Speculation: Offseason changes. You are the GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Throwing out other random names....various positions.

Pierre Lacroix
Mark Messier
Pat Lafontaine

Say NO to Messier!

The more I read about that guy the less I like him. He's an egotistical maniac and downright dogged it when he signed with the Canucks.

Being under Sather's "tutelage" isn't earning him any points either.

I like Lafontaine but its twice now that he was let go/left a management position within a few months of getting the job. Also he is a former nemesis.

Lacroix seemed to run out of gas there.

Interesting stuggestions tho

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
I wish Grabovski were 6'4" 225. There's nothing wrong with him, but I don't see us competing with Backstrom-Grabovski-Laich-Latta down the middle. That's middling to poor depending on how the pride of the Kloten Flyers comes back.

Completely disagree.... I don't see our center depth as a problem at all.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
Care to elaborate? One built a two-time Cup winner, one won multiple Cups as a player and the two younger guys have been in the grooming process for NHL management at one time or another.

Sorry. I thought you were being a smart ass and suggesting them as players. haha You changed gears on me and went management.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Say NO to Messier!

The more I read about that guy the less I like him. He's an egotistical maniac and downright dogged it when he signed with the Canucks.

Being under Sather's "tutelage" isn't earning him any points either.

I like Lafontaine but its twice now that he was let go/left a management position within a few months of getting the job. Also he is a former nemesis.

Lacroix seemed to run out of gas there.

Interesting stuggestions tho

Hmm I have yet to read anything horribly negative about Messier around the front office experience. Guy is a winner and one of the greatest leaders of all time.

Lacroix stepped aside for Sakic, but maybe he wants to take another shot?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Hmm I have yet to read anything horribly negative about Messier around the front office experience. Guy is a winner and one of the greatest leaders of all time.

Lacroix stepped aside for Sakic, but maybe he wants to take another shot?

Go do a search on Messier's time with the Canucks and what fans think of him. I'll give you a small start but there are tons of articles and posts about it:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=789382

Its pretty brutal.

He floated, didn't hit, basically brought in Keenan and totally destroyed them. Even Rangers fans hated him his second stint since the guy would simply not go away.

He WAS considered a great leader at one time. After winning a cup with NY things got to his head in a big way.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'd shy away from LaFontaine and Messer, if only because big name players tend to get into higher level management positions without actually deserving them.

I'd be all about Lacroix in a high-level advisory position or team President.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Regardless of any player movement if the decision is to keep Oates I would have a long talk with Oates about his handedness OCD. I would explain to him that I will certainly keep his preferences in mind for any FUTURE roster moves but for the team he has now he needs to play his best players at their best positions. Or else he goes.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Regardless of any player movement if the decision is to keep Oates I would have a long talk with Oates about his handedness OCD. I would explain to him that I will certainly keep his preferences in mind for any FUTURE roster moves but for the team he has now he needs to play his best players at their best positions. Or else he goes.

The fate of Oates:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't think Having Wilson in the top 6 would be a good idea. IMO just not skilled enough

ES he'd still be far better choice than either Brouwer or Johansson. They are good on the PP but especially Johansson is pretty much useless ES, and Brouwer has only been good in the recent few months. Also when you are thinking about the 1st line (Backstrom, Ovechkin) it does not necessarily need more skill, but grit and willingness to drive the net and cause havoc to create room for those 2. If they moved Grabo and Kuznetsov back to the 2nd line then same thing could be said about them.

It's not that he's top-6 player now, or even close to being one. It's just that he's better option than few of the guys they have there now.

I'd like to see him get a shot in these last few games to see what he can do with over 10 minutes of ice-time and better linemates, now that the season is over. It gives you some kind of idea where his development is at right now.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
ES he'd still be far better choice than either Brouwer or Johansson. They are good on the PP but especially Johansson is pretty much useless ES, and Brouwer has only been good in the recent few months.

It's not that he's top-6 player now, or even close to being one. It's just that he's better option than few of the guys they have there now.

I'd like to see him get a shot in these last few games to see what he can do with over 10 minutes of ice-time and better linemates, now that the season is over. It gives you some kind of idea where his development is at right now.

But will Oates do this? Seems to me he is indeed reaching Mike Shanahan levels of self destruction.

Wilson definitely has top 6 potential but he needs to be put in those positions to learn.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd shy away from LaFontaine and Messer, if only because big name players tend to get into higher level management positions without actually deserving them.

I'd be all about Lacroix in a high-level advisory position or team President.

Sure, agreed, the name and playing career doesn't hurt if you were a star. Exactly the position I was thinking of for Lacriox.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Wilson should spend a season in hershey to work on his skill game before being promoted to scoring lines for the caps.

I could care less if we keep Grabo or not and seeing he has not signed an extension yet hes likely going to test UFA.

Laich and Brouwer are prob back unless trades are made

Green is worth keeping to let new coach work with and would like to see back on the PP.

Move Ovie back to LW

With what we have now
Ovie Nick Kuz
Liach Mojo Brouwer
Chim Fehr Ward
grinders

Calrson Alz
Green Orlov
scrubs

In offseason i would target 2 defenders and second liners because Laich is so injury prone we need more top 6 players

Not sure i would prefer trade or FA it depends how the market shakes out.

but i would consider targeting Kesler in trade or Ryan Callahan via FA, maybe a winger as well.

Markov would be someone i would look into signing and even Orpik

Ovie NB Kuz
Fehr or upgrade Callahan Brouwer
Chim Mojo Ward

Carlson Alz
Green Markov
Orlov Orpik

Holtby

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Go do a search on Messier's time with the Canucks and what fans think of him. I'll give you a small start but there are tons of articles and posts about it:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=789382

Its pretty brutal.

He floated, didn't hit, basically brought in Keenan and totally destroyed them. Even Rangers fans hated him his second stint since the guy would simply not go away.

He WAS considered a great leader at one time. After winning a cup with NY things got to his head in a big way.

I don't care about the Canucks. Anything horrible when he was close to the top with the Rangers management? More current and relevant. Who cares about the last years of his playing career now? I tell you who...fans who hold a grudge.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Paul Ranger is an interesting name you "just picked". I have not seen him play that much but there is something about his game I like. 29yr old UFA @ $1M last season. 6'3" 210 left hander. He has a physical edge to him. Even +/- if you care about that. Hmmmm

I know he is a ufa on a team likely to make changes. I like his physical game. I am not sure how he fits otherwise

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't care about the Canucks. Anything horrible when he was close to the top with the Rangers management? More current and relevant. Who cares about the last years of his playing career now? I tell you who...fans who hold a grudge.

His 2nd stint with the Rangers was equally bad trust me. Rangers fans were begging for him to beat it. He became an egotistical diva.

The guy changed for the worse. His absolute first move would be to bring in Keenan....think about that.

I know he is a ufa on a team likely to make changes. I like his physical game. I am not sure how he fits otherwise

Bottom pairing dman with some vet experience. He had a ton of potential before his leave of absence. Glad he is back in the league.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
His 2nd stint with the Rangers was equally bad trust me. Rangers fans were begging for him to beat it. He became an egotistical diva.

The guy changed for the worse. His absolute first move would be to bring in Keenan....think about that.

Bottom pairing dman with some vet experience. He had a ton of potential before his leave of absence. Glad he is back in the league.

I think ownership would crush a Keenan idea instantly. Next fear?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think Having Wilson in the top 6 would be a good idea. IMO just not skilled enough

he's no less skilled than mike knuble who was the perfect 3rd on a high end first line.

I wouldn't put him on the first line but he creates space. he cant be moved in front of the net. and nick backstrom wont get another chicken wing elbow to the head again with 43 on the ice with him.

I am fine with all of that.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think ownership would crush a Keenan idea instantly. Next fear?

That will be part of the Messier package. Where he goes Keenan will follow.

Also he has zero GM experience and will be a bigger disaster than Gretzky was in Phoenix.

There is a reason he likes Keenan...they think alike. To me thats scary. Mass exodus of young players would occur for old crusty vets past their prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad