Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Lucic will come back, have a decent year and have a change of heart like Trouba did in Winnipeg.
No, his prime motivation will be to play well enough next season to boost his trade value out. Will help both parties to ship that 6M anchor contract out. He only signed in Edmonton of all places to play alongside McDavid. That's not happening anymore because he can't keep up.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agreed, that was a problem. If the issue is not using the space (roster and cap) effectively, then yes they failed. If it's just "why buyout Pouliot" we know why.

Edit: I get the inclination to say "but they could have used him", however the organization was utterly finished with the player, full stop. Not replacing him was the problem

Apparently the org was finished with Hall too. Sometimes they need to step away from the emotion and not allow that to drive decision making.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yep. If they wanted to buy him out this would of been the year to do it. Didnt need the capspace last year and you could hope he would bounce back enough where you could trade him this year with a bit of retention and get back something.
A central benefit to waiting a year on the buy-out is we'd be carrying a 2 year buy-out penalty instead of the 4 year penalty we have now.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Apparently the org was finished with Hall too. Sometimes they need to step away from the emotion and not allow that to drive decision making.
:facepalm: for **** sakes you guys. Whatever I don't really care, it was almost a conversation. Whatever, there's no need to "worry" the season is already over, we just have to wait for things to happen so everyone can get fired and such.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
:facepalm: for **** sakes you guys. Whatever I don't really care, it was almost a conversation. Whatever, there's no need to "worry" the season is already over, we just have to wait for things to happen so everyone can get fired and such.

Holy hell...what triggered you?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Holy hell...what triggered you?
What the **** are you talking about? Like a said, it was almost a conversation about the organization and some failings and choices, and then is became a mythologized narrative, so it's fine to just let go.

Again, the season is over, we've been talking about this for a while. And when that comes to pass most people in the organization will be fired and the team can start a new. Not really sure why anyone is upset with this.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What the **** are you talking about? Like a said, it was almost a conversation about the organization and some failings and choices, and then is became a mythologized narrative, so it's fine to just let go.

Again, the season is over, we've been talking about this for a while. And when that comes to pass most people in the organization will be fired and the team can start a new. Not really sure why anyone is upset with this.

I am talking about your incongruent over the top response. Instead of detailing what specifically you disagreed with you got triggered and went on a rant.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
If you don't want him on the AHL squad you can just loan him elsewhere and I still think he's a good character vet for mentoring purposes, I think all AHL teams need atleast one veteran D in the vein of someone like Gryba. I don't think you can simultaneously develop 6 d-men at the same time in the AHL, young D need some mentoring and sheltering, you tend to be better off developing less d-men, but ensuring the environment for development is ideal for the ones with real shots at an NHL job.

I get what you're saying and agree that he has value in that type of a role. I just don't think it's a unique enough skillset to say that loaning him out is going to be easy to do. Character and toughness are great, but how many 30+ players can you say that about? Maybe they go with someone internal...or take loaner from somewhere else with a similar skillset but on a 1 year deal instead of 2...or maybe they want a guy with character but more offense...or his exact skillset but SOME NHL upside left. I dunno, I just don't see it as a sure-thing.

We are at 39 contracts now, 38 after the Gryba buy-out, with only 2 important RFA's to sign, after they are signed we'll need 3 more bodies to fill out the rest roster, putting us at 41 contracts and we should be able to move out Montoya for a song to bring us down to 40 contracts. I don't think we are going to find 10 players worthy of NHL contracts before this next season concludes, if Chia actually uses all our contract spots and makes many quality signings, maybe you can convince me this extra contract spot was the difference, but I very much doubt that will be the case.

See and I'm leaning the other way. Every contract spot is a lottery ticket...some tickets may be Big Brothers Dream Home, some meat-draw-at-the-Legion, but either way it's a ticket. On June 21st the low # of contracts really doesn't mean anything, but I strongly suspect that by the trade deadline we'll be back into the late 40's.

I'm fine doing a solid for a good soldier, but he's only paid $250K above league minimum it'd be cheaper just to retain salary on him if another team was interested, the only advantage to Gryba in doing it this way is he is expecting not to get a formal contract and wants to try for one with a PTO. Ultimately Chia has a greater responsibility to this team than he does to Gryba and I think just the offer of retaining money on his already fairly modest contract is enough of a solid.

Like #1 though, this is predicated upon another willing team in the mix. What if there wasn't one?
And even if there were, if we're retaining salary anyway what type of savings are we really talking about? We retain 150k/y and we're saving ourselves 150 off the original 300? IF we find a dance partner? I mean...okay...yeah, that's a slightly better scenario, but it's also got an 'if' attached to it. And at the end of the day if all we're talking about is a 150k difference...?

I'm also 100% confident that if he had retained salary we'd have a whole pile of people acting like THAT was the end of the world.

It's $600K, $300K each of the next two seasons and I care. I badly want this team to succeed and I want a GM who is looking at every single advantage at his disposal to make it happen. It may be a relatively small sum, but $300K can be the difference between landing the UFA you want or not getting him. Ryan Smyth was traded for what ended up being a grab bag of **** over a $500K difference, Tobias Reider was traded for Kale Kessy because there was rumored to be about a $60K gap between the two parties. It's also not a one off issue with Chiarelli, it's a constant issue with just small cuts here there and everywhere perpetually making us worse. Cause of Chia's poor cap management in Boston they went into a season with almost $5 Million in cap overage penalties.

My recollection of the Reider situation was that he requested a trade because of the young talent we had ahead of him on the depth chart? Either way though, I know what you're saying and I don't disagree that all cap space is valuable. I just don't believe this decision was made willy nilly. Chiarelli's pretty far from perfect, but he's not a total moron and I don't buy that he woke up this morning and said 'buy him out'; where trading/burying Gryba was never even considered. They obviously decided 300k/y was a price worth paying, all things considered. Maybe they end up wrong about it, but either way this is mountain-out-of-a-mole hill zone we're in.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Like most, I don't get the Gryba buyout because of the cap hit over the next couple of years. Burry the contact and use him as an emergency call up or some toughness/protection in the minors.

If a former 1st overall pick and now Hart trophy winner gets you a second pairing defenseman.
If a 16th overall pick plus a second rounder gets you an AHLer.
What does the 10th overall pick get you?
Somewhere in the middle?
So why are we expecting top defenseman for it? The only way that happens is if the player has issues or is on the last year of their contract.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Like most, I don't get the Gryba buyout because of the cap hit over the next couple of years. Burry the contact and use him as an emergency call up or some toughness/protection in the minors.

If a former 1st overall pick and now Hart trophy winner gets you a second pairing defenseman.
Somewhere in the middle?
So why are we expecting top defenseman for it? The only way that happens is if the player has issues or is on the last year of their contract.

If these are the parameters of a trade, then you keep the pick. NO MORE TRADES (except LUCIC).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Somewhere in the middle?
:facepalm: They'll probably trade it for Ceci and do Ottawa a favor

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Canadian NHLers are such wusses when it comes to pressure, oh no i played like crap and their onto me and by giant paycheque, i better just bail.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Oh my Odin some posters complaining about Gryba . We only gain $300k/per year on cap space ,is that extra money going to kill us.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
good bye Gryba

buying him out makes ZERO sense

his 900k can be burried on the farm with no impact at the NHL level--that 300k though that now does

this is f***ing stupid

we are buying a guy out that we do not have to and adding 300K we do not have to

Reactions: McCanovin

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
good bye Gryba

buying him out makes ZERO sense

his 900k can be burried on the farm with no impact at the NHL level--that 300k though that now does

this is ****ing stupid

we are buying a guy out that we do not have to and adding 300K we do not have to

saves Katz real money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad