Salary Cap: Offseason Hypothetical: Would you spend 20% of the Leafs cap on one player?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
TB is in a much better position to be successful so I don't know about sputtering.

Drouin will replace St Louis within a couple seasons, they gotta boost their top 6 a bit and the bottom 6 will need work. Add in the bad need for better d-men(which they did with Stralman though)

They are one of the top teams in the east though for sure, but they still have a couple holes(at least compared to the west).

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Well, that would be the best case scenario for us....for him to walk out of Tampa as a free agent and right into our lineup, to play with Kessel, Kadri, Nylander, Rielly, Gardiner......It would be amazing for us.

But why would Tampa just let him walk away, without getting a ton in return. They'd trade him first, no?

So, they trade him somewhere as a rental and he walks as a UFA from the renting team.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Of course the Leafs would and should for the right player. If the Leafs had the opportunity to sign Crosby for %20 of the cap, they would be crazy not too (oh to dream). Crosby and Kessel would be unreal together. :yo:

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
If we could undo the Clarkson contract, then yes in a heartbeat to one of the top 5 players in the world;Crosby,Malkin,Toews,Stamkos,or Tavares.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we could undo the Clarkson contract, then yes in a heartbeat to one of the top 5 players in the world;Crosby,Malkin,Toews,Stamkos,or Tavares.

Leafs reserved a lot of cap space by not re-signing Bolland, Raymond and Kulemin. It looks like they're trying to stay lean to re-sign their own RFAs and keep the decks clear for a more special buy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs reserved a lot of cap space by not re-signing Bolland, Raymond and Kulemin. It looks like they're trying to stay lean to re-sign their own RFAs and keep the decks clear for a more special buy.

The raises of Kessel, and Phaneuf and the expected raises of RFA Gardiner, Franson and Reimer and next year Kadri and Bernier all need to be accounted for in the planning process.

Leafs currently have $12.6 mil in space and with Gardiner (~$3 mil), + Franson (~$3 mil) and Reimer (~$2 mil) = $8 mil it will leave about $4 mil free to resign Holland and Ashton (~$1 mil each).

Leaving the Leafs with basically the Gleason buyout free cap space this season. Leafs couldn't have afforded to pay their own departing players their salaries even if they wanted to because of limited cap resources.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
20% makes zero sense, and would catastrophically cripple a team.

There isn't a player good enough to warrant that kind of money.

Not Stamkos, not Weber, not even a cybernetically enhanced super-human clone of Wayne Gretzky.

Unless the player can cover all 5 positions (D and F) during the entire game, so you only need a goalie and a few benchwarmers that can do PK work. Otherwise your team would be incapable of solidly competing.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Use our muscle.

Yes, AINEC, for the right player.

In a cap era, there is no benefit to being a powerhouse financial team like the Leafs.

The only way the MLSE can exploit their vast financial resources is hiring top-end coaches and management, and trainers/scouting.

Thinking the Leafs can pay someone 20% of the cap because the Leafs are rich is insane!

MrLegend28*

20% makes zero sense, and would catastrophically cripple a team.

There isn't a player good enough to warrant that kind of money.

Not Stamkos, not Weber, not even a cybernetically enhanced super-human clone of Wayne Gretzky.

Unless the player can cover all 5 positions (D and F) during the entire game, so you only need a goalie and a few benchwarmers that can do PK work. Otherwise your team would be incapable of solidly competing.

theres no player in the nhl worth 13.9 mil when Toews/Kane got what, 10-11 mil each? really?

Nathan McKinnon is 19 yrs old and a monster already. I'd def give him 14/yr when hes like 22-23.

MrLegend28*

In a cap era, there is no benefit to being a powerhouse financial team like the Leafs.

The only way the MLSE can exploit their vast financial resources is hiring top-end coaches and management, and trainers/scouting.

Thinking the Leafs can pay someone 20% of the cap because the Leafs are rich is insane!

you literally just answered why theres benefits to having money. You can grab all the great coaches, scouts and such to help your team get better without the cap. :shakehead

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
If Stamkos REALLY has his sights set of Toronto(he probably doesn't but it's nice to imagine it.....) then Tampa and Toronto should work out a trade soon, before he walks away from them as a free agent and they get nothing for him.

To Toronto: Steven Stamkos

To Tampa: Kessel, Kadri, 2015 1st, 2016 2nd

Boom. :)

JVR - Stamkos - Santorelli
Lupul - Bozak - Clarkson
Komarov - Kontiola - Frattin
Bodie - Holland - Ashton

God that would be a horrible trade. Especially if there's enough speculation to warrant a good suspicion that Stamkos would walk.

You'd only pull that kind of trade to pry him away from Tampa. If Stamkos were going to walk, say during the last year of his contract, I'd offer up no more than Kadri and a 2016 1st/2nd pick before the deadline, so we could at least get in first and work out a contract before the UFA madness would hit.

You don't solve the problem at C by creating a huge hole on the wing. Not to mention auctioning off a good chunk of our top-end future in the draft. That trade is essentially 3 1sts and a 2nd for a guy who might very well walk, and not cost you any of those. If the Kadri deal is not enough, worst case scenario, and I mean WORST, you'd 1-for-1 Kessel for Stamkos in that case.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
God that would be a horrible trade. Especially if there's enough speculation to warrant a good suspicion that Stamkos would walk.

You'd only pull that kind of trade to pry him away from Tampa. If Stamkos were going to walk, say during the last year of his contract, I'd offer up no more than Kadri and a 2016 1st/2nd pick before the deadline, so we could at least get in first and work out a contract before the UFA madness would hit.

You don't solve the problem at C by creating a huge hole on the wing. Not to mention auctioning off a good chunk of our top-end future in the draft. That trade is essentially 3 1sts and a 2nd for a guy who might very well walk, and not cost you any of those. If the Kadri deal is not enough, worst case scenario, and I mean WORST, you'd 1-for-1 Kessel for Stamkos in that case.

LOL. And many, many, many, MANY other teams would offer much more, and Tampa would trade him elsewhere.

You don't get Steven Stamkos for less than a ton.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
If Stamkos REALLY has his sights set of Toronto(he probably doesn't but it's nice to imagine it.....) then Tampa and Toronto should work out a trade soon, before he walks away from them as a free agent and they get nothing for him.

To Toronto: Steven Stamkos

To Tampa: Kessel, Kadri, 2015 1st, 2016 2nd

Boom. :)

JVR - Stamkos - Santorelli
Lupul - Bozak - Clarkson
Komarov - Kontiola - Frattin
Bodie - Holland - Ashton

Ouch, after the first line that team looks terrible. We would probably miss the playoffs by a lot, and not have our first rounder to show for it. If Stamkos was serious about coming to Toronto, why would he gut the team he's going to? Doesn't make sense, when he could just sign as a UFA.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Short list for me is...

- Weber
- Suter
- Pietro
-Stamkos
- Crosby

Notice how they are all #1D and #1C.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
LOL. And many, many, many, MANY other teams would offer much more, and Tampa would trade him elsewhere.

That's true, but if Tampa Bay is pulling the chute on Stamkos and willing to trade him as he approaches free agency, I would just be waiting there July 1 with a truck full of money and not worry about where he's going as a rental.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Stamkos or Tavares 110%

If we can offload Lupul and Clarkson 's(lol) salary there is your money right there

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

You're overlooking one key thing here, Stamkos has a MMC in the 2015-2016 season. That gives him total control. Remember the mess that was the Luongo situation? Because of the power he had, Vancouver had to settle for significantly less than they potentially could have gotten for him if he did not have that clause.

IF Stamkos tells Tampa 2 seasons from now "Guys, I'm not looking to re-sign here. I want to go to Toronto (he likely would offer more than one team for consideration, but let's just hope this is what he says)."
Guess what? Toronto has all the bargaining power right now. Right now Tampa either lets him walk for nothing after the draft, or they work out something with Toronto so they can get something in return.

Kadri and a 1st/2nd (maybe both a 1st and a 2nd) and hell, let's throw in a prospect while we're at it, just to have Stamkos for a month or two guaranteed is not underpayment considering the circumstances. And if that's not enough, 1-for-1 Kessel For Stamkos IF Kessel is willing to go to Tampa (again! More clauses!). Kessel's still an elite talent, and locked in for I think 5 more seasons after that one. Tampa would not turn down a gift like that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You're overlooking one key thing here, Stamkos has a MMC in the 2015-2016 season. That gives him total control. Remember the mess that was the Luongo situation? Because of the power he had, Vancouver had to settle for significantly less than they potentially could have gotten for him if he did not have that clause.

IF Stamkos tells Tampa 2 seasons from now "Guys, I'm not looking to re-sign here. I want to go to Toronto (he likely would offer more than one team for consideration, but let's just hope this is what he says)."
Guess what? Toronto has all the bargaining power right now. Right now Tampa either lets him walk for nothing after the draft, or they work out something with Toronto so they can get something in return.

Kadri and a 1st/2nd (maybe both a 1st and a 2nd) and hell, let's throw in a prospect while we're at it, just to have Stamkos for a month or two guaranteed is not underpayment considering the circumstances. And if that's not enough, 1-for-1 Kessel For Stamkos IF Kessel is willing to go to Tampa (again! More clauses!). Kessel's still an elite talent, and locked in for I think 5 more seasons after that one. Tampa would not turn down a gift like that.

Let's say it's the trade deadline and it becomes obvious Stamkos wants out of Tampa Bay. If I'm the Leafs, I sit back and wait till July 1, and keep all my assets. I don't go piss away Kessel, Kadri or any picks or prospects to get Stamkos a few games early because those are guys who can help Stamkos when he gets here.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Stamkos leaves Tampa Bay, it will be to come to Toronto.

Just a hunch.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Did I miss something? Is stamkos coming home? :D

We already overpaying for kessel/phaneuf why wouldn't I want to pay for an actual elite 2 way type of player?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

And you're overlooking something.........they MIGHT want to trade him before his NMC kicks in, to get maximum value for him. They're not stupid y'know. They have one of the top three players in the game today and he's only 24 years old. If it's looking like he's going to leave, they will trade him for as much as they can possibly get.

Would I prefer he simply walk over here as a UFA for nothing in 2016? For sure!! Who wouldn't. But if we want to make sure we get him, we might have to trade to get him. And Tampa's not going to simply get "Kadri and a pick" for Steven Stamkos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad