Speculation: Offseason Thread #12: Who is traded next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Newsday is no longer part of the MSG properties owned by Dolan. You would think Zipay would have all of the Rangers connects since the paper and team were owned by the same entity. It was the opposite. Altice owns the cable company and the newspaper.

The only one in that group with a clue and any sources is Brooks.
What about John Dellapina?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers traded Cam Talbot and a 7th(#209-Ziyat Paigin)to Edmonton for #57,#79 and #184. They traded down with the Caps. #57 to the Caps for #62 and #113. The Rangers selected Robin Kovacs with #62,Sergei Zborovskiy with #79,Brad Morrison with #113 and Adam Huska with #184. Kovacs looks like he should be an NHL player. A top 9 forward. The Rangers acquired a 3rd in the Nash trade which they used to select Pavel Buchnevich. The Rangers acquired a 6th in 2016 and a 4th in 2017 for Keith Yandle signing with the Panthers. The Rangers selected goaltender Tyler Wall with the 6th. UMass-Lowell freshman. The Rangers acquired a 4th in 2016 from Arizona in the Yandle deal. Tarmo Reunanen was the selection. Tarmo would have been a 1st/2nd rounder if he didn't miss 5 months. You wanted more for Talbot. He played for 1/2 as a #1 and was only one year away from group 3. The Rangers acquired 4 pieces for him. You can look at it both ways. Kovacs. Maybe the Russian D makes it or Huska is the next Cam Talbot. If Kovacs becomes a better offensive and more pesky/agitating version of Hagelin in the Rangers next core group,then it's a great trade. Reunanen was right there with Olli Juolevi in Finland prior to 15-16. The talent is there. The Rangers have landed good players who have fallen in the draft due to injury or perceived attitude issues. I heard a Finnish hockey writer compare Reunanen to Kimmo Timonen. Reunanen spends 2-3 seasons in Finland before coming to the NHL and becomes the top young player he was projected to be prior to the disk issue near his butt,the first Yandle trade does not look so bad. Reunanen could be the better player in 3-4 years while the Panthers are stuck with the contract. The more draft picks the better.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gorton said he is more patient than Sather. It was not a knock on Sather. Gorton made those comments to Craig Custance. Before he made the Zibanejad trade,my family was telling me Gorton is thinking too much and he is afraid to pull the trigger. After the trade it was "see Gorton got a really good deal by waiting and being patient". That Brassard trade was made in June. I read on twitter Brassard told people at Dominic Moore's ping pong charity event last Thursday that he knew about the trade in June. He didn't say anything. When the trade was announced,no one contacted Brassard to tell him. MSL was first to call him after the trade was announced. Brass already knew about the trade. Ottawa wanted the Rangers to pay the $2M bonus on 7/15. Brassard didn't want to say anything to make Ottawa look bad. The Rangers got a 2nd for paying the bonus.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't know if it's just my own impression, but it seems NYR have done a better than average job of drafting, especially in the middle rounds, since the 05-06 lockout.

I that vein, RB is right in that collecting middle picks for little things like the rights to Yandle can really be beneficial.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Gorton said he is more patient than Sather. It was not a knock on Sather. Gorton made those comments to Craig Custance. Before he made the Zibanejad trade,my family was telling me Gorton is thinking too much and he is afraid to pull the trigger. After the trade it was "see Gorton got a really good deal by waiting and being patient". That Brassard trade was made in June. I read on twitter Brassard told people at Dominic Moore's ping pong charity event last Thursday that he knew about the trade in June. He didn't say anything. When the trade was announced,no one contacted Brassard to tell him. MSL was first to call him after the trade was announced. Brass already knew about the trade. Ottawa wanted the Rangers to pay the $2M bonus on 7/15. Brassard didn't want to say anything to make Ottawa look bad. The Rangers got a 2nd for paying the bonus.

The Brassard deal is a very important and telling move. It's why I am willing to be patient, and am actually looking forward to Horton's next move. No, Nash hasn't been moved, and Staal and Girardi are still here. But, the trade for Ziba makes good on the belief that the Rangers are looking to get younger moving forward.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers traded Cam Talbot and a 7th(#209-Ziyat Paigin)to Edmonton for #57,#79 and #184. They traded down with the Caps. #57 to the Caps for #62 and #113. The Rangers selected Robin Kovacs with #62,Sergei Zborovskiy with #79,Brad Morrison with #113 and Adam Huska with #184. Kovacs looks like he should be an NHL player. A top 9 forward. The Rangers acquired a 3rd in the Nash trade which they used to select Pavel Buchnevich. The Rangers acquired a 6th in 2016 and a 4th in 2017 for Keith Yandle signing with the Panthers. The Rangers selected goaltender Tyler Wall with the 6th. UMass-Lowell freshman. The Rangers acquired a 4th in 2016 from Arizona in the Yandle deal. Tarmo Reunanen was the selection. Tarmo would have been a 1st/2nd rounder if he didn't miss 5 months. You wanted more for Talbot. He played for 1/2 as a #1 and was only one year away from group 3. The Rangers acquired 4 pieces for him. You can look at it both ways. Kovacs. Maybe the Russian D makes it or Huska is the next Cam Talbot. If Kovacs becomes a better offensive and more pesky/agitating version of Hagelin in the Rangers next core group,then it's a great trade. Reunanen was right there with Olli Juolevi in Finland prior to 15-16. The talent is there. The Rangers have landed good players who have fallen in the draft due to injury or perceived attitude issues. I heard a Finnish hockey writer compare Reunanen to Kimmo Timonen. Reunanen spends 2-3 seasons in Finland before coming to the NHL and becomes the top young player he was projected to be prior to the disk issue near his butt,the first Yandle trade does not look so bad. Reunanen could be the better player in 3-4 years while the Panthers are stuck with the contract. The more draft picks the better.

Two--Kovacs, Zborovskiy--of the 4 draft picks who eventually came out of the Talbot trade have already progressed to the point where the Rangers have signed them. Huska was going to be a college player so there's no signing yet but he had a fantastic year in net for the Green Bay Gamblers and it probably won't be very long before he's UConn's No. 1 goalie. That leaves Morrison who had a pretty good year and finished strong. He needs to take another step this year and if he can then there's a good chance he'll be signed too. Even so it would have been nice if the Rangers had gotten a 1st for Talbot. It didn't happen but Gordie Clark seems really good at what he does. There are players that bust but he almost always seems to find gems deep in the draft. Day was a really good pick where we got him. Reunanen was an outstanding pick where we got him. Gettinger could be a great pick. I even like the rest of his picks particularly Ronning.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The Brassard deal is a very important and telling move. It's why I am willing to be patient, and am actually looking forward to Horton's next move. No, Nash hasn't been moved, and Staal and Girardi are still here. But, the trade for Ziba makes good on the belief that the Rangers are looking to get younger moving forward.

And that they're targeting the right kind of players. Not just getting younger for the sake of getting younger, but they're looking to add players with a high pedigree. I'll take a guy like Zibanejad and a future 2nd over a 1st rounder any day.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Barrie is 3 years away from group 3.

3 years? I thought he was 2, he becomes a group 3 at the age of 27 regardless of having 7 years of pro experience or not. I know the whole birthday thing is kind of weird.

I'm not 100% sold on which it is.

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
And that they're targeting the right kind of players. Not just getting younger for the sake of getting younger, but they're looking to add players with a high pedigree. I'll take a guy like Zibanejad and a future 2nd over a 1st rounder any day.

I agree, however they do have to be a little careful not to have too many RFA players who will all need to have UFA years bought up all within a year or two of each other.

If they are in fact moving towards futures, I'd like to see them add to the Buch, Skjei, Graves group, players that are not even at the bridge stage yet. Try to find "on the cusp" players (who would be expansion exempt) that are just behind the current group of Zibanejad, Miller, Hayes, Fast, Lindberg, McIlrath.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
3 years? I thought he was 2, he becomes a group 3 at the age of 27 regardless of having 7 years of pro experience or not. I know the whole birthday thing is kind of weird.

I'm not 100% sold on which it is.

You become an UFA if you are 27 on July the first. Barrie just turned 25 yesterday, so it should be 3 years.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree, however they do have to be a little careful not to have too many RFA players who will all need to have UFA years bought up all within a year or two of each other.

If they are in fact moving towards futures, I'd like to see them add to the Buch, Skjei, Graves group, players that are not even at the bridge stage yet. Try to find "on the cusp" players (who would be expansion exempt) that are just behind the current group of Zibanejad, Miller, Hayes, Fast, Lindberg, McIlrath.

That'd be ideal, but if they're still on the "remain competitive" train that might not be the main goal. It might not even be feasible with some of the assets they're likely trying to move. I'd love to add Honka or Montour to the fold, but I wouldn't have a problem with a guy like Dumba or Barrie either, even if we'd have to work the budget a little bit.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
You become an UFA if you are 27 on July the first. Barrie just turned 25 yesterday, so it should be 3 years.

200_s.gif

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'd give Barrie the Yandle contract

I'd give him the years, but I'm hesitant to give that kind of money to a guy who is a train wreck on the defensive side of the puck. Though it might be nice to have someone to point to and say, "See? That's what bad gap control actually looks like." :laugh:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'd give him the years, but I'm hesitant to give that kind of money to a guy who is a train wreck on the defensive side of the puck. Though it might be nice to have someone to point to and say, "See? That's what bad gap control actually looks like." :laugh:

Boyle last season was perfect for that

CbHYSqjWcAAO-fx.jpg

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I think they are targeting those players with at least 2 of the remaining veterans, particularly Nash and Staal. The remainder of guys that need to be sold off--Klein, Zuccarello, Girardi--will be used to acquire picks especially since the former 2 players are budget friendly, and that's where they'll be worth higher picks (1st rounders in particular).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad