Speculation: Offseason Thread #12: Who is traded next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Can we please stop posting HERO charts as an end-all-be-all form of analysis without any context added to them. Yes, David Rundblad was highly touted going into the '09 draft, but there's a reason he hasn't stuck on the smaller NA ice surface. He lacks lateral mobility, is prone to making very poor decisions when he has the puck at the offensive blue line, pinches at poor times, and is soft on the puck in the corners. He also is prone to overthinking plays, which lead to him putting his team in poor spots rather than him making the simple play.

Don't get me wrong. I like his skillset, and I think with the proper coaching he can be molded into a good 6D, second PP-unit kind of player, but for now, he needs to be immensely sheltered and kept away from tough competition in order to pass of as a depth defenseman. Comparing his most recent 58 games as a sheltered 3D to Stralman's 155 as a top-pairing defender is pointless.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah he posted here for awhile. Looks like he hasn't posted since 2014 though

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/member.php?u=59557

Rangers want players in the 23-27 range. Immediate help that's in their prime.

It's an organizational mandate coming from Jimmy D on down.

Problem is teams won't give up a piece like that unless they get something sweet in return.

Rangers also won't help a team that they would he competing directly against.

So unless BUF or DET grossly overpays.... No Nash to BUF or DET.

He's going out west.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Can we please stop posting HERO charts as an end-all-be-all form of analysis without any context added to them. Yes, David Rundblad was highly touted going into the '09 draft, but there's a reason he hasn't stuck on the smaller NA ice surface. He lacks lateral mobility, is prone to making very poor decisions when he has the puck at the offensive blue line, pinches at poor times, and is soft on the puck in the corners. He also is prone to overthinking plays, which lead to him putting his team in poor spots rather than him making the simple play.

Don't get me wrong. I like his skillset, and I think with the proper coaching he can be molded into a good 6D, second PP-unit kind of player, but for now, he needs to be immensely sheltered and kept away from tough competition in order to pass of as a depth defenseman. Comparing his most recent 58 games as a sheltered 3D to Stralman's 155 as a top-pairing defender is pointless.

in terms of point production and shot generation, Rundblad is a very good defenseman...the back end...well, lets be honest here...is he any worse than Girardi? Boyle? Staal? Those 3 were MISERABLE in their own end. So is it better to have someone miserable at defense and good on offense, or someone who is miserable at defense and miserable on offense?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I think HERO charts are very good if used within context. For instance, Rundblad was likely sheltered with 3rd pairing minutes. In that role, he excels. Give him the same minutes that Stralman plays and those numbers will go down drastically.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think the course of this team is going to be set by Vesey. if they sign him I think you should expect 2-3 more drastic moves made by the front office. i think if they miss out on him, they will make MAYBE 1 more trade...

Theyve got cap space, and guys who, apparently, have low value...they are better off waiting till the deadline to fix/trade pieces away for higher value.

However if they Sign Vesey then they can move another forward or 2 and use them to fix the defense back up.

Can you trade Nash, Staal, and Fasth or something for a good defenseman or 2?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think HERO charts are very good if used within context. For instance, Rundblad was likely sheltered with 3rd pairing minutes. In that role, he excels. Give him the same minutes that Stralman plays and those numbers will go down drastically.

Exactly, but the issue is that an extremely large section of fans post these charts as if they're directly comparable and context is irrelevant because numbers are numbers, which is obviously insane.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Oh absolutely, they're great when context is applied. But that's the key, context needs to be applied rather than just posting the chart.

in terms of point production and shot generation, Rundblad is a very good defenseman...the back end...well, lets be honest here...is he any worse than Girardi? Boyle? Staal? Those 3 were MISERABLE in their own end. So is it better to have someone miserable at defense and good on offense, or someone who is miserable at defense and miserable on offense?

I forget what silverfish posted a year or so ago regarding the zone starts, but Rundblad was easily the most sheltered Blackhawk's defenseman by a wide margin. He started almost 70% of his shifts in the offensive zone, and as an offensive defenseman playing with those teammates, he should have good shot-attempt based metrics. His most common partner was Duncan Keith, and his most common linemates were Shaw and Bickell, who didn't score with him on the ice. Most of Rundblad's offensive production came with Kane, Sharp, and Richards on the ice.

Is Rundblad a by-product of those players and starting a ton of his shifts in the offensive zone, or is he actually helping drive possession?

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Exactly, but the issue is that an extremely large section of fans post these charts as if they're directly comparable and context is irrelevant because numbers are numbers, which is obviously insane.

Oh I knew the numbers were skewed by the minutes but I didn't expect them to be skewed to that degree.

I could check other stat pages but I am still getting familiar with all those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad