Salary Cap: Offseason Hypothetical: Would you spend 20% of the Leafs cap on one player?

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
The NHL's CBA allows teams to spend, at maximum, 20% of their cap on a single player. God's good graces shine upon us and we are presented the opportunity to land a top 5 player in the league. This player will not accept anything less than the league maximum in terms of both salary and contract length (eg. 7 years @ $13.8MM in 2014-15 with $69MM cap). Player would be 26 years-old at the start of the contract and fills a positional need.

Would you do it?

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
The NHL's CBA allows teams to spend, at maximum, 20% of their cap on a single player. God's good graces shine upon us and we are presented the opportunity to land a top 5 player in the league. This player will not accept anything less than the league maximum in terms of both salary and contract length (eg. 7 years @ $13.8MM in 2014-15 with $69MM cap). Player would be 26 years-old at the start of the contract and fills a positional need.

Would you do it?

Over-valued, plus players perform better when expectations are low, we should know that by now pretty well

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Crosby is the only player worth that much. Stamkos is a better Kessel, offensively. Both play defense like it would kill them

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
7 years ago the cap was 50.3m and 20% of the cap would be about 10m.

Players who were around 26 years old 7 years ago that could be theoretically signed then are players such as Thornton, Sedin's, or Lecavalier. All were fantastic in their primes, but I wouldn't be wanting to pay them 10m any of the last few seasons.

For 20% to work I believe it would truly have to be a generational player such as Crosby to be worthwhile.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
Crosby is the only player worth that much. Stamkos is a better Kessel, offensively. Both play defense like it would kill them

Sure but it's pretty likely that Stamkos is going to break the bank given the potential cap increase over the next two years. I bet he gets at least 13 under an 80 mil cap ceiling... maybe even up to 17%. Interesting to note that Crosby is getting 12 mil in actual dollars for the first 3 years of his contract...

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Stamkos favorited a tweet to a Sun article about the Leafs needed their own homecoming in 2016 with Stamkos or something

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Sure but it's pretty likely that Stamkos is going to break the bank given the potential cap increase over the next two years. I bet he gets at least 13 under an 80 mil cap ceiling... maybe even up to 17%. Interesting to note that Crosby is getting 12 mil in actual dollars for the first 3 years of his contract...

No doubt him and Malkin will get max dollars in free agency

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Never, even if its crosby, suter, malkin, tavares, stamkos, weber, ovy, etc. Using rudimentary math, it is just not efficient to allocate a large portion of the cap hit to one player.

Best offensive players always get shut down. Look at Crosby and Ovechkin against Montreal in 2009-10 season where he got shut down and boston against vancouver where the nucks' top two lines were rendered obsolete.
You can try to use the 2008-09 pens cup run as a counter argument except malkin had a 4mil cap hit, therefore able to allocate money in defense.

Stanley cup winning teams can have a strong #1 D, but depth is what earns that cup. I cannot think of an example where a defenseman was paid 20% of salary.

Allocating 20% of cap would only work in individual sports such as bball, or maybe soccer. Hockey is not really an individual sport. Players can bring so many dimensions to their game.

Also: Are posters not aware that one of the biggest problems the leafs continue to have is that they are extremely inefficient at allocating dollars? It is almost as if they do not correctly measure cap hits against performance.
Reference: Jeff Finger, Mike Komisarek, Tim Connolly, Colby Armstrong, Mikhail Grabovski (1mil too high, rather Grabo than clarkson). Leafs will get better results through prudent spending.

Last edited:

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
i would rather wrap up 1 bonafied player then drop 5 million on a bunch of players like Clarkson the way the leafs are prone to doing anyways.

When a player such as Dubinsky is getting around 6 million, why even think twice about paying a Stamkos type player 11-12 million? You do it, you have to. You fill a spot with a rookie and that is already a better team then 2 Dubinsky's for example. You need a couple game breakers on your team ,and thats what Chicago just paid for. Even if it means gutting a part of their team. They did it once before after their last cup win and then won another cup a few years later. The cap will go up. When you can sign a big name player you do it and a couple years later when the cap is up you are laughing. Also im referring to someone that would be around Crosby/Stamkos age hitting UFA (26/27 years old type thing).

- NOT Brad Richards garbage

If we re-signed Kessel now compared to when we did, we'd be paying another 1 mil/year the way the market is going, at the least. A year from now? Kessel would be getting 10M/year if signed in 2015. You create cap space by acquiring the top end talent by all means necessary and the gap of 2 years for the cap to rise lets you create a contender.

Don't pay stamkos 13mil in 2016, couple years later 15 mil is the norm or something absurd.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
A) crosby is the only player worth that much now
b) at 26 crosby would not be worth that deal. I would sign a 23 year old to that deal. Anyone older won't be worth it by the time the deal ends

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Not going to lie if the Leafs picked up either Kane or Toews in free agency I'd probably be stoked. Even for that price

Going to vote yes

Kyle Doobas*

He went all Evander Kane in twitter, but because it wasn't Kane its a good thing.
He posted a picture of himself holding a wad of cash with the name of Nicky Minaj's record label shaved into his head?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
If Stamkos REALLY has his sights set of Toronto(he probably doesn't but it's nice to imagine it.....) then Tampa and Toronto should work out a trade soon, before he walks away from them as a free agent and they get nothing for him.

To Toronto: Steven Stamkos

To Tampa: Kessel, Kadri, 2015 1st, 2016 2nd

Boom. :)

JVR - Stamkos - Santorelli
Lupul - Bozak - Clarkson
Komarov - Kontiola - Frattin
Bodie - Holland - Ashton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad