gavrikov, imo.
For me its Savard is almost 30 and close to peaked...

Gav is still a young 24 and on the upswing.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
We can make a Taylor Hall signing work...

p4lU3W3.png

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I’d much rather move Foudy than Gavrikov.

As for the goalies I really (my heart ;)) can’t pick, just whoever brings the better return.

Agreed on all of this. I like Foudy and feel he can be disruptive and that's a good thing to have in a lineup but if you're acquiring a forward I feel better about sending one.

And yeah I'm with you on the goalies. I don't really want to trade either but am probably to the point now that if one is coveted by a team that bring the right player in return, I'd do either.

Gavrikov I like, too, and am not overly fond of the idea of sending him out but I do feel like he counts as a big ticket piece and one I think we can absorb if needed. But yeah if you can move the forward for a forward, that makes more sense to me.

Foudy + one of Gav/Elvis/Korp

Reactions: thebus88 and CPTN71

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
For me its Savard is almost 30 and close to peaked...

Gav is still a young 24 and on the upswing.

Right, and that’s probably the same mindset any team/GM would have that would be looking to trade for Gavrikov and/or NOT Savard. But, I have a question for anybody willing to answer, who is better right now, Savard or Gavrikov?? The defense/team is worse with what guy?

Also, this idea of 1 guy at his “peak” and the other on the “upswing” (while not false) is not necessarily true. Savard has continued to progress during his career, he literally has been noticeably better even the last couple years.

Imo, Savard is better now and there is no guarantee that Gavrikov will ever be better. Yet, to many (not all) GMs Gavrikov will have more value. I’m also a vocal Ryan Murray fan and believe he should be kept, so there is direct competition with Gavrikov and believe Savard being a righty is more of a team need behind Jones other than Werenski, Murray and Kukan.

Savard isn’t 35 and he hasn’t really shown ANY regression, if anything, he’s got in better shape and plays better. Not to mention the “locker room” aspect should be brought up. How would the room handle Savard being moved??

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Right, and that’s probably the same mindset any team/GM would have that would be looking to trade for Gavrikov and/or NOT Savard. But, I have a question for anybody willing to answer, who is better right now, Savard or Gavrikov?? The defense/team is worse with what guy?

Also, this idea of 1 guy at his “peak” and the other on the “upswing” (while not false) is not necessarily true. Savard has continued to progress during his career, he literally has been noticeably better even the last couple years.

Imo, Savard is better now and there is no guarantee that Gavrikov will ever be better. Yet, to many (not all) GMs Gavrikov will have more value. I’m also a vocal Ryan Murray fan and believe he should be kept, so there is direct competition with Gavrikov and believe Savard being a righty is more of a team need behind Jones other than Werenski, Murray and Kukan.

Savard isn’t 35 and he hasn’t really shown ANY regression, if anything, he’s got in better shape and plays better. Not to mention the “locker room” aspect should be brought up. How would the room handle Savard being moved??
All valid points for sure.

I’d just rather move somebody like Foudy/Bemstrom than Gavrikov if at all possible. If it’s JG or Laine coming to us then I’ll quickly accept it either way. Fair? ;)

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm on board for Hall but I don't know how serious they'll actually be after him.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The issue of one costing assets vs. the other costing a huge contract overpay.....Give me Johnny Hockey over Taylor Hall any day except Hall’s Hart year....Now the Laine conversation is more complex and indeed another whole conversation.

Reactions: MFRONE

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
As much as it makes me extremely nervous, I would trade Savard and keep Murray. If he can just stay healthy he's a potential top line guy (deja-vu woah). Hall would be nice, but I would be very careful with term when it comes to Hall.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Not going to sign Borgstrom after trading for his rights?

According to CapFriendly Borgstrom is not eligible for an offer sheet just like Gav so we wouldn't be trading for his rights in the normal sense but just trading for him. I think the scenario is off base. You just don't basically give a guy like Murray away even if it means signing Taylor Hall. Plus you do have to sign Borg.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Not going to sign Borgstrom after trading for his rights?
According to CapFriendly Borgstrom is not eligible for an offer sheet just like Gav so we wouldn't be trading for his rights in the normal sense but just trading for him. I think the scenario is off base. You just don't basically give a guy like Murray away even if it means signing Taylor Hall. Plus you do have to sign Borg.

it was an oversight on my part. It’s not like Borgstrom will be getting a raise off of his ELC, so no major cap implications. He’d be a good prospect to target if we were to unload a defenseman for cap space in this scenario.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Kinda thinking Jarmo might be done.

2 Good young centers w/room to grow.
2 Elite young defensemen w/room to grow.
2 Good young goalies w/room to grow.
Good depth
Great coach
Great GM

I think we might be good till TDL. And considering we've made the playoffs 4 straight years...might even be contenders (if everyone keeps developing). Probably be best to wait and see if injuries pop up and see what is needed later. Sorry bummer I know. But good news, this might be the most complete team we've had that isn't full of rentals. Could be the best couple of years yet being a CBJ fan!

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Kinda thinking Jarmo might be done.

2 Good young centers w/room to grow.
2 Elite young defensemen w/room to grow.
2 Good young goalies w/room to grow.
Good depth
Great coach
Great GM

I think we might be good till TDL. And considering we've made the playoffs 4 straight years...might even be contenders (if everyone keeps developing). Probably be best to wait and see if injuries pop up and see what is needed later. Sorry bummer I know. But good news, this might be the most complete team we've had that isn't full of rentals. Could be the best couple of years yet being a CBJ fan!
There’s no way he’s done, we have too many defensemen and we still likely need a scoring winger.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
I’m also a vocal Ryan Murray fan and believe he should be kept, so there is direct competition with Gavrikov and believe Savard being a righty is more of a team need behind Jones other than Werenski, Murray and Kukan.

I am a HUGE Murray fan, but I think this is his last year here no matter what. Either he's traded, left for Seattle(close to Everett), or allowed to leave via FA, I don't see him here in any capacity after this year.

Now having said that, outside of Werenski/Jones, I think we can trade any 2 of our defenseman & not lose anything at all. Read somewhere that Torts/Jarmo think Peeke can play top 4 next year, so we'd have Savard/Murray/Gavrikov/Peeke all able to do that, which would leave the remaining 2 to compete with Nuti/Harrington/Kukan for the bottom 2. That's too many D-man & most with a good bit of value to use as upgrades in other areas(JG/Laine)

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Murray-Peeke

This is a redunkilous starting D though, & all but 1 we drafted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad