Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread 3 - No draft trades? We're all gonna die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
McClement got $1.2M for being a 4th line C so that's kind of the going rate. $1.425 is a probably $200K high, but given that Ryan can slot up the line-up in a pinch (even though I don't want him there full time at all), it's not too outlandish.

And I don't get the "Francis is getting to the Cap Floor" comments. The Canes aren't going to have a problem getting to the cap floor. Even if it means taking on a dump and an asset (ie..TT and Bickell), I don't think they are paying extra just to hit it. I think this is more of a safety net signing...ie...I want to improve the forward group, but I have to make sure I at least don't make it worse.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Ryan's not our 4th line C. He'll be in the top 9. He'll be leeching points off of Jeff Skinner again and will get an even bigger raise next year. They'll see him with his 38 points (13 goals) gained with first unit PP time and 75% offensive zone starts playing with a 35 goal scorer and think they have to keep him.

2 years, $2.5M/yr next year. Calling it now.

He's the luckiest player in earth to wind up in this organization. No other team could have put him in the position that we did.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The next big hurdle comes in 2 years with Skinner and then 3 years with Faulk.

Don't forget about Aho....he'll get a new deal when Skinner does.

2019-20 is a critical year for the team, cap-wise. If everybody gets signed at near market rates and we bring in about $8 million in salary (1 third liner and one top 6 guy), then we're going to likely be within abtou $3 million of the cap.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If anything I think adding another $1.5 million player is an indication that Francis wants to add a single more expensive piece to the roster rather than multiple $2-4 million Stempniak-types.

Assuming that zero prospects fight their way onto the roster, there are only 2 more Roster spots with ~$5 million to spend. That is before a Lack buyout/trade which will free up another $2-2.75 million.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
McClement got $1.2M for being a 4th line C so that's kind of the going rate. $1.425 is a probably $200K high, but given that Ryan can slot up the line-up in a pinch (even though I don't want him there full time at all), it's not too outlandish.

And I don't get the "Francis is getting to the Cap Floor" comments. The Canes aren't going to have a problem getting to the cap floor. Even if it means taking on a dump and an asset (ie..TT and Bickell), I don't think they are paying extra just to hit it. I think this is more of a safety net signing...ie...I want to improve the forward group, but I have to make sure I at least don't make it worse.

This is how I see this too...Ryan is either 3C, 4C, or #13 F. I also agree with what geehad said earlier, there's a benefit for making a younger Checker compete to make the team. One thing I do trust Peters and team to do is slot youngsters appropriately. If they're ready they'll play in an appropriate role.

Last year isn't necessarily the defining point for this year. Roster was not going to get the "help" that this season's roster is slated for. If a signing like Bonino or Gagner happens, it still doesn't impact the competition between a guy like Wallmark and whomever.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Curious how RF handles moving Lack's contract. I assume it'd ideally be a Khudobin for Wiz type deal (now that we've used all our picks), but for a forward instead. Not sure what trade candidates are out there though.

And the DR deal is fine with me, gets another right-handed center in the lineup at least. Ideally we could bring back Williams in free agency to avoid any over slotting. I could see offering a front-loaded deal, something like 2 years for 7.5m, pay him 4.5m in year one.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Ryan's not our 4th line C. He'll be in the top 9. He'll be leeching points off of Jeff Skinner again and will get an even bigger raise next year. They'll see him with his 38 points (13 goals) gained with first unit PP time and 75% offensive zone starts playing with a 35 goal scorer and think they have to keep him.

He's the luckiest player in earth to wind up in this organization. No other team could have put him in the position that we did.

Personally I actually think he deserved his spot in the NHL last season and this season. He wasn't very consistent last year, but he had spurts of some damn good hockey. The guy has worked his ass off to get to where he is now, I guarantee you he would of gotten at least $1m in free agency from a handful of teams. It's not ideal that he plays on our top 6 obviously, but I view him as a good depth player.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I'm curious why is everyone penciling in that Lack is going to be the one to go? And not Ward?

Though at this time I do hope we keep Ward for the sole purpose of loyalty and that I think he can be an okay goalie in a backup role.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm curious why is everyone penciling in that Lack is going to be the one to go? And not Ward?

Though at this time I do hope we keep Ward for the sole purpose of loyalty and that I think he can be an okay goalie in a backup role.

Because Lack was injured much of last year. I don't think Peters is going to be happy bringing in a brand new starter (for Canes and Darling personally) and backing him up with a guy that has serious recent injury issues. Ward makes a lot more sense as a veteran, reliable (at least more-so than Lack) backup.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah it's whatever if it's one year.

Disappointing that the moves weren't there to take advantage of the cap space, but if they aren't, you've gotta get to the floor somehow.

Moves? Like Jagr?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Wondering out loud if there's anything to the minor chatter about James Neal. Ideally, we send a player/prospect and a pick to VGK. Interestingly enough, as many picks as they had this draft, they only have 5 in 2018. That one year he has remaining would essentially get us to the floor and give us some breathing room. Sure we might lose him next season, but maybe not.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Staal could probably score 20 more points if he got his *** in front of the net on a more regular basis. He gets a lot of scoring chances (and goals) when he sits in front of goalies, but he hardly ever does it for some reason. It mystifies me.

One reason Staal is a good player but a frustrating one.

Aho Staal Lindy was a really good line but I'd want to move Aho and Lindy with another C for a period to see if they can generate more offense.

Maybe try Aho or TT at C with Lindy on the RW and just give Jordan the hard minutes and expect 35 pts.

I like to pursue Vrbata or even Vanek and get Staal berg back.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Because Lack was injured much of last year. I don't think Peters is going to be happy bringing in a brand new starter (for Canes and Darling personally) and backing him up with a guy that has serious recent injury issues. Ward makes a lot more sense as a veteran, reliable (at least more-so than Lack) backup.

But at the same time Ward has the more extensive injury history? Lack's injuries were two unlucky concussions and the AA collision at the end of the season where he ended up being okay.

Side note: I'd prefer to keep Ward here just because loyalty.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

I think it's simply because in the past 2 seasons, Ward has been the better goalie. We can argue that Lack didn't get as much of a chance, or that Lack was injured, or that Lack's style didn't mesh with the coach/system, etc..etc.., but the fact of the matter is that Ward was better and I think the coaches likely feel more comfortable with Ward in a back-up role (and/or starter if Darling doesn't work out) than they do Lack.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Remind me to not take advice on the stock market from you.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I think it's simply because in the past 2 seasons, Ward has been the better goalie. We can argue that Lack didn't get as much of a chance, or that Lack was injured, or that Lack's style didn't mesh with the coach/system, etc..etc.., but the fact of the matter is that Ward was better and I think the coaches likely feel more comfortable with Ward in a back-up role (and/or starter if Darling doesn't work out) than they do Lack.

I assume it will be Lack just because Ward has a limited NTC whereas Lack has nothing. Thus, trading Lack has potentially more landing spots than Ward would have...especially if you consider Ward will probably nix trades to a few of the obvious clubs that might need a goalie or backup.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Perhaps the new goalie coach will have an opinion that sways them toward one goalie or the other.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's just a tough spot. Because Derek Ryan is such a good dude that everyone wants it for him. Peters has known him since he was a Junior player and it's a good story, but aside from his contributions on the draw he's below replacement level at any slot above 4th line. Giving him back to Peters is giving Peters an invitation to overslot him again and that's dangerous to the ambition of the team. I have no interest in being the torch bearer at the crusade against Derek Ryan, but he's simply not a Top 9 player and with this extension it seems that he's going to be put in a similar situation as last year where he gets prime icetime in offensive situations. The timing of it does make it seem really curious as well, because it's like this wouldn't have been a consideration had we found the trade we wanted. The only thing to really hope is that he proves the doubters wrong and has an explosive season and doesn't just replicate last year. Because we simply need more from his slot in the lineup.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He's saying next year. Read the post.

I did. I'm saying I don't the Canes sign him to a 2 year 2.5M/year contract next year. They signed him to a 1 year deal as a stopgap measure. If they wanted him for 2 or 3 years, they would have done that already IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I assume it will be Lack just because Ward has a limited NTC whereas Lack has nothing. Thus, trading Lack has potentially more landing spots than Ward would have...especially if you consider Ward will probably nix trades to a few of the obvious clubs that might need a goalie or backup.

That will be part of it, but I don't see any chance that Bill Peters is going to lobby for Lack over Ward right now. He's been pretty clear over the last 2 seasons who he prefers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad