Speculation: Offseason Thread #11: Catchy Title Incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm not seeing a situation like we did with Zherdev. $500,000 is not that much of a chasm.

Nor am I. But remember, when the two sides couldn't reach agreement there, the Rangers chose to let Zherdev go; they walked away from the arbitrator's award.

My guess on possible outcomes in order of likelihood?
- 50% Rangers sign him to a 5-year deal with an AAV between $4.75MM and $5.00MM
- 30% Rangers sign him to a 3-4 year deal somewhere in the $4.25-$4.75MM range, depending on the years.
- 15% They go to arbitration, and the Rangers accept the arbitrator's award for 1 year, making him an RFA again next year.
- 5% they trade him prior to arbitration.
(Note that if they go to arbitration, I think it a lot more likely that they THEN trade him during the year than if it would be if they sign him to a multiyear deal.)

I don't see any scenario where they walk away from an award as they did with Zherdev.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Nor am I. But remember, the Rangers chose to let Zherdev go.

My guess on possible outcomes in order of likelihood?

50% Rangers sign him to a 5-year deal with an AAV between $4.75MM and $5.00MM
30% Rangers sign him to a 3-4 year deal somewhere in the $4.25-$4.75MM range, depending on the years.
15% They go to arbitration, and the Rangers accept the arbitrator's award for 1 year, making him an RFA again next year.
5% they trade him prior to arbitration.
(Note that if they go to arbitration, I think it a lot more likely that they THEN trade him during the year than if it would be if they sign him to a multiyear deal.)

I don't see any scenario where they walk away from an award as they did with Zherdev.

I think your first outcome is the likely one.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Could still sign and trade him.

Because sign and trades happen all the time.

It is bad business to pull those shenanigans for future players whether it be re-signing your own or signing a UFA (even though you cannot trade them immediately it still makes the organization look distrustful and/or they end up demanding a NMC to sign which we dont need any more of)

A little surprised by Richards retiring. Thought he would play 2 more years for cup contenders on the 3rd line.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
if im the rangers i offer Kreider an 8 year deal, take him right though his entire prime years.

Cap hit of 4.625

This is closest to what I advised several pages back.
8 yr deal
Start around 3.5, add .4 per yr, in 5 years = 5.5m per
last 3 years are 5.9, 6.3, 6.7

after 5 yrs, player can buy out for 1 mil on one year's advance notice.
Rangers get first dibs to match any new number, though its just dibs.
That's what I consider fair.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Bad Richtard fell off a cliff on Broadway.
So Sather

Before and when we signed him there were a bunch of people explaining why he was likely to age gracefully and thus would be a good pickup. Us being the Rangers, of course it still didn't work out.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
People really come down on Brad Richards and reference his sharp decline.

The bottom line is he helped this team to an ECF and a SCF appearance. And imo the Rangers shouldve beaten the Devils to make it two SCF appearances. Also imo that SCF went to multiple OTs and had some bounces gone the other way the team couldve come away with the wins instead of the Kings. Regardless of fancy stats and the type of game the kings played in that series, the rangers very much were in it to win, and no matter what you say about his decline, Brad Richards wouldve been a part of it.

I think his leadership overall helped transition the core's maturation into a serious playoff contender during his tenure here. I have nothing but gratitude and respect for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad