Speculation: Offseason Thread: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think Wennberg likely be bought out; there’s little reason to retain at all in a trade (if nothing’s coming back) given his buyout is only 1/3 unless it’s retention at less than 33%, so if someone’s asking you to retain more, just buy him out. Maybe there’s a team that would like him though and wouldn’t want to risk trying to sign him in free agency, and Jarmo’s trying to do that trade with no retention for future considerations (although, if that was the case, I think it would’ve happened by now) or maybe there’s some creative deal where instead of buying him out for 33%, we choose to trade with retention at 40% for a mid-round pick (or at 20% retention for future considerations) and they’re negotiating the retention amount and/or pick or something. And if it falls through, then we just buy him out.

But watch that, after all of this, we just keep him. :laugh:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Okay like the Flames but Edmonton or Detroit? What they have what we want? Larkin?
I think the goaltender situation is definitely a buyer's market. Lots of free agents and goalies available for trade. So it's more a case of them showing interest than having something in particular that the Jackets want.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yeah any trade involving one of the goaltenders that's going to bring back a piece the likes of which we'll be able to be excited about will also have to include other significant assets. A move involving merely one of the goalies I'd think would be for pick(s).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think the goaltender situation is definitely a buyer's market. Lots of free agents and goalies available for trade. So it's more a case of them showing interest than having something in particular that the Jackets want.
This. I won't be worried or disappointed at all if we end up keeping both Korpi and Elvis. The market sometimes just doesn't fit what you have or need.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Wennberg likely be bought out; there’s little reason to retain at all in a trade (if nothing’s coming back) given his buyout is only 1/3 unless it’s retention at less than 33%, so if someone’s asking you to retain more, just buy him out. Maybe there’s a team that would like him though and wouldn’t want to risk trying to sign him in free agency, and Jarmo’s trying to do that trade with no retention for future considerations (although, if that was the case, I think it would’ve happened by now) or maybe there’s some creative deal where instead of buying him out for 33%, we choose to trade with retention at 40% for a mid-round pick (or at 20% retention for future considerations) and they’re negotiating the retention amount and/or pick or something. And if it falls through, then we just buy him out.

But watch that, after all of this, we just keep him. :laugh:

I personally wouldn't mind shipping out Jenner for assets and keeping Wennberg. But that's almost certainly not going to happen, and I'm confident that Wennberg is either going to get bought out or at the last minute traded with retention.

Wennberg retained $1.4m would have similar total savings to a buy-out, but shifts the costs to the next three years and clears space in years 4-6. I would have preferred that, but now with Domi on board we're tight to the cap immediately, Domi is going to need $5m+. I think it lowers the chances of a retained trade and raises the chances of a buyout.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Gaudreau makes a lot of sense, and damn would the top six look totally dangerous then. Korpi, Savard and '21 second round pick make that happen?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I personally wouldn't mind shipping out Jenner for assets and keeping Wennberg.

At this point, even the things that the last Wennberg holdouts claim he does well, have to admit Jenner does all these same things BETTER, no?

Even though I disagree with the idea that Wennberg’s defense is better than his offense, can ANYBODY really make the argument that Wennberg should be kept over Jenner for defensive purposes??

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gaudreau makes a lot of sense, and damn would the top six look totally dangerous then. Korpi, Savard and '21 second round pick make that happen?

I think one high-end young piece like Foudy would have to be involved. And yes I'd still be interested in Gaudreau. But I'm thinking there's a good chance we're done here.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe im alone in my thoughts but I feel like I have a bit different vision than others. Id try out something like:

Texier-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist-Domi-Bemstrom
Foligno-Jenner-Atkinson
Foudy-Nash-Grigorenko

I want to see Bemstrom in an offensive role and if he can develop chemistry with Domi the payoff could be huge. I would however be quick to switch Nyquist with Foligno if that line looks overwhelmeld

Jenner would be a boat anchor to Cam and Domi's speed and skill. Unless if we trade for a 1LW, go with Texier-Dubois-Bjorkstrand / Nyquist-Domi-Atkinson as the top-6. Foligno's and Jenner's roles and usage need to be diminished.

I don't think Nyquist with Domi is going to work.

Domi needs a hard-checking winger to drag him into the battle, that was what Shaw did for him in Montreal. Nyquist needs a big center to make space for him, he struggles in tight checking. That's what Jenner does for him. Jenner doesn't help his wingers much but he does relatively more for Nyquist.

Jenner needs a smaller role but Foligno absolutely does not. Our best defensive forward last year (he was on half a dozen Selke ballots), Foligno isn't a big scorer but helps big scorers a lot more than people realize. Dubois had his best scoring run of the year with Foligno on his wing. He helps his centers more than Nyquist does.

It should go:

Foligno-Domi
Nyquist-Jenner

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't think Nyquist with Domi is going to work.

Domi needs a hard-checking winger to drag him into the battle, that was what Shaw did for him in Montreal. Nyquist needs a big center to make space for him, he struggles in tight checking. That's what Jenner does for him. Jenner doesn't help his wingers much but he does relatively more for Nyquist.

Jenner needs a smaller role but Foligno absolutely does not. Our best defensive forward last year (he was on half a dozen Selke ballots), Foligno isn't a big scorer but helps big scorers a lot more than people realize. Dubois had his best scoring run of the year with Foligno on his wing. He helps his centers more than Nyquist does.

It should go:

Foligno-Domi
Nyquist-Jenner
Eh weird things work. In the end we all know the line blender will come out so it will be interesting to see where everyone settles in. I mainly just want Tex and Bemstrom in places to succeed as we desperately need what they each can potentially bring

Reactions: cslebn and thebus88

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
From LeBrun's rumblings that just dropped:

Columbus, as our Blue Jackets guru Aaron Portzline has mentioned recently, is also expected to at least inquire on Hall. The Jackets still have a hole on left-wing after losing Artemi Panerin to free agency a year ago and they’ve got the cap room to take a run at Hall. It’s not been easy to lure free agents to Columbus but the one thing the Jackets may have over other suitors is being able to offer a long-term deal.

I’ve got a feeling other suitors may try to sell Hall on a shorter-term deal, the idea being he could head back on the market in a few years when the salary cap eventually goes back up.

For example, if a team like Edmonton came calling Friday — and I’m not saying for sure the Oilers will — but it would be the kind of situation where I would foresee a short-term approach in trying to entice Hall.

But I doubt Hall’s agent Darren Ferris will be endorsing the short-term approach for his client.

LeBrun: Matt Murray to Ottawa, Taylor Hall's suitors and other NHL rumblings

Making a run at Hall is surprising given Jarmo's recent comments about UFAs and overspending. I guess it doesn't hurt to kick the tires which means any more significant trades are probably on hold until after UFA.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Columbus, as our Blue Jackets guru Aaron Portzline has mentioned recently, is also expected to at least inquire on Hall. The Jackets still have a hole on left-wing after losing Artemi Panerin to free agency a year ago and they’ve got the cap room to take a run at Hall. It’s not been easy to lure free agents to Columbus but the one thing the Jackets may have over other suitors is being able to offer a long-term deal.

I’ve got a feeling other suitors may try to sell Hall on a shorter-term deal, the idea being he could head back on the market in a few years when the salary cap eventually goes back up.

For example, if a team like Edmonton came calling Friday — and I’m not saying for sure the Oilers will — but it would be the kind of situation where I would foresee a short-term approach in trying to entice Hall.

But I doubt Hall’s agent Darren Ferris will be endorsing the short-term approach for his client.

LeBrun: Matt Murray to Ottawa, Taylor Hall's suitors and other NHL rumblings

that came out of nowhere, at least to me

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I don't think they do unless he will come for 5 to 6 mm. See my post in salary cap thread. If Wennberg is bought out & PLD, Domi & Gav all sign on the cheap then maybe but I still think it would be an under market deal and I don't think at this point in his career he wants that.

Reactions: ClevelandJacketFan

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think one high-end young piece like Foudy would have to be involved. And yes I'd still be interested in Gaudreau. But I'm thinking there's a good chance we're done here.

Foudy + Gavrikov

Gavrikov + Merzlikins

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I mean, it makes sense...but how in the world would they have money for PLD and Taylor Hall?
-Dubi LTIR (obvious)
-Sign Domi $5m cap hit
-Sign PLD $5.5m-$6m cap hit
-Sign Gavrikov $2-2.5m cap hit
-Buyout Wennberg
-Trade Murray/Savard + Korpi/Elvis taking on $0
-Sign Hall $7.5m-$8m

Not saying they should do this. But this is a plausible situation that results in $1.5-$3.5m in cap room, with Foligno and Savard coming off the books next year.

Reactions: Toe Pick

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
-Dubi LTIR (obvious)
-Sign Domi $5m cap hit
-Sign PLD $5.5m-$6m cap hit
-Sign Gavrikov $2-2.5m cap hit
-Buyout Wennberg
-Trade Murray/Savard + Korpi/Elvis taking on $0
-Sign Hall $7.5m-$8m

Not saying they should do this. But this is a plausible situation that results in $1.5-$3.5m in cap room, with Foligno and Savard coming off the books next year.

I don't mind any of this but:

-Are we sure Gavrikov isn't going to be worth more?

-I cannot imagine that the Jackets could somehow improve the team by trading one of Murray and Savard and one of Korpi and Elvis while getting no money back.

I'm not sure Taylor Hall is worth that much to me, personally.

Reactions: GoJackets1

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Other than my expressed feelings in Elvis, I really think Gavrikov is the expendable “big piece”.

Murray and Kukan (or the 1 time higher rated Nutivaara) will not have the same value due to injury concerns and perception, but, the defense is JUST AS GOOD with Kukan/Murray playing with Savard.

Don’t understand people so willing to move Savard and yet so unwilling to move Gavrikov.

Also, while we acknowledge how often Murray is hurt, we should also acknowledge just how much better the team is when he plays.

Removing Savard or Murray from the defense is WORSE for the team than removing Gavrikov, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad